Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
@Mitchell, Ah yes. Embarassed Georges.

@Ricklovesthepowder, known colloquially as "The Mushroom", it sits in the 2000 valley just above the Arcabulle lift. You can 'just' get to it from the top of Marmottes as long as you look both ways and time a good run down the off-piste to the left of the Marmottes ramp towards the Arcabulle, before crossing the Vallee de l'Arc piste. If there are hordes descending and you need to stop, then it's a minor pole.
Otherwise, off any of the 3 reds or blue from Arcabulle can get to it, or Arondlieres from the Varet. Or... if you are out with Snowcrazy there's off piste routes too!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
First day in Paradiski today, where do you usually find moguls around Les Arcs and La Plagne? Are there any about?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@VolklAttivaS5, A few to be going on with:

in the 2000 bowl underneath Varet is Lanches - if open, or the red from Arcabulle (Tuffes) is usually left heavily mogulled. Big boys toys on Refuge, from the Grand Col lift.

Fond Blanc from Arpette back towards 1600 can be a doozy, (as can Clair Blanc - cough...red... not) and the bottom half of Rouelles is often unpisted.

Les Bosses - the clue is in the name - between 1800 and Plan Peisey is either a total pisted pussycat, or an icy knee trembler.

Combourciere, hard work, but ultimately satisfying, Malgovert: cannot be described, needs to be experienced.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 19-01-15 16:19; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Flippin 'eck it's icy this afternoon. Almost did the splits on the Plan des Eaux Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Arctic Roll, Bois de L'ours.........................
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thefatcontroller, ... it's nice, I grant you, but contend it's not often a really good mogul field. Not like Lanches anyway!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Bois de l'Ours was closed today , too icy. Tuffes is open though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mitchell, @Arctic Roll, is right you do have to take your skis off to visit the eateries I have mentioned. Rocky (I cannot recall the proper name but it is something like rocky mountain) is down the stairs at the bottom of the Combettes lift. This walk is about as far as the walk across the decking at the Arpette restaurant. () is down a longer set of stairs just below the Transarc and the Cairn is 1 or 2 hundred metres from the Cachette lift.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@VolklAttivaS5, Almost all pistes marked "natur" will have moguls as will Combourciere, Fond Blanc and Roulles. In fact Combourciere tends to have the best. Some of the reds also have quite interesting mogul fields. The top of Trolles can be particularly interesting the little gully of Lac and the LHS of Cachette can also develop moguls. I am not sure why the top of the red, Clair Blanc, is not marked as Natur since it is never pisted
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
All good information thanks Smile
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@johnE, Clair Blanc is marked as 'non damee' It too is closed, as there's not enough snow cover on it.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^^ Entrance to Clair Blanc is not for the feint hearted at the best of times... dawdle once you're 'in'. Possibly the hardest entrance of any run in LA..?

Just booked accommodation for the middle of March - gonna be a long wait, but hopefully worth it. We've had some great 'end of seasons' in recent years.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
It's ok if there's a lot of snow cover and early in the day, but the entrance is gnarly. Looking to book too in March, but think I'll be waiting and watching conditions for now and booking late on. It's rather quiet here right now. There is a distinct Russian absence.

Edit: If it's just snowed a lot and it's first thing.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Waffle wrote:
Bois de l'Ours was closed today , too icy. Tuffes is open though.

Do you mean Bois de L'ours chair
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Naa, the piste off the top of the chair to the right
snow conditions
^^ With the 'easy' button lift....
ski holidays
Well all packed and ready to go. Alarm set for 4.30am. A few comment elf icy conditions today. Surely the snowfall has covered most of the ice up hasn't it?
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, It is icy on many pistes, mainly in certain places. It is patchy and you can see it. Fortunately, most people are being careful and skiing cautiously. The worst ones are the connecting runs. Marmottes and the run into 1950 at 1630 today were less than pleasant. I saw a snowboarder do a cracking 'pop tart' though which kept me laughing until I got back to the apartment. Have a great trip!
ski holidays
allanm wrote:
^^ Entrance to Clair Blanc is not for the feint hearted at the best of times... dawdle once you're 'in'. Possibly the hardest entrance of any run in LA..?

Just booked accommodation for the middle of March - gonna be a long wait, but hopefully worth it. We've had some great 'end of seasons' in recent years.

Is that the narrow mogul red off the Arpette lift? If so that was my first proper introduction to 'bumps' last year lol
snow conditions
More fun in the fresh snow today over in La Plagne although the vis was bad first thing this morning and it was cold. By mid day the light was much better and the sun even came out for a while.

Today we headed over to La Plagne and due to the poor vis went over the back of St Jacques down to La Roche. The snow was good, still light and fluffy with plenty of room to make fresh tracks all the way to the treeline. Once in the trees the snow became thin with many grassy patches and some rocks which made finding a safe route interesting. A good start to the day.

After reaching La Roches, headed up to the top of the Grande Rochette and down over the back through the off piste to the Verdon Sud chair. Back up top and this time down the off piste to the Verdon Nord chair. Up top one last time and around the ridge towards Champagny before heading off piste to the Verdon Sud chair. These routes were very mixed, with room for fresh tracks in places and some good snow. Much better than we expected.

A fast skate to the Borseliers chair and all the way up to the top of Roche de Mio. Then an different route off the top of the ridge down to the Bauches Chair which included some steep areas, powder field coming out of the coulior and another steep section finishing with a fight through the bushes (best avoided) to reach the path to the lift. Another good route with a real mix of difficulty and fresh tracks once more.

A fast ride back to the Vanoise Express and then a few forest tracks back to Arc 1800 and finally home.

A fun day again. The off piste is holding up well higher up with plenty of places to make fresh tracks if you know where to go. Lower down the snow is very mixed with the exit points proving a challenge, but worth the effort.

The pistes across the whole of the Paradiski area which we covered today are holding up well with a firm surface higher up which was easy to turn on, but watch out for the hard packed icy patches or the odd rock which might jump out to bite you. Lower down the pistes are starting to become challenging in places, but the snow canons are doing a good job of keeping them mostly in reasonable condition.

You can still reach all stations with care and if the promised snow arrives during the next few days conditions should continue to improve slowly.

If anyone wants to meet up for a bit of off piste and enjoy the spots with us, send me a PM. More to come, keep up the snow dancing everyone!

If anyone needs great ski or snowboard services go to Polaire Star ski and Snowboard rental shop at the bottom of the Funicular in Bourg. They also have a great variety of skis and snowboards for rental. Check out their webpage.

http://www.polairestar.com/

Photos ARE NOW posted in the Jan 2015 Album on the Les Arcs Winter page.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
snow report
Wish I was still out there! Work is just not the same rolling eyes

I miss the chocolate ring donuts with the chocolate filling - a rare (but frequent) treat on a snow holiday!
ski holidays
@SnowSquirrell, where did you find the best ones of these?
snow report
Keep the reports coming as not long till we are out and i can't wait.
snow report
Still good conditions. Best in the morning. Been a lovely day of sunshine and not too cold. Bit bummed, as I have fractured my scaphoid on my right hand, but am still skiing, albeit a little cautiously. Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
@Waffle, ouch. Takwe care out there.
latest report
Wind picked up today but only closed the col lift up in the 2000 bowl, pistes still pretty much in good conditions although a good but of ice appearing. Lower slopes getting thin and scraped with soil etc coming through. But overall good skiing and still some good stuff off piste if you want to hunt about. Also really quiet, haven't queued yet apart from te transarc, so the mileage is up through the roof.

Thinking of heading to La plagne tomorrow, any thoughts folks? Very Happy
latest report
@Arctic Roll, Didn't do it skiing, wasn't drunk either! If you see anyone in a red jacket refusing to use a lift with a boarder on Saturday, that'll be me!
snow report
@Llew, My favorite places was wither Wood Bear Cafe in 1950 - walk through the center and round a little more - it's on your left next to the wine bar.

Or,

To the right for the Vanoise Express in Plan Peisey is a bar (it's got cocoa-cola deck chairs if I recall correctly) that did them too.

I'm usually very strict with what I eat, but these got the better of me and I went a little mental on them.

@Waffle, Bad times. You know what they say, 'a fractured scaphoid on the slopes is better than a fractured scaphiod in the office'. Well, that's what I'm saying anyway.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anyone know of any bars in either 1950 or 2000 that will be showing the footy?
One of our group is keen to watch the Chelsea Liverpool game next week.
Thanks
ski holidays
@SnowSquirrell, Very Happy
snow report
Who says there is no untracked powder left in Les Arcs!

Take a look at the photos for today. Another route off the Aiguille Rouge into the National Park and also Par Avalanche after lunch. Both fun and nice snow from the top all the way down to the piste into Villaroger where it did become quite hard packed with some icy patches.

Tomorrow some of us are off to La Plagne and maybe the Bellecote if the weather is ok.

The pistes in Les Arcs today were all ok with snow down to all stations. Best to have good edges as the lower pistes are hard packed by the afternoon and even higher up there are some icy patches. Follow the sun and stay warm whilst the snow gets softer. The Grand Col chair stopped this afternoon due to high winds, but the Aiguille Rouge stayed open most of the time.

They say the sun might shine tomorrow. Hope so, but it would be nice for more snow!

Tonight it was time to say goodbye to some of our friends from across the globe! Hope you have a good trip home tomorrow and later in the week for those leaving on Friday. It was fun to ski with you all yesterday in La Rosiere. The kids have come on well! See some of you next season I hope.

Photos for today posted in the Jan 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy! Very Happy

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums
snow report
Hi all,

Apologies if this the wrong thread. We are agroup of 9 arriving in LA tomorrow (the 22nd), staying at the Pierre vacance in chantel for 3 nights only. Would hugely appreciate some pointers on must do's whilst we are there... Slopes, eateries, bars. Or for that matter 'don't bother doing' advice. We are mid 30's and decent intermediate skiers.

Any advice hugely appreciated. We are looking for a happy blend of skiing, eating and drinking!

Thanks in advance.
snow report
As you are staying in 1800 I would definitely recommend a vist to BarKing Mad in the Villards village, great hearty food, wonderful staff and a good place for apres or evening drinks. It's owned by two english chaps Rob and Phil. here's a link to their web site:
http://bar-kingmad.com/
latest report
Absolutely shattered!!!

Left the chalet at 9.45am and joined the bottom of Mont Blanc over in Les Coches. Short traverse and onto the Vanoise Express for a day over in Les Arc. Had a great day and snow is much better than in La Plagne, less ice and felt a lot nicer to ski on. Weather was generally good, sunny from 11am onwards. Skied lots of runs but my favourite has to be red under Derby chairlift. We went to the top of Agiluille Rouge but it was slightly overcast and snowing. Headed down but couldn't be bothered skiing all the way down to Villaroger. We headed back over the Vanoise Express to Les Coches and felt we had a few more runs in us so took the chair lift to the top of mont Blanc run. Within 200m we realised this was a mistake. On parts it was complete carnage with skiers and boarders splattered about. Really was awful, but then round the next corner lovely piste conditions. I think they will have a real issue trying to sort it out tonight, snow is needed or the snow cannons will have to be turned on, certainly cold enough. Despite the bad conditions on Mont Blanc, All in all a great day skiing.
snow report
Mitchell wrote:
Does anyone know of any bars in either 1950 or 2000 that will be showing the footy?
One of our group is keen to watch the Chelsea Liverpool game next week.
Thanks

Generally there is some sort of sport on at Luigi's or Belle Pintes in 1950. And they are friendly enough to change channels if you ask nicely!
snow report
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:

my favourite has to be red under Derby chairlift.

Ahh, Bellette - the scene of my ACL rupture a couple of years ago on Christmas Day. Plan to do it again next week, following my repair in April Toofy Grin
snow report
@genepi, literally flew down it today. I clocked 59.1mph lol
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Take it slower & admire the scenary next time wink
ski holidays
^^ How totally irresponsible!

.......... best I did (on the same piste - we had a speed gun.. back in 2011) was 89 KPH (;>). There were a few good skiers that day, none got over 100 KPH IIRC.

he he...
latest report
Put it this way, from the top of the run which is a blue, we stopped where the red starts and gunned it. Could see the whole of the run and there wasn't a single soul on it. Safety was top priority.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy