Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Hope the snow arrives for those heading out! I'll be watching the webcams and perhaps skiing the mole hills here in Belgium, looking at the local forecast Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Been very busy the last few days as the photos will show. Have done quite a few off piste routes on both the Les Arcs side and the La Plagne side.

The approx 5cm of fresh snow during the past 24hrs on most pistes has made the whole area much better, BUT the winds have also been quite strong and this has created some very hard packed and icy patches on some slopes. Getting back down to the Vanoise Express from above Les Coches on piste was quite tricky in many places due to hard packed icy snow.

Everyone needs to limit their speed and make sure they have good control to avoid collisions.Most pistes are starting to become busy again.

The top of both glacier areas are ok, but still need more snow to remain in good condition. You can ride down to all stations right now and the roads were clear when I returned home earlier this evening.!

The off piste has a good layer of powder (5cm to 10cms) depending on where you measure the depth. Be careful as you can still drop through onto rocks in many places.

Overall, although there are mamy good spots to go riding. You need to take great care! The coming strom that is predicted for the next few days should improve all pistes and off piste areas a great deal.

Photos from the last few days will slowly be uploaded so please keep an eye on the Jan 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Today we had a nice bonus! It was supposed to be getting worse as the day went on, but in fact we finished with good light and even a bit of blue sky!

Some of us met at the bottom of vagere and after a little chat, headed over to the Bellecote bowl via the easy way through the cliffs off the Roche de mio.

Then we made a lap around the bowl and were able to find some nice fresh tracks in a mix of soft and cruddy snow. Not the perfect snow I had hoped for, but still ok.

As we went back up the chair the wind increased, the clouds came down and a dark sky covered everything. After another chat! our weather man said the clouds would soon engulf us! Some headed back up the Gondola to the top of the Roche and home whilst a few of us continued up to the Bellecote traverse chair. They had already closed the Glacier chair, but the chair we needed was still open so we headed further up in what became a white out up top and then had another chat!!!

Time for a tough call! Head for home the easy way or continue onto the Bellecote and maybe the North Face or the Frilon Bowl. Either way would be hard, but hey, life needs to give you a few challenges sometimes.

We continued into the white obis hoping we could see a little!

What a good choice. As we came round to the edge of the North Face the clouds moved up a little and we could see the whole way down. It looked well tracked and not that great after the high winds so turned towards the Frilon Bowl instead.

After a traverse in poor light we arrived at the entry point and the light came back, the clouds lifted and we could see a meadow of untracked snow below us all the way to the bushes below. Result! Time for some more fresh tracks

To see what the rest of this trip was like, take a look at the photos tomorrow after I have posted them. Still got loads to catch up!

Another fun trip down with an easier exit through the jungle at the bottom than our last time down this route. Thanks mate for the advice about the summer path! You were right!

Tomorrow the storms are supposed to arrive! We shall have to wait and see. For anyone wanting to join us for a bit of a ride in we hope fresh snow. We will meet at the bottom of the Vagere chair at 9.30am. Bring your arvi kit if you want to come ride with us! It will be a fast ski weather permitting!

Hope to see a few others again tomorrow!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thanks @trusz, if we see you we've been sleeping too long!! on the 1920 chunnel with the view of getting down in time for breakfast and getting a full ski in on the Saturday. I'll pm you my contact details
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sorry to hijack a weather thread but I really need some Les a Arcs / Bourg St Maurice advice. I'm pretty sure I've done something to my Achilles' tendon. I can ski on it for now but really need to see a physio ASAP. Of course I was just in Val D where I saw signs for physios everywhere Confused

I'm staying in Bourg so someone there would be good but I could manage to see someone in Les Arcs as well.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Raven wrote:
Sorry to hijack a weather thread but I really need some Les a Arcs / Bourg St Maurice advice. I'm pretty sure I've done something to my Achilles' tendon. I can ski on it for now but really need to see a physio ASAP. Of course I was just in Val D where I saw signs for physios everywhere Confused

I'm staying in Bourg so someone there would be good but I could manage to see someone in Les Arcs as well.

Try http://www.ski-physio.com - I used them in Val d'Isere last year and they were very good. They cover 8 resorts including Les Arcs.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cams and reports are showing the dump has started to arrive and snowing all the way to Chambery.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
live from1950 ( sorry I ve been offnet for the early part of the week. Its been snowing since 11:30 last night, and seems set to continue. R les Arcs is predicting a metre by the end of Friday night. The wind has dropped now, but it has been blowing a fine powder all around. All links in an out of the 2000 bowl are closed, - only open lift is Marmotte so we're going to head over the Rhonaz drag and villaroger in a few minutes.

( For those who like past news - the 15 cm on Tuesday were superb and we got frist tracks off Arcabulle - we'd done 3 decents before 10am. Resort is busy, but no huge queues - other than the vanoise yesterday - I think everyone had reaslied it was likely to be the last opportunity to use their Discovery passes - there were a full complement of skiers waiting on the gantry, and twice as many being held back at the turnstiles. We chose to give it a miss - there was grt poweder all over les Arcs, we didn't need to wait an hour... )

Will update later on how things are really out there, but it is looking very good!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
An update.
For my younger readers, there is a reason why those more mature don't use the word "awesome" or " epic" in every sentence. It's so we can save it for days like these.

We've come in early because, well, frankly, we're knackered.

It's now 3pm here, and has been snowing continuously since 11:30 pm last night. And doesn't give any appearance of stopping. We got over to Villaroger, slightly concerned that they had directed people to Rhonaz from the bottom of Bois de LOurs - sharing our little secret, how dare they? Fortunately not many had taken it seriously, indeed not many seem to have got outcof bed, and the powder over there, was yes, epic. Genuine knee deep on the piste. So we lapped PLan de Violletes ( Droset lift also closed). On one occasion, I lost a pole - simply couldn't find it in the powder after a rather closer encounter with said white stuff than planned - fortunately some very nice person came across it, and after borrowing a bent one from Solliet for the rest of the way down, I was able to pick it up next time round. Thank you to however you are, and thank you to Solliet.

After a very pleasant lunch stop over there, and anotherr run, we then made the mistake of thinking that the conditions in the 2000bowl were going to be similar, maybe even opening Arcabulle - unfortunately not- windy, very cold, poor visibilit outside of the trees, not at all pleasant. Yet despite only Marmottes St Jacques and Pre St Esprit open very few people had ventureed out. I wonder why.

So: minus 6 degrees, can barely see you hand in front of your face for snow, only mad dogs and englishmen out.... what a freakin' perfect day. And it looks like it will all kick off again tomorrow. Now that's Awesome.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Glad you had a good day @Arctic Roll, it was certainly snowy out there!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.

NIce bit of fresh snow overnight! Still snowing here in Plan Peisey:sH:
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
35 hours and still snowing. Off to Villaroger again tody only Marmottes open in 2000
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Also over at Villaroger. Nice warm up when Rhonaz broke down resulting in a mass hill walk. I presume it was fixed before too long. Very impressed at the ESF instructor getting a sit ski up the hill.

Broken Lift by -crewlie-
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Arctic Roll, Envy!!! Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crewlie, Sympathy!!! Sad
ski holidays
Hi folks. Time for an update. In the last two days about 40cm of fresh snow has fallen in the valley around Bourg and it is still snowing now right outside at 800m.

Up the mountain there has been about the same amount, but with wind drifts it is a lot more in places.

If you are driving out this weekend YOU WILL need snow chains/winter tyres or they may not let you up the mountain. I have just heard the roads are quite bad even down to Moutier so please all take care driving. I saw a few bashed cars tonight on the way home.

For all of those coming to ski or snowboard you are in for a great time. Although none of the higher lifts or links across to the Arc 2000 bowl have been open for the past two days. There are still loads of places to ride and you can even get down to Bourg without any problem (we did it this morning).

The pistes are now mostly in a good condition. You can get to all stations (need bus to connect with Arc 2000/1950 last two days), but some of the busy places are still getting warn down quickly as the crowds are starting to arrive.

The vis has been quite bad at times, but the fresh powder even on the pistes makes it really fun despite not being able to see that much.

The off piste in the forests is amazing. Even if you drop through onto a few rocks or hit a few small trees (ouch, I did that) or even get your skis caught under the odd branch (yes I did that as well) it is all still great fun and riding from one snow pillow to another makes a real change to avoiding rocks and bare patches.

They say it will keep snowing for the next few days so we should finally have a nice base everywhere.

One word of warning. Do be careful off piste on any steeper slopes. The snow is not bonded very well and you need to know the areas or take a guide to stay safe. It was level 4 today so we did not do anything very steep, but going all the way down to Bourg with first tracks on the 'hidden piste' was good. Even had a little ski on the road. Did not need to take the skis off unless you wanted to be very careful not to scratch them.

For anyone coming out. You are in for a great time. Happy Holidays! Hope the lift queues will not be to bad!

The photos for the last few days will be posted shortly. Take a look and see what conditions are like. Enjoy!
snow report
Sorry for using the word awesome again, but when you consider the winter we have been having until now, today was another awesome day!

Fresh untracked powder in most places and blue sky at the start of the day, although it did not last.

After a little off piste on the way to the Vanoise Express first thing in the morning to warm us up we headed over to La Plagne and an easy route down to the bottom of the Bauches Chair followed by a fast run over to the top of the Roche de Mio.

Another excellent run down in more fresh untracked powder back to the Bauches Chair once more. Thank god we did not go the steep way as we watched a big avalanche come down, set off by three skiers, on one of the steep couloirs (very stupid of them to be doing that route today!), nobody was hurt, but I think they were lucky!

By the time we reached the top of the chair the clouds were back and flat light had returned. Time to head for the trees above Les Coches. Made three runs down various routes in the trees before heading for home with tired legs. I managed to stand on a snow bridge and sank well above my waist and had to climb out. Not nice! Sorry no photo of this!

The pistes everywhere today were much better, but still do have hard packed and icy patches in places later in the day so be careful. The bumps in the flat light, even on the blue runs are quite hard to see. Watch out or they might catch you out!

After another great day, had a few beers and a nice dinner at the Petit Saint Bernard down the valley to round off the evening!

It is snowing in the valley right now and the roads although passable look quite slippy so I guess you will need snow chains if you are driving out right now.

I shall post the photos of today shortly in the Jan 2015 album on my Les Arcs Winter page so scroll towards the end to see them.

Remember to stop by Polaire Star ski and snowboard rental shop at the bottom of the Funicular if you are passing through Bourg or using the train. They also have many of the important ski things you might have forgotten, lost or broken.

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow conditions
Anyone travelling to Bourg and beyond today stock up with water and snacks. The roads are snowy between Annecy and the ski resorts. Well over 3 hours from Arcs2000 to Annecy. (via SMS)
snow conditions
Have great week everyone. Home last night after what snowcrazy Chris rightly describes as an awesome end to a great week. Bluebird day on Wed setting almost first tracks from Aiguille Rouge all the way down into Villager then two days of deep stuff everywhere you looked. Yeah, the visitors was wick up in 2000, but everywhere from 1600 across to Peisey in and through the trees was superb. Haven't skied as hard on days 5 & 6 for years, but thoroughly enjoyed every last second. So jealous of you guys out there this week. Stay safe & have fun!!!
CW
snowHead
snow report
Yes, I think I peaked to early calling Thursday awesome. Friday was awesomer, and Saturday awesomist. I've never skied the powder quite so deep.

What was interesting was the quality of the stuff from the top of Arcabulle was considerably lighter and fluffier than that over in 1800. Skiing Fond Blanc, and then down to Clochert found us deciding to go straight back over - I guess we were spoiled!

Look like there was another 10 - 15cm up high through end of Saturday - possibly even more (it was tanking down in Albertville when we were through there on the train Saturday night)

Home now, dreaming of getting back in 9 weeks...

AR
snow conditions
I've been lurking on here for some time, so hello all.

My first experience of skiing was 12 years ago in Les Arcs where following a 1 hour lesson I spent a few days trying to ski with a local family whose 8 year old was skiing backwards down the slope trying to encourage me, I'm too thick skinned to be embarrassed. After too many years of not skiing (a result of circumstances rather than design as I did love it) I came back 2 years ago with some French friends and have had a week in 1950 each February.

I'm very much a piste skier of questionable quality but I thought I'd comment on the conditions today. It snowed lightly much of the day and I would guess there was perhaps 10-12cm of fresh snow in the last 24 hours, piste conditions were great with a covering of powder over a firm base. There were occasional icy patches in the runs into resort but these patches were very much the exception. Visibility wasn't great at times and wind closed the Arpette lift in the afternoon which made the Transarc busier than normal for a return back into the bowl but all in all given the conditions today I think I've been very lucky in choosing this week for a holiday.
latest report
Welcome aboard and thanks for the report !
ski holidays
[quote="Raven"]Sorry to hijack a weather thread but I really need some Les a Arcs / Bourg St Maurice advice. I'm pretty sure I've done something to my Achilles' tendon. I can ski on it for now but really need to see a physio ASAP. Of course I was just in Val D where I saw signs for physios everywhere Confused

I'm staying in Bourg so someone there would be good but I could manage to see someone in Les Arcs as well.[/quote]

Just back from Arc 2000 yesterday and a number of our party used www.ski-massage.com to work on weary limbs.

The person covering les Arcs for them is called Summer & is a trained physio so may be able to help you out.

Best of luck with the injury

CW
Happy
snow report
Some great snow to be had in Les Arcs today, but very cold and the avalanche lemming effect was scary to behold...
Avalanche risk 4, slab releases from the PIDA clearly visible from the Grand Col chair, yet we witnessed 3 skier-triggered avalanches in the space of 8 minutes on the slopes a hundred metres or so along from the older slides (skiers left of Grand Col). First guy taken a good 70/80 metres but seemed to walk (limp) away, second was an instructor from a local ski school (wearing red) with his group, and the third was directly above a group side-stepping out.
And still the skiers kept pouring out onto those slopes in their droves!
Its not rocket science folks... (maybe Munters recent comments about Darwin coming back into fashion were right!)
ski holidays
'Acquaintance' of mine was dug out of an avalanche in courchevel‬ by his colleague yesterday. Don't know all the facts but I think one of his arms was 'showing'.
snow conditions
@allanm, this one? http://www.ledauphine.com/faits-divers/2015/02/02/deux-personnes-ensevelies-secourues

I don't quite understand the mentality at play (talking generally, not about your acquaintance...) - it was already widely known to be a 'twitchy' start to the winter snowpack-wise, with quite a few incidents/deaths before the big snowfalls happened. Now we have had rapid loading on top of an obviously unstable snowpack and people are charging about like kids in a candy store.
snow conditions
@offpisteskiing, Yes, I chose my words carefully, not guys I would trust on snow skis. It would appear that the article cited exactly fits the bill of what happened to them.

But... I think a stark reminder of what can happen, especially to the inexperienced who may have a "It will be alright - won't happen to me" attitude.

There's no doubt at all that the heavy fall recently on top of dubious layers needs utmost caution.
ski holidays
I see that Malgovert (1600) and Combe (Vallandry) are both open today... first time..?? Both are Must do's.... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And a couple of pictures from Tues/Weds:

Lemmings (part 1):

Look closely for the 2 figures bottom right of shot...

Lemmings (part 2):

While the first guy is still dusting himself down...

Lemmings (part 3):

Meanwhile, there was some nice (and much safer) snow to be skied elsewhere:

snow conditions
offpisteskiing wrote:
yet we witnessed 3 skier-triggered avalanches in the space of 8 minutes on the slopes a hundred metres or so along from the older slides (skiers left of Grand Col). First guy taken a good 70/80 metres but seemed to walk (limp) away, second was an instructor from a local ski school (wearing red) with his group

funny you mention ski schools, this guy thinks ski instructors should always be carrying avalanche kit off piste, even if the skiing is safe (as it probably is in the photo in the article), as they are setting an example. It is an interesting point:-

http://pistehors.com/red-card-for-imprudent-ski-instructors-23720269.htm

I've seen instructors teaching off piste but in low angle areas without any gear, they do it a lot with kids. I'm not totally convinced they should be wearing gear in those cases but perhaps in the current circumstances.
ski holidays
@davidof, I'm not convinced they need to carry gear in low angle terrain, provided they talk to their clients about why they have selected that terrain and why they are happy to ski there without avy gear (personally or for their clients). I have taken clients in to some "introductory off piste" terrain without them or me wearing avalanche kit, but I always will take to them about why I was happy to ski that terrain in that way (slope angle, no exposure above the slope, etc). Depending on conditions and the ability level of the group I'm teaching I will also spend a bit of time during the week talking about snowpack issues, pointing out various things while skiing on piste. I think it's good to introduce clients to some of the important factors when they are just beginning to think about dipping off the side of the piste, and if I were teaching this week I'd make a point of talking about high risk levels and how that would affect my decisions about where I would ski.
snow conditions
You guys muddying the waters rolling eyes wink snowHead
snow conditions
Interesting photos and comments. Yes, the Grand Col area on the skiers left and right of the pistes are known to avalanche after heavy loading of snow. That is why we always where our safety kit when riding these areas after new snow. Best as others have said to keep to the easy angled slopes and give the snow time to bond. Having said that, these areas will always be skied out very quickly by those coming from the pistes and taking the risk as they are very easy to get to and can be seen from the lift.

We do carry our gear even on low angled terrain most of the time, more from habit that because it may be needed. But then better to be safe than sorry. If you have it you should wear it!

Regarding setting an example. I agree that those being paid to teach 'Off piste' skills away from a piste should always make sure everyone has the kit and set the RIGHT example. When right beside the piste on low angled very safe slopes or as in Les Arcs where there are many 'piste nature' avalanche protected areas. Safety Gear is not always needed, but it is really important to explain the need for safety gear in other areas. Train them when they are young so as they get older they might be careful it is hoped.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sat 7-02-15 9:14; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
NOW for an update about LES ARCS!! before I hit the slopes. The forecast is for sun with plenty of fresh snow to still play in after the recent snowfalls.

For anyone coming out you are in for a great time as the holidays approach! Nice to be able to say that after the start to the season we have had. The roads are OK in the valley and up the mountain although busy, but you may need chains or winter tyres on the side roads in the ski station if you need to use them.

The pistes are reported to be in good conditions although hard packed in places and well moguled on some piste natures. Fun for those that like them. Everywhere should be open during the coming week unless avalanche protection is taking place.

The forecast is for sunshine higher up so if you are in the valley do not be put off by the clouds. It should be good up top!

You can still get down to Bourg, just about without hurting your skis or snowboard.so have a try, but remember there is NO piste from the mid station, only a footpath in places.

I shall post some more photos tonight of the cool riding we have been doing earlier in the week.

If you are coming out to Les Arcs, today or during the next weeks remember to check out Polaire Star Ski abnd Snowboard rental shop at the bottom of the Funicular in Bourg. They have some great new all mountain skis for rental this season. Best to book online in advance if you can!

Have a good holiday.

http://www.polairestar.com/
latest report
For all you off piste riders. I just heard about the avalanche on the canadian couloir. Very sad indeed. The Canadain Couloir must have been very loaded after all that snow. Really bad news. Stay safe out there everyone! For any more details please go to the La Plagne thread.
snow report
^^

http://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2015/02/07/la-plagne-trois-moniteurs-emportes-par-une-avalanche

I suspect that's the way it is at the moment though, a meter of snow on top of 'suspect' base.

My heart goes out to all involved, puts a shiver down my spine.
latest report
Video of a recent controller avalanche in Arc 2000 bowl.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=1011094315584559
snow report
Nice video. Just been told snow in resort is holding up well in most areas as the busy period arrives. Hope to hear more from those just arrived tomorrow after riding.

Anyone coming out right now. It is still ok down to the mid station of the funi. You can make it to Bourg just, but mind your skis.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
funny you mention ski schools, this guy thinks ski instructors should always be carrying avalanche kit off piste, even if the skiing is safe (as it probably is in the photo in the article), as they are setting an example. It is an interesting point:-

http://pistehors.com/red-card-for-imprudent-ski-instructors-23720269.htm

I've seen instructors teaching off piste but in low angle areas without any gear, they do it a lot with kids. I'm not totally convinced they should be wearing gear in those cases but perhaps in the current circumstances.

I think ski instructors should be banned from carrying avi gear if their clients don't have it. (Or at least, their beacon should only be able to receive, not transmit.) A few years ago in snowmageddon circumstances in St Anton (2m in a week) I had a lesson with an instructor who was wearing a airbag ("Zere iss so much snow zat I am safer"). These days I'd make him disable it if he wanted to teach me.
latest report
@James the Last, If two of you got caught, wouldn't it be better if one was able to dig the other out Puzzled
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy