Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski resort jobs in France?

Poster: A snowHead
Seems like bad luck, but from personal experience I can tell you that the quality people applying is pretty high.
Of course I think he should try again, however non conventional routes and not presenting his DOB as the first line item would be something I would look at first.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
nixmap wrote:
Seems like bad luck, but from personal experience I can tell you that the quality people applying is pretty high.
Of course I think he should try again, however non conventional routes and not presenting his DOB as the first line item would be something I would look at first.

Thanks for the tip Nixmap we haven't lost hope, I am a great believer in try, try & try again, just got to get jack to keep going & sooner or later he will get a job offer Skullie
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm slightly surprised by talk of companies not considering 18 year olds or companies having a minimum age of 21 -- I think UK employers would be better served with objective criteria than pure age-based cut offs in the long run.

I think 18 year olds with the necessary skills and experience do exist: last season I stayed in a chalet operated by a smaller operator and both the chalet staff were 18/19 and they made an excellent team both as hosts and cooks.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
michaelbury17, Son #1 was 18 when he did his season. He was in a similar position, not having much luck but then got offered two sous chef jobs in the first week of November and was out in Austria a month later. He was a pretty good cook though.
Is your son able to do a cookery course? It's not too late. It will be easier to get a job, even KP, if he has some cookery skills.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
mtsuit wrote:
I'm slightly surprised by talk of companies not considering 18 year olds or companies having a minimum age of 21 -- I think UK employers would be better served with objective criteria than pure age-based cut offs in the long run.

I think 18 year olds with the necessary skills and experience do exist: last season I stayed in a chalet operated by a smaller operator and both the chalet staff were 18/19 and they made an excellent team both as hosts and cooks.

Thats what seems to be the opinion of some posts, as I said previously no-one at the two previous ski shows have intimated that at aged 18 you would struggle to secure a position, yet I appreciate times change.

Likewise if my memory serves me correctly when we last went with Crystal most staff were aged on the youngish side (Maybe thats an age thing on my perspective) guess around the 20 year mark as an average yet they served us extremely well, even in the mornings when they were clearly suffering, we just felt it was amusing, the important factor being: they got up, did breakfast, cleaned up then most likely hit the sack again...the joys of youth NehNeh
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cad99uk wrote:
michaelbury17, Son #1 was 18 when he did his season. He was in a similar position, not having much luck but then got offered two sous chef jobs in the first week of November and was out in Austria a month later. He was a pretty good cook though.
Is your son able to do a cookery course? It's not too late. It will be easier to get a job, even KP, if he has some cookery skills.

Inspiring to hear your story, yet I am amazed at the competition, is this all the grads deciding to get on the hill due to the fact there are no jobs?

We are encouraging our son to be pro-active (guess this will be good practise later on!) to keep in touch with prospective employers, be social & often, all he needs to do is be there when someone has an issue, a slot to fill & commit to be there!

As for the cookery course yes thats an option, will put your idea to him, ultimately thats his call.

BTW during May & June he started cooking cakes in anticipation, just simple sponges, hey but that's a start
rolling eyes

Thanks yet again for your positive input, we really appreciate it NehNeh
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was 18 doing my first season, did find it hard to get jobs then, but got one eventually. This winter I'll be 23 at the start of the season, and I received lots of offers of interviews from my applications (although some took a while to come through, by which point I'd already picked the job I was going to accept!). So, I'd just add again to what others have said - keep trying! Hopefully something will come along. While a few companies have been recruiting for a couple of months now, lots of jobs are still being advertised, and when I was doing research for this years' applications I did find several companies who didn't start recruiting until September/October.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
michaelbury17, Some more encouragement. Son #2 was also 18 when he did his season as a kitchen porter / night porter. He ended up volunteering to do as many nights as possible so that he could get those first lifts.

He got his job in the May so was sorted early. However on his season three people went home by January. Two to pursue a motor sport opportunity and one injured (drink related!). So there is always the opportunity if your son can get on some standby lists.

Also don't forget to think about the summer. My sons came home in the April and then immediately went back out to France to work as sailing instructors. They rate their winter and summer seasons as equally enjoyable (they had a total blast). Plenty of opportunity for work as a campsite courier during the summer.

Best of luck.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ArcticFox1 wrote:
I was 18 doing my first season, did find it hard to get jobs then, but got one eventually. This winter I'll be 23 at the start of the season, and I received lots of offers of interviews from my applications (although some took a while to come through, by which point I'd already picked the job I was going to accept!). So, I'd just add again to what others have said - keep trying! Hopefully something will come along. While a few companies have been recruiting for a couple of months now, lots of jobs are still being advertised, and when I was doing research for this years' applications I did find several companies who didn't start recruiting until September/October.

Hi ArticFox1, thanks for your comments & what you say is what I would expect ie: companies waiting to see if previous employees wanted to take up job offers for this season, makes perfect business sense.

Do I assume that this will be your 5th season then? You must have loads of contacts, tips & hints would be cool if Jack could PM you, if you can point him in the right direction to those who are still looking/advertising that also would be fantastic.

Thanks again, great support from an awesome forum, this is what technology is all about

Michael Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
cad99uk wrote:
michaelbury17, Some more encouragement. Son #2 was also 18 when he did his season as a kitchen porter / night porter. He ended up volunteering to do as many nights as possible so that he could get those first lifts.

He got his job in the May so was sorted early. However on his season three people went home by January. Two to pursue a motor sport opportunity and one injured (drink related!). So there is always the opportunity if your son can get on some standby lists.

Also don't forget to think about the summer. My sons came home in the April and then immediately went back out to France to work as sailing instructors. They rate their winter and summer seasons as equally enjoyable (they had a total blast). Plenty of opportunity for work as a campsite courier during the summer.

Best of luck.

Hi cad99uk, great to hear that your son is/had a great opportunity & subsequently followed it up to work the summer season as a sailing instructor, this is work!!

Funnily enough Jack has, still is working at our local family bike shop since the age of 14 & he was offered a job as a bike mechanic this summer, he had to turn it down as his commitments were already in place Sad

I am still encouraging him to keep applying, to keep his name/picture in the frame (hence all these [posts] & we are hopeful like you state that at the worst to get on a short list for when people for whatever reason have to go home.

Great response thanks.

Regards

Michael
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
michaelbury17 wrote:

Do I assume that this will be your 5th season then? You must have loads of contacts, tips & hints would be cool if Jack could PM you, if you can point him in the right direction to those who are still looking/advertising that also would be fantastic.

I'm afraid not! I went to university in the middle, so this will be my second season - I wish it was the 5th!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ArcticFox1 wrote:
michaelbury17 wrote:

I'm afraid not! I went to university in the middle, so this will be my second season - I wish it was the 5th!

Opportunity usually only comes once & what I am telling Jack is to grasp it with both hands & run

Laughing

If you feel like minded we would be interested in the offers you received [so we can send/re-send Jacks CV] yet haven't taken their offer up, I guess the best way would be to PM me.

Guess you are pretty excited to be getting back in the Alps, awesome season coming up with the chance to build some great friendships & meet loads of interesting people Very Happy

Thanks for your comments ArticFox1
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@michaelbury17, Not sure if your son has found a job, but if he has some savings/can find another job once out there then this really is the jammiest gig going. https://www.facebook.com/SkiJobsFrance most recent post, part time cleaning in Tignes, only 200euro a month however it's 2 days work a week and includes accom and a full Espace Killy pass! Good luck anyway. Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

it's best to kiss a** & tell them what you think/know they expect to hear ie: blow smoke up their proverbial, once you have a job offer thats the main point.

Hmm. Not what I'd have wanted when I spent a lot of time interviewing graduates. The interview is a chance for candidates to show what they can do and whilst you do expect courtesy and respect any sign of sycophancy would be a real turn off (would go down as poor interpersonal skills/lack of judgement!). I have stayed in quite a few catered chalets, some cheap, some less cheap. I have been very impressed with the capabilities of the chalet hosts I've had; it's not an easy job (even with guests as charming as I wink ).

A kitchen porter might well need to be adaptable and resourceful. For example when the electricity crashes out 2 hours before a big dinner. Or the chalet cellar, where your supplies are, is flooded by a drains problem and pongs to high heaven. (both real-life examples which happened to my son when he was cooking in a very upmarket chalet - it would be even harder in a really cheap chalet, with no leeway in your budget). A well thought out "role play" could tell you quite a lot about how people would contribute in such a situation.

I would never be disdainful towards the season workers who do these jobs - it's not easy to get a job, and keep it, do it well AND have a lot of fun but most of them seem to manage it. It's a great experience.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Quote:

it's best to kiss a** & tell them what you think/know they expect to hear ie: blow smoke up their proverbial, once you have a job offer thats the main point.

Hmm. Not what I'd have wanted when I spent a lot of time interviewing graduates. The interview is a chance for candidates to show what they can do and whilst you do expect courtesy and respect any sign of sycophancy would be a real turn off (would go down as poor interpersonal skills/lack of judgement!).

Sadly it's exactly what a lot of the big ski holiday companies expect from applicants. When I was doing the graduate milk-round for accountancy etc, the questions were always about me. When I was doing season interviews the questions were most often about the company and the job. Interviews in large ski firms are performed by recent grads ticking boxes on clipboards so the more often you can get in a mention of the "ABCSki Quality Snow Kids Muffin-tastic Eskimo Gold Guarantee" the more chance you'll have of getting a job.

Basically there are three things to do: 1) read the brochure 2) wear a suit 3) smile.

Alternatively, if you have a friend in resort, just go out after New Year to stay with them for a few days and walk around town with CVs. So many people will have quit or been fired by this point that you'll get hired on the spot after a chat with the local manager, conveniently avoiding all the expensive interview rubbish in London.
snow report
Quote:

ABCSki Quality Snow Kids Muffin-tastic Eskimo Gold Guarantee

Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy