Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Watching German/Austrian TV

Poster: A snowHead
My dad has been moaning since he moved house that he can no longer watch German telly (shared sat dish not pointing to appropraite satellite). I finally got round to trying to use my UnoTelly DNS setings on his laptop and RESULT, he can now veiw streams from ORF and BR (haven't tried any othrs yet). I suspect I no longer need Eurosport. Now all Dad needs is a decent broadband contract.

UnoTelly costs $4.99 a month and will also allow yopu access to Netflix US (and others) if you have a subscription and Hulu (the free version-but you can always subscribe to Hulu Plus).

Worth a look as this is a topic that comes up quite frequently. Won't work on a hotel/work network.

https://www2.unotelly.com/home
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS I don't work for Uno Telly Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You can get a few channels on http://www.filmon.com/tv/live
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
googiew, sadly the good German ones (i.e. ZDF) switch off for many of the live events. For example, they were showing the Bayern Munich vs Man City match and I wanted to watch on my iPad in bed. Sadly shut down for the duration of the game. The majority of the rest on FilmOn are German Shopping/Travel sales channels.

Ghost Dog, I had a second LNB on my dish in the UK that was picking on the mainland channels. I'm living right on the German/Austrian border and can't get any of the main Austrian channels, even with a satellite dish feed. The Austrians have encrypted their Freeview so the Germans can't look without paying the Austrian license fee Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ghost Dog, Does he have to use the shared dish ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Samerberg Sue, as I recall it was actually Leo Kirch that forced the Austrians to stop broadcasting ORF 1 into Germany; their live broadcast of F1 and Skiing was messing up his game. Shame, cos the Austrian coverage of sporting events is 1000 times better than the German's.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last I checked you can get a few std def German channels inc Eurosport on Freesat which for some all they would have to do is have a dual lnb setup for their sky dish and those further north possibly a larger dish.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
speed098, You can get German HD channels free on satellite, some Freesat branded decoders will only lock onto the signal for the satellite that carries the UK channels though.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
iirc the German state and regional channels are free to air in SD and HD. most of the rest is encrypted in HD (Eurosport, RTL, etc.). some of those encrypted in HD are free to air in SD.
but you might need an el cheapo unbranded satellite box from any german leccy store or supermarket, and either a 2nd dish pointing towards 19.2E or a dual LNB thingumy.

was going to do that to get RTL here (for the F1) because they dropped it, or were going to drop it, from digital terrestrial, but then it suddenly appeared for free on cable.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang, yep it was, he did not like it that ÖRF1 & ÖRF 2 showed the same films as his channel post 20.15 with no commercial breaks. But the Austrians' response was to encrypt their Free to Air channels - I can see into Austria from my front windows but only get a black screen if I tune into ÖRF 1 or 2 and most of the other Austrian channels. The only one I get intermittently is Servus TV. Those of you on cable have it sussed, but there ain't no cable providers up 'ere in the mountains! Crying or Very sad
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
andy, There are some cheap boxes in the UK that work, I'm using one of these.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Samerberg Sue, I'm on Kabel Deutschland... only Servus (i.e Red Bull) TV for me as well. Pisses me off greatly.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Steilhang, depends on your provider then I suppose. I have friends in Rosenheim with ÖRF 1 & ÖRF 2 etc and also some in München. Me sitting right on the feckin border can only get the Red Bull blowing its own trumpet channel! Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My solution seems easier, Dad is watching the ORF streams quite happily on his laptop. He has to use the shared dish so extra lnb doesn't help. Anyway he is happy now.

And having an Uno Telly sub means I can watch Hulu Plus and use Pandora and iTunes Radio.

Question is, will the skiing be streamed?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I have friends in Rosenheim with ÖRF 1 & ÖRF 2 etc and also some in München.

so do they have Austrian tv license/Austrian pay tv, cant understand why you cant also get it unless they are looking at a different satellite Puzzled
latest report
it'll be on cable.
satellite is encrypted.
snow report
You can still get ÖRF 2 in analog on cable, not digital. ÖRF 1 was killed when Leo Kirch forced them to switch it off. I'm not sure how long the analog transmission is going to continue though.
latest report
geeo, Rosenheim, Munich and the other towns and cities have cable TV systems, I live in a small village halfway up a mountain and have satellite. Satellite is encrypted, cable, you pays your money .......etc!

I could quite easily buy a receiver in Austria and pay their license fee to get a viewing card, but I don't need to/want to. Anyone who owns a radio in Germany pays a license fee, you don't have any choice and it ain't cheap. As of 1st January 2013, I have to pay out 17.98 Euro a month for German TV and radio regardless of how many TVs and radios I have (or not). If I have none I have to prove it, and computers now count in the calculations! The license fee in Austria is between 19.78 Euro in Oberösterreich and 25.18 Euro a month in the Steirmark. I don't watch enough TV, nor do I want to to justify that!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy