Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bindings mounted off centre!

Poster: A snowHead
I've just bought a new pair of skis last week with Marker Squire bindings which the shop fitted for me and spotted that the bindings have been mounted 12mm off centre! Is there anything that can be done or are the skis effectively scrap as the new hole would have to be only 6mm away from the previous ones in order to centre them up. I would normally have just sent them back and asked for a new pair but they are last years model (K2 Kung Fujas) and I got a great price as they were the last pair in the shop.

Just finished giving them a wax when I spotted it too Mad

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 17-09-14 17:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds like the legs on one side of the jig were set to narrow whilst on the other side they were set to wide. First rule after putting the jig on the skis is to eyeball the legs to check they're all the same so it's a very basic error. The skis are toast unless you're happy to have the old holes plugged & the mounting point moved at least 10mm fore or aft.

New skis IMO.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wow, bit of a schoolboy error from the mounter, there. One possibility is to find another set of bindings that can fit around the existing holes, and swap the Squires for them (might be worth scouring ebay?)

PDF of hole spacing for example: http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=102588&d=1320302347

Bit of a faff though Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No need for you to buy new skis, the shop screwed them up, they are responsible to sort their mistake by replacing your skis, bought in a sale or not...........
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Schoolboy error that you don't make a second time, which by implication means most will do it at least once if they mount enough skis.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
KenX, I think 897sma knows that, but the point is there are no more pairs so the best they get is a refund, and they don't want their money back, they want the skis.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
897sma, here's an idea (based on what Serriadh suggested):

Tell the shop you'll keep the skis if they give you a free upgrade to Griffon Schizo and they mount them 1cm fore or aft, then you use the schizo function to reset the mount to the freeride position.

Job done, you owe me a drink!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks guys, I thought so Sad

I've dropped them an email with some pics so I'll see what they say tomorrow. I went to Castleford with them on Saturday and quite liked them too. Not sure what to buy instead now Mad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
897sma wrote:
Is there anything that can be done

You could plug and redrill. Mounting bindings close to the old holes is usually ok, I've remounted overlapping the plugs! If you choose this route get them to refund the cost of the skis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
midgetbiker, that's one option I'll explore
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's annoying because they aren't even close, 22mm to the edge one side and 10mm on the other so I'm really surprised that they didn't notice. Or maybe they did and sent them anyway?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
897sma, the difference in the trade price of the two bindings is far less than having to refund you and scrap the skis so they should jump at the idea. Practically though Shakespeare may not have any Griffon Schizo in stock in the UK to send them right now, but they will have in a few weeks for sure.
PS you could achieve the same effect with a Squire or Griffon demo binding, but it would be a bit less user friendly when adjusting (but more flexible if say you want to lend the ski to friends to try etc), so really it's down to how confident you are adjusting bindings: not confident go Schizo; quite confident consider demo.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
897sma wrote:
It's annoying because they aren't even close, 22mm to the edge one side and 10mm on the other so I'm really surprised that they didn't notice. Or maybe they did and sent them anyway?

As my post above alluded I have done it once (rushing to mount several sets for a German press event). A single foot was set wrong so the drilling was at an angle, but the second I lifted the jig off the ski I saw what I'ld done.

Solution: drill a new pair; plug and mount the first pair and give them to the wife for Christmas. Sorted.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The shop has come back to me and the guy who fired them actually called and apologised, he was really embarrassed and said he's been fitting for years and never done this before. I guess we all make mistakes so I don't hold it against him.

He's offered to refit them but move them 1cm further forwards. Firstly how would this affect they way I ski? I'm a good intermediate. And secondly would those of you who know better than me (spyderjon, midgetbiker, et al,) accept these skis with plugged holes and bindings moved?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
897sma, not acceptable IMO & they're trying to get out of their screw up. And there's no way an error wasn't noticeable when it was done. An existing plugged miss mount greatly devalues the skis. They should replace the skis & they know it & they're just trying their luck. They'll be replacing them at their cost price & they'll keep the duff ones & sell at a discount to someone with a suitable BSL or who's using a different binding with no conflicting mounting locations so they won't be far off recouping their cost & if they supply the bindings to the new owner they'll still be making money. Stand firm!
ski holidays
897sma wrote:
The shop has come back to me and the guy who fired them actually called and apologised, he was really embarrassed and said he's been fitting for years and never done this before. I guess we all make mistakes so I don't hold it against him.

He's offered to refit them but move them 1cm further forwards. Firstly how would this affect they way I ski? I'm a good intermediate. And secondly would those of you who know better than me (spyderjon, midgetbiker, et al,) accept these skis with plugged holes and bindings moved?

Personally I would plug and remount the bindings on the line but I would expect the price of the skis as compensation. As spyderjon says, the skis (or ski) is worthless now.
snow report
Spoke to the shop again and the only options are money back or move the existing bindings by 1cm and plug the hole, no discount or different bindings. I'm really not happy, they f*&?K$d up so I have to make do with repaired skis or go without. I know it's a first world problem but I'm pissed off either way. Mad
snow report
897sma, have your money back. A few deals around.
ski holidays
Take the money. Not been anywhere near either ski but the Shreditor 102 looks similar and there are a few deals around on that.
snow report
jbob, spyderjon, I think I'm going to take a refund
gorilla, shrediter 102 is the same ski rebranded, if I can find a pair in 179 at a reasonable price I'll be happy.

I'd welcome any other suggestions too
ski holidays
897sma, that sucks.

I had a similar problem at Lockwoods once - bought a pair of skis in the sale, they screwed up the binding. They noticed immediately that they screwed up, so immediately mounted up the new season's model of the same ski to make up for it. That's what you should be shooting for here.
ski holidays
Sport Conrad has them for EUR329 in the flat.
snow report
897sma, I have only just scanned the posts above, has anyone mentioned having a demo plate fitted to the skis then mounting the Squire bindings onto the plate? The plate could be mounted away from the current holes and then you would get the correct point on the ski, the only draw back will be the adjustment length will be incorrect!

spyderjon, Is the expert on this, type of thing Toofy Grin
snow conditions
- Send back for replacement (same or better)
- Send back for refund
- Fit a different binding so holes further away
- Plug the holes and fit quiver killers (the plugged holes won't matter the inserts will be solid)
ski holidays
897sma, get your money back, then make them an offer on the drilled skis (this will be suitably low, I can't say what as I don't know what level of ski we are talking about).

They accept the offer or they don't.

If you get the drilled skis for the price you are willing to pay then you mount them using the 'different footprint' or 'use a schizo/demo' methods that have been suggested.

If they don't accept your offer you hit the web to source a suitable replacement with the budget you've got.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy