Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

the 'hard ones' at work ... the people who keep us safe ...

Poster: A snowHead
Excellent film by Xavier, who works above us in Crans

http://youtube.com/v/Y5E-39NrdyM

Look at the stars in the sky as they leave the Plaine Morte top station in the early morning

The explosions rattle our windows 1800m below them....

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-09-14 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hardmen? They aren't all guys, you know.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

They aren't all guys, you know

Indeed. I went out with a piste patroller last winter, early one morning - and the leader of the team, with whom I had coffee and cake after the lifts were all open, was a woman. She did look quite hard, though. wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Apologies - poor use of language in title - it refers to this avalanche team (which happens to be all male) and making safe the specific peaks above us (this team on these peaks) - I'll change the title so it does not appear to generically refer to all teams in all places or edit so it doesn't seem discriminatory...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
valais2, Thanks for posting this....brilliant!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Loved the video. Thanks for posting
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
valais2, top video. Thanks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, cheers. Very interesting.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Great vid.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Right - title changed to be less gender specific....
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
valais2, 'the HARD ones' could still be gender specific im afraid Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for sharing! It's a really nice video Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
just wonderful. Am now crying.

Im sure the kids wont mind me cancelling Disney at Easter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Excellent indeed. Thanks for posting.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

Give them a choice... Disney and skiing or growing up with two kidneys each Laughing
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott wrote:

Loads of deals for Belle Plagne knocking around at the mo Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

the HARD ones' could still be gender specific im afraid

only for people with a particularly infantile SOH. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
snow report
pam w, me infantile... NEVER - you must be referring to your wonderful self pam Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Shimmy Alcott, actually we did both at Easter in 2012 - drive to an Ibis near euro Disney on Friday night immediately after school - up early - bit chilly but very sunny day there, no crowds although still needed to queue for nearly an hour for some things - must be gruesome at other more busy times of year - then went by car that evening to b&b hotel at besancon then skiing at crans Montana by lunchtime

Done

Eurodisney hideous - terrible food - kids had a great day - have never asked to go back - snow deep and thick had a wonderful week.
snow conditions
Seeing something of the work behind the scenes, as in this great video, makes one less resentful about the cost of a lift pass. The morning I did the "piste opening" with a patroller was part of a new activity put on by the resort - anybody could sign up to go out with them before the lifts opened. No great skill needed - all on (beautifully newly crafted) pistes. The guy didn't hang around but as the piste was entirely empty that wasn't a problem - and every now and then he stopped to re-plant a piste marker and give me a chance to catch up! They have also started a similar session with a liftie - seeing how they get the place cleared, if there is new snow, get all the machinery going etc etc. I'll do both next season.

As well as seeing how the job is done it was also interesting talking on the lifts - about where all the workers come from (nearly all local in this case), what other jobs they do, how they rescue people stuck off piste (I saw the special sledges they use), which part of which piste sees the most accidents, etc etc.
snow report
pam w, How and where? id love to do that
snow conditions
pam w, excellent - in Crans Montana we always do a 4pm to 10pm session with the pisteurs on the piste bashers - my 10 year got to drive 250,000 worth of basher....
snow report
PaulC1984, that was in Les Saisies. You can drive a piste basher too - but you have to pay for that, unless you have the right contacts, which valais2 obviously has, but I don't.
snow report
pam w, Thanks Pam. Id love to know if anyone does this in Tignes. Not fussed bout driving a basher as done that plenty of times before, however going out with 'The Hard Ones' early doors and seeing all the glory that the morning brings sounds fun.
ski holidays
PaulC1984, I saw a flier in val d'isere last season advertising that sort of thing. Don't know about tignes tho.
snow report
PaulC1984, I doubt whether they'd let passengers along on explosives trips - probably just the tame stuff!
ski holidays
pam w, Sorry, should have made myself clear - whilst I like a big bang and explosion in the morning, it would not be with semtex!! Just getting out early doors and doing the tame stuff would be interesting Smile
snow report
It is definitely the best job in the ski industry. Lots of challenges, every day is different, paid to ski etc. Of course if you get it wrong people can die so it is not for the faint of heart.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy