Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length carving/piste skis?

Poster: A snowHead
I've not bought a piste ski for over 10 years, but with an impending move to Serre Chevalier next year I'm looking at a piste ski for the days when it's pants off-piste Smile
I ski around 180cm off piste, seen a pair of Nordica Speedmachines 178cm for sale, but am thinking in an ideal world these are a bit on the long side?
I'm 5'7", 73kg and aggressive skier, feedback please!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
KenX, if you're an aggressive skier (you bark at old ladies?) - maybe. Maybe not.

I'm 5'6", 60kgs and on piste these days generally hang out on 185s or 203s (my 165s are worn out and I can't easily justify a new pair). The 203s are particularly sweet.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
KenX, they do sound quite long for a piste ski (assuming you're not an aggressive racer wink ) considering weight and height.

I'd consider myself a fairly aggressive skier, somewhere around level 8 on the Inside Out scale with about 27 weeks on the snow. Each to their own, of course, but I'm 178cm tall, weigh about 100kg and ski on 172cm, 119cm waist, 17m radius. The skis are Kneissl Black Star MCs - outstanding performance on the piste, good in chopped up and crud and really pretty good in the fresh stuff that one finds on the piste from time to time.

I looked for quite a while for a ski that had really strong on-piste credentials that I could push and that could also handle other conditions.

Appreciate that this doesn't feedback on the Nordica's, but may provide some context by comparison.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Haha, one of my fave piste skis was a Fischer 207 Super-G (about 25 years ago), haven't skied anything longer than 180 for around 15 years now though.....
They were a little easier than the 230cm downhill skis I blagged off the Rossignol rep once Smile
In an ideal world we try these things, but the Nordica's are a bargain, though not if they don't suit....
Me, probably 9/10 on the Inside Out with around 8 seasons over 30 years.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
KenX, If they are that much of a bargain why not get them anyway? If they don't suit you can move them on with no/little loss, just a thought Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
halfhand,
Was thinking this anyway, although I'm guessing ~170cm would be ideal, it's just the thought of jumping on a set of 190 off-piste skis would put me off a bit!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I'd consider myself a fairly aggressive skier

So thats what you call it! wink Ange
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you prefer GS sized turns at speed, or quicker slalom radius turns?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
flangesax wrote:
Quote:

I'd consider myself a fairly aggressive faller

So thats what you call it! wink Ange

There ya go Ange, I fixed it for ya wink Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Honestly, fancy making a typo like that!! Laughing Ange
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
clarky999,
Thinking about it, most likely longer turns, probably influenced by my using fatter skis most of the time on piste en route to off-piste!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SL skis... 165s, easy Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
KenX, I used fatter skis (98mm) on piste for 6 years but when I got a second pair for purely on piste I picked some slaloms, they are so much fun and do what I can't easily do with my main skis... short turn on a sixpence.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scarpa wrote:
SL skis... 165s, easy Laughing

Agreed - anything bigger woulf be work not fun, smaller will feel like a snowblade Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm, maybe I'll hold fire and keep my eyes open for some 165/168's, sure there'll be something on here by the start of the season 😀
snow conditions
Only go that short in SLs though, 10 cm or more longer for standard piste skis.
snow report
KenX wrote:
clarky999,
Thinking about it, most likely longer turns, probably influenced by my using fatter skis most of the time on piste en route to off-piste!

Then go long with a mid-20s turning radius.

Problem solved.

Want tighter turns once in a while? MTFU and bend them more wink
snow conditions
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not sure..............
latest report
KenX, but seriously, I'm a little over 5'6" and my last "recreational" piste skis (Rossi 9X0, circa 2004) were only 160s and perfectly fine at that (you are a bit heavier than I am). Really, you don't want any length that you aren't actually going to exploit. It'll just make life more difficult.

Rossignol suggests http://www.rossignol.com/US/US/hero-elite-lt-ti--2014--RADBR02--product--alpine-men-skis.html (your height) to (your height -10) - so something like their current "Hero Elite LT" in 170 or 176 would probably suit.

This of course runs completely contrary to my general position that more or less the skis don't know what height you are... snowHead
ski holidays
KenX, I'm thinking 160 maybe too short, especially if you want it a bit more all round, sods law says when you go out on them you'll find some nice spring snow "just" off piste or something...

What about the Head Titan in 170cm? I've been skiing that for the past few years and has done surprisingly well off piste as well as on. Saying that you can over ski it as it's fairly soft, I got myself some Völkl Code Speedwall 178 cm as a stiffer, more performant piste ski that has a little width underfoot so will be ok on all but the big powder days I hope..

I'm 5ft 10" and 78kg, ski 191cm off piste (Rockered)
latest report
How about these?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/251648942848?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2648
snow conditions
KenX, They look ex-rental to me.

Why not wait until you get out there and demo.
ski holidays
kitenski, sorry, probably not clear on my side, wasn't suggesting 160. 170-180 more like it.

KenX, they look like they are in great shape and have (apparently) decent edge width however, www.epicski.com/products/2011-blizzard-g-force-sonic-iq-ski - "A great ski for those looking to move from green - blue to Blue - Black and beyond."

If you're used to having skied 207 GSs, you'll think they're like wet noodles. I suspect. Knowing nothing else about them.
ski holidays
Not "used" to 207's, just used them in the past!
You're most likely right, just don't want to spend much on an occasional ski 😀
snow report
KenX, that's kind of what I meant Happy - re skis I think you'll overpower them too easily.

You doing a season? head out early and check out the local bring and buy sales, a surprising amount of surprisingly good kit for sale...
ski holidays
Doing seasons for the rest of our lives hopefully, moving to Serre Che 😀
ski holidays
Got a pair of 2011 Blizzard G-force Supersonic IQ (Marker TP 12 binding, 120-72-103, radius 14.5 m, full camber) in 167 for you if you want. Skied about 5 weeks on them, good condition. Can send pictures if you're interested. Would have to ship from the Netherlands though....

Here's a review of them (not by me):
http://youtube.com/v/a2qiLbwrA8Y
latest report
Price/condition?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
KenX, buy once you get there. Be loads of interesting stuff. You there in time for the local pre-season bring and buy?
snow report
Sadly not, still got to sell our house here and wind up my business before we start house-hunting in earnest Sad
May have to take a couple of weeks out there though, purely for "fact-finding" doncha know Smile
And of course the SOPiB if we're not there by then!!!
snow report
If you are used to the old skis in a 207cm and these are such a bargain why not by them as a fast cruising ski and when you get out there look out for demo days and find a great slalom ski to complement them ?

If you are lvl 9-10 on the inside out level vids and aggressive then honestly you should be able to power the Nordica's at 178 then get the slalom skis around 160cm.

Hopefully you will improve even more once you move there and as you will not have to worry about luggage on a plane why not have a set of skis in the end for all conditions? The mountain will be your playground and only boring playgrounds have one ride wink
snow report
Maybe go for a pair of 'cheat' GS in the 170cm range ? Something like a GS 8 or 9 second hand.
ski holidays
KenX, sent you a PM.
ski holidays
Cheizz,
Thanks!
ski holidays
OK, so I've bought the Nordica's off Skimastaaah, bargain thanks Bob Smile
Taking them to Tignes in Nov and will try to compare with some others whilst out there!
Thanks for all the help, I'll feedback on my return
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy