Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Winter has returned, it has been snowing for the past couple of hours and settling Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Absolutely possing down in Ste foy, since about 3pm, trying to turn to snow😁😁😁😁😁

Hopefully above the first lift is snow.....
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Poubelle monitor is back in action Toofy Grin It is showing a healthy 20cm overnight & it is still snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The pisteures are up early and already blasting away. There must be lots of wind slab about.

The British University Student Races, BUSC, & British Junior races start today but they may as well stay in bed as there is little chance of any races with all this new snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morning all- it may be a slow start as the pistuers are still hard at work. The official stats are 27cm in the village and 40cm up high (but we trust the poubelle monitor!!). The snow on the balcony is wet so I suspect the thighs will be aching shortly after the lifts open - the balcony was still wet at 8pm last night but now:

The avalanche risk is 4 though - take care....

And R'Tignes have just played 'Let it Snow' - Genius!! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@chocksaway, suggest a decent bar and I'll buy you that pint! Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any advice on good ski schools so that we can have a few half day lessons to make the most of the great conditions?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well the lifts started to open at 9.30 - although the highest one was only Grattalu (eventually) because of the strong winds. There was a large queue at Palafour so I elected to jump on the Almes Poma. I knew the snow was going to be heavy - but when I saw Frenchie from Vallon Blanc wearing a pair of the Admiral's Barges on his feet and he was only managing straight lines I knew I was in for a hard time - it was mainly like concrete. I then tried Palafour but it was so busy I retired to the Jam Bar and a day of cleaning in the apt - deep joy. So any talk of a powder day is delusional or marketing speak wink . However, when we can get higher I suspect the snow will be better but it will all have arrived at very high speed so it will not be light and fluffy - spare a few gullies perhaps. On piste will be much better - as all this heavy stuff gets bashed into place - we will have more snow tonight but not as much as last night. This amount of snow augurs well for the Easter week - the pistes should be just great down to about 1800m.

Unfortunately, tomorrow will be as, if not more, windy than today but we may get to see the odd sunny period in the morning - if the lifts are working - Meteo France are saying 110kph in Brev so lord help us up here. We will then revert to snow showers - it is also going to remain warm which will only go and consolidate the snow off piste. Wednesday and Thursday will see sunny periods with the odd shower - it will still be windy but not gale force (hopefully). But the good news is that the temps will drop quite markedly - which will really help the snowpack. Friday looks cloudy and April showers on Saturday - but again confidence in the forecast is not high beyond Thursday.

@t40ora, We might have to meet in the Jam Bar! If you let (PM if you want) me know what kind of lessons you are looking for (age (ish) and standard) I can make a suggestion - lots of the schools may be booked up next week.

As for later in the season - if you fancy a short break after the tour ops have finished The Alpaka will reopen on Sat 25th April with Jill in charge again - contacts remain as before - 04 79 06 45 30 or info@alpaka.com. Trip lengths etc all negotiable at that time of year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@chocksaway, Jam Bar sounds good! I'll look it up and let you know when we are actually in resort.

We're old but fit; mid 50's, but the Mrs. is a (half) marathon runner, I'm a gym goer, and we're both expecting to do a non-stop 100km walk in July. I guess we are officially intermediate level; we like nice runs, good reds and blues. We can get down most things but it might be messy! And we do like a 'good' black. Our ski-buddy from January, who knows our limitations, has suggested we make suer that we do the nice wide black, at the bottom of the red at the top of the glacier.

Here's hoping that the wind drops! We had some of that in January, and also in Serre Chevalier last year.

Really looking forward to hitting the piste, and then a few beers afterwards!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@t40ora, I have sent you a PM with details.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Got it!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still snowing Little Angel Little Angel

Still windy Sad

It's like November/December not March Puzzled
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Was a bit rough today, lovely wind and as mentioned before the concentrated crowds made the open runs (coupled with low visibility) a bit uneven! let's hope the weather man is Michael Fish and he's wrong (not that there is a hurricane coming)!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Looks like our resident snowheads reporters may have been blown off the mountain during the night Shocked Shocked Shocked

Either that our they're out early doors looking for fresh tracks.. wink

The scrum around the Palafour and Tufs lifts suggests that there is very little open at the moment.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@GeorgeVII, Having read my own forecast I didn't set the alarm - so Good Morning! Thanks to a tiny ridge of high pressure the wind is still wild this morning but not quite the extremes that we were expecting - even so just the local lifts open and down to Brev. According to the pressure charts the wind strength may increase this afternoon - so I might get blown over on the way back from the gym. More snow this afternoon. Looking forward to it cooling down tomorrow - the temps exacerbated by the winds are pinching the snow below 1800m.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Regie des Pistes just reported that the winds at 3000m (Panoramic) are about 150kph with gusts to 240kph. Nurse!!
ski holidays
Ouch!!
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@GeorgeVII, Having read my own forecast I didn't set the alarm - so Good Morning! Thanks to a tiny ridge of high pressure the wind is still wild this morning but not quite the extremes that we were expecting - even so just the local lifts open and down to Brev. According to the pressure charts the wind strength may increase this afternoon - so I might get blown over on the way back from the gym. More snow this afternoon. Looking forward to it cooling down tomorrow - the temps exacerbated by the winds are pinching the snow below 1800m.

If you catch what is currently hitting the Broad Acres it may be same as, same as. Sudden 'peak' on the river levels overnight:-
http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels/120580.aspx?RegionId=3&AreaId=8&CatchmentId=34

eg
http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=8258&RegionId=3&AreaId=8&CatchmentId=34

http://apps.environment-agency.gov.uk/river-and-sea-levels/riverstation.aspx?StationId=8053&RegionId=3&AreaId=8&CatchmentId=34
snow report
Yip its now proper windy in the village. As I was in the gym the cloud inexorably crawled down the mountain and it started snowing a couple of hours ago. There are still some hardy souls out there, mostly mad dogs and Englishmen I suspect. As I ventured across the Front de Neige I could see a lot of avalanche activity more of that in a minute. And then I spotted a first of the season - no not a marmotte on LSD but a lesser spotted Woodward in the gym!! The only comment I can make on the snow is that its like porridge in the village - but the cooler temps should help address that over night

@Kenzie, Absolutely - the local paper has the Isere rising down the valley and a couple of roads have been cut off but landslips - so I suspect we are in for quite a ride tonight - and I suspect the Pisteurs will be looking after the safety over the roads etc. I wouldn't be surprised if the roads have to be closed for a bit of PIDA (avalanche control to you chief).

As to the weather - we are expecting light snow overnight and the winds will continue to howl - as they will in the morning. So I expect many lifts to be shut in the morning, especially as a whole host of avalanche work will have to be done. We should then have sunny periods (which will be whizzing across the sky) and there will be a marked drop in temps as the freezing level will be somewhere near 1200m. Thursday looks grey, windy and snowy with a snowline at 1400m so the lower resorts might get some respite. Friday will be similar and April showers is the best way of describing the weekend. It will also warm up a bit. However, a word of caution the pressure charts are a bit complex so all of this could change - between us and Switzerland there is a lot of snow about - pinning down its final destination is a bit trick.

And now the word of warning - from Thierry Arnou, todays avalanche risk forecaster. En ski de randonnée ou hors-piste, les conditions sont très dangereuses en ce moment. Don't think I need translate that. But with all the temp changes, wind transport á grand vitesse and the wet snow there is a lethal cocktail of conditions out there, the risk of very large wet avalanches is great (risk 4) especially overnight. He is warning that all travel is potentially dangerous up here; there is a real threat to mountain refuges and ski lifts.

I think I will use the Palafour Gallery to get to the pub!
ski holidays
Quote:
@chocksaway, no not a marmotte on LSD but a lesser spotted Woodward in the gym!!

I got lost on the way to the Jam Bar wink
snow report
@stewart woodward, Little Angel

On a more sober note there were two avalanches today in Tignes - the most notable being in the Chardonnet bowl - luckily she was dug out by her partner in a couple of minutes. But a lot of pisteurs and a helo pilot had to risk their lives in marginal conditions to assist with the recovery.
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@stewart woodward, Little Angel

On a more sober note there were two avalanches today in Tignes - the most notable being in the Chardonnet bowl - luckily she was dug out by her partner in a couple of minutes. But a lot of pisteurs and a helo pilot had to risk their lives in marginal conditions to assist with the recovery.

Yes heard about that earlier. Why would you go in there today Puzzled
latest report
A day of complete rest! I can't remember the last day I didn't ski, swim or gym so today it was a rollover! Having said that with the gusty wind outside it wasn't a hard decision Cool The wind howled most of the night and continued this morning. The other big change was the drop in temperature -6 degs on the balcony this morning. It has gradually abated and progressively more lifts opened but I am still amazed at the preoccupation that a certain age group has with getting to the Folie Douce; it was the major source of conversation on the bus as I rode round the villages looking at the sales. I also chatted with some mates who had ventured out - there was some nice snow higher up - you just couldn't see it for the snow blowing in the wind and the cloud. There was some sunny periods this afty - but it has really been snowing lightly all day. Bodes well for tomorrow.

Tomorrow should be mainly cloudy with snow flurries in the afternoon, there will still be a gusty wind but hopefully not quite as strong as today - the snowline will be down the valley. Friday, will be similar but less windy and a snow line at 1800m. Sat - same same before we have April showers on Sunday. There is quite a lot of snow to the north east of us forecast over the period and the situation is very fluid - so much could change. There have been 250 reported avalanches over the last 48 hours in the Savoie and the risk reduces a bit tomorrow to level 3 which is still considerable - so still much caution required.
ski holidays
April showers? Rain in resort but snow up top?
latest report
t40ora wrote:
April showers? Rain in resort but snow up top?

Snow in resort, cold & more snow up top Very Happy
latest report
A game of two halves today - but the wind blew through both of them! At height the wind was quite brutal with small hailstones - both glaciers were closed with the exception of the funi in Tignes. I met a group that had been up there (chasing fresh snow) they had to come down on piste and looked as though they had been shot blasted Shocked But lower down there were sume decent sunny periods this morning but by early afternoon the cloud had dropped and the light had all but gone. The snow on piste above the village is absolutely fab - smooth quick (and double quick with the wind behind you!). We did a couple of laps of the pimples (a nod to the avi risk) off piste with a wide variety of wind blasted snow - but the sastrugi were not frozen so you could break through - in the gullies there was some soft snow - only sinking in a couple of inches though - so no face shots. After that we shot up the Palet drag, avoided the traverse under the loaded peak and found some nice snow - but by then the light was intermittent - pause - sun go - pause - sun go etc.

What really struck me was the way the recent gales/hurricanes have remoulded some of the snow landscape. For instance if you skied back under the Merles chair towards the Bun J ride there is normally a drop of a couple of feet onto the Merles piste - today it was more like 12 foot. Also the bottom stretch of Pramecou out of the Col de Ves is normally a flat track about 15 feet wide - today from left to right it had a slope of 25 degs - it must have been really wild up there.

And on to the weather and travel studio - Traffic this weekend shouldn'tbe too bad if you are coming or going, the forecast is for 21000 vehicles going down and 23000 up - so pretty much like last week. A few holdups at the usual places but providing everybody doesn't leave at once we should be OK.

The weather outlook is changing at last - it is still complex over the weekend but now it looks like high pressure will build during the week so clear skies, cold nights and afternoons on the terrace! The good news is the really hot weather seems to have been pushed out by relatively cold air - so although the strong sun will melt a bit of the snow hopefully it won't be flooding the valley down below - firm pistes on a morning though - and perhaps some classic spring skiing.

So all in all next week looks very good - so put the kids on E Bay throw a sickie and get out here Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The weather in detail - tomorrow morning will be sunny, and cloud over from lunchtime - there will be a few showers in the evening with the snow level below 1800m and falling (so well below Le Lac wink ). Saturday will see showers but not too many sunny periods again the rain will be well down the valley. Sunday should be mainly sunny with a few fluffy clouds disappearing through the afternoon - and the we should have wall to wall sun for 4 days or so - with the freezing level only getting to resort in the afternoon.

Hard life in the Alps Cool Cool
snow conditions
Quote:

So all in all next week looks very good - so put the kids on E Bay throw a sickie and get out here

Luckily my Son is 24 and doesn't live here, or he'd be sold!

Looking forward to that first sunny day on Sunday.
ski holidays
t40ora wrote:

Looking forward to that first sunny day on Sunday.

More than likely will be snowing Very Happy
snow conditions
Sun/snow - looking forward to the piste!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arrived today Happy

Would love this forecast to be correct, but almost certain its just a rogue run !!!!!!!! http://www.snow-forecast.com/resorts/Tignes/6day/mid

No other forecast is aligned with this classic from Snow Forecast !
snow conditions
Snowing right now, settling on the paths.... Not sure how long expected to continue overnight
latest report
t40ora wrote:
Sun/snow - looking forward to the piste!

Bright & sunny this morning but a few clouds are whipping across the sky at altitude. It is forecast to cloud in and snow a little this afternoon Puzzled

Today is the last day of 2 weeks of British ski racing in Tignes. The Brits & senior championships have finished and today the U12/10's race combi whilst the U16/14's have a SG. This week has been difficult for both the organisers and athletes due to the amount of new snow but it is better than the rain they have been getting in Meribel, where the races are normally held wink

Enjoy today and get ready for more Brit holiday makers next week rolling eyes
snow report
@chocksaway,
Quote:

So all in all next week looks very good - so put the kids on E Bay throw a sickie and get out here

We would love to do just that. Alas the gas engineer has just presided over the Last Rites on our combi boiler! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad So our chances of getting in another week have just gone up in smoke wink
snow report
@stewart woodward, You didn't fancy a run through the gates yourself then?
snow report
Quote:

Enjoy today and get ready for more Brit holiday makers next week

That'll be us then! Keeping the tourist economy alive, because we can't manage to live out there.
snow conditions
What a great day of spring skiing. The first run was Familial where there was a little chalky snow on top of a harder layer - but freshtracks are still freshtracks:

The group then got a little bigger - any thoughts of heading up the Grand Motte were shattered by Friday Grande Motte Fever - here's the queue at Lanches:

Shocked So we headed for the peace and calm of the Col de Ves which had only opened this morning after the huge amounts of snow. There were areas with a windblown crust and a few gullies with windblown snow - great skiing none the less. However, I took a couple of shots to demonstrate the amount of snow that had arrived up there and how its deposition had been very uneven (and therefore dangerous). Just to the right of Bob's ski pole you can see a piste pole - which was about 7 feet tall last Saturday (like the one on the left), today barely a foot:

This is a shot of a crown line (probably pisteur induced) under the Col de Ves chair - this was bare last weekend (it is regularly blasted to protect the chair pylons):

About 1.5 - 2m there.

The day then got better as we did 2 laps of the Palet drag and started picking up some nice spring snow as the sun did its magic. Then for proper Spring snow at just a perfect constituency we trekked to the hidden gulley - heh ho more fresh tracks:

Which was so enjoyable we did it again (with a photo op):

After a trip up Merles we then did an alternative to the 'Bus Stop' down to Chalet Tourneval which was just getting a bit soft so it was time for lunch (1400!) and home.

The weather remains pretty much as yesterday's report it has now clouded over with a few snow showers forecast for tonight, tomorrow will be sunny spells and showers, the breeze will pick up during the afternoon and into Sunday. After a few cloud on Sunday morning we will then head into spring for the first 3 or 4 days of next week. So a reasonable chance of spotting a marmotte in Tignes by the end of next week wink

For those in the air tomorrow there shouldn't be any weather problems if the forecast goes to plan - there may be low cloud and fog around London at first light (especially Luton) but it should clear - if not there may be the odd delayed departure. There is a small chance of catching a shower or rain as you walk across the tarmac over here. Bing Bong - doors to manual.
ski holidays
Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Great update. Flying out early tomorrow. Cant wait.
snow conditions
Lol love the closing line...what do you fly chocks?
ski holidays
Today was fantastic.. I was very pleased with what we found Happy

The snow from the Glacier in Tignes was great. Mid winter on the upper slopes and amazing spring snow on the lower.. perfect.

The girls were skiing soooooo well also. Great day. Snowing now as well Happy

Alex
ski holidays
@chocksaway, those pictures are not helping with the withdrawal symptoms Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy