Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Resort that is also good for none-skiers (i.e walkers / hikers)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi All,

Every year we have 2 people in our group who are none skiers, and they love to go walking as an alternative.

With this in mind, we will be going for our annual snowboard holiday again at the begiining of January and I need some
advise / tips / experience on which ski resorts is best that will also accomodate none skiers.

2 years ago we stayed @ Les Arcs 1600 and with there pedestrian lift pass , they had great use of lots
of gondolas and fair amount of chair lifts aswell so that was great. They also had the options to venture down to Bourg St Maurice
and explore the town etc.

The following year we stayed in the neighbouring valley (La Plagne) ... Les Coches to be precised and whilst the runs were
great for us snowboarders, there were nowere near as many optiolns available for walkers on a pedestrian pass.

They actually ran out of things to do half way through the week with the limited choices of were they could walk to.
To even get to the next town level (Plagne 1800 As an example) they had to get a bus up to it...which sort of defeats the object
of walking really! They had already experienced Les Arcs & Bourg the year earlier so they didnt want to do that again.

As its just as much their holiday as it is ours, i need some advice on really good ski resorts (prefibly French Alps ... though open
to other suggestions aswell) with a snow-sure altitude of at least 1600 that would fit this criteria.

I did hear Morizine would of been a good option but we decided against it due to its not very high altitude, and
lasdt years snow in January during the week we were there (ironically) wasn't he best as we had 4cm in the whole week....but I
know you cant control the weather!

So peeps, I need some suggestions / experience of resorts of at least 1600 or higher (1800 - 2000 would be ideal ha!) that
will be suitable for walkers To explore all the area + plenty of apres ski .

I under
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

To even get to the next town level (Plagne 1800 As an example) they had to get a bus up to it...which sort of defeats the object
of walking really!

I disagree. Many really good walks require me to drive to or get a bus to the start. and for a walker is that really not that much different than getting a ski lift. But I do agree about Arc1600. Lots of lovely walks in the Malgovert forest and between the villages down to Bourg as well as proper hill walking (I assume your friends are properly equipped with snow shows, crampons, Ice axes etc) . Vallandry may be an even better choice where by using the bus service and going up to the Vanoise National Park some beautiful terrain up to the lac La Plagne becomes available.

Other resorts you may not of thought of are Les Sept Laux and the Belledonne, Similarly the other side of the hill you have the Les Sybelles resorts. Of course there are the dolomites which would require a couple of hundred pages to give any justice to (and are not in France).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the info there.

Do you (or anybody else) know if Tignes is suitable for none pedestrians?

Some of our group want to go to Tignes, but I need to find out if it is indeed sutable for none skiers aswell.

Its about as snow-sure as you can get but I also know that in bad weather with lots of snow you can get
pure white outs up there.... just like Val Thorens etc.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't think Tignes is good for walkers - Maybe you should have a look at Avoriaz - Seem to remember lots of marked walks/pedestrian lift pass etc there - more on a par with the Les Arcs set-up
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At 1500m, so a bit lower than you've specified, is Monetier les Bain in Serre Chevalier. Loads of walking along trails in the larch forests, plenty of alternative activities, excellent valley bus service and the interesting town of Briancon (the old, fortified section). There are also valley walks and the other main villages in Serre Chevalier offer variety.

The uplift from any of the main villages provide access to areas where skiers and non-skiers can easily meet for lunch etc.

As for Apres, well its not banging, but there are some reasonably lively options.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Si_Dean, I agree with johnE, about Vallandry - plenty of walking - although I'm not sure about walking to Lac de la Plagne in the winter. But the bit of the park they allow you access to is beautiful & I can recommend it for snowshoeing. It's a beautiful walk there from Vallandry too - & you can get the bus home if you don't fancy the uphill walk on the way home. Nice restaurant down by the NOrdic centre too. Have you thought about Chamonix? Plenty for non-skiers there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do they do any snow shoe hiking?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wengen - the only downside is the walkers pass is very little difference in price from the skier pass. Loads of pisted and well signed walking routes across the Jungfrau area. The walk from Lauterbrunnen down to Interlaken is great. Lauterbrunnen up to Isenfluh - great views of the rock formation and a very steep scramble back down to Zweilutschinen. Mannlichen to Kleine Scheidegg is a great hike - sadly the odd piste to negotiate. Also on the Murren side the walk from the of of the cable car at Grutschalp to Murren. These are from experience but I am sure there are many more
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Depending on the terrain you want for the skiers/boarders, Chamonix could be a very good option. Plenty of snow-shoeing and pedestrian lifts to restaurants and good views, excellent apres, quite a few spas, and other entertainment like bowling, ice-hockey matches etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Best options for this kind of thing are places like Grand Bornand, Samoens, Les Gets, etc.

Lower altitude, but there's really no need to go super-high in January.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ok, thanks guys.

im gonna do some looking into the aforementioned resorts

:0)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Si_Dean, I'll second what Cacciatore said about Serre Chevalier and Monetier-les-Bains, and add on the suggestion of the thermal spa for both skiers and non-skiers.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ Fixx: You have mentioned Chamonix as being a possible option ....what is the actual piste area like for snowboarding / skiing ?

Is there just the one mountain or is there 3 valleys (like val thorens / meribel / corchavel as an example), and if there is more than one local area, are the area passes
that you buy all linked with each other via a chair lift or cable car (like the vanoise express as an example)

With regards to pedestrian pass, is there a lot of choice on offer for walking and access to chairlifts were we can meet up with them in the afternnon?

What is the apres ski like ?

The above questions are also open to anybody else with 'Chamonix' experience / knowledge.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Si_Dean, Chamonix Valley has several different areas, not lift-linked. From gentle pisted areas to the gnarliest off piste you could wish for. Not comparable with the 3 Valleys - not really suitable for somebody who is looking for that kind of vast area of lift-linked skiing and might be wasted on people who are not interested in skiing off-piste. Mountain scenery in a totally different league from most other resorts. Piste maps etc etc etc available on the internet, of course. And information on snow-shoe walks at http://www.chamonix.com/pdf/plan-itineraire-raquette.pdf

Plenty of apres ski - it's a big town with loads going on year-round.

You can go up the Aiguille du Midi cable car - highest in Europe. A stunning experience (pick a warmish and sunny day - when we did it we were in T shirts in the car park, with loads of layers to put on, and it was still perishing cold up the top). No walking right at the top level AFAIK but it's where you start the off-piste descent of the Vallee Blanche run (with a guide). I did see a couple of guys who had climbed UP, clambering over the railings onto the observation platform but they weren't your average hikers. And they were very pee'd off to have to pay to go down in the lift. Laughing

Plenty of options to meet up, I should think, though I've only used the Chamonix lifts for walking in summer, so am not best placed to advise.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
We had a non-skier this year who found plenty of walking in Saalbach/Hinterglemm (guided walks were laid on by the tourist offices in both villages). Also options of a bus to Zell am See and an excursion to Salzburg.
snow report
More about Saalbach for non-skiers on this thread > http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112197&highlight=

As well as walkers being able to access most areas by gondola, there are nice walks along the valley, a 'Sunshine Promenade' walk above Saalbach and a couple of hikes up the mountain, e.g. to Spielberghaus or Rosswaldhutte - so plenty of options if everyone wants to meet up for lunch or après on the mountain. A 7-day walkers' ticket (Sonnenkarte) costs €75.50 and gives 2 uplifts per day, or single tickets can be bought at all the lift stations.
latest report
Many thanks for all your comments, this is really helpfull.

Another suggestion that's been made to me is (Alpe d'Huez). Has anybody been here, would you recommend.

Majority of our group (those that ski) will be sticking to mainly reds + blues ...although I do enjoy a good old long blak run occasionally. Would this resort fit the criteria?

What is this resort like for apres ski and is it ok for none-skiers to get around and meet up with us in the day etc ??
ski holidays
Si_Dean,
Quote:

I do enjoy a good old long blak run occasionally. Would this resort fit the criteria?

I think Alpe d'Huez has the longest, but to be controversial I think Les Arcs has the biggest vertical drop
snow report
Si_Dean wrote:
Many thanks for all your comments, this is really helpfull.

Another suggestion that's been made to me is (Alpe d'Huez). Has anybody been here, would you recommend.

Majority of our group (those that ski) will be sticking to mainly reds + blues ...although I do enjoy a good old long blak run occasionally. Would this resort fit the criteria?

What is this resort like for apres ski and is it ok for none-skiers to get around and meet up with us in the day etc ??

I think there are better options covering all the considerations listed.

Re reds + blues and the odd long black: most definitely, and some. You wouldn't be disappointed.

Re apres ski: I didn't find it that amazing to be honest, though to be fair I was staying at the top of the resort and didn't venture to the lower area (too far and couldn't be arsed).

Re non-skiers meeting up: certainly there are lift options, but again, the non-skiers may need to walk a bit of a distance to get to the telecabins, depending on where you stay.
ski holidays
I would also suggest Saalbach-Hinterglemm (as per quinton's post). As well as the facilities in the resort itself, they would be able to take the Post Bus to Zell am See and (potentially) walk across the frozen lake. There are also horse-drawn sleigh rides up the top end of the valley in Hinterglemm (last stop on the valley ski bus) to a lovely mountain restaurant.
ski holidays
Has anybody been to Morzine and Val D'sere ....... what is the apres ski like round here ?

More importantly, I beleive Morzine is a propper traditional french town so is there more to do here for none skiers ?

As per everyones helpfull advice above i still cannot decide on a resort, and the likes of Val D'sere & Morzine keep cropping up? Puzzled
latest report
Si_Dean, Take a look at Serre Chevalier as there is an easy link down to Briançon and it provides plenty of non-skiing activities in the resorts themselves (3 interconnected villages).

You are missing out a lot by sticking to France by the way - the Italians do non-skiing activities in their resorts as many families travel with grandparents, aged aunts, etc to ensure there is on-site babysitting. The Austrians also have a really wide mix of activities in most resorts. If it has to be France look further south than the haute Savoie, you'll be surprised at how much you get for your money! Very Happy
snow report
My vast range of Alp knowledge ... is errh not that much !

Can you name some resorts that further south of the Haute Savoie?
snow report
Si_Dean, Well, the major ones outside the Haute Savoie include the Tarrentaise resorts such as Val d'Isere (which you mentioned), the Isere resorts of Alpe d'huex, les 2 Alpes, and those usually considered as the southern alpes such as Serre Chevalier, Isola 2000. In fact a large proportion of the French ski resorts are south of the Haute Savoie
latest report
Si_Dean, I can't really comment on good resorts for non skiers, but I will say that you seem to be limited yourself unduly by concentrating on high altitude French megaresorts. Many of these resorts were purpose built for skiers and tend to be quite limited for non skiers. You might find better options in Switzerland., Italy or Austria. Altitude becomes less important the further east you go in the Alps. I'd guess 1,800 meters in France equals 1,500 meters in Switzerland and 1,200 meters in Austria.

I'll also recommend a book which will go a long way to improving your Ski resort knowledge, 'Where to Ski and Snowboard', the 2015 edition has recently been published. It gives detailed impartial information on pretty much all the mid sized and large resorts in Europe and N America, and includes comments on suitability for non skiers.http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/the-book/
snow conditions
How about Ortesei in the Dolomites? It's a proper town situated just down the valley from Selva, where you can access the Sella Ronda. It has it's own ski area as well and the Val Gardena is close by too.
snow conditions
Si_Dean, IO can't comment on most places but I know Serre Chevalier and IMHO it would be a good choice. Reasons:
- Skiing is great and ticks all the boxes for the skiers;
- The town of Briancon (stay there) is big enough and intersting enough for everyone. Who knows, you might have one day withour sun! The old town, Vauban, is a world heritage site and worth a visit for everyone.
- Good walks up the long Guisane valley and elsewhere eg Claree Valley. One side of the Guisane valley is south facing and so it often loses its snow where the other (skiing) side retains it.
- Apart from normal hill walks, there are Via Ferratas, ski de fond tracks...some of which are roads/tracks up to high cols eg the Izoard. These are open to walkers, generally don't need snow shoes and can be suitable for bad days.
- Other things of interest: the world famous hot baths in Monetier, high quality ice hockey team (French champions last year - must see). Home games every second Saturday. Sports Centre. Shopping. Rock climbing, ice climbing.

Only problem will be that a week won't be enough!
latest report
Quote:

Only problem will be that a week won't be enough!

+1
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy