Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Edges, a limit?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Probably been asked before but not looking at millions of threads/posts, if so sorry!

Is there a limit to how many times you can have your edges sharpened? Ski approx 25-35 days a season and generally have skis serviced after everyother trip. This depends on what type of trip was had ie very icey yes but powder no, not always. The question really comes about that after the last season in Austria with poor snow (on the whole) the edges seemed to go off faster therefore tended to get an in resort service each time. Is the fact that the edges didn't hold their sharpness due to being over serviced? Poor service? (Not a problem before). Poor conditions? Or are the sides just wearing out?
Thoughts please.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do the edges on my skis after each day that they are used, I can feel the difference if I don't.

The limit is when you run out of metal to sharpen, though they will become fragile and more likely to break if you hit a rock before this.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If you do them yourself you tend to take a lot less metal off than from a shop service.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
ADESki wrote:
Is the fact that the edges didn't hold their sharpness due to being over serviced?

Metallurgy doesn't work like that.

Unless you're spending a lot of time on boxes and rails, it might be a bit of a challenge to wear out the edges without battering the rest of the ski to death, to be honest. Sounds like just regular wear and tear.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Scarpa, depends much lay on the way they do it. Concept in Chamonix have a state of the art machine that they reckon gives a more precise and consistent treatment while removing the minimum of metal, way less than would be taken off by hand.

So they say snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Unless you're spending a lot of time on boxes and rails, it might be a bit of a challenge to wear out the edges without battering the rest of the ski to death, to be honest. Sounds like just regular wear and tear.

Be wary of buying second hand from a dry slope racer, especially one with an electric grinder. The whole of the ski will look fine, but have, possibly, 0.1mm of edge left.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
under a new name wrote:
Scarpa, depends much lay on the way they do it. Concept in Chamonix have a state of the art machine that they reckon gives a more precise and consistent treatment while removing the minimum of metal, way less than would be taken off by hand.

So they say snowHead

Unlike the older machine in Sanglard that used to write off skis in 3 goes.

A manualy fed manchine can (when used correctly) service a pair of skiss 100+ times. A skiled craftsman will make light work of doubleing this.

When working for Snowtips/Backtracks in Banff we serviced every pair of skis every time they came back for rental - skiing in Banff regularily invovle skiing on glazed concrete so sharp edges are a must - hence we got very good at giveing a light but efective tune.

If you look at many mass produced skis their edges are geting thinner, over time. While it used to be cores were flexed to death before the base and edge wore out the reverse is now true.

The skis I make may be a little more pricy than mainstram but I do use 2.5mm edge and 1.8mm base - most bases I've mesured in the last few years from the big names have been around .9mm thick, with edges to match!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yup, that's why I prefer a few passes with a selection of diamond stones every few days, keep 'em sharp. Once a year or so I'll use a file to properly redress the edge. My Nordica off piste skis are still going strong after 7 years, not sure how the SLs will last though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I do the same as Scarpa, once a year file, polish every few days with a diamond. Plus be careful about putting them through the machines in the shop. Never had a problem.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy