Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Champery, Swiss side of les portes du soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Spending 7 days on piste here last week of January. Having to get train from Geneva any advice on transport by train, best lifts, runs, bars and après-ski etc welcomed. Thank you.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Transport by train is a doddle, you'll take a train from geneva to aigle, then transfer to to the cog service - this takes about 35 - 40 mins to wind its way up as it goes through the town of collumbay-muraz on the way. Skiing wise, it's great access to the pds, skiing over to avoriaz or staying and skiing just the swiss sectors are both options. There are a wide range of runs from the top of the gondola at champery, I like taking the nice blue down to the drag lift to the right from the gondola as a warmer upper, then flying down the red or blue to crozets, followed by taking mosettes and from there wherever the mood takes! Don't forget to do the swiss wall early on fresh snow day! It's a great base for pds skiing, enjoy!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anyone know the best way of getting between Les Crosets and Champery in the evening, i.e. after lift closure? Do buses run or is it an expensive taxi ride?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just be careful re security of luggage: thieves target obvious tourists on the trains to/from GVA on Friday/Saturday as they're easily distracted and often carrying valuables. Typical tricks are to drop a coat onto women's handbags; drop something on the floor and ask for help in retrieving it from under the seats; putting a dark rucksac next to yours but picking yours up 'by mistake'; etc. Obvious advice, but keep passport, mobile and wallet on your person.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
+1 to this, I had my bag stolen from 3m behind me somewhere between Lausanne and Geneva...........
Not what you expect in Switzerland Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Probably not Swiss doing it though!!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Best way is use Val d'illiez Taxis, they run up and down all the time. Also night skiing Wednesday's and Saturdays so you can ski over and get cab back if you bring some shoes. Champéry has great bars, new Vache Bleu, Cafe du Centre, Vieux Chalet. Crosets has a few too. Chez Nelly, new Creperie and Sundance. Also Mountain Lodge is an English run hotel by the nursery piste with good bar for après ski. There is also a new après ski bar at the bottom of piste at Ray- Bellets. Someone also mentioned an igloo going up when we finally get some snow!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DallyPaul wrote:
Probably not Swiss doing it though!!

Happens more often than you think it would in Switzerland. Quite a problem here in Geneva. You are right though that the culprits will certainly not be Swiss. I have been to villages in the Oberland where you can leave your keys and wallet in the car, house unlocked etc and there is no chance of theft.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The train from Aigle is great fun, especially when it just runs along the street in the town at the foot of the hill. Top tip is to find out where you are staying in relation to the two train stops in Champery. There's one at the entrance to the town and also the terminus at the cable car. You might be nearer the first stop.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 21-12-14 9:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Or stop in Val d'illiez and get a taxi or bus up to Les Crosets. Shorter distance than getting off in Champery
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for the advise. @summer, good info. Checked out the taxi service, 60chf and 70chf after 8pm.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Does anyone know if you can spend Swiss Francs up the mountain on the French side of the PdS?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I took the train to Champery a few seasons back - great experience.
If you're there for a week, you might fancy a day trip to another more exotic resort by train e.g. Leysin, Les Diablerets or Les Marecottes.
You can get a Snow'n'Rail train ticket which includes lift pass, and works out at around a 25%-30% discount on separate price for train+lift pass.
Portes du Soleil is great but tends to get pretty congested and is full of Brits (which you may consider a good or a bad thing!).
You can see how the ski resorts in the area are connected by train at the SkiRail Map of the Alps here:
http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Product_Information.aspx?area=SkiRail_Product_Information
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice one @Neil Neige. You're right, the train is a great way to transfer to Swiss resorts. I'll be railing it once again on this trip - no bother with traffic congestion, winter tyres and snow chains!

I think the mountain restaurants on the French side do take Swiss Francs, though I'm not 100%. Can anyone confirm? Maybe credit card is the best option if the exchange rate up top ain't great?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Swiss restaurants certainly take Euro (at a poor rate of exchange). Not sure about the French ones taking CHF as I always have Euros.

Best bet probably a decent credit card (proper exchange rate, no loading) like my Nationwide one. Always choose the option of paying in the local currency rather than GBP
snow conditions
Nice one @DJL.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy