Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has some billionaire ever come along and said 'I want to make a ski resort'?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, a discussion came up on what you would do if money was no object.

I was wondering, has there ever been a situation where there was a large piece of mountain terrain with huge potential but no infrastructure and a single rich person came along and turned it into a ski resort?

How many billions are we talking to make 300km or so of piste accessible and skiable? Assume an access road through the mountains is already in place and there is enough terrain for a village base.

If money was no object, what would you like to see in your dream resort? I would probably have some sort of Tyrolean wooden chalet only rule first and foremost.

Apologies if in the wrong place. Just interested.
Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sort of but it's more the sort of chancers who cater for billionaires and then get involved in dubious bankruptcies
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yellowstone_Club

Walt Disney built Sugarbowl (actually wikipedia seems to indicate that he was more of a significant stockholder than outright owner).

I thought someone big owned Glacier 3000

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 29-09-14 18:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skiben, sort of - think Earl Holding, oil magnate. Although the places he bought already had limited skiing. One of which went on to host the Olympics while under his control.
His places have the most luxurious toilet facilities and mountain lodges, one resort( he owned two ) doesn't have on site accommodation, although that may change now.

Also W. Averell Harriman, developed Sun Valley first, but probably used the Union Pacific Railroad funds rather than his own, well you would if you could wink Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about Megève.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
another Dave McCoy, but wasn't a billionaire when he started but a made a little packet when selling Madeye-Smiley

It could be fun this, researching different ski areas. Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Flaine - Eric Boissonnas as here: http://pistehors.com/news/ski/comments/ric-boissonnas-the-billionnaire-poet/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sochi Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Robert Redford has Sundance, if that's what you mean. Other places have, of have had, single high net worth owners.

I'm not sure how much piste you'd need if there was just you - it all needs maintenance.

Wiegele was toying with the idea of building a private resort in Blue River - he has the pistes and logged the terrain, with plans showing houses for the rich and a few lifts on what is now basically Cat skiing terrain. We're talking 10 or twenty houses maximum there. It would/ will be a private resort, although it's state land, so sledders and hikers would have access, but not lift or heli access.

Me, I would not want to "own" a large ski area, that's too much like work, and it's hardly "private" in any sense. Rich people I've met tend to go the other way - find somewhere to park your G5 and your security, then just hire a heli. Don't need no stinkin' resorts!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Sochi

+ 1
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kim_Jong-un

He has done it. Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If I had that sort of money I'd just buy the land and a heli, and have a couple of pilots on retainer. Maybe a one lift or a cat too for storm days.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I think the title should be changed to has anyone without blood on their hands, or of a dubious character who is also a billionaire built a ski resort - this list would be short I imagine Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Oh lets not forget Sestriere built by the Fiat family , don't think they have blood on their hands just Rust !
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rob Mackley, That depends if the quality of their cars caused any accidents Fix It Again Tomorrow Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Andermatt, and Megeve, Megevee was purpose built by the Rothschild family, and for Andermatt some Egyptian Billionare has bought 50% of the land in the village and is redeveloping the whole place
ski holidays
Rob Mackley wrote:
Oh lets not forget Sestriere built by the Fiat family , don't think they have blood on their hands just Rust !

not sure as Gadaffi was a major share holder......... Cool
ski holidays
Quote:

iskar

Quote:

not sure as Gadaffi was a major share holder.........

Oh no not another ski loving Dictator ,

here's another Mossolini and Cervina
ski holidays
Going back to the original post, Denis Creissels, the lift engineer who originally designed the lift at La Grave, as well as many more in other resorts, later bought the lift from the bankrupt company running it. As far as I understand he is still bailing it out with his own money...........
snow report
Gianni Agnelli started Sestriere I believe
snow conditions
Dick Bass
snow conditions
Majid Al Futtaim ....
snow report
Alvin Cobabe, not a billionaire though Smile
ski holidays
Thanks guys Smile I probably didn't phrase it too well but I didn't mean a private playground type of deal but a resort for everyone.
ski holidays
Max Dercum founded Arapahoe Basin and Keystone in Colorado (actually, he co-founded it with others, but he was the driving force).

He wasn't a billionaire, though the fact that he did it proves it could be done by a billionaire.

They bought mining claims for $50 each on the mountain at A Basin, and opened the resort just after WW2. Lift tickets were $1.25.

They started Keystone in 1970, the Dercums having owned a ranch at the base of that hill (or hills) since before the war.

A few years ago, I had the pleasure of skiing with his wife Edna, then in her late 90s. She was a very tidy skier, though she didn't impress me in the park. A really nice woman with all her marbles.

She died the same year, sadly, though unrelatedly.
snow report
Portillo?
snow conditions
Earl Holding - owned both Sun Valley, Idaho and Snowbasin in Utah, extensively improving their facilities.
Dave McCoy - started Mammoth Mountain, Ca. running it until he sold it.
Alvin Cobabe - bought and started Powder Mtn Utah, until selling it in his old age.

None of them wanted the areas for their own private ski areas but for folks to use. They had a little cash and foresight, Earl though used his as a way of channeling tax dollars
Madeye-Smiley
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy