Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes and The Espace Killy 2014/15 (Useful Links Post 1)

Poster: A snowHead
And that advice continues - over the next few days there will be snow showers and sunny spells and a lot of cloud. No signs of any dumps for the near future unless something drastic happens to the little low in the NW Med. However the cold is coming and there are encouraging signs for the middle of next week Very Happy

Today was mainly sunny but I had some stuff to attend to (forms for the Mairie etc) so that complete I started to read a dictionary about the old Tignes dialect called Lo Terrachu which is mainly based on the Latin languages (Italian French and Provencal French) but with the odd Greek word - as it was mainly used by the old traders/smugglers through the cols I can only assume this was picked up by the traders. Anyway it would appear that the rivalry between Tignes and Val D'Isere goes back much further than skiing, it seems the good folk of Tignes referred to Les Avalines (the people of Val D) as Le bouiyé-neyé which translates as the black bums or black ar**s. It is not recorded what they called the Tignards in Val Little Angel Little Angel
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
As @chocksaway, states the weather is not really doing what is forecast. Hardly a surprise wink

The glacier today was unbelievably EMPTY, no lift queues at 3500 & Champagny. Where have all the skiers gone Puzzled
There is lots of activity on the glacier with new beginners areas being prepared as it looks like low down there will be very little. Next week the Funicular opening hours are to be extended to enable race training to start early and be completed by 12 noon. After noon the race training pistes are to be opened up for general skiing to increase the areas available.
It's good to see Tignes making an effort to look after its customers.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@stewart woodward, Seems a good and sensible idea theyve had!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
chocksaway wrote:
Anyway it would appear that the rivalry between Tignes and Val D'Isere goes back much further than skiing, it seems the good folk of Tignes referred to Les Avalines (the people of Val D) as Le bouiyé-neyé which translates as the black bums or black ar**s. It is not recorded what they called the Tignards in Val Little Angel Little Angel

They called Tignards in Val - lost!
As to how the VDs described the Tignards in Tignes - dambusters?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.

Tignes two days ago - not too shabby Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stewart woodward, Seems a good and sensible idea theyve had!

A little more info;

1. The race training lanes are only allowed upto 11.00am. Gates have to be pulled after this time.
2. The Funicular will open earlier for race coaches, 08.30.
3. A hand tow has been installed on the beginers area on the glacier.
4. The snow cannons are working at high levels but not down to the village yet due to the warm temperatures.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...

... but before you get too excited.... the Double M is a wee bit slithery! On the upside the Taverne de Neiges is open and worth the trek over the grass Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
A marvellous day's skiing but first last night......

It was the filming of Les Copains D'Abord in the big tent in front of the Maison de Tignes. I didn't go with too high hopes but the collection of easy listening through Christmas music was a pleasant way of spending a few hours. There was a whole range of artists from recent competitors in The Voice through some more famous. We had the odd retake to get the pictures right as they are going to intersperse the final programme with the luvvies out on the slopes until the star of the show - Patrick Bruel appeared - there was a huge amount of screaming from half the audience to the point where I was expecting airborne lingerie - but it soon became apparent he had only just arrived and not rehearsed - I also suspect the dry atmosphere got to his throat. Anyway after a few booos (how the mighty fall!!) they gave u on the 4th take. Not sure how they will mash that together. But it will be a huge advertising plug for the resort in Christmas week as it goes out on national telly.

On to the sunny skies this morning and the glacier was just as Stewart described yesterday - bits were busy with lycra clad racers but the rest was left for the few mere mortals who ventured out. Good snow except the last bit on Double M and deserted. Tigski and I did top to bottom (1450m) without stopping and without having to alter trajectory to avoid anybody else - it was just one of those big smile runs. There was some thin cloud which meant it became a bit chilly after lunch - and as it was cold enough you had to avoid the blasts from the Cannons.

In summary for those on the Bash this weekend there is little natural snow below 2500m and even above that there is only a few centimetres so no cover off piste unless it has fallen on a glacier/got trapped in a gully. There has been no snowmaking to speak of below 2300m (apart from the odd bit on Double M). Looking down the mountain it appears much the same across the Tarentaise. Weather forecast remains as yesterday.

After a very late lunch I had a wander to Lavachet to see Duncan and Sarah (famous for the excellent food and ambience on the Terrace at Lo Terrachu in the Summer) who have a new venture this year. They have taken over the bar known latterly as Scotties (before then Censored and Harry's Bar) and have done a load of alterations to turn it into a restaurant and bar pitched at the higher end of the market. I had a quick preview of the menu - there's a few standard items for the unadventurous but a lot of really interesting stuff including wood pigeon, venison etc. There will be set menus as well, for those who know Tignes over the last few years they are aiming at somewhere between the Clin D'Oeil and Upstairs at the Arbina in terms of cuisine (but not as pricey) - as these are both now no more it will be a welcome addition and with Duncan in the kitchen standards will be excellent. They open a week on Sunday - it wont be long before there is a full review I can assure you!!! Very Happy Oh I forgot the new name: La Queue de Cochon (The Pig's Tail).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Another day similar to yesterday but up The Motte there was quite a draft so it felt quite parky at times. Still great snow up there and lots of snowmaking. back in the pad I have just been entertained by the Securite Civile Helicopter doing winching practice on the cliffffs about 100m above the top of the Almes Poma. Photo is a bit grainy as it was taken at max digital zoom:

Weather for flying tomorrow should be OK if a little damp at the UK end in the North later. There is some chance of limited visibility at Lyon due to light snow (yippee), Geneva looks fine.

As for the forecast: more of the same over the weekend, there are a couple of cold fronts next week but by the time they reach hereabouts they will have weakened and there is not a great deal to get excited about. However, for next weekend the Jetstream is forecast to move further south and very early indications suggest heavy precipitation which will be snow up here as its going to stay cold Very Happy . However, a week may be a long time in politics but it is an age in meteorology - so NO PROMISES!

Right got to go - got a gang coming round to dinner and its a bit of an experiment at Chez Chocks as its my first go with Wild Boar (wild it was furious Shocked ) - hopefully a port and guiness marinade will be just the ticket!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Still no significant real snow Sad but it is cold & the snow cannons are blasting away to try & open up additional areas Very Happy
The resort is being selective with the snow cannons & are trying to open Bollin, for begineers, Tichot/Grattalu, for the more experienced skiers & they were even blasting on Trolles last night to try & open the links back to Tignes.

Large areas of the glacier have been 'prepared' to open up areas which are not usually skied on. The lifts are opening earlier and all in all the resort is doing its best to try & make everybody's holiday as enjoyable as possible.

Is Tignes going up market or was yesterday's display of Maserati's for the PSB bashers Puzzled
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Does anyone know how regular the ski buses from Les Boisses are running at the moment - is it classed as full season yet or are they still doing the early season couple in the morning and the afternoon runs?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Atomic_Mick, Not yet, see here:

http://www.tignes.net/en/practical-info/free-shuttle-678.html

Ignore the date these started on 29 Nov (as per the French Page!).
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Pretty good today, snowing most of the time on the glacier but with the sun breaking through the clouds so you could see where you were going. Not too busy but the students may have got up late.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@rjs, They are still rolling in on the buses. You could definitely tell that Inmaculada is upon us - the number of Spanish voices has trebled overnight. Funny old day weatherwise with various cloud layers coming and going and some reasonably heavy showers also at different levels. On one run we left the top of the GM in sun and could barely see at the bottom of Lanches due to the snow, sadly the heavy stuff lasted little longer than a coffee. But with the bare ground still being warm it has made no appreciable difference to the snowline but will have added to the levels above it. The new 'baby drag' has been installed on the Glacier to help the beginners classes - just to the right of Champagny - which means everyone can go skiing - even if it is a bit of an escapade up and down.

Weather forecast remains as yesterday some showers in the week and signs of more snow next weekend.

And finally, as Stewart mentioned yesterday here are the Maseratis (and a long shadow of moi!). Maserati were the sponsor of the Festival des Entrepreneurs that has been going on this week in Tignespace - looks like we are now on the conference circuit which can only be a good thing for the resort. Off to the pub!

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Are they Brit guys running the Maserati's ? Might have to pop along & say hi, thats my field of work, could do with a few jobs in the alps Smile
snow report
They had a few in ESF Red but they were soon sold out

http://www.moibibiki.com/images/maserati-granturismo-red-6.jpg wink
snow conditions
Cptsideways wrote:
Are they Brit guys running the Maserati's ?

The guys who parked them were French, the cars have Paris plates.
ski holidays
A day off the slopes today so a quick report before I pop out to Christmas drinks with some mates. Woke to mist at village level and everywhere was white - more due to hoar frost than anything fresh from on high. The good news is its now distinctly chilly (and will get colder midweek) so the cannons can continue through the day and the ground will cool. The bad news seems to be the length of the queues on the GM - if I venture out I'll leave it till mid morning looking at the queues in VC at 9.30 Shocked

The weather outlook remains as yesterday - and the local forecasters are starting to use 'chutes de neige' for next weekend - fingers crossed.
ski holidays
Looking very dark and miserable down in Tignes on the webcams - and Double M looks mega-busy! Glacier looks BEAUTIFUL, though, wish I was up there today. They're storing lots of snow already...
snow conditions
Random question- has anyone ever tried to buy an asthma inhaler over the counter in France? Mine is emptier than I realised and might need to get hold of one later in the week
ski holidays
papeman wrote:
Random question- has anyone ever tried to buy an asthma inhaler over the counter in France? Mine is emptier than I realised and might need to get hold of one later in the week

Yes its very easy just ask the pharmacist. Its cheaper than a UK prescription too. I always top when in France!!
ski holidays
Having seen the size of the queue for the bus from Le Lac at 0930 I decided to go shopping in Bourg! Conditions much as yesterday and very busy up top. however the snow cannons are going full tilt to try and get more of the resort open - especially on the Carline so folk can ski back from Grattalu where, according to a skinning Tigski there is some really good snow. Also looks like they are trying to get Bollin open for the beginners and to join the dots up with Genepy to release some pressure from the Motte.

Bits of snow forecast for the week and its gong to be cold and windy at altitude tomorrow, as for the weekend there is a complicated situation developing between the Azores high and he Atlantic storms that are going to schwack the UK on Wed/Thu so most of the forecasts are hedging their bets - somewhere is going to get snow - whether that's the Pyrenees or the Western Alps is not clear....... as I said a couple of days ago NO PROMISES. Jam Bar tonight!!
snow report
@chocksaway, And here is the evidence Very Happy

snow conditions
Brrrrrr.. it was cold today, probably the coldest day of the Autumn/Winter so far. This enabled the snow cannons to work all day and the prospect of Bollin & Tichot lifts opening this weekend looks good Very Happy

The earlier opening of the Funicular, to enable race training to start earlier & be complete by 11.00am, worked well. Although there were not that many lanes in gives a safe training area for the racers & opens up all the mountain to everyone by late morning. Tignes are really doing there best to keep everyone happy Smile

The students/Spanish are keeping everyone on their toes, racing snowploughs down 3500 are entertaining wink , snowboarding across the race lanes without a care & crashing into people on the T bars are just a few things I have seen today rolling eyes

We might get a small covering of snow tonight Puzzled but all forecasts say it is going to be even colder tomorrow rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
stewart woodward wrote:

We might get a small covering of snow tonight Puzzled but all forecasts say it is going to be even colder tomorrow rolling eyes rolling eyes

valdisere.com wrote:

TUESDAY DECEMBER 9TH, 2014

Return of everywhere dry weather, but with some more of clouds in the morning, then bright periods, sometimes large, for the afternoon. The wind is moderated in rather hardly, and even violent on thehighest summits.

Temperatures

-5°C at 2000 m and -12°C at 3000 m

Wind

At 2500 m : NORTHEAST, 20 to 50 km/h.
At 4000 m : NORTHEAST, 40/60 km/h

WEDNESDAY DECEMBER 10TH, 2014

After periods brightened up in the morning, one disturbance crosses our massifs in the afternoon and the evening, with some centimeters of snow over 1200 in 1500 m.

Yup. Cold tomorrow. Cool Cool

I love the Google translations of the forecast. Very Happy Very Happy But you do think they would have someone who has a good grasp of English to make a little better. Blush
snow report
Back from the pub (hic!) and we have had an inch of snow in the village Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
Yay. Gotta start somewhere Smile
snow report
YES we have SNOW Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

At least 5cm in Le Lac, not a lot, but it's so cold it will not be melting and it's a start Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Is it ever the case that the forecast says no snow (or a tiny bit) and then you get a dump?
snow report
@stewart woodward, Wahoo - Keep dancing Stewart! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
[quote="stewart woodward"]YES we have SNOW Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Finally! I was starting to get worried, even though I'm not even in Tignes until 31st Jan! Embarassed
snow conditions
Quote:

Is it ever the case that the forecast says no snow (or a tiny bit) and then you get a dump?

Yes. Big falls are almost always under-forecast on snow-forecast.com IME though not by other, more nuanced, forecasts such as the one from chamonix meteo.
snow report
Yip 5 cm in the village and a little bit more higher up. Misty first thing with the odd flocon dancing around but it soon cleared. Which meant it was time for the initiation.........In a moment of weakness I accepted Tigski's offer of a go at skinning so off to his pad it was to collect a variety of equipment . And off we went up the half pipe and round the back of the airfield. It wasn't as difficult as I expected and once we had got past the snow cannons which were working to get Carline ready the peace was fantastic and you could get glimpses of the madding crowds on Double M., After a pitstop at the Col de Ves chair we carried on up the grattalu piste and got nearly to the top before the cloud started building. Discretion took over and set off down with glorious freshtracks through 10cm of new snow. Sadly this was all over just a bit quick and the lower half of Carline was frozen cat tracks from transitting piste bashers which on kna***ered legs was all a bit much! All in all a great afternoon, I now just need to find a chalet girl to rub deep heat into my quads wink

There are a few more flocons going past the window and a few more expected tomorrow before the sunny periods return. The weather system should bring some snow over the weekend but not as much as was hope for. More unsettled weather follows next week.

Right I think I have earned a snooze - oh hang on Mr and Mrs Tigski are coming for dinner - now what can I put in it......... Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Hi - any advice welcome! We are arriving in Le Lac at the weekend, for a week. We were going to pre-order Espace Killy passes - any ideas if enough of it will be open, or we will be better off saving a few quid and sticking with Tignes passes? (2 adults 4 teens, intermediate); unfortunately need to decide tomorrow for the pre-order discount rolling eyes many thanks for any advice Very Happy
snow report
@Beegee,

You are better off waiting until you arrive in resort & see what is open. At the moment Espace Killy passes are not being sold as the links to/from Val D are not open.
latest report
@stewart woodward, Any idea how close they off opening them are stewart?
latest report
PaulC1984 wrote:
@stewart woodward, Any idea how close they off opening them are stewart?

I think we still need a decent snow fall for the links to open Sad Not sure when that could be as nothing serious is forecast.
snow report
@stewart woodward, Before 3rd Jan I hope!!

Are they giving any kind of refund for those who have purchased the EK pass do you know?
snow report
stewart woodward wrote:
@Beegee,

You are better off waiting until you arrive in resort & see what is open. At the moment Espace Killy passes are not being sold as the links to/from Val D are not open.

we just bought EK passes from the Val D side....Shocked are they being optimistic or ripping us off...?
ski holidays
@FiFi_Trixibell, When are you heading out there?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy