Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
@Beegee, depends on the discount - who are you travelling with? We got a deal through our TO that meant it was cheaper to preorder EK passes than to buy a Tignes or VDI pass in resort. No idea how, as they are almost legendary for their reluctance to discount passes even to large operators.

Does anyone know a bar in Tignes Le Lac that will definitely be showing the Saracens vs Sale game on Saturday? If any local snowheads want to meet up we will (assuming flight and transfers go to plan) be in that bar at 4pm local time, ideal to have a pint, watch the game, and be back in the chalet for dinner Smile Game is on Sky Sports 2, not sure if French TV will have it on?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The Alpaka (up the hill pass the Vallee Blanche ski shop) has sky and the ability to show 2 channels (or they did last year). Usually Ok. Check with them night before or lunchtime. Buying beer usually does the trick
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mistress Panda, It could still be cheaper to buy in resort, last week they were charging the 'interseason' price if you went to the ticket office but the 'winter' one if you bought online.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Mistress Panda, the deal is through the people we are renting with - copied below:
2 children's passes (12 & 13 yr olds) = 170 euros per person
4 adult's passes = 200 euros per person
Grand Total = 1140 euros instead of 1456 euros.
So if the Tignes pass is 175 alone, it seems like a pretty good deal to me?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Beegee, from memory we effectively paid £150 each through TO for EK, buy one get one half price (though of course that is based on their standard price, not actual cost in resort). That said, I think they are doing deals on the passes to try and get bookings for the accommodation, sounds like your deal is what is available in resort, I'd just buy in resort at that price as there is a chance of cheaper deals if the conditions don't improve significantly.

@Mark1863, cool, we know the Alpaka and I have vague memories of jugs of beer Smile
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
stewart woodward wrote:
YES we have SNOW Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

At least 5cm in Le Lac, not a lot, but it's so cold it will not be melting and it's a start Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley

When you start doing posts like this it is time to stop dancing for the snow gods & time to get 'Wickerman' - couple of burning humans sacrifices needed! You've got British students in resort, so no worries Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Kenzie, Agreed Toofy Grin - 50 a day should be fine - it'll get the queues down nicely for when I get there Twisted Evil
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

No idea how, as they are almost legendary for their reluctance to discount passes even to large operators.

Don't think that's right - even the small operators are very keen to sell you a pass, so definitely something in it for them.

Sunny morning this morning so as I was not aching too much Tigski and I set off a bit earlier, to find that Tignes has opened the free Bollin Lift in VC, so we took it just to get round the dozens of beginners and then skinned from there to the top of the Toviere (you can just see us on the Toviere webcam at 1310 via the archive- we are just by the Tommeuse Lifties hut). The trip up was uneventful, then after a short break for a cereal bar we set off down through great new snow to the top of the Paquis, after that there was a mixture of frozen crust from the cannons, grass and rocks - the less said the better.

However from our vantage point we could see that both resorts have been putting a lot of effort into preparation. Carline has been pisted until the last corner where the blowers were going to top up the last 100m. Piste Henri has a lot of artificial snow and now needs grooming. Down in the Toviere valley Creux looked ready for pisting and Val had already piste the top of OK Orange and the run down the middle of the valley. However, there are no piste markers as yet on any of the above and therefore legally no pistes. However, I could see that various circuits could be opened up providing people can be corralled into not skiing unprepared slopes with enugh signage. Fingers crossed Very Happy

Mixed weather over the next week with a series of weak fronts - most of the forecast snow should be arriving on Saturday night. Hang on to your hat tomorrow, its going to be quite windy especially in the afternoon as it clouds over with the chance of a few flocons.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Now for the good news:

Planned opening on Saturday

Grande Motte area
- Funiculaire / access to Double M & the glacier pistes
- TSD Lanches / access to Double M piste
- TSD Vanoise / access to Rimaye, Dahu and Face pistes
- TSF Leisse / access to Leisse pistes
- Téléphérique / access to the glacier pistes
- TSF Panoramique
- "Fil neige" for beginners
- TK Rosolin

Tovière area
- TSD Bollin / access to Bollin piste
- TSD Tufs / access to Henri piste
- TSD Tommeuses / access to Creux piste
- TC Tovière, to access the skiing area without using the shuttle

Palet area
- TSD Tichot / access to Carline piste
- TSD Grattalu / access to Grattalu piste
- TSD Merles / access to Merles and Lac pistes

Please note:
- TSF Brévières (for pedestrians only, ski and snowboard held in hands).

Great to see lots more lifts opening

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
After 2 days of skinning the legs needed a rest. Weather has been mixed today with mist and cloud - this meant that some of the higher lifts were late opening as the cables had to be de-iced. Sunny spells around lunchtime but a bit grey now with some light snow showers, as forecast the wind has also picked up and shut the top lifts on the GM Sad .

Tomorrow looks sunny and cold and then the clouds return for Saturday with the potential for strong winds so the opening of the bucketful of lifts will be good news as most of them are only affected by howling gales. So for all those coming out for the 1st real week of the UK TOs season there will be plenty of skiing and we should be able to spread out and avoid the Double M pinball game and you won't have to wait for an hour and a half to download like they did in Val last night Twisted Evil . The forecast fronts are weakening all the time so there won't be any great snowfalls, the Azores high seems to strengthen and keep all the weather over the UK. If anyone has a spare 'weather bomb' (seems to be the buzzword of the day wink ) then the capital of the Azores would be a good place to release the wrath of Thor. Later next week will also see it warm up - but it will still freeze overnight so the cannons can keep going.

Were off to try a newish restaurant in VC tonight - report tomorrow.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@chocksaway, MTFU and get through the pain barrier wink More skinning is required not a sofa day Very Happy

The mountain opened at 10.00am this morning to allow for de-icing and once it did open the Cable Car was closed due to the high winds. It was blowing a proper gale and just breathing at times was difficult rolling eyes The wind has stripped some snow off the higher runs and what is left is very compacted snow Puzzled
The varsity students appear to have progressed quickly as the begineers area is no longer busy and the other pistes are busier. It is no doubt another 'party' for them tonight and their last day tomorrow so hopefully the wind will die down & they will have a good day.

The panoramic restaurant was packed again today. The happiest man on the mountain must be the owner!

As I posted yesterday more lifts/pistes are opening Saturday so hopefully next week will be a quieter Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great news that there is more white stuff around... now the question is: which skis to bring??

Choice between:

- Kneissl black stars (like pistes and ice)
- K2 Lotta luv (like pistes and a bit of messing around in powder)
- Whitedot preachers (not exactly a piste ski...)

So, what's it to be? Need to pack tonight so suggestions please!

Ta muchly,
Ms P.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mistress Panda wrote:
Great news that there is more white stuff around... now the question is: which skis to bring??

Choice between:

- Kneissl black stars (like pistes and ice)
- K2 Lotta luv (like pistes and a bit of messing around in powder)
- Whitedot preachers (not exactly a piste ski...)

So, what's it to be? Need to pack tonight so suggestions please!

Ta muchly,
Ms P.

Whichever ones are your 'sacrifice skis' - the pistes are going to be thinly covered. Confused
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stewart woodward wrote:
Now for the good news:

Planned opening on Saturday

Grande Motte area
- Funiculaire / access to Double M & the glacier pistes
- TSD Lanches / access to Double M piste
- TSD Vanoise / access to Rimaye, Dahu and Face pistes
- TSF Leisse / access to Leisse pistes
- Téléphérique / access to the glacier pistes
- TSF Panoramique
- "Fil neige" for beginners
- TK Rosolin

Tovière area
- TSD Bollin / access to Bollin piste
- TSD Tufs / access to Henri piste
- TSD Tommeuses / access to Creux piste
- TC Tovière, to access the skiing area without using the shuttle

Palet area
- TSD Tichot / access to Carline piste
- TSD Grattalu / access to Grattalu piste
- TSD Merles / access to Merles and Lac pistes

Please note:
- TSF Brévières (for pedestrians only, ski and snowboard held in hands).

Great to see lots more lifts opening

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Sounds good, are Tignes and Val linked by snow at this stage do you know?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
stewart woodward wrote:
@chocksaway, more lifts/pistes are opening Saturday so hopefully next week will be a quieter Puzzled

Suspect there may be a few more students arriving Sat ie 1 x Retrobod jnr!!
latest report
Kenzie wrote:

Whichever ones are your 'sacrifice skis' - the pistes are going to be thinly covered. Confused

Hmm. Hmm indeed.
snow conditions
@Mistress Panda, hire. That's what I'm doing.
latest report
Its been a real shame & Tignes have done exactly what we thought they would do this week

Not open the lifts to good pistes for the week of the Varscity trip. So for those customers who were here in the massive queues all week had plenty of time to admire the piste areas they could have opened up.

They could have doubled the ski area by Wednesday this week by opening the already bashed & prepped pistes, instead they left us in the lift queues to fight over the dangerously busy & overcrowded pistes.
snow report
That's just nonsense.
snow report
+1. The mountains are not a theme park ride, they can only blow so much snow at a time and safety has to be paramount to protect the unwary (I'm am being polite this morning) there are only so many pisteurs to prepare things. This is a cut and paste from the Val skiplan site this morning:

PISTES FERMEES = DANGER ! NE PASSEZ PAS SOUS LES BARRAGES DE CORDES
DESCENDEZ EN REMONTEES

I suspect that this tells a story.......

I know its frustrating but the resort has no interest in delaying opening as they will sell more passes - the queues put off a lot of the locals from coming and there money is as good as ours!
snow report
@Mistress Panda, - Kneissl black stars (like pistes and ice) I reckon
snow report
The Tichot lift & connecting pistes have been prepped & ready to go since Wednesday, they are not opening the lift until Saturday, that simply is a poor show for those already here.
ski holidays
Another day of skinning. We set off from the Jam Bar with the aim of going to the summit of the Palafour, however the snow cover was so thin on Palafour the plan changed and we turned left to the top of the Chardonnet drag and down to Merles, then up Lac to the summit of Merles. There is no way Palafour will open tomorrow, there was grass sticking out until the Savouna and then the snow was only a couple of inches thick. The stream beds have not filled in (one is culverted with rocks and is a meter deep). The Lac run under the Merles chair has been pisted but as yet so security work has been completed - no piste poles or barriers to stop folk falling onto the track so I suspect this may not be open tomorrow morning. On the other hand Grattalu is raring to go and was splendid Very Happy (spoilt only by the sharp wind). Contrary to @Cptsideways, comment above the Carline run into VC is not yet quite finished. They still have the piste markers to put down the bottom half of the piste on the left and some safety work to do. Until this is done it is not legally a piste. On Tuesday it was virtually unskiable (we did it if you recall) since then there has been a lot of snow blowing and pisting. Even so I suspect the lower half will soon 'polish up'. I don't think you can download on the Tichot chair so Grattalu, although it could have been ready would have been impossible to get down from until today. Best leave the experts to it eh? I could also see work going on on Henri - so fingers crossed but no promises.

As we chuffed up Lac we noticed a new structure just below the top of the Merles chair that looks like a ski jump (Tigski will be along in a mo with pics) and a hut with wires (like a CATEX) - anyway we were stumped (and you do have a lot of time to ponder going uphill Confused ). But I have looked at the resort guide and it has been set up as a 'Bun J Ride' so it would appear you will throw yourself down a ski jump and glide down the wires and end up in a snow drift Shocked - its basically across the bowl between the Merles and lac pistes; free entertainment on the chairlift any way.

As for the weather tomorrow will be OK but quite windy with both The Lombarde and Foehn winds blowing - standby for higher lifts to be closed. The weather then becomes a few days of sunny spells and clouds. The Azores high is still winning but there is a chance of snow on Tue/Wed - again not much. Unsettled but warmer towards the end of the week.

As for flying bit damp up north with a chance of sleet in Scotland - so a slim chance that the aircraft will have to be deiced at the end of the runway. Over here, the only comment I would have is it could be bumpy on approach as there are going to gusts of up to 25 knots. Please ensure your seatbelt is fastened tightly. wink

Back to alpine skiing tomorrow as hopefully everybody else will be on a bus!! Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 12-12-14 16:20; edited 3 times in total
latest report
@Cptsideways, Yes a lot of work has been put into that area this week and I have been up there a few times during the week. In my view though, the Carline piste back into Val Claret has not been ready for opening yet. Having skied down it a few hours ago I would say more work is still needed on the last section. Especially where we skied over the stream at the bottom via wooden pallets rolling eyes Another night of snowmaking should sort it out.
ski holidays
A new Ski Jump Puzzled Viewed from the Lac piste towards the top of the Merles chair lift. There is also a new hut by the side of it. Quite a substantial structure.

Any ideas anyone?

Edit. I see Chocksaway has answered it. Must type faster!
snow report
@Tigski, zip wire?
ski holidays
Le Dauphine has just announced that the Espace Killy will open this weekend - which will make it a lot easier for folks to spread out. (nothing on the official websites/FB yet)
snow report
@Tigski, New way to download rather than waiting in the queues?? Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Yes. A zip wire ski jump is shown on the tignes website for this season.
snow conditions
@chocksaway, Yep, Radio Val d'Isere has tweeted to say the Tommeuse chair will open tomorrow and return the other way will be via the Mont Blanc chair.
latest report
From Tignes.net here's the plan for the E-K tomorrow:
ESPACE KILLY: OPEN
From Saturday, December 13th, by the Tommeuses area (possibility to go to Val d'Isère by the Daille gondola only)

TIGNES

Grande Motte area
- Funicular / access to the Double M & glacier pistes
- TSD Lanches / access to the Double M piste
- TSD Vanoise / access to the Rimaye, Dahu and Face pistes
- TSF Leisse / access to the Leisse piste
- Cable car
- TSF Panoramique
- Tow rope for beginners
- TK Rosolin

Tovière area
- TSD Bollin / access to the Bollin piste
- TSD Tufs / access to the Henri piste
- TSD Tommeuses / access to the Creux piste
- TC Tovière, to access the skiing area without using the free shuttle
- Rosset : might open

Secteur Palet
- TSD Tichot / access to the Carline piste
- TSD Grattalu / access to the Grattalu piste
- TSD Merles / access to the Merles and Lac piste

VAL D’ISERE
Possibility to ski on the following areas (high part of the skiing area only, no possibility to ski back to the resort):
- Bellevarde (TSD Marmottes, TSD Borsat, TSF Grand Pré, TSD Fontaine Froide, TC Daille, TSF Mont Blanc, Funival, TPH Olympique)
- Solaise ( TPH Solaise, TSD Solaise Express, TSD Madeleine, TSD Glaciers, TSF Datcha, fil neige tête de Solaise, Rope Tow, TK Terrasse, TSD Leissières)
- Iseran (TSD Leissières, TPH Fornet, TC Vallons, TSF Cema, TSD Cascade, TK Montet).

Still no way down to VDI (The ladies downhill course prep takes precedence) but I guess the FD can open as La Daille Gondy opens as well.

Enjoy
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
On cue - the large playground opened! Very Happy Thee was certainly a release of cabin fever this morning with folks charging here and there on and off piste. As it was Saturday there were no queues (other than when the Marmottes broke down) and plenty of room on the piste. Only time will tell as to how busy it will get as one of the imponderables will be the number of locals who come up high or whether they stay at home and wait. The pistes that are open above 2200m are in good condition, below 2600 there is a lot of artificial snow - so a big round of applause to the snowmakers and groomers (sounds like an old northern club!).

It had warmed up on the thermometer today (+3 at the top of the Tov at lunchtime) so there was little snowmaking even at height, however, it felt a lot chillier than that with Mr Lombarde blowing quite hard.

We skied the Toviere valley and up to Grand Pre - all great piste snow and then down Henri into VC which was a whole different experience to our escapade last Wednesday. There was a lot of folk venturing off piste (including us) and frankly it was the 'curates egg'. Most of the snow is wind drift so in little depressions there was some nice turns to be had; however, there are a LOT OF HAZARDS. The snow depth is very low in general, so we had grass, rocks and even the odd cable and wire to avoid (its amazing what clutters the mountain when its not a couple of metres under the snow). I think the best way to sum up the off piste - there was more falls than usual and there was a lot of checking of bases of skis as people regained the piste. So, as it is mostly tracked out now, I shall probably be staying between the poles until it snows or a high wind redistributes what is there.

So, if you are coming out on holiday you will have a great time in the E-K which is the largest skiable area in France at the moment or so they claim. However, I wouldn't waste any money on booking an off piste course - go for a technique one.

The weather over the next few days is going to be a mix of sun, cloud and light snow flurries. There may be some snow on Wednesday especially if the ridge of high pressure over our part of the world collapses a bit. Beyond that who knows.

Air Traffic Control abacuses willing there is little in the forecast to affect flying tomorrow. Very Happy

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 13-12-14 18:30; edited 1 time in total
snow report
I'm beginning to think about booking fro the 3rd Jan week for me and a mate, we're both low end 50's, given the current snow conditions I'm focussing on Espace Killy. Whilst I've stopped in Tignes many times, I've never stopped in Val d'Isere, even been slightly sniffy about it, what with all the Henry's around Very Happy

However some of options that are coming up are in La Daille and whilst I know access is good etc. My question is are there any decent bars etc. down there to keep a couple of blokes who want a few drinks after skiing and maybe a couple after dinner happy. Thanks in advance for any responses.
latest report
There's a couple of quiet bars in La Daille commercial centre, but the Train Rouge bus runs regularly enough and it hardly kills to walk back if Dicks keeps you beyond last bus Toofy Grin
snow report
As promised a day on piste - still very little queuing and lots of good pistes. We started in the Toviere valley and then worked our way round to the Palet sector. All the pistes were great for all levels except there was a few stones poking through on Merles. The mountain restaurants are now in full swing in the open area and yes there was even one or two revellers at the Folie. As it was a gentle day here are a few pics.

Firstly to demo the point I made yesterday about the hazards of off piste (taken from just above the Mont Blanc chair looking up Familial - so about 2300-2600m):

And although I have said there are no new lifts in the EK this year its not strictly true. In the centre of this pic the abandoned tube train is actually a covered magic carpet which has replaced the mini drag at the base of the Val Park. Presumably the park rats will be able to light their spliffs out of the wind Twisted Evil

And finally here's a close up of the new Bun J ride near the Merles - its a lot further off the ground when you get close Shocked

And just to highlight what the lift companies have to go through to build a new lift here's a quick report culled from the local rag. STVI want to build a new 10 person gondola up the Solaise but they have discovered a very rare wild flower (Silene de suede or Swedish Campion) and had to send a delegation to Paris on Friday to discuss mitigation with the National Parks Authority. I wonder how long that will take to resolve..... Anyway it will give ski hosts something to talk about. Oh - hang on.

Weather report and forecast much as yesterday - the increase in temperatures is looking troubling - especially if you have booked Meribel!

Tonight is the opening bash for La Queue de Cochon down in Lavachet - more tomorrow
snow report
Well for somewhere that's not fully open there's quite a lot of decent skiing to be had Happy

The ski tranquille at the top of Borsat (aka Tellytubby land) is in nice condition and good for remembering how to do this skiing malarkey. Went up Lanches this afternoon which was nice with a good bit off to the side for playing around in.

Hopefully a little more snow is incoming soon...

Ms P.
snow conditions
Admin day today which may have had more to do with dinner at Mr and Mrs Tigskis last night than admin! Oh and that was after a fleeting visit to La Queue de Cochon in Lavachet. Sarah and Duncan have done a great job in renovating the old Scotties bar - a much more modern look together with a 20's Jazz theme. There's also a much bigger kitchen for Duncan to work his magic in. The Restaurant opens tomorrow night and we are the first guests in. Review available here on Wed.

There was a dusting of new snow overnight but it soon melted off the roads and sunny slopes around the village as it has warmed up (6 deg at 1000 this morning). We had a few sunny spells and tomorrow will be similar. There is then a significant chance of snow late Wed into Thu, initially the snow level is forecast to be around 1800m but sadly rising to 2300m on Thursday morning which will be great for the glacier but a nightmare for the lower resorts down the valley. The temps today mean there has been no snowmaking around the village. Standby for some further postponements in resort opening.
latest report
We have had a small amount of snow overnight & currently it is snowing Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Every little snowflake helps wink
snow report
Well, it is snowing and has been for a while, just need a few more lifts and pistes open. It is obvious skiing around the resort that a lot of companies have moved people to tignes, and there are some very average skiers on the limit of their skills, not normal for tignes in December.

In other news I have done something fairly bad to my back, feels like I have jarred it or something. Any suggestions on who to talk to? Assume pharmacy can do hardcore painkillers, but wondering if there is someone in town who is good with back problems?
ski holidays
@Mistress Panda, PM @stewart woodward, as his wife is the 'Flying Therapist', and does a whole range of things for aches and pains.
Edit- you can PM her direct at Mrs W
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy