Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@skinutter, Now retired but 2500 hours sat in the rear seat of a Tornado, Hawk and other sundry jets.

@GeorgeVII, Soz - but I think I explained where sympathy lies in the RAF dictionary - can't Lady G put up with cold showers for a bit ..........'Taking Cover!'

Meanwhile we have had some flocons since 6pm......

Night all (and I won't be going back to the idiot French freerider thread as I might ruffle a few feathers!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quite a few more flocons had fallen during the night - mostly after the pistes had hardened. A great run down Palafour first thing in about 5-8cm of fresh. This soon got pushed into heaps revealing the hard snow underneath - until it softened later in the day. We have basically had showers of snow all day - there were some gaps to let light in this morning (but mostly whilst I was on a lift Evil or Very Mad ) they have now vanished and in the last couple of hours we have had some brief heavy showers. I'm sure there was some fun off piste but with the changing light and cloud reducing vis I decided I was better off between the poles. For once the pistes were very quiet for a Saturday Very Happy The breeze also picked up late morning.

The snow showers will continue through the night - initially there may be some more heavy ones as some of the airports are reporting 'Towering Cumulus' - the great big white fluffy clouds that extend a long way into the sky - looking a bit like an angry cauliflower (well something like that). As these clouds often have a lot of vertical movement within them they can lead to big fluffy snowflakes - which would be nice.

The showers will continue through tomorrow morning and early afternoon - but there should be sunny periods in between and it might get breezy 'en haut' - the skies will clear tomorrow night and the big orange thing will then predominate for most of the week - spring is on its way Very Happy It will still be cold at night so expect the usual freeze thaw - and hard pistes early doors, and soggy pistes lower down in late afternoon.

Flying tomorrow should mostly be free of weather issues - there will be a chance of early mist in Manchester and Scotland - but not enough to cause hassle if it remains as forecast. Over here will be fine if a little bumpy due to the wind. This will be the case particularly into Geneva where they are forecasting gusts up to 40 miles an hour occasionally 50. It is straight down the runway - so it should be mostly OK - perhaps the odd hold whilst a shower goes through. But hang on to your hat as you walk to the terminal/car park!

Lots of Easter egg hunts in resort tomorrow - joyeuses pâques Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We've just arrived in resort. What a pleasure to see snow!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe the last day of winter........

We were in thick cloud this morning, although 10cm or so of fresh snow had fallen overnight - I decided to go skinning as I could see sweet you know what. So off I set up petit col to the Alpage Resaturant - about an hours skin. The cloud (hill fog) was some of the thickest I have seen for many years (and I have flown in some pretty dense cloud). I was skinning from pole to pole watching bemused down hill skiers falling off the sides of pistes, wondering where they were etc. As I summited (3 cheers for me!) there was a vague break in the cloud and I got to ski down in reasonable light - which was a nice reward. There is a bit more vis lower down now - but still no sign of the sun.

After a quick shower I decided I had used enough calories to justify one of Rocco's pastas in the Jam Bar. Just as I was finishing in walked Mr and Mrs t40ora at the end of their lesson which was good for putting faces to usernames. A beer or two for tonight has been arranged.....

Hopefully it was not too bumpy into Geneva today - but it could have been worse - I see they have started up the Large Hadron Collider thingy at double the dose of last time. As aircraft are still landing I guess Geneva has not turned into a black hole. Until I saw a map on the beeb website I had no idea the 'tunnel' runs to within about 500m of the main runway. If only they could harness the power to slingshot planes back to the UK in half an hour........

Interestingly - our neighbours in Val have decided to have 2 separate resort websites next year - one English and one French - but not just a translation (like now) but one 'suited to Anglo-Saxon culture. I cant wait to see how that transpires - and what the differences may be - answers on a post card please.

And now the weather - easy - the sky will clear overnight and it will be sunny all week (maybe the odd fluffy cloud around). The temperatures will rise through the week from coo-lish tomorrow to shorts and bikini by Friday. Bon Ski Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, really sorry about the lack of those beers!

We got stuck in La Daille just after 4.30, after a somewhat "interesting" afternoon, so decided to take the bus back - which didn't arrive until 5.30 and took an age to get to Le Lac.

Tell me another suitable night and venue for those beers!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beautiful, crisp, sunny alpine morning Very Happy Very Happy

Lots & lots of fresh snow to explore & hopefully pretty quiet rolling eyes
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Marvellous Cool Cool

But first an apology - I was wrong with the forecast - not the weather but the Marmottes - fist confirmed sighting this morning to the left of the Palafour Chair as I rode up at 9.15. Been watching them through the binos this afternoon frolicking around.

As Stewart said there was not a cloud in the sky this morning and it was chilly - but this had worked wonders on the snow so we had a morning of skiing quite light dry snow - clearly with the strength of the sun this transformed quickly on south facing slopes - but what a day. After a couple of warm up laps on Palafour we had our first excursion down Lognan to the bus stop - great snow. There were a few Easter queues in Val Claret - but not on Col de Ves where again we found some knee deep snow (and some people well out of their depth in both skiing daft places and ability). Another lap of the chair and we set sail for Grand Balme - where the snow was deep and soft and dry (which is good cos it is very steep!).

After a quick coffee it was time to head high, the queues had vanished. Sadly I must report that the Cable car is very sick (again) the storms must have taken their toll and the motor wires have somehow come off the runners and are hanging very low to the ground - still covered with thick ice. Leisse was also closed _ I suspect as a precaution to stop ice dropping on people's heads as they negotiate the track under the cable car wires. They are also putting the chairs back on the small Panoramic Chair for the summer.

Anyway as we set off down Genepy there was some great snow if a little heavier off piste. For the final run of the day it was the hidden gulley which was much more like spring snow as it had been in the sun since first light. I suspect that we will have to find north facing slopes tomorrow to find snow as good. There are now quite a few clouds about.

Tomorrow will be the same as today weather wise, with the sun remaining the predominant feature all week. It might be quite breezy at height tomorrow and then the temperatures really start to ramp up - still looking tropical by the end of the week Very Happy
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, had a great day today too. Any hints on some good North facing slopes to head for tomorrow?

We did the run down from the top of Vallons a couple of times today and it was just splendid.

Still need to buy you that beer!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@t40ora, Out to dinner tonight - so maybe tomorrow at the Embuscade - 6ish.

All the runs from the Grand Motte will be good - but busy so aim to leave Val Claret at high noon!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
OK Cheers. I'll aim to be there for that pint tomorrow!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
WOW!! what a great day Very Happy

First thing this morning it was a beautiful crisp alpine morning and throughout the day the only thing that changed was the temperature, which rose slightly. The snow first thing was real winter snow with about 5-10cm of new powder and because we skied on Double M/the glacier in the afternoon it never really changed.

Our morning runs consisted of powder & jumps before we headed down Piste Perdue Very Happy We were probably better than the dude on U tube & even a little more scary!
The afternoon was spent on lapping around Lanches & Vanoise chairs and trips through the half pipe. If you haven't been in the half pipe get in there and scare yourself wink

Here's a few pictures https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152756958131198&set=a.10152756957881198.1073741857.618461197&type=1&theater
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another glorious day Cool - still quite cool luckily. As foreseen, soft snow was harder to find after consolidation due to the strong sun yesterday. So for a starter for 10 we did the side entrance to the Chardonnet bowl - mixed but fine in the shadows. It was then back to the Col de Ves - again there is a shaded gulley down from Pramecou - a couple of turns were in really soft stuff. Another lap of the Ves chair and it was time for a steeper corridor down the North Face of Grand balme - time to take positioning seriously even with the low avalanche risk today. Great snow - but just about as steep as I would choose Shocked wink . After a lunchtime coffee a quick turn of the grand Motte saw some spring snow off Cairn and then a final run down Bus Stop to the Tourneval Chalet, varied at the top but great spring snow down the last pitch.

The weather - as yesterday high pressure is in charge until the weekend - so sunny skies on Wed and Thu - with maybe a few more clouds on Friday. The weekend mornings will be nice but there is a chance of showers in the afternoon triggered by the warm days and more humid air. However, tomorrow will be significantly warmer (and it remains so until the weekend at least) so the avalanche risk will be 2 tomorrow rising to 3 at lunchtime as the sun and the heat rehumidify the snow (making it heavy) and any bare rocks heat up the surrounding snow to act as a trigger. Tomorrow is a day to remember the old adage - don't go off piste after lunch in April - also remember to look above you as these sort of avalanches can travel a long way once they are moving. Stay safe!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A spring day on piste frolicking with the Marmottes. First off was a trip to Brev where there is still full snow cover and no signs of brown slush that are characteristic of this tie of year. The snow had just softened enough to make it a pleasure. After that it was laid back spring skiing around the resort until a late lunch. Nice bumps underneath Vanoise though. The Cable Car is closed for an 'indeterminate period' for refurbishment.

The weather forecast remains the same as yesterday - easy at this time of year innit?

The big news is the rock fall near Moutiers which has blocked the road and demolished a disused building 4 doors down from Scandi Cocktail (furniture). Currently there is a diversion through the roadworks at the other side of the river, they are not sure of the state of the roads for Saturday and they have to do a lot of work n the railway before it can be used again. If you are travelling by rail at the weekend it may well be worth doing a lot of enquiring as to where your train/bus replacement service will be running from to avoid massive disappointment. It was taking 75 mins on the diversion today. Her's hoping the road is open as it was taking 75mins through the diversion today Shocked
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Saturdays Eurostars will leave from Moutiers:
French Alps Ski Train 9095 and 9099 on 11 April 2015 (Updated 08 April at 19.00)

Unfortunately, we have been made aware that due to a rock fall/land slip between Bourg St Maurice and Moûtiers, the return journey from the French Alps on 11 April will need to operate as follows:
Train 9095 will not be departing from Bourg St Maurice, but from Moûtiers.
There will be buses departing from Bourg St Maurice, however the journey time from Bourg St Maurice to Moutiers is estimated at 2 hours so customers will need to be at Bourg St Maurice station by 07.30, or make your own way to Moûtiers where the train will depart at 10.11 local time.
Security and immigration checks will take place in Lille Europe and will mean that the arrival in the UK will be up to 2 hours later than scheduled.
Train 9099 will not be departing from Bourg St Maurice, but from Moûtiers.
There will be buses departing from Bourg St Maurice, however the journey time from Bourg St Maurice to Moutiers is estimated at 2 hours so customers will need to be at Bourg St Maurice station by 19.30, or make your own way to Moûtiers where the train will depart at 22.58 local time.
This may also mean that your arrival in the UK will be up to an hour later than scheduled.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A glorious day of spring skiing - its amazing how you learn to read the aspects of the slopes as you go from icy hardpack, to dreamy spring snow to soft snow all in a pitch of 100metres. Spring really arrived today - it was well above freezing at breakfast time and by lunchtime the bikinis were out in force (as were the pink faces Embarassed ). We had a charge round the resort - first Col De Ves, followed by the GM - much work going on on the cable car involving very long wires and men in serious climbing kit. After a run down Genepy it was Familial - a real mixed bag and lunch at Rosée Blanche where the temps were really high. By then it was all getting a bit soft and quite a few spring avalanches - so back for a snooze.

Tomorrow will be a bit warmer and we may see a few fluffy clouds in the afternoon, Saturday will be a bit cooler, Sunday it will warm up again with clouds particularly in the afternoon, Monday and Tuesday may see the odd shower in the afternoon and then the sun returns and the temps ramp up again!

Rockmageddon 2 in Moutiers continues, the road was open both ways but went to alternate traffic again this afternoon causing long delays, Eurostar have changed the bus times to 1 hour but watch out they may up that if the single lane stuff continues.....
ski holidays
Quote:

The Cable Car is closed for an 'indeterminate period' for refurbishment.

They closed the cable car for 'refurbishment' during the Easter week? Seems a bit of a strange time to choose.
It'll be a shame if it is not open next week.
snow conditions
More likely bust, see an earlier post by chocksaway on the subject.

I know a long-term EK resident, not of a nervous disposition, who won't go on the cable car.
ski holidays
@swiftoid,

The wind last week was over 250 km/ph which blew the cables off! They are currently repairing it.
latest report
A day in Bourg for the last shop of the season! 21 degs down there, a kids fancy dress parade, the Isere like a torrent in places with all the meltwater - its definitely spring! There was a thin layer of cloud up here today reducing the strength of the sun. Did see the cable car running this morning so the repairs must be coming along nicely - not open to the great unwashed quite yet though.

The weather forecast is easy - sun, sun, sun - bit cooler tomorrow but the temperature then ramps up through the week - so definitely spring skiing. For the 22000 vehicles coming and going each way tomorrow the road up from Moutiers should be open both ways all day. There has been delays today as they sorted out the slope. There will be some short delays next week when they come back to work (no more than 15mins.) No word at all on when the railway is likely to reopen so its buses from Bourg to Moutiers until its fixed. For those in the air tomorrow - chance of a shower anywhere in the UK and if you catch one on approach it could be a bit bumpy. Over here will be fine and beaut. Don't forget the suncream Cool Cool Cool
ski holidays
Me and the missus will be out for a week 19/4. Lets hope we don't end up water skiing in the PM LOL Little Angel
ski holidays
Now back at Geneva after a great week.
The journey due to the rockfall was not too bad we detoured up and over the D85 via Montgirod to avoid the very long queue being held at the lights which took a total of 3hrs 5 mins from La Daille to the airport.
latest report
@stewart woodward, @dogwatch, thanks. I'd missed that.
snow report
@stewart woodward, @chocksaway, Gents - as Locals - I wonder if I could trouble you for a bit of local knowledge - we have an apartment in Val Claret - just received the annual paper work for the managing agents - and its freaking us rather . . . Things like 'Copropriete Horizontal du Val Claret' for one and then the local management agents wanting to replace all the windows in the building - a mere €650,000 against some energy legislation - what is going on in other buildings? Would appreciate a bit of local insider info is poss. roger@warham.org

Thanks
Capt. S@chocksaway,
snow conditions
@chocksaway, great to meet you this week. Popped into Embuscade last not night to say "A la prochaine " but I think you might have been jammed in The Jam!

We've had a fabulous week of skiing, only finishing early yesterday as by 14.30 it was just getting too slushy.

On the sad bus back to Grenoble now. Only about 10 months until the planks get another airing. ..
ski holidays
@t40ora, Jammed in definitely - glad you had a good week or I might have had to go into hiding!!

@Captain Snowy, Its amazing what you find out at Rosée Blanche. Here goes - The 'Copropriete Horizontal du Val Claret' has arisen because of the slightly chaotic nature of land ownership in Val Claret (not sure why - but most of it was built by one developer in double quick time). The various building coops want to regularise this legally and it may involve the purchase of land by some. This is likely to take an age and the first big meeting is in Jun and as it will require a lot of people to agree - goodness only know where it will lead. For some there will be little change - others stand to gain quite a bit by the purchase of land as they can then stop hotels etc from expanding and spoiling their view. As for windows etc - there is some new legislation regarding energy efficiency of blocks which is supposed to come in in the next 5 years. However, as with all great plans in France the practicality of upgrading all the tower blocks in France in the next 3-4 years would require just about every builder, glazier and candle stick maker in France, Poland, Portugal and perhaps even Micronesia! That said some blocks have gone ahead - the first was the Savoy in Lavachet where they clad the walls, replaced the roof and replaced all the windows - this has reduced the heating bills massively and improved the look of the place. The downside is, of course, the cost - as a ball park it was about €30k for a one bed flat - more for bigger etc. I suspect that many of the 60s concrete blocks will go through this process. The next building to go the whole hog (with the same company) is Grand Roc in VC in summer 16 - again the order of costs is similar. If you tell me which block you are in I will let you know if I know anyone in there. There is more on the Savoy in the Oct 13 edition of Tignes en toutes lettres - which should still be available on the Mairie website in PDF.

And on to the skiing - the sun was shining to start with but a lot more clouds appeared than forecast but it has remained bright - though I did see a couple of flocons go past the window. A varied morning of great conditions on piste - Leisse has now reopened - but not the cable car - I suspect an inspection regime will have to take place before it can reopen to us. Off piste was a many varied thing from refrozen crust, through spring skiing to slush! Despite the cloud it s still warm and will only get warmer as the weeks go on. High pressure is still in charge until Thursday-ish. A few clouds in the morning should disperse to be followed by sunny days (maybe get the fluffy clouds in the afternoon) until Wed when there are a few signs of more cloud and showers by the end of the week, however they will be rain in resort and quite a way up the hill so hopefully they will not amount to much.

For flying tomorrow - it will be bumpy at times and the chance of rain (could be heavy for a few minutes) up north as showers blow through. The crosswind could be enough at Leeds in an intense shower to require a spot of holding - other than that it should be OK - over here just smashing! Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
@muppet, what was that detour via Montgirod like? The roads look very thin to non existent on my map!
ski holidays
@andy1234, its a challenge in summer!
latest report
chocksaway, is it my imagination or has the cable car been our of service more than usual this season? Around 3 or 4 times this season I think. It was working when we were there in January but had been out of action before then and since. Must be an expensive piece of kit to keep going.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@stevew, Re out of service you are absolutely right - I can only guess on the cost but it is an iconic piece of the infrastructure hereabouts. Both major unserviceabilities have been after huge storms - an unlucky year hopefully.
latest report
@chocksaway, Thanks - thats v interesting. Our place is Le Pramecou in Val Claret.

Capt S
snow conditions
The sun came out, the sky was blue and there weren't many holidaymakers to spoil the view (only joking wink ). Very warm again and after an overnight freeze the pistes were bullet proof early morning. They soon softened up and there is still a lot of great piste skiing (not so much off piste). We managed the Panoramic to Val Claret in one hit - just over 900m vertical. Today was just a case of managing where to go at what times Cool Cool

As for the weather - sunny with the odd cloud kicking about for the next 3 days with temperatures gradually on the climb. The high pressure starts to break down from Thursday and its quite uncertain - but there may be showers around (some quite lively). But it will remain warm so the snow line will be above Le Lac.

@Captain Snowy, I will ask around to see if any of the remaining gang are in that block.
snow report
@andy1234, It was not as bad as I thought it was going to be and my stomach turns on the trip from about St.Foy to Tignes if I'm on the wrong side of the car.

Yes the road was very narrow in places but with rough passing places it was fine. The views were great due to clear weather and it was interesting seeing all the old farm equipment ... My 12 yr old slept, 15 yr old was concerned where we were taking him and my husband kept his eyes on his iPad most of the time but I'm glad we did it and on future trips I'll remember it.
latest report
@chocksaway, you can stop talking about skiing now!

I'm back in the UK and feeling tres desolete!
latest report
Just like yesterday - sun, warmth, marmottes, some boilerplate early on followed by great skiing as the sun moved round. Still lots of good skiing for those coming next week. The resort staff are busy hosing down the streets to make the place look presentable again - a seasons worth of fag ends etc being cleaned away. There has been quite a lot of avalanche activity in the late afternoons - but that hasn't stopped the foolhardy - at 4 o clock I was watching a gang ski the Lavachet wall - a slope that the pisteurs often trigger deliberately in late afternoon at this time of year.

The sun will be the predominant feature until Thursday when we should see a few clouds. Again its still a bit uncertain but we could even have thunderstorms on Friday. It should cool down a little for the weekend.

Finally to prove it is spring - here's the 'Bikini waterslide' at the foot of the Palafour:

And a shot of Double M to prove we still have lots of snow down to the village:

Time for a beer Cool
ski holidays
I think I shall give your waterslide a try when I am up that way on Wednesday. How long is it? Be fun to see how it matches up with the one in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, looks to be about 10-12m.

Another day of spring skiing - but this time mostly next door in Val - starting with a trip to La Daille and then Le Face which was fine - if a little heavy at 11am. Following that we were a little early on Arcelle - where the pisting had been done perfectly - not a bump in sight, but it was still hard - so a very simple "Powerslide" to the bottom - very impressive avalanches in the Manchet Valley - with more to come this afternoon and tomorrow I suspect. This was followed by a very lazy coffee on the 'Ouillette Plage' in the sun. Amazingly not many people about to spoil the chill out ambience. It was thena trip home and a bit of end of season washing of winter togs.

Tomorrow will be even warmer and sunny, Thursday will see quite a few clouds build through the day with a few light showers with a snowline at around 2500m Sad . Friday will also be showery - eventually the snowline will drop to below Le Lac in the evening. Similar on Saturday morning but a bit cooler before it starts to improve on Sunday (maybe!).
latest report
Out here at the moment. Agree with everything chicks is saying. Great skiing to be had. Even skied down to brev today at 3pm. Very slushy at the bottom but still able to get down there without seeing rocks. Skiing higher up is brilliant. Lapping around doubles is brilliant. Tried my first ever aspen burger today. WOW, very good indeed. Averaging 25 miles of piste a day according to ski tracks. Loads to get after and should be for a few weeks still. Must dash as off for a beer and sun bath for an hour of so.
snow conditions
The pisteures were out in force this evening, bombing the bottom part of Trolles.

Some very impressive slides Very Happy
ski holidays
And as if by magic here's a picture:

Taken on the way to the pub. (This is exactly the slope I was referring to in yesterday's post - the pisteurs set the Gazex off at 1750hrs - less than 2 hours different.............)
latest report
And this morning they were repairing the snow cannons that the avalanche played skittles with........

Another day another dollar of spring skiing - again over in the Solaise where there is still a lot of snow (not as much as there is on Trolles now they have bashed that lot wink ) mostly in good nick as it had chance to ease a little bit by the time we got there via La Daille. Finished up with Piste L which again was good with only one thin patch. As it got soft it was time for home and the annual scrubbing of floors and cleaning of windows.

The weather will start to change tomorrow - it will cool a little and there will be quite a lot of cloud around. Friday looks like it might be miserable with showers on and off through the day with the snow line at 2500m till late in the afternoon. Saturday will be sunny periods cooling down over night followed by more showers on Sunday and cooler still with snow below the village (but not much).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy