Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommend me an all-mountain ski

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Some of you may have seen my other thread regarding the K2 Kung Fujas I bought which had badly mounted bindings. I've decided to return them as I was getting nowhere with the shop so what do I get instead.

I have a pair of piste skis which I love, Head Icon TT800, but they are crap if you get deep snow or try to venture off piste so I'm looking for something to complement them. I ski piste well but have never ventured far off but would like to more, and I like to play on smallish jumps, etc so the Kung Fujas seemed to offer what I was after. I've only skied them at Castleford including the freestyle stuff and quite like them.

As these are discontinued, what other skis are out there which are similar. I'm happy with last years model/colours so looking for something that will come in less than £500. What do you recommend?

If it makes a difference I'm 5'10" and slightly overweight at 92kg and the KF's were 179 which felt about right
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I skied the Salomon Q105 in 181cm this season and they were awesome, fine on piste and at 105 underfoot with a bit of nose rocker, great off piste too Smile
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.blue-tomato.com/en-GB/product/Fischer-Big+Stix+110+186+2014-301268307-uni/?back=tvccEg

http://www.blacksheepsports.de/Ski/Freeride-Ski/Moment-Skis-Exit-World-13-14.html

?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
897sma, at 5'10"/92kg I'd say your KF's were a size too small.

I've got a few pairs of last seasons Whitedots (various models/lengths) going at the right price Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys I'll check those out.
spyderjon, my Heads are 164 so 179 is quite a step up, what size would you recommend? Also perhaps you could pm details of what whitedots you have which you think might be appropriate.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
897sma, you're a biggish chap. For an off-piste ski with rocker 179 is short. Too short. I'm 175 cm, 70 ish kg and ski a 188 off-piste ski.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I think the Atomic all-mountain twins would suit you quite well. I'm 6' and 85 kg and I really linked the Ritual in 190. The rocker and double tips make these skis ski short. Especially in softer snow or when you need some float, it's nice to have the extra lengt. But there are so many great all-mountain skis... I would look at an all-mountain twin-tip to assist in landings and jumps. I would not go under 100 mm in width if you're thinking powder as well. If you want them to perform on hard snow as well, I think you want some camber underfoot and some decent egde grip. That should narrow it down I think. Here some suggestions:

Allmountain-twins: Atomic Ritual, Blizzard Peacemaker
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Do you think 189's will be too long? I've seen a pair KF's at £250 on sportpursuit but thought they might be a little big for me Puzzled

I've tried a few online calculators and they all seem to put me around 175-180
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
897sma, they'll take some getting used to but when you hit the first untouched patch of snow and make a few turns, it'll start coming together. Other considerations wrt your weight and skiing style are stiffness of ski, width underfoot and whether they will be tolerable on piste. Don't know much about the KFs, what do the reviewers say about their versatility etc etc.?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rishie, the reviews are all pretty good. I'm used to stiff (& heavy) ski's and the KF's are quite soft and light with rocker/camber/rocker which I've no experience of. The 179's felt ok but I've only tried them for an afternoon at Castleford, on snow could be very different I suppose. Still, at £250 with Griffon schizo bindings if I don't like the length I'll probably not lose much if I sell.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy