Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
the open lifts to a summit may in fact be the lift running only (linking to another uplift from which pistes can be accessed) - hard to say without discussing specific ones.

Obviously it's all down to your own judgment but i'd be very careful skiing offpiste in current conditions, the cover is so thin that there could be hidden rocks, or that a fall would easily result in hitting some rocks. Even if it snows a little (10cm or so) to conceal this I think it would still be dangerous - personally i'd want to see 20+ cm put down and even then i'd be sticking to covered meadows rather than rocky gullies. Plus your insurance will not cover it.

Tignes could be OK for a bit of change of scenery. Trying skiing would be a good idea, we're thinking of getting a bit of boarding in over at les deux alpes (skiers usually).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BTW, hope that's not too much of a downer. I'm no stranger to skiing closed pistes but looking at the webcams at the moment it doesn't seem wise to me - could be all sorts of hazards/gaps in cover you end up trekking over/etc. It'll be easier to assess when you get there.

They usually warn you when a piste is closed for bashing/'damage' , most are probably closed because of "faible enneigement" at the moment.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
On Saturday the Varet and Aiguille Rouge were open, but only for walkers. It is scenic from the top and even when open for skiing many people only go up and down on the telepherique and don't ski from the top. Of course with so little snow quite a lot of walks are possible from the Varet.

You shouldn't need to hir a car to get to other resorts, but there are car hire facilities in Bourg and Seez. Try the super U for a start. My thoughts are that the other resorts will be just as bad or very crowded. Make the most of the trip and get some lessons
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If you're a boarder treat it as a good opportunity to learn switch.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heh, I learned switch a few years back. Although I need to practice my switch in off-piste situations, I doubt next week will offer any opportunity for it.

Bad conditions are a good opportunity to practice presses and butters. Which basically means I'll probably spend more time that I like catching an edge and falling on my ass Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
moralcrusader wrote:
Hi,

I think this is my first post on snowheads, though I've been lurking for some time. I just wanted to thank the contributors to this thread - especially snowcrazy - as I am travelling to Les Arcs (1800) on Saturday and I'm very upset about the poor snow. I had to curtail one trip back in Feb and cancel another in March so I was pinning my hopes on this week being a good one. It doesn't look like it's going to be a week of dawn till dusk adventuring, but it sounds like there is skiing (or in my case, boarding) to be had.

I’ve been looking at this page: http://www.lesarcsnet.com/lifts-status. Is it accurate? I don’t know my way around this resort, but there are many more lifts open then there are runs. In fact it seems that there are open lifts which take you to a summit with no open runs. Really? Are the ‘closed’ pistes accessible or is it just too dangerous (e.g. because of rocks or piste bashers)?

A few thoughts have crossed my mind:

- If the pistes are closed and I fancy pushing myself, is it possible to actually hike up to the top and ride down, or is it too dangerous (see above)?
- Is there anywhere to hire a car in Les Arcs if I fancy an excursion to another resort? I suppose the problem is across the entire region, so is somewhere like Tignes / Val d’Isere going to be better?
- If the snow conditions aren’t that good then maybe I might use next week as an opportunity to have a few days of ski lessons Smile

Interested to hear what people make of this 

I think there is reason to be more optimistic in the last few days, the precipitation amounts for tomorrow have slowly but surely been upgraded over time and the latest 12Z GFS run is good as well. I would be hopeful of 10cm+ above 2000m and possibly 20cm with bit of luck. Hope it works out for you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
moralcrusader wrote:

- If the pistes are closed and I fancy pushing myself, is it possible to actually hike up to the top and ride down, or is it too dangerous (see above)

remember that your insurance may well not cover this sort of thing so an injury could prove ruinously expensive
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@moralcrusader, Not sure where you will be in Les Arcs, but we're out in 1950 next week with a car - should we end up daytripping elsewhere you'd be welcome to jump in - though as others have said, it's uncertain if there would be much value in doing so, will wait and see.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi @f948lan. Wow, thanks for the offer. My fiancée and I will be in the Hotel du Golf in 1800. Like you said, I think we'll all need to wait and see how things are on the day and play it by ear. However, if you're planning a day trip and have room for two more then let me know! Of course, I may end up in ski school next week Smile
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've been banging on about this on the Val Gardena/Dolomite threads. The prevailing winds over central Europe have been stuck in the South and West since mid November. These are warm or warm/wet (rain) winds coming up off the African continent or warm/wet, off of the Atlantic. Once the wind begins to shift into the North or the East, all will be well. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the updates will be in Arc 2000 from Sunday, are the runs from the top of the Varet 40 open yet and is the Grand Col open?

What's it like down towards 1600 and 1800, looking at the Vanoise webcam it doesn't look good?

Also looking at the cams, looks like the grand renard is fenced off from the top of the Transarc is there a lack of snow down there?

Luckily we have the option of ESF guiding included, think we might need them....
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I,m not sure if esf will be much help there is not enough snow to go off piste and most runs are shut and are man made snow ,a lot more snow is required to make Xmas week anything like good,keep praying
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Is it really bad then?

How many runs are likely to be open next week if things don't improve much?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another day dawned with rain in the valley and only a few breaks in the clouds. So what! Still need to get up the mountain as rain down low means fresh snow up top!

Made it up to Arc 1600 just as the chair opened and had fresh tracks in about 3cm of new snow down to the Arpette Chair. Decided to keep going down to the Transarc in Arc 1800 via the new Mille 8 piste. A nice way to get down and one I shall be using quite often. It was good to not have to use the bus.

No queues at any lifts and straight up to the top of the Arc 2000 bowl and a warm up run before meeting the others.

Once we were all together it was straight into the middle off piste section for a quick run down in the new snow and then onto the central ridge for more fresh tracks. Had a good morning putting fresh tracks in most places we went. Always nice to be first, even when only a few cm's have fallen.

The clouds came and went, but by noon they were back to stay so headed over to Arc 1600 for a very nice lunch (I nearly missed out on an awesome pudding! must learn to listen harder.)

Back up the Cachette chair and down my new route to show the others the Mille 8 development. It is very popular right now!

Up the Transarc again and one run down from the middle station before heading over to the Arc 2000 bowl. Most people went home as the vis was very bad, but two of us kept going and found some more nice snow and a few rocks in some of the side gullies of the race course (unpisted) before heading to the Mushroom for a drink.

Met some friends from earlier so stayed there till after the lifts had closed and then headed down in the dusk to George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950 before heading home and off to see a movie.

For anyone worrying about the snow reports in the press lately. Do not worry, you can get around most of Les Arcs just about and we have enjoyed the last few days. Yes, the snow cover is not great and you must be careful where you ski to avoid the rocks off piste or the little stones on some of the pistes. BUT you can still ski and we are having fun! Plus I am getting to see movies most evening for free which is great!

The photos for today are now uploaded at this link. Take a look at the changing conditions.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.763987427011059.1073741842.195692797173861&type=3

Tomorrow should bring a little more fresh snow in the morning so shall be up for first lifts again.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 17-12-14 1:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@charlie26, @woodpecker, @moralcrusader, @f948lan, @belette, and anyone else I have missed. The great thing about Les Arcs is that there are loads of small off piste areas near to the pistes that are great fun to ride with little risk. Take a look at the photos on the link I have posted to see what we have been doing everyday this week since the lifts opened. Even had some powder yesterday and today. Not much depth, but it was fun! Very Happy

Do not worry about what you read in the press. You will have a fun time in Les Arcs in the coming weeks. Most areas are now open. the Grand Col is planned to be opened at the weekend. The Varet will also be open for skiing from the weekend. Not sure about Aiguille Rouge. Depends on snow conditions and the weather up high! Villaroger are hoping to open some lifts and so are Peiesy Vallandry. If the weather stays cold most lifts will be open by the Christmas weekend as they are also busy making snow.

Lesarcsnet is just a copy of the stuff that is released by the resort tourist office. If you want the most up-to-date info I post it on my facebook page most days as soon as I get it direct from the pisteurs office. I also post here most evenings.

We have had cars here all this week and so far have not bothered to go anywhere. Not sure we will use them now as I am still finding fresh tracks everyday. TODAY we were out from first lift until dark. A full day of riding so the conditions although a challenge, are not impossible. and you can have fun. We Are:-D

If anyone wants to come riding with use, we leave from the top of the Transarc at 10.30am most days. Best to PM me and let me know you are coming the night before if piossible. Hope to see some more snowheads out in the coming days. Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 17-12-14 1:16; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@snowcrazy, can't see your pictures - the link don't work.
Facebook wrote:
This content is currently unavailable

Sad
snow report
@Jonpim, it should work now Very Happy
latest report
@snowcrazy, Thanks for all the updates - you're posts here are a daily read for me!

I'm sure, as you say, we'll be fine and find enough to entertain us - certainly interested to see the new Mille 8 too. Nice to see a bit of fresh snow arrive, even if it's not the dump we're all hoping for - but then after this years BB, I'm very aware of the downsides of the opposite extreme of snow too Happy. Thoughts of a day trip were more for the option to add some variety at some point, rather than feeling a need to avoid Les Arc.

Whatever happens I'll certainly try to meet up at some point - I'll be skiing with my son most of the time - my daughter will be in ski-school and I fully expect my wife will spend more time in the spa than on the snow!
ski holidays
Thanks for the photos snowcrazy....we were starting to worry as we arrive in Les Arcs 1850 for the first time on January 10th - hopefully there'll be a plenty more of the white stuff by then!!
snow conditions
snowcrazy wrote:
If anyone wants to come riding with use, we leave from the top of the Transarc at 10.30am most days. Best to PM me and let me know you are coming the night before if piossible. Hope to see some more snowheads out in the coming days

...might take you up on your kind offer next week!

Cheers, Bob.
ski holidays
Does anyone know what the opening hours are for the new pool in the mille 8 area of 1800? Also is it definitely free to use with a lift pass and do you have to pre book or just turn up and use it?

Thanks
latest report
@bobski62, hey Bob, good to see you lurking round here! I think we might be visiting you in Les Arcs as things aren't looking too good in Ste Foy at the moment. I'm hoping we might be able to use the Villaroger gondola up and down (assuming it's working....). La Rosiere might be another option. Ste Foy currently closed but hoping to open with just 2 lifts this weekend. The off-piste afternoon course is looking somewhat unlikely unfortunately. Phil
snow conditions
@wills_h, I don't know if it's free with a lift pass (to be honest, I'd be surprised it it was). This is the price list that is currently displayed at the entrance to the pool.
latest report
@rob@rar, do you know what kind of swimming trunks they will accept at the new pool?
ski holidays
@chrisb, sorry, no idea.
snow report
@chrisb - Mankini only Shocked

Can see snow on the Les Arcs cameras, yippee!
ski holidays
Its snowing down here in Borug pretty hard, should be giving the whole resort a good covering
snow conditions
Good to hear the snow is down as far as Bourg. It's turning out to be a fairly decent snowfall. Maybe 15cm at Arc 1800. Just hope it doesn't get too warm tomorrow
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Glad to hear about the snowfall for anyone heading out soon! Just over 5 weeks till my holiday in Arc 1600 - can't wait.
latest report
It continues to snow, and is slowly adding up to something half decent, although who knows what tomorrow's temperature will do to it. This was taken at Arc 1800 a short while ago

latest report
Finally snow! Arriving Saturday and was getting quite worried, bring it on. As a side issue daughter wants to do some ice skating when we're there, anyone know if the ice rinks are up and running? Don't want to pack her skates if we don't need to. Not been to Les Arcs before but as far as I can make out from the intergoogle the 1800 ice rink was located at the back of the swimming pool (correct me if I'm wrong) from what I can make out the Mille8 development may have rtaken up the ice rinks space, so long story short, is there still an ice rink in 1800?
latest report
Wed 17 Dec. Today was another cloudy day, but this time with some fresh snow to play in. It started off ok and the vis was not to bad. Managed to find some more places to put down fresh tracks. By the time our group had been down twice the area was completely tracked out. But it was nice to be the first ones again.

After playing around on the Arc 2000 side with the clouds coming in fast we headed for lunch in Arc 1600.

We went to the L' Arquebuse and the food was great. Think this will become a regular stop! With the snow starting to fall outside it was time to head towards home.

A quick ski around the Arc 1800 side and then back to the Arc 2000 bowl. We made it to the Mushroom just as the lifts were closing with the snow lightly falling. Very pretty!

After a nice hot chocolate with the snow still falling we headed down to Arc 1950 as night the night closed in. Another good day and tomorrow should be fun with about 5cm of fresh snow by 7pm in Arc 1600 and I hope much more by the morning. Has the winter finally started to return, I hope so!!

I will shortly post the photos of today. Take a look in the December 2014 album of my facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter

For those all arriving in Bourg this weekend. If you need to rent skis or snowboards. Make a visit to Polaire Star Ski and snowboard rental shop by the bottom station of the funicular or book online before you come out.

http://www.polairestar.com/

ski holidays
Super pleased to see these pics. Just packing the car now, so will arrive in 1800 tomorrow for lunch! Thanks for sharing.
ski holidays
Yes. Definitely looks like what happened was way different to the forecast. Looks a lot better.
latest report
Not so good today as the temperature is way too high. Currently raining or sleeting a little at 1950m, snow higher up. Snowpack is getting saturated and snow depth is being lost on lower slopes.
ski holidays
Great to see the snow! Thanks for the pics rob@rar and snowcrazy. All hail the snowdancers. Keep on working that voodoo! 3 weeks til I get there. Have a good-un Matt Scott.
ski holidays
Am there for the 3rd of Jan and am hoping for a good lampooning of snow the next couple of weeks. First time at 1800 last year and the snow conditions were immense!
snow report
From what I hear from friends in 1800 it's been raining most of today and any gains which were made yesterday have now been washed away.
ski holidays
There's a new webcam at 1800, Chantel, http://www.lesarcs.com/webcams.html, the floodlights are on for the night ski at the moment, difficult to say how good the piste is but its got snow on it.
snow report
woodpecker wrote:
@chrisb - Mankini only Shocked

@chrisb I'll bring one out for you in Jan Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy