Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Eurostar to La Tania

Poster: A snowHead
In February seven of us are heading to La Tania on the overnight Eurostar to Moûtiers. Having never travelled this way, I have a couple of questions.

Are there any ski hire shops in Moûtiers, and if so am I right in guessing they'd be a lot cheaper than up in La Tania?

Is there somewhere in La Tania that we can leave our stuff during the day? We want to ski before we check in to the apartment!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can't answer your questions directly, but if you hire in Moutiers you won't be able to go and swap / adjust your equipment easily if you have any problems. I'd advise only hiring from somewhere you have easy access to throughout the holiday.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
iMacThere4iAm, welcome to SH

I'd also be concerned about swapping, but on other hand if you went to Intersport etc sure the local store would help you out

Someone with more local knowledge will be along soon I'm sure
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hi,
There's a locker room with toilets and showers in one of the buildings just below the main gondola. The door to get in is on the main road just along from the bus stop. We used it last year and it was very good but you have to get the man from the tourist info place to open it up for you. Can't remember what it costs..not too bad though or I'd have remembered!
Have fun

Shipjack
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I used skiset in tignes last year for family ski hire. The skiset in val D'Isere would not help when my daughter broke a ski pole.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
iMacThere4iAm, there are quite a few hire places in la Tania. Book online before you go and you should get a decent deal.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I wouldn't book ahead through Skiset - they don't own most of the shops that carry their name and just act as a middle man for remote booking. Unfortunately, some of their policies are not entirely scrupulous so when something goes wrong with the deal, the shop will tend to direct you to Skiset to sort it out and Skiset generally aren't interested as you are in the mountains with your problem and they are in Paris with your money.

If the shop that you want to hire from is a Skiset shop, just call them direct and offer the price that Skiset advertised. Usually they are pleased to give you the same discount and not to have to pay Skiset their cut. Plus, it removes any issues regarding who your deal is with if there are any complications.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
iMacThere4iAm, the overnight Eurostar ski train arrives Moutier 05:46.
http://www.eurostar.com/uk-en/eurostar-deals/eurostar-train-deals/ski-train/ski-train-to-the-french-alps/timetables#.VCZytvldVqU
I doubt you will find any ski hire shops open then.
To maximise your first day in La Tania: get yourself off to the resort pronto.
With seven of you, you could organise a private taxi to take you up there.
Not sure when the regular buses start.

Most apartment blocks have somewhere you can leave your luggage while you go off skiing.
Sensible to check first before you go - email or phone.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for your advices, friendly snowheads. I called the apartment people and they do have a place for luggage. We'll get up to La Tania early and rent our skis as soon as the shops open Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
iMacThere4iAm, it seems you have to book your own taxi - there is no scheduled bus to meet the overnight Eurostar at Moutier.
The first scheduled bus is 0800!
http://www.altibus.com/documents/gares/14/navettes.pdf
Meanwhile Meribel has started to improve the transfer tor the Daytime Eurostar service.

I think it a tough deal that Eurostar blags about its wonderful service, but fails to mention the problem of transfer to resort.
Really, only Bourg to Les Arcs via the Funicular works well the direct Eurostar trains.

If you prefer train travel to plain travel iMacThere4iAm, next time you might take a look at the other ways of going by train.
http://www.snowcarbon.co.uk/your-stories
http://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm#.VCe3UPldVqU
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Jonpim, I don't mind booking a private taxi since for seven it's no more expensive than seven tickets on the altibus. If we were a smaller group then yeah, I might be miffed. However that information is out there if one cares to do the due diligence before booking (unlike me wink ).

Edit: That is the summer timetable, and I haven't been able to find a 2014 winter timetable but I understand that the winter service is much better. Will report back if/when I find out what time it starts running in the morning.

Edit 2: Next year I might try the Eurostar+Corail route to get a proper "bed" instead of a seat. And go to Les Arcs - we didn't go there this year only because one of the group doesn't like it for some reason.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
iMacThere4iAm wrote:
Thanks for your advices, friendly snowheads. I called the apartment people and they do have a place for luggage. We'll get up to La Tania early and rent our skis as soon as the shops open Smile

You might not want to run up the mountain quite 1st thing, if you're arrivng at 05:47 - I can't imagine they'll be much open in La tania for brekkie etc until say 8am, so more chance of feeding in Moutiers (I would guess)
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I would say there is a shuttle bus timed to connect up with the eurostar, they have services in Moutiers, Aime and Bourg St Maurice going to most of the major ski resorts in the area.

The one for La Tania leaves Moutiers at 6:15 am arriving in La Tania at 6:55 am and is run by altibus.

Have a look at this timetable showing times for the Eurostar shuttle bus http://www.altibus.com/uploads/Eurostar_Shuttle_20132014.pdf

I'd assume it is last years timetable but I suspect this years will be very similar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi no ski hire shops in moutiers as far as I can remember. I notice the anti skiset link is still active!!!!

Andy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually there is Twinner sports shop that has sales and rentals opposite the entrance to Carrefour supermarket in Moutiers. It's open at 0900 on Saturdays. If you want to look at prices see twinner-moutiers.fr for their rental packages. I've arrived on that early train and can't remember seeing anything open that early. We just jump straight in pre booked cab and head up to resort. Don't think there will be anything open in LT either until a bit later but check latania.co.uk which has lots of info.

La Tania Ski Lodge owner tim wall is on Ramseys Costa Del Nightmares on Tuesday evening at 2000 on channel 4 which could be entertaining. Sunday Times tv magazine gives it critics choice.
snow report
andy1234, can't believe that Tim is on telly this week. My girls said we should get some of those paper masks you can get of Gordon Ramsey and see what he says when we are there this season. Will we get barred?
snow report
That's funny chrisb, will you get barred? GOK I guess. The trailer for Tuesday said tim has run successful restos in ski resorts but his new venture is threatening to pull everything down. He kicks off, so that should give Gordon a run for his money. Lol
snow report
Thank you skichampcouk for correcting me.

Arriving at La Tania 06:55 may not be so bad - some places might open up at 0700
Anyone know?

Interesting that there seems to be a bus connecting with the overnight train, but not the Day Train, assuming Snowcarbon is correct.
snow conditions
In my experience 8am is much more likely to get you breakfast than 7am in La Tania, depending on what you want. The bakery is probably open a bit earlier, and the cafe next door was happy for us to buy croissants etc at the bakery to have with our coffee, but as we were on the corail sleeper we weren't arriving until after 8am in La Tania. To be honest, I wouldn't worry too much about that hour - you'll want to take it easy after a night on the train and there will be plenty of time for dropping off bags, breakfast, hiring skis, and so on. You could try asking the Telemark Hotel if they will be serving breakfast.
ski holidays
Jonpim, I thought it was just the bus routes to Valmorel and Prolognan that didn't have a connection to the incoming daytime eurostar. I know the buses to Pralognan (and Champagny) finish early on a Saturday but there is a late one on a Friday night for some reason, maybe they just cater to the French travellers and have never had the demand for people on the train travelling to those resorts.
I would assume that the buses for all the other resorts leave half an hour after the eurostar arrives, the bus timetables for next Winter usually come out around October / November time so we should be able to tell then.
ski holidays
This season's standard Altibus timetable is out (although it is not yet possible to book online) and for Moutiers to La Tania you need to look at page 6 of 7 on the timetable.
http://altibus.com/documents/gares/14/navettes.pdf
They don't appear to have updated the special eurostar timetable with this season's times yet. Here's the link for when they do www.altibus.com/navettes-speciales-eurostar-rp87.aspx
snow conditions
skichampcouk thanks, looks like the Eurostar Altibus timetable is up now. We'll probably get a minibus though as it looks cheaper for 7 in a group.

One of our party wants lessons at La Tania, he is a beginner with a mean snowplough looking to progress with parallel turns. I'm considering some lessons myself as a confident intermediate with undoubtedly poor technique. Can anyone recommend a particular ski school at La Tania?
latest report
www.latania.co.uk - very good website - should provide answers to all your questions.
I can highly recommend Thea from BASS in Courcheval - her meeting point is very easy to get to from laTania
snow conditions
Thanks everyone who helped us get to the 3V! It was a fantastic week and I can't wait to get back Very Happy

There had been a big dump the day we arrived but it was too foggy to appreciate at first. Later in the week the sun came out and it stayed beautiful after that. Loads of snow everywhere

The Pierre & Vacances apartment (Le Christiana) booked through PowderBeds was well equipped and not too cramped even though there were seven of us. When we arrived they hadn't provided enough sheets but found more when we asked. They have toasters, raclette grills, fondue pots etc to borrow in the reception. Would have been nice to have a couple more radiators to help dry out stinky boots, etc.
SkiHame provided minibus transfers for cheaper than the Altibus, and the driver even took us to one of their chalets for coffee as we arrived at the resort before anything was open Smile

I thoroughly recommend the night skiing in Courchevel 1850 on Wednesdays, and the toboggan run (free, open most nights) was hilarious if painful the next morning. Leave it till the end of the holiday, because it'll make you a lot stiffer than skiing snowHead The toboggan run in Val Thorens is much longer but too expensive IMHO.
My favourite parts of the 3 Vallees are Mont Vallon above Meribel,

We were a mixed group of skiers and snowboarders but mostly split up because we skiers got fed up of waiting for the boarders to strap in/fiddle with bindings/avoid drag lifts.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy