Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Captain Snowy, are you about to drop off the side of Pramecou up off the Col des Ves chair?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Backcountryboarder - 10/10 Gold Star - go top of the class.

Picky did look a little squashed - uno why! now corrected.

Captain S
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
off to tignes on Saturday! so excited! ive been told it gets very icey in tignes, how true is this?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No icier than anywhere else, in my experience!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@HoneyBunny, good!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Absolutely, each resort will get hard snow on a morning after a freeze overnight. When this happens is directly linked to when a resorts height and when it closes - ie when all the snow has melted!!!!

Spring again today (a Marmotte was spotted in Le Fornet yesterday - about 3 weeks earlier than normal) - virtually clear blue skies. Had a charge round piste and by the sides (Leisses was very good). After a quick lunch in the sun we went in search of elusive spring snow and BINGO we hit the Grand Huit pimples bang on time for near perfect spring snow - Smashing.

We did see a very ill Piste basher on Lac which has disgorged its green bodily fluids all over the piste.

It must be Monday - there are men in red suits turning upside down on the Millonex. Must dash - meeting Mr and Mrs GeorgeVII in the pub.

Weather much as yesterday but with the chance of a bit more high cloud on Wednesday - there will be a return to more normal March conditions by the weekend - but the forecasts are all pretty nebulous for Friday and beyond.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GO1996 wrote:
off to tignes on Saturday! so excited! ive been told it gets very icey in tignes, how true is this?

Define 'icey'? The lake is 'icey' most of the season - that's why you can walk over it between Val Claret & le Lac. wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Kenzie, the slopes...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
No need to worry about ice. If you're skiing over ice then move your legs wider apart to give you a more secure base. And nobody can turn on ice, so wait until you see a pile of loose snow and turn on that.

Everywhere can get icy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
A most pleasant day skiing with the 'Tignes Chapter' of Snowheads!! Myself, Lord and Lady GeorgeVII, jimski and a handful of the great unwashed wink set off for Le Brevieres - great skiing all the way down as it had not frozen hard (if at all overnight). Somehow we got caught in a time warp as The Etoiles de Neiges (the ridiculously priced caf at the bottom) was playing 'All I want for Christmas is You' - a catchy number that is quite tricky to get out of your noggin - Lady G did threaten violence at one stage if I hummed it again!

Back to the skiing - we decide on a late lunch so after morning coffee at the Jam Bar we set off for the glacier, with a splinter group down Golf/Bus Stop - which was soft just before lunch. There was a bit of a faff with stopping lifts in Val Claret (perhaps they were testing the lights on the half pipe for Thursday - given that you can probably see the half pipe from Space I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't enough juice to run the lot!) we found nice snow around Lesse (the Cable Car was still rammed at 1230). We could also see the approaching high cloud to the west. A jaunt down Genepi found us at the Aspen for that late lunch. Col De Ves followed in the search of spring snow - but we were an hour late as the refreeze had begun - it was just that bit chillier today. So we settled for a piste charge until home time.

The high cloud has arrived but the cloud front has weakened significantly so all it will do is block out the sun (or moon) for a bit and after a few clouds in the morning the sun will return, same on Thursday. Friday will be quite a bit colder as the freezing level at lunchtime drops to 1500m compared with 2800 today. After that its all a bit unpredictable - the main action is over the Gulf of Genoa and the precipitation looks like it will struggle to get over from the Aoste valley - but it will be a south easterly - which of course means we could be in the regime where Le Fornet gets a shed full, Le Lac some and the 3V the square root of you know what. Definitely lots of water to go under the bridge before we will know for definite. Stay tuned!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, quality reports snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GO1996 wrote:
@Kenzie, the slopes...

You should be OK if you follow the sun.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saturday getting excited but first time I've wanted snow forecast's forecast of heavy snow to be wrong (saturday evening is ok though). I dont wanna build a snowman Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To be fair, it usually is. A top up would be nice though.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Another epic day in search of the elusive Spring snow. There were breaks in the cloud at 9.30 and these got progressively larger as the day went on - still a few fluffy ones around. So first real run of the day was down La Face - a bit hectic but enjoyable snow before a push to Fornet via Solaise and the 'Up and Over2'. The first off piste run skiers right from the top of the T Bar was a little disappointing and somewhat teeth chattering - mostly I guess because of the cloud blocking some of th Sun. The air felt a little colder and there was a bit of a breeze. With a plan to do Pays Desert we decide to have an early lunch to let the warmth of the day do its thing. And then off we went to a curate's egg of a run - some frozen sastrugi, crispy chop (sounds like a Chinese restaurant!) and softer snow.

So not to be defeated in our holy quest we used the Pyramides chair and came down Ruisseau de Petit Bois to the West of Petit Signal - which was great snow - chalky and just nice. We continued cutting the corners down Mangard till it got a bit slushy in the valley. A quick whizz down the valley on the Train Rouge and it was time for Familial - again a mixed bag - but it was nearly 4 o clock. Just for good measure it was 'sous de Lat Toviere' to avoid the lemmings (some on Blades FFS) down Trolles.

Weather forecast firming up a little, tomorrow will be the last spring-like day, Friday it will start cooling down and progressively cloud over until a few flocons in the evening as the weak front passes through. The low then sets up over the Med near Genoa and gives us a south easterly from Sat until Mon- some of the precipitation (snow line about 1400m on average) will reach us - the $64000 question is how much. Most of the Apss are giving a much more realistic reading - my guess over the 3 days would be 30-40cm - with more towards Le Fornet. I (and any app) could be wildly out - after Monday its all a bit unsettled and unpredictable. More like a standard March.
latest report
Great report again chocksaway. Out of interest which apps do you refer to?

Also do you ever take pictures, just one or two would be ace like Steve posts in the Val thread, it's always nice to see the slopes Smile
snow report
Think Mrs Capt. S and I were following Mr Chocks tracks today - after the chaos at the top of the Funival etc - Face as ever was amusing - the numbers of Shaky Knees folk was in to double figures and a few fallers and sliders . . .

Fornet was Cold - quite noticeably so. Bit of a side track to mess around on Signal - was as icy as ever at the top - Mrs S moaned . . .

Do wish they would keep the salad bar stocked up more at the restaurant at Fornet! Back on the up and over then down L and over to Tignes, down to La D a couple of times (Ok and Orange not too bad slush wise at 3 pm). Then Tommys up and then down the dodgem run that is Piste H - nip up to the top of Le Motte (v cloudy) and a womble down ended the day. Beer in hand watching the events on the half pipe from my balcony ended a nice birthday!

Have fun

Captain Snowy
snow report
@Captain Snowy, Happy Birthday! Don't forget the fireworks tomorrow night.

@Minion1980, As part of doing my amateur weather forecasting I look at a host of sites and then have a quick look at Meteociel and Snowforecast/SCGB apps - mostly for a laugh!

One day I must buy a smartphone but my ancient 'Builders Nokia' has a great battery life, bounces when dropped and I have no real inkling to check e mails more than once a day - the joys of early retirement.Very Happy. I do sometimes take a camera out but its one for thing to lug about.
snow report
Haha no worries, I lived with a builder for 10 years so I know exactly what you are talking about. Loving your posts regardless Smile
ski holidays
The Snowforecast amounts predicted have gone a bit bonkers Shocked , however if in reality that translates to about 30cms of fresh for my arrival in the EK, I'll take that quite happily.
snow report
Just one of those days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Funny how the stars just line up in a perfect formation. After a quiet night and a night off the beer I got up planning to ski with the same group - off we set when I got a tap on the shoulder in the queue for the Tov Gondola from an old friend Kev - the Head of Off Piste with Evo2 who had a spare seat on a helicopter if I was up for it. A quick (very quick - sorry guys but no mates on powder days - right wink ) apology and I was off. Luckily I was all kitted up and already beeping so off we set. An eclectic group of three instructors, seasonaires, holiday makers and one of the Editors of Source Magazine - one of the free magazines available around the E-K - with some excellent articles.

The first run down was Paquerettes - steep with the odd stone and a check of folks ability to sideslip etc. We then launched down the Paquis slope off piste under the Tov Gondola. Back up the Gondola and it was time to divest myself of some clothing as the hike began up to the peak formerly known as Mickey's Ears - but only for about 15 minutes, not tricky underfoot but quite warm in the ever strengthening March sun. And then the adventure began.......
Kev elected to take us down the Number One Couloir on the rise to Pointe De Lavachet (bizarrely it is also known locally as Dinosaur Puzzled ). Yip - its quite steep and narrow and the odd bit of side slipping but nice snow with a chalky feel. After the couloir, we picked individual lines across the Vallon de La Toviere - where the aircraft occasionally land - unfortunately there was also a skidooing trip running across so the noise and the smell of 2 stroke kind of spoilt the sanctity of the high mountains for a brief moment. As the snow had gone through a number of freeze thaw cycles - it was a mixed bag.

It was time for a regroup and a little bit of banter - quite a bit of nervous energy to release for some and there had been one or two tumbles. After a slug or 2 of water we split into two groups - one to do the 'Classique' route down which is easier for those on boards as there is less of a traverse at the end. Kev then took 6 of us down the Croix de Combefolle variant - where we found the elusive compacted powder and freshtracks. Cue big smiles all round - even when one of the group had a small altercation with a tree root. We carried on through the trees as the snow got a bit softer and eventually arrived at the quarry (which provided all the stone for the dam).

And then adventure 'Part Deux' the arrival of the helicopter shuttle service - after bundling the kit up with straps we awaited our turn. There was a small comedy moment as the chopper landed for the first group - you have to kneel down and be prepared to be shotblasted - as 5 iphones came out to video it. The downdraft does not really hit until the 'mechanical palm tree' is about 15 feet above you - at which point 5 arms all swung to the left as they got caught in the down draft. Luckily no Iphones were hurt during the making of this film!!! Of course the trip was all to short but fantastic views of the Village and the Dam as we returned to the landing site in Le Lac. Done!

If you ever want a fantastic adventure I would highly recommend it - you need to be a good off piste skier and not put off too much by steeps but together with great snow and a helicopter trip it is difficult to think where you could have more fun/adventure for less than €100 (with your clothes on). Kev is an excellent instructor never forgetting that safety is paramount but ensuring that the trip is a memorable experience.

By the power of the interweb there may be some photos - the only snag today was the lack of camera!

The forecast remains unpredictable - it will start cooling down tomorrow and it will cloud over but probably not until after lunch. We may then get a few flocons overnight and light snow through Saturday - the low over the Gulf of Genoa has reduced in intensity and there fore the snow probably won't come much further west than Tignes. Sunday will be more snowy and there may be a chance of a couple of stormy showers late on. Monday will follow a similar pattern, I am afraid I will have to reduce my forecast snow amount by 10-15cm for Sat- Mon to bout 15-25 cm. But the rest of next week will be snowy and there is quite something brewing up for Thursday. So if you are packing for next weeks holiday - leave the bikini and pack a couple of extra layers and low light gogs - spring has been suspended until further notice.

Tonight is the final of the SFR half Pipe event with fireworks afterwards and a chalet night off meal with Lord and Lady George VII. I'm going to sleep well tonight!
ski holidays
Working in Lyon this week and have just decided to head up to tignes for Friday, sat and Sunday. I'm on my own and if there is anyone willing to ski with a Scottish orthopaedic surgeon (hopefully won't need my work hat on!) gimme a shout on here. Staying in le lac. Would be happy for some company. Skiing alone is dull. Mark
snow conditions
As promised - some shots of the skiing in the trees above the Lac de Chevril today:

Its steep in those trees:

Not a hint of camera shake from Kev as I get close:

Trees and very deep snow sometimes call for a strange skiing posture:

Sorry no pics in the Couloir we had a our serious heads on at the time

Off to the pub! Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Looks fab but FAR too steep and scary for me!

@chocksaway, stop reducing the snow totals please, I want lots of fresh to play in! snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
Well folks a day of domestic trivia ahead of some mates arriving, this also involved a 'big shop' in BSM so took some pictures on the way. First off is a long distance shot of the Mikey's Ears Couloir that heralded the start of yesterdays adventure. We entered via the couloir in the centre of the picture between the 2 mini peaks that have little snow on them (lower left is triangular, upper right is more rectangular):

We then skied down to the quarry which is in the centre of this pic - the flat bit in the sun above the scree slope in the 2 o clock of the bridge.

You can also see the old village of Tignes again (for those who want to see more search the 2104 Tignes thread) as EDF are doing more work on the hydro electric system they have had to drain the lake:

And this is how they get big bits of kit down to the base of the Dam:

And finally as a kind of snow status report - here is Les Brev this morning - so with this base and next weeks top up (barring some biblical melt) the whole of the Espace Killy is going to have more than enough snow on piste to last till after Easter:

Now back to last night and the final of the World Cup Ski Half Pipe - it was really impressive to see how much height and what tricks these guys pull - awesome. You can spot the skier way out of the pipe on the left Shocked :

And now for the weather and travel. We have 29000 cars coming both up and down the valley tomorrow so quieter than last week - but still enough to cause jams at peak periods. It is also the last coupleof days for the Geneva Motor Show so expect the airport area to be busy. For those in the air I can'f forsee any weather snags tomorrow at either side of La Manche but it might be raining at Lyon or Grenoble.

As for the weather - unpredictable is the key word. It has now clouded over in Tignes but the light snow seems to have delayed until later tomorrow - though it will be cloudy in the morning. The Low Pressure System over the Gulf Of Genoa can't make its mind up where it is going to plonk itself and as such predictions of snow amount are tricky and just a few miles could change it. But it is going to be snowy Sunday and Monday with the snowline down to 12/1300 metres Very Happy , Sunday might also be a bit blowy. After that confidence in any forecast is low - there might be the odd sunny period, but there will be some showers and snow but frankly beyond Tuesday any forecast is as much fortune telling as science!
snow conditions
A fine morning with just a light haze in the air - quite spooky to look through. We could see the clouds forming around us - especially to the south-east so the 'Up North Section' of the Tignes sHs had a grand day out. Myself, Lord and Lady GeorgeVII and Mr and Mrs W had a cruise round (and the odd coffee) on nearly deserted pistes - much quieter than last Saturday. The light deteriorated a bit and we have complete cloud cover now - expecting the snow to arrive later. Also spent a pleasant half hour watching 'Les Enfants de Snoworks' charge down the timed slalom in the Val Park - very impressive - humbled by a 9 year old - still their pedigree for skiing is a bit better than mine!

Looks like the weather pattern is settling down, the low that I have been banging on about seems to have settled and we can expect light snow continuously for the next 3 days with a snow line well below Les Brevs Very Happy . I still think Val will get a little more than us - likewise we well get more than the 3V etc. It will really all depend how far over the mountains the system gets - lets hope its wearing skins!! Tomorrow could be quite breezy at height. After that its still unpredictable but mixed with snow showers, sun and a small rise in temps.

No snags for flying tomorrow from a weather point of view, but it could be a bit damp anywhere in the UK, over here will be fine if a bit misty in the Grenoble Valley early doors.

For those arriving this week don't forget Air Ladies in the half pipe in Val Claret - some of the best riders/skiers strutting their stuff for charity.
latest report
@chocksaway, such great posts, thanks again for all of the effort. Thinking about stealing a post Easter week if conditions keep somewhat decent, so will be reading with interest!
snow report
Thanks for the update @chocksaway, see you tomorrow!! (Well I won't, but I'll be there anyway!).
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Also spent a pleasant half hour watching 'Les Enfants de Snoworks' charge down the timed slalom in the Val Park - very impressive - humbled by a 9 year old - still their pedigree for skiing is a bit better than mine!

I am devastated Sad The first time I have been beaten by the older 'snowork enfant' Sad I can still beat the younger 2 but I am not sure for how long Puzzled

I need to keep training
ski holidays
The difference between a 9 year old & a 59 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153112545204345&set=pcb.10153112546369345&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153112545619345&set=pcb.10153112546369345&type=1
snow conditions
No hope for Lady George vii - nearly 10 seconds behind but to be fair she hasn't been through that course since 2012 wink
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
Also spent a pleasant half hour watching 'Les Enfants de Snoworks' charge down the timed slalom in the Val Park - very impressive - humbled by a 9 year old - still their pedigree for skiing is a bit better than mine!

I am devastated Sad The first time I have been beaten by the older 'snowork enfant' Sad I can still beat the younger 2 but I am not sure for how long Puzzled

I need to keep training

Stewart you were on GS skis in a slalom course so I don't think you need to be too sad. Smile But I think you need to prepare yourself for next year - I think all 3 will be faster than you by then. NehNeh
latest report
@chocksaway,

Just seen a few flocons floating passed the window.

Can you ask Mr T if I can have an appointment with him this week please ?
ski holidays
@Mrs W, Will do - just put the phone to GOC down!!

@lynnecha, Ta - forecast seems to be going to plan - number of flocons is rising.
latest report
How wrong I was last night - the precipitation didn't really make it over the mountains from Italy Grrrrrrr. It was quite bright this morning and clouded over gradually through the day but we have only had a few flocons and a breezy day. I fear that may be the same tomorrow and Tuesday - todays avalanche report suggests Tignes will get 5cm over the next 24 hours but there will be 30cm at Point de Galise which is only about 10km away - ah well. Tomorrow will also be quite breezy from the south east, Tuesday will be similar but without the breeze. Beyond that - sunny periods and cloud until the weekend - bit of a damp squib weather wise really.

Still lots of good snow on piste - so it may be a week for doing the miles and the lunches Very Happy
ski holidays
There is snow now, but not s major dump. It's covered the road in resort. 44km of skis and 9000m of vertical today. Very windy today and quite cold. Some nice skiing together with one or two wind blasted pistes
ski holidays
Thanks for the helpful update on vallee perdue chocksaway - didn't have good enough internet last week but we skied it on the Thursday mid-afternoon, lots of quite soft snow although piled up to the extent that my boyfriend's 180cm skis did not easily permit sideslip Toofy Grin It was good for a laugh. Only one part, through the cave, where you need to take skis off.

Had a good week with pronounced freeze-thaw midweek, towards the end either not completely hardening or (on the last day) a bit crusty all day. The snow will help soften things up as some pistes were suffering from the wind. Lower down we didn't find as icy as you might expect, no full on slush either. I would imagine it will hold up well through the season in all but the sunny areas where wind has taken its toll.
snow conditions
Variable!!!

Everything today can be summed up with that word. The official report in Tignes said 5cm in the village (more on my balcony!) and 15 cm on high. But the wind warnings were out. so high access was always going to be an issue. Just as we were about to leave the electronic jungle drums suggested 50cm in Le Fornet - so off we went via La Daille and the bus to Laisinant. The Fornet glacier was inaccessible but the Pyramides was running so we found some deep snow in the gullies. However the light was variable which made it very tricky and out of the gullies the wind had scoured the ridges. So it really was a day when every turn was different. We had a couple of goes at that before descending to the village via Mangard - I cut a couple of the hairpin corners and immediately disappeared up to my waist in medium weight fresh - so I sort of fell/somersaulted out of it and went for coffee. After a run up to the Bellvarde summit where the wind was still howling the off piste was no better 15cm or so on top of a hard crust. After lunch we stuck mainly to the piste. So not a classic off piste day but the new snow will really help see us way past Easter - plenty of availability here and in Val for a cheeky getaway Very Happy

Tomorrow the weather looks similar - snow from the south east and a southerly strong wind - the experts are disagreeing how far it will come but the avalanche report is very interesting as he expects another 30-50cm near to the Italian Border and therefore with the amount of windblown snow on top of a hard crust we are at Risk 4 tomorrow - next door in the Vanoise region where they have had little snow it is Risk One. Mid week we will have sunny spells and it will be a bit warmer before deteriorating as the weekend approaches.
snow conditions
stewart woodward wrote:
The difference between a 9 year old & a 59 year old!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153112545204345&set=pcb.10153112546369345&type=1

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153112545619345&set=pcb.10153112546369345&type=1

I get

This content is currently unavailable
The page you requested cannot be displayed at the moment. It may be temporarily unavailable, the link you clicked on may have expired, or you may not have permission to view this page.
ski holidays
@kitenski, We needed the 9 year old to sort the technology out. Laughing Laughing Laughing I was sat watching the said "enfants" with Chocksaway. Great to see them putting in run after run within a few tenths of a second each time.

Back home after another great week in Tignes. Wall to wall sunshine pretty much everyday apart from Saturday. The pistes are holding up really well and there was very little slushy snow to be found.

@chocksaway, Great to get out for a ski with the FAFCSC. (ferret and flat cap ski club wink ) Really enjoyed getting out with Stewart and Mrs W.

A great week on and off the slopes and a pity that it may be our last of the season.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy