Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Suaze D'Oloux

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads, not long now!

I've narrowed down the resort debate for this years lads ski trip to either Saalbach or Sauze d'Oloux. Can I get your thoughts on which would best suit our group. We're likely to be a group of 4-6 late twenty/early thirty something's, and a mixture of skier's and boarders, but all competent on most slopes except excessively moguled Blacks (and one crazy off-piste free spirited boarder/surfer).

So the boxes we like ticked are:

- Lively early après, i.e. 4pm-7pm;
- Good value food and drink;
- Extensive Red pistes and not too steep blacks;
- Cheap transfers;
- Skiable home runs;
- Good snow record for mid January.

Keen to here of any experiences in either of these resorts. Did Zell last year and whilst the resort is great we were a little underwhelmed by the apres, especially the early stuff.

Many thanks! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
debtors#2, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104841&highlight= should tell you all you need to know about Saalbach. I'd say Saalbach ticks all of the boxes - can't comment on Sauze d'Oloux as I've never been.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
debtors#2, Saalbach, no contest!

Sauze is known as "Lousey Sauze" or "Saucy Ducks" for quite obvious reasons! Been to both, had very good snow in Lousey but still would not return. Saalbach however is visited every year these days! And I'm not a big Après party goer! Toofy Grin snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
debtors#2,

Saalbach is on my to do list, and one of the reasons is it's famed lift system.

Sauze is not as bad as some remember it, including myself, having been many years ago before re-visiting in March 2013.

Both the apres and the night life are a hoot, and it's cheap, but there isn't the 'lager lout' feeling the place had 20 yrs ago - it's tidied itself up a bit.

There is a pretty reasonable amount of skiing to done there because of its connections to other villages, but.................................
some of the lifts date back to the Cretaceous period and getting around between said villages can involve some fairly lengthy drag lifts.

Then as a final b@ll ache, because coaches are banned, departing requires you to walk from your accommodation down through the village to the coach park carrying bags,skis/board,boots etc.

So whilst you would no doubt have a good time, there are downsides.

Hope this helps Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can't speak for Saalbach, but have been to Sauze twice, both around the same time you're looking at. Had a cracking time both times. Some lifts are slow, but the skiing is varied when you take Sestriere and Cesana into account, and all pistes were groomed every night both weeks. Après was good and cheapish, with one bar on our walk to the hotel being €2.50 a pint from 4-7, so dinner was always a little bit fuzzy. All in all, fond memories of the place.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
quinton wrote:
debtors#2, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=104841&highlight= should tell you all you need to know about Saalbach. I'd say Saalbach ticks all of the boxes - can't comment on Sauze d'Oloux as I've never been.

This Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
A trip report from Saalbach here....not that there is too much about the skiing.... Laughing Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
been to both and saalbach gets my vote, especially if u can get in the hotel that does free wine with dinner and free beer in the bar til midnight.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can't comment on Sauze, but I LOVED Saalbach. It has everything - and fast lifts to boot.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
debtors#2,

Saalbach-you will not be underwhelmed. In any way, shape, or form.

Geoff
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
debtors#2,

We stayed in a catered chalet, about 5 mins walk from town centre and lifts,
run by ski miquel (chalet christina). Hired skis from shop at bottom of schattberg xpress lift
and stored all gear in their ski storage
Saalbach takes some beating

Geoff
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks guys for all the responses, general consensus seems to be for Saalbach, very excited at the prospect. Whilst a democratic vote will dictate our ultimate resort of choice I'll be vouching and pleading for Saalbach. I will update everyone when booking Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Been to both several times.
No contest, Saalbach wins in every respect.

One of the worst things about Sauze was the steep uphill walk to the lifts every morning. Especially after requested apres.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

One of the worst things about Sauze was the steep uphill walk to the lifts every morning. Especially after requested apres.

That's what the skibus is for wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
was in Sauze in march this year having been to zell am see in the January. Booked to return for a second march trip next year. I love Sauze, can't believe people moan about a 200 metre walk uphill to lift which is only a problem if you are in a hotel at the bottom of town. The après in March was awesome, sportinia was massive outdoor party everyday 1500-1830 then ski back down to town where any number of bars had more on offer. Massive area and perfectly groomed slopes, we took day trip to montgenevre as well which was great. the only downside of it is the chairs are a little slow in comparison to some of the newer models.

never been to saalbach but my other half has been three times racing there and she raves about it. only reason we have not been is we like to do two trips a year and saalbach is a bit pricey. wherever you go as long as there is snow you will have a ball.

agree with your zell opinion, après was poor and it is more alive after dinner than after skiing. Ellmau in feb for us then sauze in march can't wait
snow report
I have been to both and would pick Sauze. The lifts and facilities are excellent in Saalbach but I agree with mikeelsa on everything about Sauze.
ski holidays
+1 for Sauze. Having been to both found that the skiing was more varied and preferred the village esp the old town. Apres is Saalbach was great but skied nearly every piste twice in the six days that we were there.
latest report
Saalbach is the best ski area I've been to and it wasn't close. I had really good conditions though when there. The lifts are all great though there some of the gondolas didn't have seats to rest my tired legs on!
ski holidays
Been to both and loved both 😁 given a 50/50 choice I would choose Saalbach .Why ? Think apre ski better and access to lift from town far easier
snow conditions
I think it depends if you are comparing like with like -have you compared the prices?
Packages might not vary much but DIY our apartment in sauze was £1000 cheaper than the equivalent in saalbach and flights to Turin were half the price of flights to Salzberg. I can put up with some slow lifts for that!- we are talking half term week though.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy