Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
March 16. Windy and very icy along the piste from the top of Cachette Chair to the Arpette chair at the start of the day as we set of to join the others.

Oh dear I thought, it will be hard to find good snow again. BUT the weather gods were kind and although it was windy first thing at the top of the Arpette Ridge. The wind did drop a little and the temp warmed up.

After some hard packed snow off piste on the way to the bottom of the Arpette chair from the Vagere we found a nice little couloir looking down on Arc 1950 and Arc 2000 where the snow was chalky and nice to ski.

Then off to the Varet and some more couloir training. This time taking advantage of the fresh snow blown into the Robert Banc face from the top of the Aiguille Rouge. Almost first tracks, one ESF group got there before us!

Up top of the AR and down the glacier off piste area in more firm snow followed by the whole of the Robert Blanc area with another little couloir to test those skills.

Back up top again and time for a trip off the back. Climbed a little gully and then had a great ride all the way down towards Villaroger. Good chalky snow again most of the way with even the odd patch of untracked softer snow in places.

A nice lunch at the Ferme before a different route through the forest down to see the dogs at Pre Esprit.

Up to Malgovert and through the cliffs down to the Mont Blanc piste and home.

What we thought might be a poor piste day turned into an good off piste day with plenty of good snow and some nice challenges for everyone. More to follow tomorrow we hope!

For those on piste, be careful early in the day as the pistes are very firm and icy in places. The areas near the lifts and other busy places are boiler plate and you need to take great care when stopping.

Best to follow the sun first thing and try to find softer snow. Watch out for people out of control. There were some bad crashes today! Take care!

More photos to follow in the March 2015 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for updates! Heading out to La Plagne on Saturday and have been nervously looking at forcasts and webcams, nice to know that it's not all doom and gloom.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
March 17. What a fun day we had. Windy again and some of the higher lifts closed at the start of the day, but that did not put us off.

Headed over to La Plagne today hoping to get to the top of the Bellecote. No chance! Not even the top of Roche de Mio was open at first.

Changed our plans and headed for Champagny and the Verdon Sud chair via the gully. Fun with ok snow all the way down!

Then up the chair and down the skiers right couloir from the ridge back to the chair again. More good spring snow. Really nice!

Back up the Verdon Sud chair and off piste down to Plagne Centre through the rollers and a steep face. Spent some time looking for a ski in the soft snow, but the steep face under the Verdon North Chair was in good condition which was good as I had to do it twice.

Top of the Grande Rochette and down the South Face in more good spring snow before back up the same chair.

Finally down the Couloir off the top under the gondola towards Plagne Centre. Narrow, steep but with good firm chalky snow although side slipping was needed in some places. Everyone managed some nice turns and then a fast ski back towards Les Arcs.

One final route through the trees above Les Coches where the snow had softened up nicely then down to the Vanoise Express and home.

A fun day was had by all. Tomorrow off to Val Thorens and back in Les Arcs the end of next week.

For everyone coming out in the next week. The pistes are very fim and hard packed in the mornings with many icy patches first thing. BUT if you follow the sun and try to keep off the pistes which have been turned into boiler plates by the wind then there are many good pistes to ski as the snow gets soft. Right now you can still reach all the ski stations across the whole Paradiski area.

Photos from the last two days will be posted shortly in the March 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes.. it was fun day but the snow is 'not good'. For anyone coming out pray. Only three days left of ice, slush.. and really wish I'd brought a pair of shorts...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heading out Saturday, potential some fresh around, either way the worst day on the slopes is still better than the best day in work.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
allanm wrote:
Yes.. it was fun day but the snow is 'not good'. For anyone coming out pray. Only three days left of ice, slush.. and really wish I'd brought a pair of shorts...

This sort of post always amuses me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@ringingmaster, scares me as we're not there to 28th

But does contradict the post above which implies there is plenty of skiing to be had
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Boris, We are out in Vallandry on 28th also. Not concerned at all. There will be plenty of skiing, and you will have a great week - as usual. We have skiied in Les Arc in much worse snow conditions and always had a great week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Boris, @ringingmaster, Ok, I may have overstated a bit, apologies. Up until today I've been out with boarders, mainly on or just off the sides, it isn't particularly pleasant, apart from a window of a couple of hours if you follow the sun.

Today was much better, out with a [good] skier. Played off piste off the top of the Varet just after 12, snow in the couloire ( far left when going up the lift) was actually rather nice. Back up and big bumps to start with, then headed down to come out by the Mushroom was quite acceptable, need to watch for rocks though.

The other of note was Malgovert, steep entrance immediately left as you go down the track... was rather nice....

Sorry guys if I was a little too pessimistic, whilst LA could do with a (severe) freshen up, if you do go to the right places at the right times there is fair skiing to be had.

snowcrazy, Really sorry I missed you.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There's plenty off good skiing at the moment. Spring conditions all round. I'm up in 2000 this week. I've never seen so many good bump runs before...... They are everywhere. I've not been here for 12 or so years.....can anyone who is a regular Arc skier tell me if there are always a high number of mogul runs around. If so I will be coming back.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bluenatic, All Natur runs usually have decent bumps plus Comborciere, Tuffs and the side of Cachette. You will, on occaisions (about 1/2 the time), find bumps on Bosses, Aiguille Rouge, Lac and Roulles. However, most of the rest tends to be bashed frequently.

I am not sure that this constitutes a high number of bump runs, but to me it is what I would expect in a resort catering for a full range of skiers.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@bluenatic, yes this is norm
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
loads of .bumps... grand col too,.. off varet...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading out later to our place in 2000. Forecast looking better for next week. Might even get our boards out. Cool
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@allanm, Oh yes I forgot aboujt refuge. The best beginer bumps in the resort
latest report
johnE, wink

Raining at the top of Vallandry lift lunchtime, I guess though, that no matter how 'dubious' the snow is, you'll always have a great time - I certainly have.
latest report
let's see if this mobile update works. Just arrived 2000. Snowing from 1600 up. Rain below. Doesn't look like it has been snowing long but it's heavy enough now. (via SMS)
snow report
@thefatcontroller, nice
snow conditions
Still snowing in 2000. Loots like quite a bit has fallen. Boarding me thinks today. (via SMS)
snow report
Arc 2000 at 7.33am. Still snowing and quite misty. I would say at least 20cm fallen.

ski holidays
So pleased for you guys out or going out. Half way up the A6 at the moment.
latest report
Boarded from 2000 down to 1600. Snow good. Legs not in gear yet. Misty but for end March great conditions and more snow forecast during week. Quick coffee and then have a crack at Mont Blanc, the run not the mountain that is (via SMS)
ski holidays
@thefatcontroller, excellent save some for next week
ski holidays
Boris wrote:
@thefatcontroller, excellent save some for next week

+1
We should be there this time next week too
snow report
Mm... busted propshaft, hotel in Dijon . Not a great end to the week.
latest report
In Arpette having lunch. Boarded over to 1600, did Mont Blanc(glorious), up cachette, then to Areptte, boarded over to mid station transarc then plagnettes back down to Bois, up that and back to Arpette. Snow is fabulous even down to 1600, a little soft just at 1600 but nothing to worry about. Last few runs were tough as I was starving and that over took my brain. Rarely get hungry as I just eat all the time but had a few tumbles as mind was distracted. 1st morning mistake of not packing some chocolate in back pack. Now what to do......decisions, decisions. (via SMS)
ski holidays
@allanm, ouch.

@thefatcontroller, sounds great - but please tell me it will last another 4 weeks - we're not there until 4th April!
snow report
@thefatcontroller, Well jealous of the new snow, have fun.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

busted propshaft, hotel in Dijon

Ouch. Sad
snow report
Not much else to add today, after lunch went down to 1800, sun was out and conditions getting very spring like. Back into the bowl and then home. Very tired, long day yesterday and boarding is a killer. Much prefer boarding (in the right conditions) but christ it is tiring. The one bit of boarding I really struggle with is the lack of peripheral vision. If with someone its quite hard to keep an eye out for them, you need to concentrate. Took my eye of my run today just to see where the wife was, caught an edge and got myself a sore back and elbow.

Anyway bed beckons, my new gps app is telling me our apartment is at 7,035 feet, altitude is hard work.

Tomorrow I will post pictures of sunshine.... Toofy Grin
snow report
@thefatcontroller, It looks as if the normal equinox storms have started. Long may they continue.
latest report
Not much to report, sun shining and expected to shine all day. enjoy work y'all
latest report
@thefatcontroller,
Quote:
enjoy work y'all

I'm counting the days down, save some snow for us all out next week Smile

Thanks for photos, keep them coming.
ski holidays
A very sunny Arc 2000 this morning. Skis serviced of out shortly ( said it before but if you own your own kit youve got to learn to service them, especially boards, flat bits ain't so flat with the correct wax)

latest report
Off to Arc 1600 next week after 2 years off the snow (how did that happen!) - looking good, can't wait! Serviced the skis and boards on Saturday... and I still can't decide whether to take board as well as skis. Last time I boarded I swore not to ever bother again, but last time I was at Les Arcs I was boarding and it was lovely wink
ski holidays
@Jon_b, The weather forecast for next week looks very warm and wet so expect a fair amount of slush. The only time I thought a board really scored over skis was in slush.

ps where are you staying in 1600?
ski holidays
Yes - it was similar conditions last time we were there, which is why I was considering it! Staying in Courbaton Village
latest report
@Jon_b, I have walked through Courbaton many times during the summer and it looks beautiful - if a tad quiet. It has been decades since the lift from Courbaton closed so how do you get to the skiing - do you go down to the mid station on the funicular, walk, catch a bus or what? I would really like to know what it is like.
latest report
@johnE, I prefer the forecasts over on the weather thread for a cool down
snow report
@johnE Funnily enough I was just trying to suss that out! There's a free shuttle bus in the morning apparently (organised by Courbaton Village), so I'll have to suss out the timings for that. We've got cars if need be - and also a non-skiing driver (my dad), so if the worst comes to the worst I'll persuade him to give us a lift (my car at least will fit us and all skis in or on). I could drive and park at 1600, but that seems a faff, especially as it looks like we might be able to ski back (if there's any snow on the path below 1600). From what I've read the mid-station funicular is a bit of a lottery (as to whether it stops there or not), so might be one to try when we're not in a hurry!

I've managed to make things complicated by arriving late on the Saturday, but having to get the kids' hire kit sorted out (although it is booked) before their lessons start Sunday morning. As long as I get those logistics sorted I'll be happy wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy