Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mayrhofen to Munich airport trains or shuttle for solo traveller?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, going to mayrhofen in a group in February but coming home early. I've never travelled in Europe on trains before and to be honest it scares the hell out of me:-o. Is it a simple journey? I believe there are two changes required. I'm worried about missing a connection or getting on a wrong train and missing my flight. Or is a shared shuttle a better option? Any advice welcomed.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Whitty, Welcome to Snowheads.

The journey is very simple. You can plan it on www.oebb.at, which is the Austrian Railways website (in English too). Note that the new timetable for 2015 is not visible until mid-December - but the timetable does not differ greatly year on year.

The usual route is 'Mayrhofen im Zillertal' to Jenbach on the local train; Jenbach to Kufstein; then Kufstein to Munich. There is usually good time (10-15 mins) to make the connections and announcements are in English as well as German. The journey takes about 3 to 3 1/2 hours. There are some direct trains from Jenbach to Munich. As you are going to Munich Airport, you should leave the Kufstein - Munich train at Munich Ost (East) station and change for the train to the airport.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Take a look here and you can book your ticket online: http://reiseauskunft.bahn.de/bin/query2.exe/en?ld=96252&seqnr=1&ident=g1.023542252.1411227510&rt=1&OK#focus This was the example I put in. I could not go beyond the 13th December as the timetables always change at midnight on or near 13th December each year - usually the Satday night. (the date is defaulting back to today's when I checked the link by the way.)

By using the German Railway booking site you can sometimes get cheaper prices than just going through the Austrian (ÖBB) site. Always put in the arrival time that you want for the check in rather than the departure time.

You need to get to Jenbach first where you will then pick up a mainline train. There are changes sometimes are at Rosenheim or Kufstein, but these are straightforward. The next change should be at München Ost where you pick up an S8 which takes you directly to the airport (the S-Bahn station is under the Terminals area. If you miss that, don't worry as you can pick up the same S8 at München Hauptbahnhof as well!

Depending on which day you want to make the transfer it could be quicker than by taxi and if your transfer is a non-standard day, although it may be quieter on the roads, you may have to pay full whack for the taxi.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Whitty, Welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

I've made the train journey between Munich airport and Zillertal/Mayrhofen and return many times and it is actually very easy. Madeye-Smiley Returning from Mayrhofen you firstly go on the Zillertalbahn narrow gauge railway down the valley to Jenbach station, which is joined with the Innsbruck to Munich mainline. At Jenbach when you get off the Zillertalbahn train you'll need to cross to a different platform - there's a below ground tunnel walkway connecting the various platforms, and if you have luggage with you and skis rather than go down and up steps there are also lifts (elevators) to take you down and back up to platform level. You'll then get on a train heading to Munich. Although the train will go all the way into the centre of Munich at the Munich Hauptbahnhof (from which you could then get onto the S8 S bahn light railway line to the airport), it's quicker and more direct to get off the mainline train earlier at the Munich Ostbahnhof station, which also allows you a connection onto the S8 line to the airport. Again there are lifts (elevators) to help you if you've got luggage with you.

You can prebook your ticket for the entire journey at the Austrian railways site http://www.oebb.at/en/index.jsp , although I don't think they are selling tickets beyond about 13th Dec 2014 at the moment, this should soon change. To give you some idea of the travel duration times you can put in an earlier date (enter your departure point as Mayrhofen im Zillertal and destination as Munich Airport T (that's the Terminal, the stop before it is the visitor park which you don't want).

Hope this helps, any more questions please ask. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The current (summer) timetable for the Zillertalbahn is here, the winter one will be very similar. You'll see it takes just under an hour from Mayrhofen to Jenbach, and the trains run every 30mins.
Incidentally free use of the Zillertalbahn is included on your Zillertal skipass, and is a great way of visiting the other good ski areas in the valley. I'd particularly recommend a day's trip to Kaltenbach to check out the Hochzillertal ski area. The Kaltenbach basestation lifts are only a short walk across the car parking area from the Kaltenbach station. Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
You may get a 19 euro special if you book in advance with bahn.com . As above the train is really easy and the tickets have the platform numbers on and the rail staff will speak English.

If not the the shared transfer with 4seasons is similar money. https://www.tirol-taxi.at. They pick you up and take you to the airport. Maybe a stop in the valley but a relatively quick service. If you are going at a peak time though, again as mentioned above, probably safer to use train as traffic can be an issue
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alastair Pink, always a good idea to compare prices with the Deutschebahn site (which I linked in my previous post) as they often come out considerably cheaper! On this particular comparison for example ÖBB were quoting more for the ticket just from Jenbach. The cost from Mayrhofen was not included, whereas on the DBB it was. I know the train is not too expensive but it is nice to get the whole price in one go. If the ski pass does not include the travelling day, you will need to factor in that cost as well. Just for your future reference so to speak as well as I know you come into Munich quite often in the season! wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Samerberg Sue, Thanks, yes I was dimly aware that DB is sometimes cheaper than OBB, but you've just reinforced that. Madeye-Smiley

Whitty, if you do buy an online ticket you print out the eticket but in addition to that for the journey you'll need to show the ticket inspector the credit/debit card you used to make the online payment, and photo ID (passport).
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
^^the exact card (even if it's expired or a new one with a new number). Although my experience is the Austrian ticket guy won't care about that - only the German one (they do a crew change at the border).

Think it's usually mid-late October that the new timetable from December onward is published.

bahn.de has always been cheaper for me than oebb.at and sbb.ch when doing cross border trains.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thankyou for your responses. Makes me feel more confident about it. I had also found the same when trying to look so far in advance. Really looking forward to it, 3rd visit to mayrhofen Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy