Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
After dozing off last night to moonlit slopes through the bed cam it was a bit of a surprise to wake up to 5-10cm of snow (in resort/up top). Not sure that was in any forecast Shocked On with the planks and goggles as there was a lot of layers of cloud about which kept shifting making chasing the light a tricky game. Some fresh by the side but with the lack of vis that was as far as I was going! The slopes seemed busier today but still no lift queues. Its just a shame that it is a bit of a faff to get to the Solaise or Le Fornet as there is still no official piste open to Val. They are clearly determined to get the race in this weekend, but just a bit of effort by STVI for those who have paid for a lift pass would not go amiss. Generally the pistes are great although a few stones were showing through around Merles - hopefully they will get smothered again tomorrow night.

Tomorrow will start cloudy and cool with snow in the afternoon, initially the snowline will be below the dam but through the evening and into Thursday it is going to climb up quite quickly to at least the Le Lac level, if not a bit further. As to how much snow - where is that piece of string - most of the weather is to the north of us (just) but it only needs to creep a few miles further south to make a much prettier picture. Skies start to clear on Thu pm - but its still going to be very warm for the season.

Work is going on apace building the stage for 'Cirque Eloize' a Cirque de Soleil style gang from Quebec who are performing on Christmas Eve and again on New Years Eve - just before the midnight fireworks. No large firemix/rave party this year which should hopefully mean less hassle in the village and mean a more family style atmosphere.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First the good news - here's a picture out of the window right now:

Its snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy the only question is how much - the forecasts vary but the front is moving inexorably south. Come on!

Back to last night and the opening night of La Queue de Cochon - fantastic meal in a great atmosphere, a couple of pics:

The convivial bar - now one of the smartest in Tignes:

And a view of the dining area before we set off:

Its nice to be pampered once in a while and not to have to sit on benches. As for the food - Duncan's reputation is already well established via Lo Terrachu in the summer. I had hare croquettes followed by the milk pork and a medley of chocolately things - the sort of thing I could not even dream of creating myself. With half a bottle of wine each and a pre dinner drink it was still less than 50 a head - this place is a real bonus after the demise of the Clin D'Oeil and the Arbina upstairs. And its right by the Lavachet bus stop - perfect.

Back to today - after Tigski had a problem with his alarm clock (!) we were a bit late setting off skinning. We intended to get to the top of Col de Palet but as the skies darkened it became apparent an about turn about half way up the Palet Poma track would be a good plan. So we felt our way down for a well deserved lunch.

One of the more interesting things in the local paper was a report on the AGM of the Val D ESF where they were reminded of the importance of the British market by the Director of Tourism. I am surprised he was not launched into orbit! What with that and chip gate there is never a dull moment over t'hill.

As I type the snow has now started to fall moderately on the Chocksaway scale (not far off heavy) - we will definitely need the Poubelle Monitor in the morning Mr W!

The snow is set to continue with more showers tomorrow but it is going to warm up so it may well be raining at resort level tomorrow - but up high Madeye-Smiley . The sun returns on Friday but it will be unseasonably warm. Buy high sell low seems to be the way ahead this season.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well it started snowing yesterday afternoon about 1.00pm & it is still snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The Poubelle monitor is indicating a good 10cm of snow overnight and probably 10-15cm in total Very Happy Very Happy
We have probably had more snow in the past 12 hrs than the rest of the autumn.

Currently it is still snowing, big flakes, but only slightly. It is warmish & hopefully the temperatures will not raise too much today Puzzled

The pisteures have been preparing Trolles for the last couple of days so hopefully it will open today Puzzled Snow has also been pushed about to give access to the Palafour lift so this should also open soon Very Happy All in all Tignes is really looking like a ski resort this morning Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
stewart woodward wrote:

All in all Tignes is really looking like a ski resort this morning Very Happy Very Happy

Fingers crossed it stays that way. Bringing some friends and family out this weekend who've never been to EK before and excitment levels have been very low - almost at a point where we don't want to look at the webcams.

wink I did say almost.....
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Glad to hear there is some snow. My sister and family had a week in Morillon and the Grand Massif booked. After the announcement that the resort and the whole Grand Massif would not be opening on 20th (but they may try and get some baby slopes open) I did some frantic scurrying around and they are coming to Tignes instead. They only get to go once a year, in school hols and on a budget, but they love it and my nephews ,who are 8 and 11, are coming on a treat...at least in Tignes, as well as skiing, they will have other things to do. In Morillon, they would have barely been able to find enough snow for a snowball fight!
Next question...do you think that the overall poor state of conditions in France will mean that French and others just won't bother taking their ski trips, so the queues may not be as dire as you might expect, or will it be ski carnage up there?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snowlamb wrote:
stewart woodward wrote:

All in all Tignes is really looking like a ski resort this morning Very Happy Very Happy

Fingers crossed it stays that way. Bringing some friends and family out this weekend who've never been to EK before and excitment levels have been very low - almost at a point where we don't want to look at the webcams.

wink I did say almost.....

I've been looking on the hour!! lol

We arrive this weekend too, and also bringing family who are coming to EK for the first time!

I've been a bit anxious about what the area will have to deliver as it was my recommendation, but glad we didn't go with some of the lower resorts! It's looking like there will be enough to keep us entertained though. My only concern is the potential for additional pressure from skiiers being bussed in from other resorts. I imagine with only around half the EK open (currently), it will feel much busier than usual as it is!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stewart woodward wrote:
Well it started snowing yesterday afternoon about 1.00pm & it is still snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The Poubelle monitor is indicating a good 10cm of snow overnight and probably 10-15cm in total Very Happy

Haha, fancy name wink
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Front de Neige is looking much better this morning. The tyres on the tennis courts are barely visible. Lets just hope the warm temps don't materialise although the BBC were forecasting 15c in London today!

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Is that the value claret bowl?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Looks more like the Val D nursery slopes from my best guess...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
VdI Nursery Slopes - Bellevarde in background ...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sixspeed, good guess snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
value claret
Has it been re-branded/re-priced to make it more appealing Toofy Grin ? (I love predictive text wink )
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coming out this Saturday for a family Christmas. Is the link to Val open? Read one report that the open pistes are somewhat icy. Is that the case? Also, are they still selling reduced price passes?
TIA
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@forwood, according to reports yes the link is open, can't comment on the icy pistes though as I'm not there until Sat
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
value claret
Has it been re-branded/re-priced to make it more appealing Toofy Grin ? (I love predictive text wink )

Predictive text grrrr. If only there was value in val claret.
latest report
Managed a few hours very enjoyable skiing this morning. The snow/cloud kept coming and going but the viz was generally good.

To try & answer some of your questions;

1. Yes, it is going to be busy next week. Def busier than a normal xmas week as all the TO's will be filling their chalets & hotels with guests from lower resorts without any snow.

2. TO's/ski schools are currently transfering clients into Tignes from other resorts & I am sure this will continue next week. I saw a few ESF instructors from St Foy today.

3. The links between Val D & Tignes are open althiough at the moment you have to download into Val. Hopefully after this weekends World Cup race the Verte piste into La Daille will open but I do not think Santons has enough snow yet for direct access to Val D. Piste H into Val Claret is open & Trolles is nearly ready to open. Trolles is not going to be the easy black it normally is as the last section is narrow.

4. The pistes are going to vary a lot from v good soft snow to man made hard packed snow. If you want some control ditch those fat skis & get something with some shape to help you grip/turn wink

5. The offpiste is surprisingly good but you need to watch where you are going as there are lots of rocks/hollows/streams/paths etc still showing.

6. all the nursery slopes in Tignes are open.

After all the above please come, enjoy yourselves & have a good holiday. At least you will be skiing whilst unfortunately others will not be Sad

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 18-12-14 15:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
so good video of the recent snowfall

http://youtube.com/v/hFp7mRrQwV
ski holidays
@stewart woodward, Great info thanks, looking forward to arriving on Saturday!! keep those hot temperatures away for us
snow report
Just a bit more to add from Stewart's summary, the snow was good this morning although off piste you still have to be careful and avoid other people's lines in certain areas as quite often one turn would put you in touch with the surface. The pistes softened rapidly below 2500m as you would expect with such warm temperatures for the time of the year. We knocked off at about 1300 as the mist was getting thicker, the highest lifts were closing due to wind and ice and it started to drizzle in resort. Everything is now slushy in resort and snow is vanishing off roofs etc. That said up high it will still be snowing so tomorrow may be a great day, however, I suspect there will be a bit more cloud than some forecasts are saying. It may also get a bit windy especially in the afternoon.. There may be a bit more snow over Friday night above 1800m. High pressure and warm temps will then predominate until Christmas Day after which it is anybody's guess - that combination will lead to a whole host of conditions wink

PS @Gaza, could you resize your picture to medium (via snowMedia) it makes the thread a whole lot easier to read (and comment on) Ta!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 19-12-14 9:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@Gaza, Ta!

Bright sunny morning and the Resort has just published the chairlift openings for Christmas week:

A la veille des vacances de Noël, le travail conjoint de la Régie des pistes et de la STGM ont permis d’ouvrir un domaine skiable de qualité. Cependant, les caprices de la météo que nous connaissons ne nous permettent pas d’ouvrir l’intégralité du domaine. A partir de samedi 20/12, nous pourrons annoncer à nos clients que 56% du domaine skiable espace killy sera ouvert, avec 46 remontées mécaniques et 54 pistes.
Nous pouvons nous en féliciter aux vues des conditions d’enneigement sur l’ensemble des massifs.

ESPACE KILLY
La Liaison entre Tignes et Val d’Isère pourra se faire via la télécabine de Tovière, au Lac, via le télésiège de Fresse, au Val Claret.

OUVERTURES TIGNES
Secteur glacier :
Funiculaire perce-neige => pistes Double M et du glacier
TSD Lanches => piste Double M
TSD Vanoise => pistes Dahu ; Face ; Rimaye
Téléphérique Grande Motte => pistes Glacier ; Descente
TSF Leisse => piste Leisse
TSK Rosolin => piste Rosolin
A partir du 20 décembre
TSK Champany => piste Glacier
TSK 3500 => pistes 3500 ; Champagny

Secteur Palet :
TSD Tichot => piste Carline
TSD Grattalu => piste Grattalu
TSD Merles => piste Merles ; Lac
A partir du 20 décembre
TSD Palafour => piste Anémone
TSF Grand Huit => pistes Perce-Neige ; Lys

Secteur Tovière :
TSD Bollin => piste Bollin
TSD Tufs => piste Henry
TC Toivère => pistes Creux ; Henry ; Crocus ; Edelweiss et Liaison espace killy
TSD Tommeuses => pistes Creux ; Edelweiss
TSF Rosset => piste Rosset
TSK Lavachet => piste Lavachet
A partir du 20 décembre
TSD Paquis => piste Henry
TSD Fresse => Liaison espace killy (piste Génépy de Val d’Isère)

Les horaires des remontées mécaniques restent conformes à la période 1 (sauf télésiège des Brévières). Cliquez ici pour télécharger le document.

TARIFS FORFAITS
Application des tarifs publics jusqu’au vendredi 26 décembre 2014 inclus sur les forfaits Tignes et espace killy. Une remise de 10% est ainsi consentie.
Pour voir les tarifs « Avant-Saison hiver », cliquez ici
Pour voir les tarifs « Pack famille », cliquez ici

COMMENT ACCEDER AUX PISTES EN PARTANT DES BREVIERES
2 solutions sont proposées :

1) Via le télésiège des Brévières
- Horaires d’ouverture : 8h30-17h00 (dernière descente)
- Débit : 500 pers./h
Une fois les clients arrivés en haut du télésiège, aux Boisses, des bus et navettes les attendront pour les acheminer à Tignes le Lac (place basse/gare routière). La fréquence des bus sera d’environ 5 mins, avec un débit de 1000 pers/h.

Pour organiser le flux des personnes, des billets de couleurs seront distribués aux skieurs par les ambassadeurs Tignes. Les clients seront appelés par couleur et monteront dans le bus à tour de rôle pour fluidifier le transport. Et pour rendre l’attente des clients plus agréable, du chocolat chaud leur sera offert.

Le système de bus aux Boisses sera mis en place à partir de ce dimanche 21 décembre.

A noter que pour les clients de Tignes 1800, le circuit navette reste inchangé.

2) Monter avec en voiture à Tignes Val Claret
Afin de bénéficier de la gratuité sur le Parking de Grande Motte, les clients logés aux Brévières, devront se faire connaitre auprès de leur hébergeur, pour apparaitre sur un listing qui sera remis à l’accueil du parking Grande Motte. Les clients pourront ainsi se garer au parking gratuitement.

So 56% of the E-K will be open, there is a 10% reduction in lift tickets and if you live in Brev you will have to take a chairlift to Boisse where a bus will be waiting to bring you to Lac or you can drive to the Grande Motte carpark and park for free provided by your accom provider has given your details to the reception desk. Well done Tignes for looking after people.

And now just a reminder that the mountains can still catch you out - despite the overall lack of snow there is still an avalanche risk (2/3 depending on height) and 5 army personnel were caught in a slip near the Col de Palet yesterday with one being buried for 10 mins - luckily it was a happy ending. Take care out there!

Finally I will answer Le Poisson's PM in public. Yes the snow is not as good as usual at this time of year but unfortunately I am not able to see more than a week into the future. So for mid Jan I can only look at historical statistics which show that it would be a very very unusual year if there was not a decent off piste base by then.
snow conditions
@chocksaway,

Great to see Palafour opens tomorrow, Mrs W will be pleased Very Happy
ski holidays
Coloured bus tickets to assist with bussing people up from Les Boisses; buses every 5 mins; and hot chocolate for waiting passengers....Have to say I am pretty impressed by the efforts being made by the resort.

Quote:
So for mid Jan I can only look at historical statistics which show that it would be a very very unusual year if there was not a decent off piste base by then.
Isn't it that already though? (ie a very unusual year/winter.)
ski holidays
Sorry for my incompetence in French, is the 10% reduction just for the week of Christmas or maybe the week after too. I arrive on the 27th and was holding off buying the lift pass incase there was no snow
snow conditions
Tomf05 wrote:
Sorry for my incompetence in French, is the 10% reduction just for the week of Christmas or maybe the week after too. I arrive on the 27th and was holding off buying the lift pass incase there was no snow

I suspect that the 10% reduction will apply until more of the resort opens.
ski holidays
So do I!!

@mountainaddict, So far I would call this year as unusual - not very unusual - though I accept that is very subjective.

Sunny with a bit of cloud this morning so some of the pistes were great, some were a bit hard and they were quite busy other than in the Palet sector. There was a lot of avalanche activity showing particularly on west facing slopes, in one of the Grapillon bowls it had slipped from top to bottom. There was a lot of pisteur activity trying to trigger slips - even in the bowls around Merles. The combination of poor adhesion of the base layer, the warm temps yesterday and the added weight of the rain made for a lethal combination - (thanks to Evo2 off piste dept for that explanation). Yesterday's victims can count themselves lucky that they were caught within 100m of the pisteurs hut at the top of Grattalu.

There might be a dusting tonight depending on how far the weak front travels and then, after a windy morning, high pressure looks set to dominate until Christmas Eve when there maybe something in store. So if you are arriving tomorrow you can expect cold clear nights and warm (for December - no mankinis chaps) days. So it will be a cycle of softening pistes that harden overnight - still they should be able to make artificial through the night. After that it is unsettled and unpredictable.

As for the traffic tomorrow the official stats are not available - but the roads like the pistes on Sunday will be busy. Take care out there.

If you are flying (like me) there is a slim chance of temporary fog patches at Chambery and Grenoble - if they form then they should not be thick enough to cause problems at Grenoble but maybe at Chambery as the approach limits are more restrictive there. In the UK fine in the south - a chance of showers up north and strong winds - I may well have my gum shield fitted at Leeds. Shocked

So its over to @stewart woodward, for the daily reports - I may chip in depending on wifi availability during my travels.
latest report
high pressure looks set to dominate until Christmas Eve when there maybe something in store.

i think we, (NY weekers) are all clinging to this faint hope of rescuing our weeks!!!!!

feel for the Xmas week folks..........
ski holidays
@chocksaway, it's very windy in Leeds today but meant to be less windy on Saturday so hopefully your landing will be at LBA and won't be to bad!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@kitenski, Yeah- I've just checked the actual weather at Geoffrey Boycott International - westerly gusting 45 knots - should provide some good pictures on Look North tonight. Just as long as the inbound Monarch doesn't divert.......

Meanwhile back in Tignes - the pisteurs are just putting the piste poles down the sides of the Palafour and adjusting the cushions on the snow cannons (lower Sad ) so should be ready for the 'morrow.
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
@kitenski, Geoffrey Boycott International

Laughing
ski holidays
red 27 wrote:
chocksaway wrote:
@kitenski, Geoffrey Boycott International

Laughing

You missed the Sir wink
snow conditions
Thanks Tignes people for the running updates. Much appreciated. It is very blowy here in Yorkshire, we live at 1000ft and I can tell you I wouldn't want to land a plane anywhere around here just now! Have a good Christmas.
ski holidays
Quote:

You missed the Sir

I'll doff mi cap as I drive through Boston Spa!
Pisteurs still doing avalanche control at 5 pm - actually saw the flash somewhere up the Chardonnet. Snow cannons running merrily on Palafour.
latest report
I've found the info about what's open but isnt the 10% discount just the pre winter rate only available til the 26th? Does anyone have any advise on whether to buy on the Internet now or wait and see when I arrive on the 27th? Quote for the 6 days starting on 28th is still €260
latest report
@chocksaway, they're hardy at LBA, we live about 1/2 mile from the runway at the Guiseley end and they're still landing and taking off even though it's really really windy here
ski holidays
Just to say that we've been in VdI this week and have been really impressed with the extent of skiing and piste preparation given the lack of snow. We've had a great week skiing overall; much quieter than VT seems to have been too. I hope the EK reaps the benefit in future years if it is seen as a safer option for this time of year. Yes, the manpower they've put in for the races on OK could have used elsewhere and it would have been nice to ski back down to the valley, but all things considering they've done a great job.
Our instructors are quite nervous for next week though!
ski holidays
The ski racing is currently on Eurosport & shows just how much snow there is in the Espace Killy Very Happy
ski holidays
chocksaway wrote:
@kitenski, Yeah- I've just checked the actual weather at Geoffrey Boycott International - westerly gusting 45 knots - should provide some good pictures on Look North tonight. Just as long as the inbound Monarch doesn't divert.......

Meanwhile back in Tignes - the pisteurs are just putting the piste poles down the sides of the Palafour and adjusting the cushions on the snow cannons (lower Sad ) so should be ready for the 'morrow.

Monarch into GBI? I thought it was exclusive to this airline!

http://youtube.com/v/ivPWP_6tG4M
snow conditions
Bit mushy this.... Have a look at the Toviere web cam at 16:50 today. Truely magnificent image as you pan around to Mt Blanc. So want to be ther right now.
latest report
The road into Tignes was pretty busy last night so I think we can expect a busy week Puzzled

A few pictures from Friday;

The snow was good but it is not very deep

Sad Sad
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy