Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the info Snowcrazy (and the other posters ). I'm going solo in Ice and Fires Campanules chalet in Les Coches and I imagine I'll be heading over Les Arcs quite a bit so it's great having all those links in one place.
I have a couple of questions to put out there...

Does it take long to get over to Aiguille Rouge from Les Coches? The Bellecote /Rochu runs in La Plagne look a bit saucy too.

I've only been skiing the last 4 or 5 years (46yrs young) and really only moved up to black runs the last couple of trips but seem to be able handle myself ok. I cut my teeth properly spending a week at Argentiere last January taking Pont du View and Pylones runs from Les Grands Montets.

How do the Aiguille Rouge and Bellecote runs compare with Grand Montets difficulty wise?
I'm a little prone to allowing a puppy like enthusiasm to colour my judgement of my own competence and it would be good to get some worldly advice before finding myself stuck halfway down a couloir unable to stop crying.

Any words of wisdom will be gratefully received
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Graham Warren, Dont know about Pont du View and Pylones runs from Les Grands Montets but I was able to do the Aiguille Rouge fine when I was there in 2012, and will be back in 2015. I am a typical intermediate skier 45 years young. There was a steep part at the start from the top, but after that I have been on much harder red runs that were narrow. It is quite a long way and towards the bottom the snow might not be as good, but it is an excellent run.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meant to say I'll be out there 11th to the 18th of January if anyone wants to buddy up!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers chrisb. By the way how do you write the names of people in bold?[/b]
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obviously I just sussed it... Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Graham Warren, just going to miss you as I am out 17th to 24th. Hope you leave a bit of snow for me and the other 18 snowheads I am with that week
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just noticed you're in Newcastle! Bloody hell that's bad timing for me it would've been ace to meet up with other like minded people. Maybe next time eh.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
[quote="Graham Warren"]I'm going solo in Ice and Fires Campanules chalet in Les Coches[/quote]

Did that last year myself, Graham. Had a great week in early Feb & Campanules is great for accessing les Arcs. Just walk to the end of the car park ski down and one lift up & straight down all the way top the Vanoise Express.

As for difficulty, there's lots of choice, although I would always let discretion be the better part of valour. We had a bit of an incident with one of our party in the snowpark Sad

A useful mantra in this respect we have used when skiing with friends over 20 years is ski one run harder than you think you can every day and finish the day one run before you think you should. It's kept us all in one piece for all of those years protecting us from the dangers of over-enthusiasm & fatigue, both well known precursors to injury. There's always a nice blanc vin chaud in the wee cafe on the les coches side of teh Vanoise Express too finish the day before a nice cruise back to the car park.

A couple of hours should take you to each of the furthest extents of the area from les Coches, but just keep an eye on the clock in the afternoon. It could end up in a rather expensive taxi ride if you get stuck in the wrong resort when the lifts close. Having said that, the one place we didn't go was Bellecote. Advice from others in the chalet who did go was that it was a long way and a lot of lifts for nothing special in terms of skiing compared with the rest of the area. Of course, if there's no snow, then that's different. But no time for negativity now.

Have a great time.

CW Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks Cardweg. Good advice regards the mantra! I've been looking on YouTube and it looks like if you stick to the pistes it never gets really tough. It looks a beautiful area. Some footage shows when you take the more adventurous off piste routes you can find some special spots. I might see if any chalet mates want to get a guide/off piste tuition.
There goes the puppy-like enthusiasm again!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Graham Warren, yes only down the road, paths have a habit of crossing in the small world of the North East.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Graham Warren, The definition of "pistes" in Les Arcs can vary considerably... As above, Aigulle Rouge is a bucket list run, but after the first 50m, nothing special difficulty wise, just a real thigh burner.
Malgovert (red) on the other hand... Can't describe it, you just have to do it. But you may find yourself thinking "this is a use of the word piste with which I am unfamiliar"

And the blacks aka 'piste natur' off the front of the Aigulle can be a highlight - Genepi, Robert Blanc and the others are all definitely worth the price of admission.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Keep your fingers crossed if you take the old bubble from the Roche de mio to bellcotte, well worth the visit probably the best black/off piste area in paradiski!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks Arctic Roll and Daleskier! I'm getting a good picture of what to expect and where to go. Found a couple of youtube vids for Malgovert . Your description certainly fits!
10 long weeks to go.....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ooh, Malgovert looks like fun. How did I miss that one last year?

There was a run under, I think, the Bois de l'ours lift that looked very tasty. Any locals help me out with a name for it? Seems to be hidden behind a mountain on the piste map. Made the trek across to ski it three times during my week & it was always closed. Maybe this year...

Oh yes, and skipass now booked. Yay!!! snowHead too snowHead free
6 day Paradiski unlimited for £202 (€265.5) instead of full price £225 (€285) or £239 from operator.
BOOK BEFORE 31st Oct at http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/en/ to avail of this discount

CW snowHead
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Good point! That'll be the final expense out the way. The Ice and fire lot have a special offer on upgrading from La Plagne to full Paradiski for free if I book through them. Which I think brings it in for £190. I'll have to check later.

Have great do!
snow conditions
cardweg, unsurprisingly, it is called Bois de L'Ours. There is also Fond Blanc down that way ... which comes off the other side of the ridge back into the 1600 area, and usually has a fistful of big moguls on it.

My favourite black is Drosset which can be accessed from Lanchettes lift in 2000, and crosses over the road down to Pre St Esprit. You don't so much fall, as lean against the mountain... Or possibly Lanches, underneath the Varet lift - a sense of achievement when you've done that one.

Many people miss Malgovert because it is only accessible via Combourciere lift, which is slow (15 mins) and right at the edge of the domain. Long may it continue that way!
This is not a run for those who are just progressing from blues (as those U-tube vids show!). There is no bail out option either, but you can send friends around the newly extended Mont Blanc, to meet you where it re-joins

Ooh getting all misty eyed just thinking about it...13 weeks...
AR
ski holidays
Hi folks, remember the pre season discount for holiday ski passes finishes tomorrow unless they extend the date again this year. Also very cheap passes for the first and last weeks of the season as some lifts are not open. Hurry up and buy your pass if you want to save some money. It is normally cheaper to buy your pass direct online now than wait until in resort or using any other method.

The week pass for Les Arcs can have added days for trips over to the La plagne side when needed, but it is normally better value to either buy the Discovery pass with one day included in La plagne or buy the paradiski pass which also gives you a day in espace killy and the three valleys if you want to travel around.

The discounted winter season pass is still on sales until the end of November.

Go to the link for ski passes on the opening post for details. Hope this helps you save some money.

With all the talk about fresh snow in the alps I just spoke with a friend in resort. He says most fresh snow has now gone, even up high, but there is a light dusting in some places. Most web cams are now working so you can take a look for yourselves.

The work in Arc 1800 is progressing and they still hope to be finished on time for the season start. Hope so!

I will post more resort details as I get them. I look forward to meeting some of you again this winter and to meeting new visitors as well.

chrisb or any of those in your group, send me a pm if you fancy meeting up. I will be around that week.

Have a good winter.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Thu 30-10-14 19:30; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
@snowcrazy, I will send you a pm
snow conditions
Arctic roll. Some good tips there. I'm really looking forward to this trip now. Just had to share this link for drosset vid.
http://youtube.com/v/gAPGTAVbkAA
Gave me a little chuckle Laughing I reckon we've all been there at some point!
latest report
"F***ing Hell what is he doing" - a priceless comment
ski holidays
HAHAHA! Poor bloke.
latest report
@chrisb there's 100 of us heading out on the 17th Jan so if you see a large amount of snowboarders that's us.
ski holidays
@francium., which uni are you with? Is it another social week based in Arc 1800?
snow report
At uni I wish I was that young, it's the snowboard club uk winter bash that week.
snow report
@snowcrazy, Husband and I out that week too. Thanks for the discount info. I wouldn't have looked, unless I'd seen your post. Recharged the passes today and got 10% off and 3 free installments Very Happy
snow conditions
@francium., I will wave randomly at snowboarders and one might be you Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ha I'm hard to miss bright yellow jacket and monoxide pants, I'll be on the lookout for a skier waving at every snowboarder (although you might be mistaken for an angry frenchman).
latest report
snowcrazy wrote:
@francium., which uni are you with? Is it another social week based in Arc 1800?

I know Northumbria are out in 1800 from 12-20th of December, there is gonna be over 300 of them
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snowHead that wonderful feeling when your bank account is lighter thanks to the purchase of a lift pass. 31st jan can't come quick enough
latest report
The season lift passes arrived yesterday and the wife and I are getting excited about spending our first season in Les Arcs. Hopefully we can meet up with some of you over the course of the season.
snow report
@RobMSki,

I'd love to! I'm there between 11th and 18th of Jan. Be great to meet a real life Snowhead(s) and to get the up to date insider knowledge. wink
ski holidays
@timlongs, well at least while they are there they will not be annoying the good folk of jesmond and Heaton
ski holidays
@chrisb, What about Gosforth peeps ? Cool
latest report
@Neraida, Northumbria students can't afford to live in gosforth, except maybe south gosforth?
snow report
@chrisb, I dunno. I lived there for a few years ages ago (both my folks are Geordies) and there were lots of them back then, tho many more in the areas you mention. Now I want a stottie cake for my brekkie tomorrow, stuffed with bacon and egg
ski holidays
Blue sky and warm in the mountains today. Not exactly summer weather, but very nice for hiking. It does get cold in the evening, but all that snow which came last week has gone, but then it is only just November. Still, I was snowboarding a few weeks after this last winter. Hope the predicted cold weather and more snow arrives soon.

My advice, if you just cannot take your eyes off the weather and snow forecasts. Make a link to the web cams in Les Arcs so you can collect your own daily updates.

http://www.lesarcs.com/en/experience/webcams.html

I shall start my normal updates when I get back their in a while. Hope you all had a nice day in the sun today where ever you are.

I have also seen on the Les Arcs site that the discounted passes are on sale until 15 November. Not sure if this is correct or just something they have not changed on the web page from last year. If this information is incorrect I shall post again tomorrow after I have checked. So if you have not yet bought your lift pass for your holiday in Les Arcs or the Paradiski area. Go to this link. BUT hurry. New final date is 15 November 2014 for discounts.

http://lesarcs.paradiski.com/fr/eb-prolongation

Hope this helps with your planning.
snow report
Hi,

Does anyone what the season passes for owners will cost via APLP, proprietors of La Plagne?

Thanks
snow report
Not such a thing anymore. You must buy the edenski season pass if in La Plagne or through your owners portal, but price is the same. Just to add, if you have owners points you can get a discount on the discount I think. You need to ring then to ask.
latest report
Now that looks more like winter. The snow has arrived in Les Arcs and it looks like this time it might stay.

Take a look at the webcams Very nice!!

http://www.lesarcs.com/webcams.html Very Happy Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Looking nice in Les Arcs today, although the snow line is still very high. The forecast is for bad weather again after the weekend. Hope it brings more of the white stuff! Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy