Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2014 - 2015

Poster: A snowHead
in 1950 still just Marmottes and pre St Jacques open first thing. Queues at least 30 mins long. Arcabulle apparently open now according to ski plan - will go out again later hoping more is open.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@TallGuyUK, End of March and lifts closed due to too much snow.....Beatchhhhhhhh Mad Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?

Edelweiss today, this must be a controlled avalanche after? Taken from https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pisteurs-Secouristes-des-Arcs/323138794380118?fref=photo
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@TallGuyUK, When I stayed in Arc 2000 and all the lifts were closed I just caught the bus around to 1600 where a lot more was open.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@johnE, Yes, the bus route is often forgotten and a great service.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@thefatcontroller, looks like that's come in from the LHS, the section off the side of Bois de L'Ours. I sincely hope it was controlled! Wonder if it took out any of the trees on that side.

And that's why we obey the rules: when Piste Patrol say no, they mean no.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@johnE, yes bus service good. Used it to get up from bottom of pre St Jacques as quicker the. Queueing this morning. Unfortunately with a 6 year old in lessons, not really an options as always need to be back by midday.

This afternoon much more was open and the queues were non-existent. Wind built up again later and most lifts over the top closed again. however skied chasing after little one for most of the afternoon so all good!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We are staying in Les Coches. Seems to have been raining most of the time we've been here since arriving on Saturday! Spent most of the time the last two days trying to stay below the tree line but above the worst of the slush. Masses of snow higher up but unfortunately just way too warm. Ventured into a nice looking powder stash just below the top of Le Derby with the kids and it was like wet concrete! Spend 10 minutes digging them out several times and then straight lined it back to the piste. Fairly bright at times today but closed in later. Forecast is for more of the same though with lower temps on the way. The latter would be a real help.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Had another great day. - this time in the Champagny sector. Never been there before. The snow was excellent on piste, and hardly anyone around. Is it normally like that over there? Some really nice undulating runs as well. Had picnic lunch in the sun. Very Happy Couple of ventures off piste ended in concrete like conditions.

Got wet when we went low to get back across the Vanoise Express. Got back in time for a couple of laps of Derby before the lifts shut. Clocked up 59K including lifts.

Will post some photos later.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 31-03-15 20:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Great day today once things got going. Instructor managed to find some nice off piste pitches, a bit heavy, but certainly not concrete. Made it over to Bellecote to meet friends this afternoon and the lower areas near the Vanoise Express were horrendous, pure slush and puddles. Good to see the temps on the way down, and it's still dumping here in 2000
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Some pics from today:

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Finally made it out of 1600 and made our way over to 1800 this morning. A lot busier over there and not much more on offer due to limited lifts. Back over to 1600 to pick the kids up and then took the little one on his first proper run down Arpette. Lovely conditions, getting just a bit slushy in the final runs to 1600 but generally holding up well. Bit of sun today too, and nice conditions if you kept out of the wind!

Good idea of where the snowline is right now:

Going for it wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
March 31. Very mixed conditions after all the rain, snow and wind of the past 24hrs.

Today we were very lucky and managed be on the Transarc when they opened the top section. This gave us fresh tracks down the middle ridge for our first four runs with reasonable light. Then the clouds came back and the light became flat.

Time to head to Peisey and a nice Lunch at the Vache before heading back up top again.

The conditions had not improved much so we headed to another of our favorite areas. Take a look at the photos (not many today) to see where we went!

Finally a last warm drink before heading home.

The pistes everywhere are in ok condition in most places, with snow down to all stations. More lifts were open today and it was not busy which ment few queues.

Photos are now posted in the March 2015 Album. Take a look at what conditions are really like.

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream

If you have not tried them yet. Go and rent some fat skis. In these conditions they are great, float over the soft slush and smash through the crud. And when you find that spring snow, they are excellent fun!

Polaire Star at the bottom of the Funi have a variety of skis and snowboards to rent, ideal for these conditions.

http://www.polairestar.com/
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It's absolutely dumping snow here in 2000! And much colder than it was yesterday. I've ordered new fat skis, hoping they arrive today. Anyone know if I can use them straight out of the box or if they need anything done first, wax etc?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dusting of snow here in Vallandry this morning. Despite mixed conditions we have had great few days and made most of it all. Worst bit was wind late yesterday was like being shot blasted
snow report
Nice dusting here down below 1600, and nice and crisp with it. Hope there's a reasonable fresh layer or they'll be very hard pistes down to resort level. Looking like a lovely day Happy
ski holidays
Oh and skis straight out of the box will be fine - factory edge settings and a basic wax on them. Suspect you'd want them waxed fairly soon though.
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, @Boris, @Jon_b, Nice photos snowHead
ski holidays
When you buy a full Paradiski pass for 6 days or more you will be given a voucher for 1 day at in Espace Killy or any of the other Espace Olympique resorts (i.e. run by the Compagnie des Alpes). You take this voucher, the receipt (don't forget) and the actual lift pass to the lift pass office of the resort of your choice and hey presto you get a day ticket! HOWEVER they are not obliged to do this unless the resort is full open (all runs and pistes), so in the end it's a but hit and miss s that's kind of open to interpretation... Good advice would be to check in a Les Arcs lift pass office first thing in the morning of the day you want to go on and they should be able to tell if it'll work out or not. I've been living here for 13 season running chalets and I think on all that time only about 6 people have managed to pull it off!

Weather today (Wednesday) it's snowing lightly down here at Les Granges, temp 2.2c. Despite the recent heavy rain there's now quite a bit of fresh but heavy snow down to resort level. All we need now is some sunshine!
ski holidays
April 1. And today's photos are not an April Fool. We really did have some good untracked spring powder and could even see where we were going some of the time.

Met up at the top of Arpette after some delays due to lifts and then headed for La Plagne as most high areas in Les Arcs were still not opening.

I had to think hard today to find the good snow out of the wind, sun and above the rain and still untracked, but after a cold lift ride we managed a very nice ride down the right hand side of the Crozat chair back to the bottom. The top half was good, the bottom, well nobody caught and edge so not a bad start to the day.

Then up top of the Roche de Mio and some great fresh tracks down the Inversanes off piste areas.

Then into another special place. Take a look at the photos to see if you know the place, but keep it to yourself or send me a PM. Some little secrets are worth keeping.

Then the mist came back and we headed for Champagny down the gorge. Really fun, in fact one person said it was the best condition she had ever done it in! Please she loved it.

A nice lunch at the restaurant just above the bottom of the Rossa Chair. Then a nice fast ski home.

Piste today were mostly in very good condition, but some places were very firm and even icy in places where they were well used. You can get down to Arc 1600 without problem, but not lower. The mid station of the Funi has been closed for skiing for some time, but you do have pedestarian access to reach the higher lifts. Villaroger is also still open. As is Peisey Vallandry, but both with only very limited pistes.

Everywhere we went today on the la Plagne side was also open. But you will need to down lift to Champagny Village. The main La Plagne Villages still have planty of snow. Getting to Les Coches with the Vanoise Express is ok and even down to Montchavin is still just possible.

The off piste is starting to turn for the better if you get the aspect and time of day right. Do be careful, the avalanche risk is very high. Always take a guide if you do not know the area well.

Photos for today will be posted shortly in the new April 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

If you have not tried them yet, rent some fat skis from Polaire Star at the bottom of the Funi. They are great for these conditions.

@araird, The voucher ONLY covers Tignes/Val d'Isere and the Three Valley areas these days. You MUST have the voucher from the Les Arcs lift office with the EK or VT marking undamaged when you present this vocher and your current Les Arcs full paradiski pass at the other stations lift office or they will not give you a free pass. My friends and I have been using them ever since they began every year. 20 years at least I guess and never had a problem. It is an easy system, but you cannot use them after the 16 April this season I think. Better to check with the resort you plan to visit the night before on the phone as Les Arcs Office do not always have correct info for other resorts. Hope that helps!

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 1-04-15 20:24; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Headed over to 2000 today. Delayed because my Son managed to drop his glove from the first lift out of Vallandry, and we had to go through the trees to find the spot. rolling eyes
Everything ices up on the top of Arpette.

Nice snow in 2000, but visibility a bit hit and miss. Coming back onto the Les Arc side, the pistes were still bullet at 16:00.

Will upload photos later.
ski holidays
@araird, The voucher ONLY covers Tignes/Val d'Isere and the Three Valley areas these days. You MUST have the voucher from the Les Arcs lift office with the EK or VT marking undamaged when you present this vocher and your current Les Arcs full paradiski pass at the other stations lift office or they will not give you a free pass. My friends and I have been using them ever since they began every year. 20 years at least I guess and never had a problem. It is an easy system, but you cannot use them after the 16 April this season I think. Better to check with the resort you plan to visit the night before on the phone as Les Arcs Office do not always have correct info for other resorts. Hope that helps!

I told you it was complicated! As you say definitely check with a Les Arcs lift pass office before setting out. I remember a few years (actually quite a few) being at Val D'ISere with my friends in the days when I used to GO on skiing holidays rather than organise them for other people (...) and trying to do this in reverse. All 7 of crowded into my 'C reg' Volvo 740 estate (with the rear facing seats in the boot, best car ever!), anticipating a day at LA. Got to the funicular to be turned away on the 'eez onli valide tu end MArs' regle. So we had to buy passes afresh. First time I did the Aguille Rouge top to bottom though, so it was worth it. Ended up spending time and money in Chez Roger waiting for the group to re-assemble - ah! those were the days.
snow report
Rubbish Photos today, but shows the ice and hoar frost at the top of Arpette.

ski holidays
Photos from today are now posted. Looking good for April 1. Still plenty of good snow around if you know where to look! Take a look at the new photo album. April 2015. Enjoy!

https://www.facebook.com/LesArcsWinter/photos_stream?tab=photos_albums

@araird, Think you DID NOT read my post correctly.

I said 'Better to check with the resort you plan to visit the night before on the phone as Les Arcs Office do not always have correct info for other resorts.'

Asking at the les Arcs office will often NOT give you the correct info. Hope that is clear!Very Happy

@ringingmaster, these are not such bad conditions. It is just what the snow needed although it would be good to be a little more of a gentle refreeze and stay frozen again to make the snow more stable. But still if this colder weather now lasts and even a little more snow falls to bond with the old snow then maybe conditions will become better again everywhere very quickly. I hope so anyway!

We found some great spring powder today and had real fun. Take a look at the photos i just posted. Come and join us if you want to do a little easy stuff tomorrow or Friday before we split up to do some harder stuff. The kids will enjoy it!
snow conditions
Blue sky in Vallandry right now. Have no idea where to head today. A lot of normal choices ruled out through combination of conditions and my experience well lack of on board.
ski holidays
@snowcrazy, loving the varied conditions. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
@ringingmaster, where are you staying? We're in apartments above Le Relax near lifts
ski holidays
@Boris, we are in the lower CGH place on the right as you come down the forest run. L'Orée des Neiges. Stayed here a few times, and really like it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ringingmaster, nice, saw them being built few years ago and are in really good location. We once had one of the chalets opposite
ski holidays
Had a great day today, skiing with @snowcrazy over in La Plagne, snow really good almost everywhere above about 1700.

Some pictures:

snow report
April 2. What a crazy day it turned out to be!

First, when I woke up there was some blue sky and the weather looked quite promising for the day. Even the forecast seemed to favour a better morning. BUT by the time I went up the mountain an hour or so later the clouds had arrived and it seemed flat light and a few snow flakes were the order of the day once more.

Second, I had spoken to a few people about joining me in the hunt to find good snow to ride the day before and so headed up the Arpette Chair and over to the Vanoise Express to see who turned up.

People just kept coming and coming! Guess they liked what they saw in my photos of the last few days or just all had a need to console eachother when faced with yet another flat light day.

What ever the reason we now numbered 25 people including myself as we went across to La Plagne, Even more interesting, almost all were fully fitted out for a day off piste.

The challenge was on! Where could we all go safely to find nice spring snow and still stay safe in these unstable conditions.

First area, under the Crozats chair. Turned out to be very nice. Suitable to everyone and better than expected with some fresh spring snow around.

Then to the top of the Roche de Mio via the Gondola as the Crozats chair had broken down.

The black from the top heading towards Champagny was closed, but the off piste to the side was soft and safe to ski so down we went towards what I call the Champagny Gully. A few tumbles, but lots of fun for everyone.

Next the Champagny Gully. Some went on the piste, but most came into the gully. More ok spring snow most of the way down.

People were getting hungry so we headed for the restaurant by the Rossa Chair on the Champagny side. They did a great job of having tables waiting for such a large group and the food was excellent as always.

After lunch the group split a little, But still 20 of us headed towards Plagne Centre via the Indian Gully. Fun all the way down.

Slowly the group were getting tired and so a few more split to head home and the hard core continued up the chair and down through the trees and half pipe to Bellecote La Plagne.

Back up the Arpette chair and a final split. This time a route only really suitable to those with arvi gear. Some of us headed into the meadow and down through the forest all the way to the piste above Les Coches and back to the Vanoise Express.

Back over to the Les Arcs side and for some, over to George's Wine bar in Arc 1950 for a well earned drink. Quite a day. I hope everyone enjoyed themselves.

Tomorrow we plan to do this all again. Meeting point top of Arpette Chair at 9.40am. Anyone coming along needs to have full arvi gear if you want to do the off piste stuff we do and not go round the pistes. We all need to stay safe out there!

Photos from today will be posted shortly in the April 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter facebook page.

The best news for most people coming out this weekend is that the pistes are holding up well and you can still get to almost everywhere without any problems. The sun is predicted to come out in a few days so fingers crossed!

@ringingmaster, Nice photos. Pity about the flat light most of the day. Pleased you all had fun!
ski holidays
Ah! I'd LOVE to join you guys, but not this time around Crying or Very sad I am waiting around close to 2000 this am for a delivery of my lovely new fat skis, and then I have Pending Jr with me for the afternoon. Not that he wouldn't give it a try though. We came down Ours yesterday afternoon and I had to work to keep up with him. Got to the bottom, looked up and he wanted to know why everyone else was still stuck halfway down! Laughing All the grief and hassle of the last few years dragging a reluctant toddler out skiing is finally starting to pay off Very Happy

Some fabulous pockets of perfect spring powder yesterday, absolutely wonderful! Finally the higher runs above 2000 are open and today looks very promising. Can't wait to try the new fat skis.
ski holidays
Is everyone very hungry this morning in 1950? One of the joys of France, queuing for bread and pastries in the morning. Yum
ski holidays
Light dusting of snow overnight, and the sun is out.. Happy

latest report
@thefatcontroller, Shocked That's a queue! I feel unlucky if there are 2 people ahead of me in the bread queue (in PP)!

@ringingmaster, Nice Smile
snow report
@genepi, Yes, anyone standing between me and my croissant lives a dangerous existence. Skullie
latest report
@thefatcontroller, new owners - Carlos and Brigitte left after the summer period. It's been like that quite a bit this season, so whilst undoubtedly some wonderful and popular food-stuff on offer, I think they need to get their sales process sorted!
ski holidays
@Arctic Roll, Must be good as it looks ffing cold to be standing out there.
snow report
Nice weather today. Over in Le Plagne, we had sun until about 14:00. Very pleasant.
A bit warmer,though and the snow heavier than yesterday.

Some Photos:

latest report
April 3. More fresh powder to play in today. It snowed last night and when we arrived at the top of the Arpette Ridge there was fresh untracked snow everywhere.

Headed for a run back down under the lift for our first tracks of the day. Then back up top and another fresh tracks line all the way down to the Clocheret chair with only one little piste to cross.

Then down the face just near the top of the chair same . This was already becoming a really fun day.

Next, back up the Arpette and another little route overlooking Arc 1950. Always a good place to find fresh untracked snow!

Now for something longer. The Varet and Grand Col were open, but well tracked so over to the Genepy piste nature instead.

Then into Par Avalanche and down to the Soillet for lunch. Good fresh snow high up. but getting heavier lower down.

By the time we arrived for lunch there were plenty of tired legs.

After lunch those with energy managed one more run, this time down the middle of the Robert Blanc face before finally heading for home and George's Wine Bar in Arc 1950.

Another good day with plenty of powder and more to come tomorrow.

Photos will be posted shortly in the April 2015 Album on my Les Arcs Winter page. Enjoy!

Meeting point tomorrow. Top of Arpette Chair at 9.40am for anyone interested in joining us.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy