Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Ricklovesthepowder, next time make speed the priority.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Filthyphil30k, lol. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
More fresh tracks and some good snow today, but also very mixed conditions.

First thing this morning a group of us headed to Arc 1800 and once we all got together went to the Vanoise Express and across to the La Plagne side..

After an easy ski down to Bellecote La Pagne and up the Blanchette chair we split up and some of us headed to Roche de Mio, down through the cliffs and into the Bellecote bowl, much easier than it sounds!

Managed to find some interesting ski routes with a mix of untracked soft snow. Patches of firm snow and also breakable crust, yuk!

After a couple of laps of the bowl we dropped over onto the Petit North Face of the Bellecote and down to the bus. Very mixed conditions again with good snow at the top, then becoming more challenging with a difficult exit down the river valley with plenty of rocks and scrubs to catch you out!

Finally made a little off piste route down through the trees to the Derby chair in Les Arcs and a quick ski to the 'big drop' before having a few well earned beers back in Arc 1800.

A fun day, but the conditions are becoming more challenging off piste and harder to find good snow! Did not ski many pistes today, but those we did use seemed ok although quite hard packed in places.

The photos of today will be posted in the Jan 2015 Album of my Les Arcs Winter facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

Am heading back to Italy to find fresh powder tomorrow I hope. My next update for Les Arcs will be on Sunday evening.

For anyone interested in joining us this Sunday. We will meet at the top of Vagere Chair at 9.50 on Sunday morning. Please bring your arvi gear if you want to join us off piste. Hope to see you!

For anyone arriving by train or passing through Bourg this weekend, remember to book your ski or snowboard rental at Polaire Star Ski and Snowboard Shop by the bottom of the Funicular in Bourg. They also do great ski and snowboard repairs.

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^ Yes, when you mentioned bellcotte yesterday, I did wonder about the exit lower down, I suspect it was a relief to get to the Cheval (;>)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Ahh, Bellette

A brilliant carving piste
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hi all.

Got a trip to les arcs (1800) booked for the 21/02 to 28/02 and have a car booked for us to drive from Geneva. What's the deal with parking and what typically are the prices?

We're staying in "Appartement Grand Arbois" if that helps...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Austingeorge, A couple of years ago, we unloaded in 1800, then moved the car to 1600 for the week, where it was free. Got the bus back. Don't know if 1600 is still free.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ringingmaster wrote:
@Austingeorge, A couple of years ago, we unloaded in 1800, then moved the car to 1600 for the week, where it was free. Got the bus back. Don't know if 1600 is still free.

Cheers Stephen. I've seen a few parking spots marked on the town map for 1800, but didn't know if they were free. I'll have a look at 1600 and see if there's any on there.

By the way, you didn't happen to work in Loughborough a few years ago did you? I recognise your name and location.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It can be hard for even people staying in 1600 to find somewhere to park. You may have to go up the road to 2000 a bit, to the Courborton turn or UCPA. Otherwise I think it is about 80 euro for a week at 1800
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quick trailer of the La Plagne/Les Arcs trip - had a muck about on the GoPro Editor last night - More to follow.

http://youtube.com/v/_-RocM81ARE&feature=youtu.be
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Please can someone recommend somewhere good to eat in Les Arc? Table service and good food etc?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ricklovesthepowder, You could try Chalet de l'Arcelle, but it would help if you defined "good"
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@johnE, good quality food not mass produced mountain mush. Pizza, plate de jour, burgers, steak etc roughly for €15-18 for a meal excluding drinks etc. we went to one yesterday that was a self service but cooked fresh thing. Totally crap.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Where abouts in Les Arc are you staying?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@johnE, I'm staying in les Coches. This is for lunch time tomorrow. The crap one yesterday was under the marmotte chair lift.
ski holidays
^^ Two for starters.... La Ferme on the way down to Villaroger or the one at the bottom of Comborsier lift - forgotten it's name, both (were) 'good' IMV.
latest report
OK let's recommend for lunch since plat du jour is not on evening menus. I almost always have a plat du jour for lunch

Parenthese in 1800 IIRC a 3 course meal is about 14 euro
Cairn, panoramic and arquebuse in 1600 - plat du jour about 13 or 14 euro
Chalet de l'Arcelle is too expensive

Cordee in Valandry

I'm not a expert on 2000 but ski down to the pre st espirit for lunch

Other people have other favorites.
snow report
^^ La vache in Vallandry
latest report
@Arctic Roll,
See ya Sunday Smile
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, my favourites are:
- Le Sauget, just above Montchavin;
- Le Chalet du Friolin, bottom of the Bauches chair;
- Blanche Muree, just down from the mid-station of the Transarc by the Rêches piste.
snow conditions
AsterixTG wrote:
Quick trailer of the La Plagne/Les Arcs trip - had a muck about on the GoPro Editor last night - More to follow.

Those skis look familiar! Wink
snow report
Light snow falling in 1600 tonight
snow conditions
According to Bergfex it will snow all week then over 60cm on Thursday, Friday and Saturday next week - if this does not change happy days snowHead
latest report
Jez, been away a few days and not back for 8 weeks so trying not to distract myself with snowfall and webcams but just looked and next weekend looking apocalyptic Cool Toofy Grin
latest report
timlongs wrote:
AsterixTG wrote:

Yes, they would! They were alright to be fair. They enjoyed being worked.
snow conditions
AsterixTG wrote:
timlongs wrote:
AsterixTG wrote:

Yes, they would! They were alright to be fair. They enjoyed being worked.

Yep really gotta ski them hard to get the best out of them.

Anyway had a great few hours up the hill today, that little snow flurry last night freshened things up in places. Had some fun hooning down and finding a few bits of fresh under the Varet and up Grand Col.

Bring on the mega snow!
ski holidays
Passing thru Annacy on way to LA and it's honking it down😃😃
latest report
Just off to bed and there is a very light dusting of snow down to Bourg right now and if it keeps going we should have a fun day tomorrow. More to follow later! If you are driving out, you may need chains to get up the mountain if this snow does continue tonight.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@AsterixTG, good choice of music!
snow conditions
So, all the good weather is arriving after my 2-week stint in the first 14 days of January.... Mad
Hmmm, I'm going to have to go back later in the season.
snow report
Great first day in Les Arcs today. It's been snowing on and off for a lot of the day - mainly light but I'm sure it's all helping! Snow cannons on too, and further top-ups forecast. This is only my third week of skiing so on-piste blues/reds only, but from that perspective have been very happy with the conditions in most places - lovely fresh layer of snow on some pistes. A few little stones visible here and there on others, but nothing really bad. Worked our way up from 1600, spent some time above L'Arpette, then over towards Vallandry and back - great area, that (agree with comments earlier in thread that Belette red is brilliant!). Worst run if I'm remembering correctly was Reches red - very scraped/icy and also busy so slight carnage and a bit stressful! All in all, had a fantastic day - much fun to be had snowHead
ski holidays
@catclaires,
Quote:

Worst run if I'm remembering correctly was Reches red - very scraped/icy and also busy so slight carnage and a bit stressful!

This used to be a black and was regraded a few years ago, but apart from a snow cannon at the top I cannot really see what changed
latest report
Reches, did that on our boards 2 weeks ago. Loathe it on skis, loathe it more on a board.
latest report
Crazy day today. Woke up to a very light dusting of snow in the garden so hoped for much more up top. Did not happen! Only about 3cm to maybe 5cm max in some places, but better than nothing.

Went up and met with friends after a slight change of plans at the top of the Arpette Chair. Anyone coming tomorrow (Monday), this is the meeting point at 9.50am or as near to that time as I can get there as the Funi seemed to be running slow today. Just wait in the sunshine for a few extra minutes if needed. Remember to bring your arvi gear.

A few of us with gear headed off piste down to the Lac piste through the gully. Very Nice.

Then up the Aiguille Rouge and two laps of the back route into the National Park for me with one mishap. We got back together for a late lunch at Malees then headed up Bois de l'ours and down the couloir and through the trees (ouch for me, trees hurt) to the Comborciere Chair and a run through Malgovert in more good snow before heading for home.

The pistes in Les Arcs seemed to be holding up well. The Millie 8 area is now open for late skiing until 9pm most evenings. The boardercross and snowpark are coming along well and the sledge run in Arc 2000 is now open.

The small amount of fresh snow has helped and everywhere looked very nice today. Down in the valley tonight the snow has gone, but more is forecast for the next few days.

Sorry, but I must post todays photos tomorrow as it is already late. More to come tomorrow!
ski holidays
If you needed boots punching (don't mock!) - anywhere in 2000 or 1950 people have experience of? (or where to avoid)
Thanks folks - still drifting down slowly in 2000 - been doing so all day. Every little helps.
snow report
How's it looking out there now? Getting really excited to start the drive down on Friday night!
latest report
@trusz,
Mix of a little sun & quite a few clouds today - but vis not bad. Probably had 4 or 5 cm yesterday pm & night in 2000.
Still patches of ice on pistes between 2000 & 1950, but higher up much better. Sun forecast for tomorrow then . .. we shall see . . . need the forecast 'dump' in order to make it less inconsistent. Sometimes a little nerve-wracking not knowing if there's a stretch of ice round the corner. Some probably like the challenge - me, I enjoy snow. Incidentally lad in Intersport 2000 did a good job punching out one of the boots that was pinching. 10euros - worth it for the relief!
snow report
Megadump Forecast!

Snow Forecast predicts 1.5M over 5 days - clicky here

It's gonna be cold though!
snow report
@trusz,
I'm driving down Friday night too Smile look out for a silver Vivario although it probably looks like all the others

really looking forward to having some play time in the snow. I should be doing work admin although the webcams are much more interesting! snowHead
snow report
It's looking promising! I've been practicing putting the chains on ready. Might have to get a decent face mask looking at those temps.

@hethbum

Great stuff! I'll be getting the 03:50 chunnel Shocked With a good run down, hoping to get to 1950 by late afternoon.

Honk at any red golf with a black roof box.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy