Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
skied to last lift in lelac ..shame about the morning but great afternoon even if it was cold and very very windy.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A clear but windy day - still some high lifts closed and some repairs to the Telepherique after the storm. For the first time this season I did 6 hours, 2 separate periods of 3 hours - almost feels like being an instructor..... Some of the pistes are in great condition others have some really hard pack - cresting ridge was always a raffle! Did try to get to La Daille but all the runs were closed this morning - not sure why - normally they leave one open if they are racing.

Clouding over late tomorrow and then the winds pick up for a mixed day Wednesday with a few flocons kicking around - the rest of the week looks unpredictable - but there should be some snow before the weekend.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A mixed bag!! Had a mate arrive yesterday for 2 and a half days - so given tomorrows weather forecast today was supposed to be the big day out to Le Fornet! Alas the plans of mice and men. The plan was to ski to La Daille and skip Val by using the bus - but the runs to La Daille were closed (with the exception of the highest run which you can't access directly from Tignes) so we opted to download in the Olympic gondola - thinking Face would be a nightmare - from 50m above it looked skiable - people were actually turning and not side slipping. After the up and over we discovered the Col double poma was closed so then planned to use the Gondy - but there was a massive queue. So opted for an early coffee in Les Crozets in Fornet - run down was OK - Foret through the trees has never been open - and looked impassable (unless you are a squirrel). After coffee we found out the Gondy was closed due to wind (luckily we were still at the bottom of the cable car). So knowing I was beaten we set sail for Tignes and something reliable - The Aspen for a burger for lunch Little Angel

After lunch t'was up the Grand Motte as the light started to fail. Sadly the Cable Car is (as we would say in Yorkshire) looking 'proper poorly'. I knew some damage had occurred over the weekend but some of the wires have wrapped themselves around each other and some of the running gear (the wheels) are at extremely odd angles Shocked . The tarck down to Leisse (underneath it) is closed so clearly something is not well. I suspect it may be some time.

The weather predictions have changed dramatically over the last 24 hours so could change again just as easily - but tomorrow will be grey with a dusting of snow, better Thursday, but then late Friday and Saturday we could be facing a proper snowstorm - and associated chaos.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
YIPEE !!!!! It's snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

The Poublelle monitor shows 5-10 cm overnight Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Will report back later........................ Bye wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@stewart woodward, enjoy.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And boy is it snowing. Webcams look very white!

http://www.tignes.co.uk/webcam.htm
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just the important news;

- IT IS STILL SNOWING Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't you just love it when the forecast is wrong! There was supposed to be a bit of snow overnight and it was supposed to be sunny now - and its not. Overall we have probably had 15cm in the last 24 hours. So it was a scramble start this morning and up the Toviere - which was almost a white out - so after a quick chat with a pisteuse it was down the newly reopened runs into La Daille. Really nice freshies in soft snow and as we went down the blue we were just bumping off the hard base. Round in the bubble - and down a steeper run - which is when we found out the reason for yesterday's closure - there was real proper blue ice underneath and on the steeper slopes you were straight through to it. I had a 'moment' only to turn round to see a gentleman in a red uniform have an even bigger 'moment' and then squeal at his clients who by now were scattered all over the slope. Another lap (of a less steep slope) and then the wind got up and closed the links back home. Confused So we used the Funival and Etriots chair until the wind abated enough to open Borsat - just. It was a brutal ride up. Back to the pad for lunch to await the amelioration - mmmm none - so we ventured out (mates last day) and headed to Boisses using the blue slopes (learning had taken place this morning) still a few fresh tracks to be had just off the side. A couple of suckers gaps appeared but the snow kept returning.

Better weather tomorrow but then it starts again - very windy on Friday with a rapid deterioration. The synoptic situation is very fluid but it will be snowy over Fri night and Sat morning (expect those transfer times to reverse towards midnight Shocked ). As to how much - on a scale of dusting, significant fall, heavy fall, dump I would guess significant. However - it is still all to play for.

Oh and a large crane has appeared on the Dam to lift some kit down as part of the refurb programme of the hydro electric system - there will occasionally be alternate traffic flows (but not on transfer days).
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chocksaway, solid ice = decent base on and off piste or will the new snow just slide off???
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@kitenski, By the end of the day most of it had slid off - short radius turns at the side of the piste were the order of the day. On piste the bashers will rescue some of it and pack it together. Off piste - we have not had enough to really change the big picture - yes there are people who will tell you they have found powder in gullies etc (although I doubt very much it is powder by definition) and most of them are probably selling something wink but overall there is still a long way to go (ie another metre) before the risks of a broken leg or ski reduce enough to make it worthwhile for someone who is here all season to venture far off piste.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway,

The piste to La Daille & your 'patch' of ice were caused by a burst water pipe supplying the snow cannons. I am surprised they didn't have the area fenced off wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@stewart woodward, That explains yesterday's closure then! Must have been quite a burst given the size of the patch. Still like boiler plate underneath down to Boisses though.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Webcams look a lot better than when we were there last week
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kitenski wrote:
@chocksaway, solid ice = decent base on and off piste or will the new snow just slide off???

Isn't weak angular layer still there? My understanding is you want closer to 1m of consolidated snow over weak layer to safely bridge. We are nowhere near that yet nor will be after next weekend. Off-piste will be tricky for the time being. Correct me if I'm wrong
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@peanuthead, You are just about spot on. From todays avi bulletin:
Hors des domaines sécurisés, ces plaques subsistent, plus fréquentes en haute montagne, notamment au-dessus de 2500/2700 m où les sous-couches restent fragiles

Out side of the secured areas the slabs remain, more frequent in the high mountain - notably above 25-2700m where the sub layers remain fragile (or words to that effect)

In addition the wind has scoured some ridges and made some very hard patches which the snow will slide off (if it hasn't already blown off).

Meanwhile this morning there is a thin veil of cloud BUT the pisteurs have already used enough explosive to start a small war - stay safe

PS Looks like the weekends snow will arrive a bit earlier than we initially thought - it is forecast to start tomorrow morning and continue through the night.
snow report
The calm before the storm.........

And the veil of cloud went and the piste bashers had done their stuff - so it was a big smiles day charging round the pistes. We were on the first Palafour chair and did 2 runs top to bottom on just perfect corduroy - it was pretty much the same all round down to 1800m - even down to La Daille was OK - the odd patch of 'noisy stuff' just to catch you out.. Off piste activity was fairly limited from what I could see - except the Chardonnet Bowl which now appears more like a piste as all the off piste courses etc seem to use it as there is so little elsewhere. With all that skier compaction it will have reduced the risk a bit in that particular area.

As the afternoon wore on the wind picked up ahead of tomorrows strong winds and snow - the snow will start gently, initially only down to 2000m or so but the temperatures will plummet overnight so the snowline will be somewhere beyond Albertville. I still think we will be in for a significant amount but it will be spread out over 24 hours so that should help reduce the chance of chaos on the roads for the 18000 vehicles going down the hill between Moutiers and Albertville and the 22000 coming up - a pretty standard week as numbers go. Sunday looks nice but cold (bring an extra layer) the rest of the week is very unsettled with snow in the forecast most days Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy amounts are unpredictable - but it is just what we need - regular but relatively small amounts of snow to make a base but without raising the black flag.

Oh and thanks to Alpine Elements for organising a comedy night in the Hotel Pramecou last night - a good laugh all round - especially at the Seasonaire in the front row who thought he was good at heckling -not!
ski holidays
@chocksaway, thank you so much for your posts. We are quietly in and out of the EK over the season, and between this thread and Steve Angus' blog, we are kept very well informed. Really appreciate all of the contributions. Today we skied around Fornet and Pissaillus and then made our way back. Had some of the best skiing we have had in recent memory. Tomorrow will be different again, but thanks again for all of the updates and info.
latest report
@chocksaway, Did i tell tell you that we had ticked the box marked "Fresh Snow"?

I'm sure we paid extra for that option. wink

Joking apart what normally happens is that we get loads of snow but can't see a bl**dy thing!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
I will be in one of those 22000 vehicles grinding up the hill on Sat morning. Persimmon goggles arriving tomorrow as they appear to be the best on flat light days.
Staying in Tignes le lac in a Skiworld chalet - hotel . Looking forward to it , but not 0430 at LGW. Bringing the carvers and the Monsters so will be equiped for anything.
snow report
chocksaway wrote:
...the Chardonnet Bowl which now appears more like a piste as all the off piste courses etc seem to use it as there is so little elsewhere. With all that skier compaction it will have reduced the risk a bit in that particular area...

The Dauphiné seems to suggest otherwise!:
http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2015/01/15/un-militaire-emporte-par-une-avalanche
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, Fair comment Sir - its close but not in the Chardonnet Bowl. The Couloir de Lac de Chardonnet is the one immediately to the right of the Merles Lift as it changes climb angle dramatically. It is also easily accessible from Lac Piste and is very steep with a lake at the bottom. 2 of the reasons I have never skied it. There have been few people down it this season and there were no tracks down it at about 9.30 this morning. One very lucky bear - luck compounded by having a sniffer dog les than 1 minutes skiing from the pisteurs' hut at the top of the Grattalu.

@lynnecha, Thanks!

@GeorgeVII,
Quote:

I'm sure we paid extra for that option.

That's what you get with a quality company (lucky that its a Sunday transfer this week!)
latest report
@chocksaway, ah yes I know the one... You never quite know with the Daubé how accurate their descriptions are... Sounds indeed like a very lucky man!
ski holidays
@offpisteskiing, And the second 'militaire' to be dug out in the last 3 weeks - the last one was only 150m from the Grattalu Pisteurs' Hut. (There is an assumption there that he is French military - there were a lot about today - but there are also a lot of our very own Senior Service kicking around)
snow report
Well so far the weather is behaving Very Happy It started snowing lightly about an hour ago. The radar picture is looking dark blue further up in France and its coming our way. The local airports are also forecasting heavy rain (less transfer issues!) it will be snow up here. They are also forecasting Towering Cumulus (big intense showers) and Cumulo Nimbus (thunderstorms) so (why haven't we got a fingers crossed smiley?) it is looking promising for a decent amount of snow - finger in air about a foot sir. Very Happy The heaviest stuff will be around midnight and just after - again those early transfers may get earlier....
Early airport forecasts for tomorrow show snow showers almost any where in the UK - so could be the odd aircraft deicing or runway deicing delay depending on how heavy they are. Over here it looks OK at the moment - might be the odd residual rain shower.
snow conditions
Im relieved we're starting to get a consistent bit of snow around the area now (by the sounds of it anyway! Toofy Grin ) Im hoping for another few big dumps of snow before I arrive on the 31st! Very Happy
snow conditions
As you might have guessed its been a day of admin (and dealing with the behemoth that is BT UK). Its been snowing on and off all day but in the village its still damp snow. The glacier has been shut for most of the day for high winds (though the funi was running). Still expecting the snow through the night at 20-25cm now, but depth forecasting is a bit of a lottery and just depends where the most active part of the front passes over. Did pop out this morning and spotted the French Army in the transceiver practice area!

Airport forecast as my earlier post - definitely snow up at Leeds Bradford though! Next week looks pretty chilly so if you are thinking of an odd extra thermal layer - pack it!!!! You will probably need your low light gogs as well as its going to be unsettled all week.

Time for a jam session at the Jam Bar TTFN
ski holidays
The overnight snow did not materialise here in Tigne, just very thick fog this morning. Let's see what the day will bring.
snow report
Update, snow just started to fall
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
On the rocks wrote:
The overnight snow did not materialise here in Tigne, just very thick fog this morning. Let's see what the day will bring.

Same in La Plagne. Not much overnight at all. Let's see what today brings.
snow report
I see blue skies breaking through on Val Claret webcam.

I guess that's it so
snow conditions
@peanuthead, And 5 minutes after that spot of blue we had a really heavy shower of snow - now snowing moderately - keep the faith Very Happy Very Happy

Off skiing!
snow report
Its now nearly 6pm and it has just stopped snowing - which was much later than expected - then again it started snowing 6 hours late. As its misty and windy its a bit difficult to say how much we have had but I will plump for 15cm in the last 24 hours. I met a mate at (.30 and as the light was bad and there was a stiffer breeze than expected at the top of Palafour we elected for Boisses and Breviere - for the first time this season. The vis was so much better in the trees so we did a number of laps - and it was blissfully quiet. There were a few nice turns to be had - although the snow pack down there is not so deep so there was the odd tree root/ski interface issue. Just occasionally the light improved - so I elected for a early lunch (Jam Bar Ciabatta Inglese - full fry in a bun!) but still no improvement - so it was down to La Daille again for the trees. The pistes down to La Daille and Brev will be much better once the snow has been bashed to them tomorrow - most of it had got pushed to the sides by mid afternoon - revealing all sorts of traps for the unwary. Just about to pop out for a birthday do - so here's the weather:

Tonight and tomorrow will be, in the words of Meteo France, glaciale - for @GeorgeVII, that translates as 'quite parky'. We might also see a bit better light. So it might be an early morning as I have an invasion of mates arriving mid afternoon. The rest of the week looks very unsettled with some snow most days which will be good. Very Happy

For flying tomorrow - almost any where in the UK could catch a shower of sleet or maybe snow which may cause the odd delay for deicing. Over this side of the smokey Eurotunnel -- (Chambery and Grenoble maybe didn't seem so bad today.......) Geneva should be OK. But around Lyon Chambery and Grenoble there is a fair chance of temporary freezing fog patches. This should not cause a problem at Lyon, is unlikely to cause a problem at Grenoble but if it chooses to pitch up at Chambery then there may well be a good deal of going round in circles or going somewhere else, given the more tricky approach and the limited approach aids there. Should all be clear by 11am though.
latest report
Thanks @chocksaway, . It's been a bit parky here mate. The snow that i ordered seems to have arrived a day early and in the wrong country. Might need the "chains" to get to the top of our very slippery cobbled road at sparrow fart tomorrow. Shocked
ski holidays
-11 Degs, blue skies, fresh snow - bye!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, enjoy!!!
snow conditions
@chocksaway, looks a lot better than last Sunday in Avoriaz have a good one Very Happy
ski holidays
@Pirate42, Puts on Churchill Dog voice "OOhhhhhhhh Yes!"

Best day of the season so far Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Off for the first lift to find great light snow all round the Palet Sector. To be honest I was very surprised to find how light it was given the wind yesterday - it was very still today and very cold overnight which helped. 7 of us did a number of laps of the 'Pimples' near the Grand Huit, great and relatively easy off piste. The snow was fantastic but there is a lot of shallow patches so I suspect my skis will need the tender attention of Jean-Charles at Ski Fast. The best thing was - very few followed so it was fresh tracks each time Little Angel

Sadly it looks like we have had the best day of the week - cold (good) and unsettled for most of the week - more snow towards the end of the week. But on the other hand it was good that the fog appeared at Lyon this morning and not Chambery.
ski holidays
Funny old day in the mountains.....

It was pretty grizzly this morning, but with much improved pistes we set off down to Boisses to ski amongst the trees. Some short pitches still to be found. As it was forecast to get worse we opted for an early lunch in La Daille (via the trees) with the thought of an early stack. As we re-emerged from the Rosée Blanche the sun made an appearance - so a quick change of plan to Grand Pre. Where there was still some great snow, not completely tracked out, below Pisteurs Couloir so a couple of laps. The sun remained replacing the promised flocons so we then returned back towards home and lapped the same off piste as yesterday near Grand Huit. As it was the mates forst day we retired for tea (and medals - of course).

I understand (from a Monarch email) that today is Blue Monday - well if this turns out to be the most depressing day of the year - its going to be a good one Very Happy Very Happy .

Weather forecast emains unsettled and cold for the week - as for any forecasts of snow amounts - chuck a dice and multiply by 10 wink
snow report
After seasons in Canada and Japan, my expectations of "off piste powder" are probably hard to match up to. Consequently, I'm finding the current espace killy conditions pretty shocking. So much on piste ice, especially on the so called easier runs, lots of threadbare areas and barely a shin full of powder off piste.

Admittedly, all somewhat tempered by getting to the far side of Val d'isere from Tignes and then breaking a binding so skiing back on one foot!
snow report
@thedrewski Having skied a lot in Espace Killy (and the Alps in general) and a fair few times in Canada and the US, I think you may have a different definition of 'ice' to Alps skiers....

We have seen packed powder runs in BC sporting signs warning of marginal conditions; heard local skiers describing the same conditions as 'kinda icy'; and have met skiers who don't bother to ski at all if it's not a powder day - the quote that day was 'Icy groomers just don't cut it.' All a bit unbelievable for us just get out and ski types who just love to be in the mountains and who enjoy skiing whatever's on offer. Yes, we'd all love to ski powder all day every day - but you just have to be realistic when you're in the Alps and treat every powder day as a bonus and not an expected norm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy