Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
Presumeably they'll have some spare wheels but perhaps not a a spare rocker assembly? May have to fabricate a spare part though it doesn't look too complex.

There appears to be a bit of a kink in the arm assembly too ? I assume they expect to fix it this season otherwise why take it down ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Another fine day - the first of the clouds passed over just after lunch but then it cleared again, just now some fluffy cumulous have appeared and they are already moving quite quickly. No news on the cable car I am afraid.

It should cloud over rapidly this evening, the wind will pick up and it will start to snow through the night - gently at first and it will then pick up tomorrow night with some howling gales - we are expecting something in the order of 30-50cm over the next 36 hours - BUT - the avalanche risk is going to shoot up. The forecast for tomorrow is level 4 - due primarily to the hard bases and the amount of wind blown snow. I am sure we will have our first attack of powder fever this winter (though with the wind it is unlikely to be powder in its truest form). Just make sure you are not skiing below this years crop of new seasonaires.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Peter S wrote:
I assume they expect to fix it this season otherwise why take it down ?

To stop it from falling down and causing more damage??? 😱😰
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This morning was very nice. I managed to get to the Solaise Express first thing and the views up the top were fantastic.

Finished the day in light snow at the Folie Douce.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
NE1 wrote:
Peter S wrote:
I assume they expect to fix it this season otherwise why take it down ?

To stop it from falling down and causing more damage??? 😱😰

The cable cars were given a run this morning. Not operational today but it was very windy at the top. No more news I'm afraid.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately not much snow in Tignes overnight. Maybe 10cm. It stopped around 2am and has been dry since. Dust on crust day today unless it starts up again
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
peanuthead wrote:
Unfortunately not much snow in Tignes overnight. Maybe 10cm. It stopped around 2am and has been dry since. Dust on crust day today unless it starts up again

10cm is what was forecast over night Puzzled It is currently snowing in Le Lavachet but it is windy so the lifts may be restricted Puzzled
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Sorry I think above post not accurate. Just went outside and it's a very wet drizzly type of snow which i suspect isbgoing all night. Hard to see in dark. Await daybreak to assess how much
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
peanuthead wrote:
it's a very wet drizzly type of snow

Maybe you should have a sofa day, the snow doesn't sound very good wink
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mornin folks - the good news is that about 12cm (according to the radio) has fallen overnight and as I can no longer see Tigski's apartment it is now snowing heavily on the Chocksaway Scale. I am sure we will get a measurement from the internationally famous Poubelle Monitor when it is properly daylight. Looking at the weather radar we may be in for a bit more than was forecast yesterday - such is the nature of the storms - its a bit of a raffle as to where the intense snow falls. Radio Val reporting over 60kph winds at eight so I suspect the links will be closed and we will be limited to the lower slopes.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, The "famous Poubelle Monitor" was last seen heading out through knee deep powder, with fat skis, and in his long , red, ESF coat. Enjoy the snow and be safe out there.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mrs W, He might have been a tad early - the ski plan site has just had an attack of 'securitisation' for every lift Shocked Might have another cup of tea. Transceiver, powder ribbons and rucksack at the ready....
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It is veritably pI$$!ng down snow now. Visibility will be challenge. I'm sure there'll be powder on pistes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
peanuthead wrote:
I'm sure there'll be powder on pistes.

Tignes website has 18cm of new snow at 2100m
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Back! Very Happy

Well if nothing else that was a good workout for the legs! After we left at 9.15 the snow eased off to light snow - it is now back to moderate (gusting heavy) snowfall and the wind seems to be picking up. This looks set to continue from the radar picture. Palafour was the first open and as the schools were not using the Stade it was fresh tracks through medium to heavyweight windblown fresh - nice but hard work. The cloud must be very thick as the light was poor. Luckily I was stood near an instructor with a radio when we got to the bottom as the pisteurs declared Chaudannes open - so off we toddled - felt our way down to the treeline above Boisses where vis was better and the snow was much lighter (less wind I assume). A couple of laps of Boisses and Brev it was time for a coffee in the Jam Bar, by which time Merles had opened - so we tried Grattalu where most of the new snow had blown off which was a shame.

Still a few brave souls out there - back later with more detail on tomorrows forecast.
snow report
Looks like it's snowing a bit on the webcam. Haha.

latest report
Well! All I can say is normal service resumed
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Back! Very Happy

What at 14.07 when we have powder, powder. powder wink

Skied on piste/off piste today and there is really little difference as so powder everywhere Very Happy Very Happy Trees into Le Breviere this afternoon were fantastic and the last run of the day down 'Golf' was over my knees Very Happy

Currently snowing heavily with another 29cm forecast overnight rolling eyes
snow conditions
Pretty much like the view out of my window!

The heaviest snow will fall through the nights with high winds - so expect a slow start in the morning as the Piste Patrols do their thing - some of them may be occupied making sure the roads up the valley are safe so patience may be required - the avalanche risk is forecast as 4 for the region - locally it could be higher especially high up. As it is going to be snowing all day these jobs will be more difficult as they will not be able to fly to check the snow above the roads. There should be a short respite on Saturday - there may even be a glimpse of the sun in the afternoon - this should make transfer day less fraught; although we are now passed the low season and are expecting another 4000 vehicles each way on Saturday when compared with last week (22,000 down and 26,000 up) so expect some traffic controls. The roads may still have snow on them especially around the villages. Light snow returns on Sunday (and very cold temps) and it looks unsettled all week.
latest report
Thanks @chocksaway. We will be travelling out tomorrow evening.
Today went up Palafour, couldn't see a thing, went in for a hot chocky, pondered a bit, and decided to go down to St Foy.
Brilliant decision. Hardly anyone out, and runs through the trees in deep snow just bliss.
And, of course, could see just fine.
Journey on the roads a bit hairy even with winter tyres, and had to be pushed back into the hotel car park Embarassed
Still snowing hard out there, and don't look like stopping.
If weather similar tomorrow, then it will be back to St Foy snowHead

P.S. have bought chains up to the room to read instructions and work out how they go on . . . . rolling eyes
ski holidays
Got a 2 and a half hour transfer from Geneva Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed that the roads will be alright.
Hopefully it's be a bit clearer next week than the forecast is showing. We're all rusty skiiers with not much experience, so we'll be skiing the pistes mostly.
latest report
[ Traffic info ] - the road between Tignes le Lac and Tignes 1800 will be closed tonight from 9pm to 11pm because of a preventive avalanche triggering.
snow conditions
A bit of a lull at the moment - but the radar is still promising.

@Frankeh, Is that transfer to Tignes? If so that's a very slow helicopter wink (Its about 2hours 30 in the summer, obeying the speed limits. On a Saturday afternoon in winter 4 hours would be a good run........)

But it will be good when you get here Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Folks in 1800 and Brev may be wise to plan morning activities other than skiing for tomoz as in my experience the anti-avi work is extensive after a big dump and takes quite a while
snow report
chocksaway wrote:

@Frankeh, Is that transfer to Tignes? If so that's a very slow helicopter wink (Its about 2hours 30 in the summer, obeying the speed limits. On a Saturday afternoon in winter 4 hours would be a good run........)

They lied to me!

Probably a mistake to fly into Geneva, then.. Oh well. It was dirt cheap for a reason I guess.
latest report
@red 27, Yip - and they have just started already - my bedroom window has spent the last 5 minutes rattling (from the explosions going off that is....)
snow report
@chocksaway, Now that's the kinda 'morning activity' I'm talking about! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Frankeh wrote:
chocksaway wrote:

They lied to me!

Probably a mistake to fly into Geneva, then.. Oh well. It was dirt cheap for a reason I guess.

I need to book transfers.How much did your's cost?Cheapest i have seen is 76 return.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the end I went with a package deal, so not sure.
ski holidays
Not sure what @peanuthead can see out of his window but it is still snowing here in Le Lavachet wink

There were some almighty blasts last night as they were making the access road safe. For anyone travelling into/out of resort tonight it might be worth checking with the Maison de Tignes to see if they are planning the same tonight.

Even though it is still dark the Pisteures are already at work and blasting away. The Internationally acclaimed 'Poubelle' monitor is virtually covered from the ground upwards & the 'Top Hats' are about 30 cm high with flat tops where the wind has whipped away the snow. It is still snowing & forecast to continue all day Very Happy

Have a great day everybody & stay safe.
latest report
@FullyTucked, Bens Bus is generally a bit cheaper - but only on Sat and Sun. Altibus will have got a bit cheaper though with the exchange rate and they run all week - I'd go for the most convenient. GVA arrivals is not a cheap place to hang around!

Still snowing - the official snowfall has been quoted as 30-40cm but it was difficult to measure because of the wind - and despite the forecast its still howling. More snow forecast for this afternoon. It may be a long wait for anything other than the village lifts. The local radio is being a little coy over opening times - I can't blame them!

There is a chance of heavy snow at GVA this afternoon - so a possibility of delays.
latest report
tignesnet.com claims lots of lifts open.
Unable to see through the clouds and snow if Palafour is actually running.
Still snowing hard.
snow report
Palafour has definitely not moved this morning.

Try http://www.skiplan.com/bulletin/bulletin.php?station=tignes&region=alpes&pays=france instead
snow report
@stewart woodward, What's the Poubelle monitor? Puzzled
ski holidays
In Lac. Rosset has just started moving. Millonex drag is being dug out at the top to put the orange netting in place.

No lift pass refunds then Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What a useful site that is Tigski, can't find a Val alternative Sad Not so much info on Val's own site
snow conditions
And a 25 min queue has just formed at the Almes Poma.

@Jonpim, That website is not worth a 4x. It is full of inaccuracies and basically retransmits info from reliable sources whilst advertising.
I think (it was in high speed French) that the radio said Palafour would be closed all day.

@NE1, Welcome to the Tignes thread - the Poubelle Monitor is the Tignes SI unit for snowfall overnight. It is measured on the lid of the Poubelle (rubbish bin) outside Stewart's apartment in Lavachet. On the other hand, the Chocksaway scale is an indication of how hard it is snowing at the moment from light to very heavy. Currently we have moderate snowfall.
ski holidays
@Val Desire, The Val Link is on page 1 of this thread - same site - it basically drives all the electronic boards around the E-K. There is an English version but it seems to upset Mcaffee for some reason.
snow report
Thanks, another site to pass the time Very Happy
latest report
Frankeh wrote:
Got a 2 and a half hour transfer from Geneva Saturday afternoon. Fingers crossed that the roads will be alright.
Hopefully it's be a bit clearer next week than the forecast is showing. We're all rusty skiiers with not much experience, so we'll be skiing the pistes mostly.

At least you are missing Chambery Airport snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy