Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
If 1950 is anything to go by, and I arrived too late to sort the kids' ski-hire stuff out, I'd queue at the shop pre-lesson. If the shop opens at 8.30 a.m, I'd start queuing at 8.00 a.m. You'll be glad u did.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Cheers Don - I think that's got to be the plan, just need to persuade a 5 and a 10 year old that it's a good one!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Jon_b, don't forget it's hour change time next weekend, so an 8:30 French start will feel like a 6:30 UK start... you may want to get them to bed early!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Jon_b, The only lottery about the mid station is if there is insufficient snow to get there - and there may me. Once you get to the station you press the button and the next train stops. At Easter (or just before in your case) it can feel very odd waiting in the warm sunshine for the funicular to arrive.

For the Sunday morning I would get someone to drive you as close as possible to the hire shop, which one are you using? Then trek across to the ski school meeting at the bottom of the Combettes lift. If you need any more help or guidance then ask
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll - Clock change - tick - thanks for the reminder

@johnE Using Precision Ski-Skimium, so a bit of a trek across to the ski school meet. I think we're going to make best efforts to get there in time on the Saturday night! If not I think a lift in the morning is the way forward.

If we can get down to it then we'll have to try the mid-point funicular at least once then, just because. I know what you mean about the weather down in the valley at Easter though. Got stuck with a broken car in Bourg once and spent a very pleasant few days walking (short and t-shirts) on the other side of the valley.

Thanks all Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Jon_b, Is that the place at the bottom of the 3 arcs building. If so it is pretty easy to drop someone off there with the kids to collect the skis. I think it is a 15 minute walk from there to the skischool meeting place with little legs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yes - bottom of 3 Arcs. Pick it because it looked easy to get to, but hadn't twigged that the ski school meet was the other side of 1600! 15 mins should be fine, as long as there aren't too many boulangeries or toy shops on the way wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
One toy shop (or rather tat shop) and one rather nice boulangerie with nice cakes and a good line in morning coffee, but you can avoid that by cutting up to the left at the place of the dead tree. and along the bottom of the piste to the meeting point.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers - good knowledge Happy
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
More later with some photos but in the meantime. Glorious day. Skied the morning and boarded this afternoon. Used ski tracks app for 1st time. Covered 12 miles skiing this morning in 2 hours and 10 miles on boards in 2 hours after lunch. That enough work for today. Snow softening below 2000m but even down in Peisey by the Vanoise all was fine (via SMS)
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
What a glorious day. Up and out with plans to go up glacier, went up Varet, queue for glacier 30 min, though burger this and scooted off down arandelles and up plagnettes and down to peisey. Lovely snow, Transarc to peisey as good as we have skied. Quickly made our way back into bowl for round 2 of going up glacier, back up varet and 45 minutes queues, again gave up and went to apartment in 2000 for lunch. Now very warm, not blistering, just warm.

Decided then to board for the afternoon, the snow had softened heavily so boarding is great fun in that. Again through bowl, up arcabuelle and down to bottom of derby, it was so nice we went back up derby but this time down to peisey, glorious. mrsfatcontrooler was in the zone boarding this afternoon, struggled to keep up, she even did her 1st jump, tomorrow she is going to try a jump and a landing. Back up from Peisey and boarded down to 1800, up varet, down to arpette, back into bowl via lac run, up marmottes and home.

That ladies and gents is how you ski and board 23 miles in 4 hours on the slopes, top speed 41mph and total vertical 5,500m. Finished by 3pm as we went down to Bourg for some shopping. All in all a beautiful day or skiing and boarding and to cap it all as we head back up Month Blanc is shrouded in cloud. Snow is on its way.

Some photos.
top of Transarc

top of arandelles

the 'bowl' from top of bois chair

and last but not leaset.
Our car is parked underground at 2,200m and it was covered in these paw prints today. Anyone know the animal
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@thefatcontroller, lovely photos - the snow looks like meringue. snowHead Sounds like a terrific day. I had an email from a friend who is in Les Arcs for the first time. Said there's plenty of snow! Fingers crossed for snow rather than rain later in the week. The forecasts are all over the place.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
7.30am here in Arcs 2000. Not so sunny this morning. Dark clouds around, not due to snow until this evening but definitely looks colder outside. The plan is to head to La Plagne to experience some slow lifts Toofy Grin

For those that know 2000 we decided yesterday after 10 years of looking at the run to venture down 'Tuffes' yesterday. Glad we waited 10 years and unlikely will ever go back in. They ain't bumps, they are mountains with crevasses in-between. Truly awful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Assuming it's not a very badly behaved small dog, they're fox tracks wink

Fingers crossed for the weather here!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@thefatcontroller, I actually like Tuffes, but you are right the entry is a bit tricky. Most often now we cut that bit out by more or less following the lift down and being embarressed by how badly we ski in a very public arena. However there are some nice really steep bits.
latest report
looking forward to getting back out for a few days, I should be working but looking longingly at the webcams instead! So should I be packing shorts and t shirts? Puzzled
snow conditions
@Jon_b, Good call, there is a restaurant in La Cime, obviously food hunting. Must like altitude and the cold living up at 2,000m

@johnE, You are mad, tuffes is nuts, ducked out asap onto the 1/2 pipe beside Plagnettes. They were monster frozen bumps Laughing

@hethbum, Toss a coin.....
snow conditions
Went over to la Plagne today. Left about 9.30am, snow was boiler plate. Lost a few fillings head down to Peisey. Spent the morning skiing of Roche and Grand Rochette bubbles. Snow was fine, a little soft and spring like but not too bad. Not to busy in La Plagne either. We were goign to go down to La Roche for lunch but decided against, heading back down Pierre Blanches for lunch at le Sauget (just off the top of the montchavin lift). Snow by lunchtime was very soft and hard work, very tiring on the legs.

After lunch we came back to Les Arcs and finsihed up at 3pm. Our app has shown we had skied 27 miles in 4 1/2 hours of skiing. That was enough for today. Hoping for some fresh tomorrow so we can go boarding.

views from Belle Plagne

Lastly looking back at les Arcs from the Vanoise. Snow line high but still plenty of it.
latest report
Jon_b wrote:
Yes - bottom of 3 Arcs. Pick it because it looked easy to get to, but hadn't twigged that the ski school meet was the other side of 1600! 15 mins should be fine, as long as there aren't too many boulangeries or toy shops on the way wink

Hmm - I'm using it too - thought it was in the Roc (where I'm staying), didn't look closely enough at the address. But then I didn't notice the clocks going back or the trek to ESF either.

Where's the lift ticket office in relation to that - me and missus will be juggling the queues for the tickets and the hire - see you in one or the other ! (I'll be the tall bloke with the three kids)
ski holidays
@Pejoli, The lift pass office is in the main square; keep walking to the skischool meeting point. I have never known a queue and the women (for some reason they are all women) are really nice and helpful. BTW I would love to know what you think of the Roc de Belle Face. The apartments there look staggeringly expensive compared to the rest of Arc1600 and I wondered if they were worth it.
latest report
I'll let you know. I've actually ended up with a bit of a bargain (IMO) - a 3pc +alcove for 564 Euros for the week, having originally booked for double that in Jan I noticed the price drop a couple of weeks ago on the Lagrange website, so rebooked and cancelled the original (good old booking.com!)
snow report
@Pejoli, I've actually got our lift passes already - the joy of the Internet and the French postal service... trying to minimise all queueing! Not been on a proper busy week for years and years (forced by kids, schools and my wife's moral compass) so being ahead of the game seemed a good plan. It will all unravel at some point of course! I'll look out for you on the trek to ski school (average height, 2 kids) wink
ski holidays
Mmm 7am here in Arc 2000 and not a flake has fallen. The forecasts had varied to overnight snow to starting this morning. Always nice to wake up and see some fresh but fingers crossed. Looks much colder out there.
snow report
Yeah. Started snowing in Arc 2000 (via SMS)
snow report
Excellent, thats what we like to see, the question is whether there is rain lower down Puzzled
@thefatcontroller, out of interest what are you using for photos as quality is excellent?
snow report
@Llew, Sadly snow has stopped. Shrouded here in heavy cloud so hoping for some afternoon snow now. Using iPhone 4s. Nothing fancy.
ski holidays
Quote:

I noticed the price drop a couple of weeks ago on the Lagrange website, so rebooked and cancelled the original

that was a very smart move. Good price for an upmarket apartment. I've been struck the last two days with how very few people there are around - I suspect a lot of French people who might have been contemplating a late season trip have been discouraged by the relatively (to the normal March) poor snow conditions.
ski holidays
Looking out my window at Mt Blanc and having experienced the white out at the top of Grand Col about two hours ago, I would be very surprised if it did not snow tonight. Local metro is pants. I was listening to the forecast of "no snow today" whilst watching it falling.Open a window, you Muppets! Otherwise very overcast with a flat light that I don't like. Other than that the pistes are holding up.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And those aren't fox tracks. Prob that rabid dog one of the piste patrol drags around with him.
snow report
Webcams show Roche De Mio and La Grande Rochette engulfed in cloud but not snowing. No clouds lower down (2100m) at La Bergerie.

http://www.meteoexploration.com/forecasts/La-Plagne/ showing the odd dribble before a better dump at the weekend.
latest report
Been barely a flake all day in Arc 2000 or anywhere we have been. Now 6pm in 2000 and shrouded in cloud. Hoping that brings some snow and a drop in temp.
snow report
Quote:

Hoping that brings some snow

Having spent days shrouded in cloud sometimes, with SFA falling out of the sky, I wouldn't rely on it. Drizzling miserably here. Snow rather than rain, but hardly worthy of the name. I really should go and put my car in the garage - but that'll probably guarantee no more than 1cm of snow (pretty well as forecast....). Maybe if I leave it out I'll be bitterly regretting it as I dig it out in the morning. Little Angel
ski holidays
Yeah, 8pm and snowing nicely now in Arc 2000(at last)
latest report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I noticed the price drop a couple of weeks ago on the Lagrange website, so rebooked and cancelled the original

that was a very smart move. Good price for an upmarket apartment. I've been struck the last two days with how very few people there are around - I suspect a lot of French people who might have been contemplating a late season trip have been discouraged by the relatively (to the normal March) poor snow conditions.

Very quiet in Les Arcs, much, much quieter than we were expecting for this time of year. As quiet as the low weeks of January..
latest report
10pm and still snowing in 2000. The bashers normally are here at 9pm, seems to be an indication that they expect snow overnight if they don't come at 9pm and the leave it then until 1st thing. fingers crossed.
snow conditions
Great. Am driving up this weekend with the family! Smile
snow conditions
30 hours until we leave snowHead snowHead
snow report
This time tomorrow we will be on Eurotunnel Cool

Exit delays, roadworks, hgv queues, broken down trains, immigrants in tunnel etc permitting
ski holidays
It has snowed, hard to say how much but it is definitely colder which will help.
latest report
Thanks thefatcontroller,
Keep the good news coming Smile
Only 7 hours of work left.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy