Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Christmas in Arabba / Sella Ronda - experiences anyone?

Poster: A snowHead
Calling all Arabba / Sella Ronda folk who've skied at Christmas (pre and NY)!

We've been to Arabba a couple of times before at Easter, it's fantastic, so we are thinking of booking for Christmas.

Can anyone share your experiences from that early in the season?

The hotel we have stayed in before (Alpenrose) is already full, which gives me some confidence that others see it as a reasonable bet. I know the region has good snowmaking, and the Marmolada is closeby, but how does the Sella Ronda circuit fair at that time of the year?

Oh yes, and we'd be eager to hear of any tips for regional festive stuff or markets to look out for?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, we've been visiting Selva in Dec, Christmas and NY for years. We only came close to green fields once. Historically, the area does well early season. Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The area has probably the best snowmaking system in Alps (or maybe in whole world) so i dont think you will have a problem.
Before we moved to Germany, we usually visit every December the area of Sud Tirol (it was more convenient from Greece via Ferry to Italia). I went there maybe 8-9 times , and always before 24 Dec.
We have never had a problem. Usually before Christmas some lifts are closed but those days you will be there have almost everything open.
Sometimes i skied in a white band and left and right from the piste was green, but the quality was ok or better than ok.
If you can compromise with piste skiing and are not looking for super powder etc then you will not have a problem at all...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
woodsy, we are booked to go to Arabba this Christmas. We got smitten with the Dolomites after visiting for the first time in Easter (Selva). So will be following this thread with interest Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks so much for your replies! I think that has sealed it!

We were thinking of 20th to 27th but could get a flight back on the 28th. Very tempted to extend that extra day...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
turms wrote:
The area has probably the best snowmaking system in Alps...

Dollies. wink

The only issue being, if temps hold above freezing, they can't run the canons as the manufactured snow would immediately melt. It costs a fortune in water and electricity to run the snowmaking gear, 30,000 Euro a day in water alone in just the Val Gardena valley. The Superski crew won't risk that kinda cash if air/ground temps won't play ball.
The artificial snowmaking in the area is very good, but not a 100% guarantee. Cool

As an aside, an instructor told me that the best piste snow is a mix of man made and natural, not all of either.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeap...right.
But if freezing level is for many days in Dec over e.g. 2.500 m, then probably nowhere except glaciers there will be snow.

And surely the best quality of snow is a base of artifial with nature snow above....
We always hope for a good winter....

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 28-09-14 13:50; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
woodsy wrote:

We were thinking of 20th to 27th but could get a flight back on the 28th. Very tempted to extend that extra day...

Prices will spike over Xmas and moreso over NY.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 28-09-14 14:18; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
turms wrote:
Yeap...right.
But if freezing level is for many days in Dec over e.g. 2.500 m, then probably nowhere except glaciers there will be snow.

And surely the best quality of snow is a base of artifial with nature snow above....
We always hope for a good winter....

Not necessarily, Selva village is at 1530m, Dantercepies and Ciampinoi around 2300m if local freeze levels hover around 1800 or above or fluctuate early season, a lot of the lower areas can potentially be in a poor state.

Yes, a base a natural 'ice' is very desirable, but not always achievable early season.

I've been studying weather/conditions early season in this area, often nervously, for years. wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
woodsy, I stayed in Arabba a few years back, over Christmas.

My trip report here - hope it helps.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cacciatore wrote:
woodsy, I stayed in Arabba a few years back, over Christmas.

My trip report here - hope it helps.

Your report is really useful Cacciatore! It's a little hard to imagine what to expect of early season conditions when you have been there much later, your report really helped! Thankyou
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mollerski wrote:
woodsy wrote:

Prices will spike over Xmas and moreso over NY.

I know Sad hence booking now, there are some deals for Christmas but you are right, prices climb on the 28th Dec!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dode wrote:
woodsy, we are booked to go to Arabba this Christmas. We got smitten with the Dolomites after visiting for the first time in Easter (Selva). So will be following this thread with interest Very Happy

Dode - hopefully we will book this week, then we can share the nervous excitement of snow forecasts.
PS We are also in Scotland!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Val Gardena, XMAS 2009. Tonnes of snow. Great weather and had fab time
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
This is a bit of video we posted of a 2010 trip, gives you a bit of an idea about business of pistes etc

http://youtube.com/v/rMVysL75DeU
snow conditions
Satyed in La Villa last year and just booked to go back again this year for XMas again

Caught the world cup race the day we arrived, ate like in heaven and had one of the biggest dumps of snow I can remember. It closed the entire region basically and we went sledging on the pistes.

Cloud was an issue at times so could really enjoy the views but otherwise was great. Much less busy at XMas than Easter/New year too.
latest report
woodsy, any joy on the booking front?
snow report
dode wrote:
woodsy, any joy on the booking front?

We've booked the hotel! 19th - 27th Dec, and *may stretch another day until 28th (although prices for that final day go up considerably). Now for the flights.....

I will be watching that Arabba webcam daily come Dec Smile
ski holidays
woodsy, ditto on the weather-watch, which hotel are you in? We are in the Evaldo. Cannae wait...
latest report
dode We are in the Cesa Padon, We've not stayed there before. Previously we were lucky enough to stay in the Alpenrose and in their apartments).
snow report
imull, Bartezki, Juddernaut and turms thanks for sharing your Xmas Sella Ronda reports. Fingers crossed for a solid start to the season Smile
ski holidays
Looking to saddle up right now for my fourth Dollies pilgrim. Tossing up where a outs on the Sella Ronda to stay. Previous trips have been in Corvara and Ortisei. Suggestions welcome
snow conditions
I'll be in Santa Cristina at Christmas!
snow conditions
The report that many of us have been waiting for! A round up of runs that are open and planned to open from 13th Dec in Dolomites....

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/documents/comunicati-impianti-aperti/201415/11-12-2014/comunicato-dolomiti-superski-apertura-impianti-e-piste-11.12.14-ore-16.00_1.pdf
latest report
The j2ski forecast shows 12cm on the mountain and 6cm at town level in next couple of days, with a further 4cm at all levels on Sunday (first ski day of our holiday). With the temps forecast to be in the minus all week hopefully the snow cannons can work their magic and the village may even be white for Christmas? Everything crossed in positive anticipation here...
snow report
From the webcams.... Looks like the precipitation that fell during the day yesterday fell as rain Crying or Very sad
But it must've turned to snow overnight as all roofs white this am... more precipitation forecast today, lets hope it is the white stuff.
snow conditions
http://m.dolomitisuperski.com/en/dolomiti-live/news/sellaronda-open-from-tomorrow--17th-december_mn1133096
Very Happy
snow conditions
We stayed in Pozza di fassa a few years ago over Christmas, good skiing all week and a decent amount of snow.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en/arabba/ski-area/weather-slopes/webcams

Best it has looked in a while Very Happy
ski holidays
I don't want to go up before acceptances, but I think this combined with copious work from the snow artillery might be enough to have something decent for Chrissie
ski holidays
Fingers crossed
snow report
Well, after two days, the best snow we have found has been at Belvedere and Rodella.
They have done a tremendous job with the snow making, lots of white ribbons surrounded by green on the runs into the valleys.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy