Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Opening a Bank Account in France.

Poster: A snowHead
re the UK, we sat for ages in a Bank of Scotland in the UK consolidating historic accounts and merging into one only to take 9 months for them to work out that they couldn't add my wife to our "joint" account because we weren't resident. Muppets.

HammondR, if you can find a cheap way to avoid exchange rate fees, additional ATM fees and don't need to send anyone French cheques, a French account will be more hassle than it could possibly be worth.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
AlpineAddict, if you want a credite agricole account then make an appointment to go and see Nathalie in St Gervais, be preoared for about an hour and a half interview and i suspect you'll get an account.

Its worth remembering the French expect you to do business i person and not via email/on line... It may sem antiquated to us but it's a cultural thing foe them.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just a heads up about some changes to the rules about online payments made from Britline (and other CA) accounts, and this seemed the best place to post it.

Since 2nd September, CA have introduced more stringent rules about transfers initiated online.

There are now online transfer limits of €2,500 per transaction and €5,000 per day.

In addition there is now a 2 clear calendar day delay from the time you set up a new payee until the time you can send a payment. The website says it's 48 hours, the staff say it's 48 hours when you phone, but it's actually 2 clear calendar days. So if you set up a new payee on, say, Wednesday, you cannot initiate a payment to that payee until Saturday. I've just been caught out by it. I phoned and Britline told me to email them the transfer request and they'd waive the fee for doing it manually. I was lucky and was in a position to print and scan the request, but it wouldn't have been as easy if I was travelling, so thought other people may like to be aware.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Getting an account with Banque Postale required us to have an interview with someone who went through the inevitable form filling and the account was then opened. Wasn't that difficult but maybe that was because we had our passports for ID and bills for our apartment that showed our address. I am not being a cheerleader for BP but once we got the card through it has been fairly plain sailing and the online operation is straightforward. Transfers from UK forex provider are easy to the account are easy and we didn't have a problem paying in a cheque at la Poste in Les Menuires even though our home branch is in Moutiers. By the way, we have the VISA Classic debit card and its only €18.75 a year as I mentioned, not €500!! I have used it for petrol, tolls before getting the Sanef gadget, in supermarkets and restaurants as well as cash withdrawals. Piece of cake provided you remember your pin.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ll sj1608, all I need for my Barclays France account to set up a new payee is my mobile phone. Authorisation code is sent to it, I enter it online, and can pay anyone immediately.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hells Bells, that's because it's a British bank, I guess! I don't actually object to the new security measures, just think they should be clear about them upfront.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sj1608, no, it's most definitely still a French one, but how long that lasts I'm not sure, as they are considering the sale of their European banks.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We have a French account with AXA which was easy to setup remotely with assistance from one of their agencies that support english:

https://agence.axa.fr/bretagne/morbihan/baud/herrmann-marc-henri

More and more I have been using Revolut where I have a GB, EUR and CH account with IBAN/BIC and find it much easier and cheaper send money, pay people and make low cost FX transactions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
https://n26.com/en-fr

Experience of Austrian/German version and seems to work well. Pay in cash at stores but with a 1.5% fee or from a debit card directly with no fee.

If you want a UK based account this might be an option (only have experience with the GBR account which is fine)

https://www.starlingbank.com/current-account/euro-bank-account/

Then there is Transferwise/Revolut/etc, as mentioned
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
It has always intrigued me how these long dead threads get revived.
You would have to search for them.
Why? Has anything new happened?
So, Ozboy, to a curious old duffer, what prompted the resurrection?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
it was a spammer that resurrected it, but that spam was deleted
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
it was top of the 'latest' post list. Should have realised.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well. now it's resurrected.

I tried opening a Barclays euro current account, only to find out later that they do not issue a debit card with them, so a bit pointless. They actually suggested that, if I wanted to pay from the account, I could transfer it back to sterling to do so. Why bother to convert in the first place?

Back in mid 2019, before we left the EU, tried to open an account in Belgium, using a friends address. Just wanted a current account based in Europe, to transfer into when the rates were good, and use to pay travel expenses etc in Euros, without having to worry about exchange rates.

Also wanted to be able to open savings accounts later, so funds could be built up in EU, for later property purchase.

To qualify, Usual problem. You need an account to pay a bill, but you need a bill to open an account.

Could not fully remove his name from electric bill, as an annual contract, so added joint names. Also changed telephone bill to my name. both still paid out of his account until mine set up.

If paid electric manually after reading meter and sending bill, no problem. But, as paid by direct debit, only 1 bill produced annually. - in April.

Planned to go back in April to complete application, but things conspired to prevent it...

Hopefully, will get sometime next year. Not sure if I will be able to do it now we are out of transition period.

In the meantime, I opened a Revolut account and transferred some funds when the rates were reasonable. Only keep a few hundred euros there as a backup.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@brianatab, I have a debit card for my HSBC France current account, it is linked to my HSBC UK account and is easy to transfer money between the two.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
another vote for Credit Agricole Britline - very easy, and you can do it all in English if you like!

Just a heads up on CA BL. I recently got sent someones bank details, online banking codes, the lot. They had opened an account and transferred an extremely large sum of money over to buy a property. I could have cleared it out and retired somewhere Happy. It seems that they confused the person who opened the account with me because I'd once been the power of attorney for my mum's Britline account and I shared the same name as the person who'd opened their account.

Okay I'm sure this could happen with other banks but I was surprised at the lack of controls.
snow report
@davidof, yep. I got an email from CA des Savoie asking me to repay my overdraft. And then sent a credit card.

There’s someone else in Chamonix with my somewhat Scottish name and CAdS reckoned we had to be one and the same ...

Pink faces when I wandered in to question it.
snow conditions
@rjs, Is that because you opened the France account for an address there, already having an account here? Makes things easier.

Once you have an account in another EU Country, it's fairly straight forward. It's the first one where you have to jump through rings.
ski holidays
@brianatab, Did everything through my local UK branch, the address for my French account is my one in the UK. Have never been into a HSBC branch in France.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, yep. I got an email from CA des Savoie asking me to repay my overdraft. And then sent a credit card.

There’s someone else in Chamonix with my somewhat Scottish name and CAdS reckoned we had to be one and the same ...

Pink faces when I wandered in to question it.

okay not just isolated then. I contacted them to let them know their error. I didn't fancy a life on the run with my ill gotten gains.
snow conditions
FWIW my experience with opening an account with HSBC France online is quite smooth and easy. Everything is done online, the documentation is in English and if you have HSBC Premier the account fees are waived. Otherwise, I thought the fees are reasonable for a French bank, too.
snow conditions
One needs to be careful with some of the new kids on the block that they are subject to some sort of guarantee scheme in the event of bank failure
snow conditions
@davidof, you could have shared them with me then they'd need to find two culprits?
latest report
We opened an account at CA in Chx quite easily, though it was 10 years ago, all done using a UK address for correspondence. We told them we had an address in Chx, but they asked for no proof.

TBH I keep thinking about closing it and just going with Revolut. They don't sfaik have a UK licence, but do have an EU one.
ski holidays
Well...since it's here and resurrected, I would second (or third) Revolut - they are a newish 'disrupter' not around at the time of the original post (edited to add they started up in 2015 so were around in 2016!) and I would recommend them. I use them for both my business and personal accounts. Spot rates for FX, free (or V cheap if you need additional services), cards like normal, can have linked accounts in different currencies, can use googlepay or garminpay so you don't even need to carry a card, just pay with your watch!
(edit - and they have a European banking license).

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 22-12-20 20:05; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We're in Brides Les Bains for the next four months and have opened multi currency accounts with TransferWise. Easy to use app, better exchange rates than I was getting elsewhere and no fees with the debit card when you spend abroad. So far has been really good....... https://transferwise.com/gb/multi-currency-account
latest report
I just transfered some money with currencyfair. They charge 0.33% commision and a 3€ fee per transaction. It is by far the cheepest I've come across.
snow report
johnE wrote:
I just transfered some money with currencyfair. They charge 0.33% commision and a 3€ fee per transaction. It is by far the cheepest I've come across.

Suggest take a look at Revolut - no commission and no fee...
latest report
Don't bother. revolut, transferwise and perhaps others like Monzo provide a better and cheaper alternative than the archaic and comical French banking system if you are only arriving for a season. But if you fancy a blast back to the 90's with a cheque book, expensive account fees, day after day waiting in vain for your cash to arrive then get in the (often lengthy) waiting list for the interview you need to open one
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
^^^ this. Revolut has completely changed the way I move money to France for mortgage etc. I don’t bother paying for premium membership and FX rates (with small fee) still most competitive.
latest report
Quote:

Suggest take a look at Revolut - no commission and no fee...

Most of the time, but to quote "On the weekend (Sat-Sun London time) the provided rates are fixed to protect against fluctuations, this means there is a markup of +1% to all currencies" I make that 1% commision on those days
snow report
countryman wrote:
One needs to be careful with some of the new kids on the block that they are subject to some sort of guarantee scheme in the event of bank failure

N26 has a full European banking license (with the European equivalent of FSCS cover) and the account having a European IBAN; in my post earlier I also suggested Starling Bank, which also has a banking license (UK) and is covered by the FSCS. No connection with these two other than being happy customers.

We had a similar situation to some posts here with local banks, albeit in Austria, and N26 bank was a saviour with nothing but a positive experience so far. It has certainly made life easier having an European account and an Euro IBAN.

We’ve used Revolut and it has also been fine.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@davidof, you could have shared them with me then they'd need to find two culprits?

Next time
ski holidays
Is Britline still the way to go post-Brexit if Miss FZ needs to open a 'proper' French bank account. New employer can't get their heads around Revolut. Thoughts?
ski holidays
I've had no problems with Britline, but no dealings since Brexit, really.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, I was told the La Poste account was easy to open and use. Problem with Britline is that Credit Agricole are all regional banks. There's no joined up system from one region to another.
snow report
Back to square one with Miss FZ's French bank account. They want 'an initial deposit of £2500/3000€'. That seems a hell of a lot and out of reach for a student.

I'll tell her to try La Poste. Any other ideas?
snow report
@foxtrotzulu, Who does she bank with in the UK ?
latest report
Well, in Switzerland, it's the norm that if you want a credit card (the name is a bit of a misnomer) you have to open an additional account with the amount of your credit limit deposited in it. You can elect not to fully pay off the balance but as anywhere, the rates are high enough that anyone sensible pays the balance off each month. I mention this because there are some things that you have to pay for with a credit card, and where a debit card isn't acceptable. The main one is for (some) online web orders. You may (understandably) think a credit card is unnecessary, but just make sure that (a) there are no likely charges that will need one and (b) whether any prospective bank will offer one as part of the package and (c) if so, what are the Ts+Cs.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 1-03-21 16:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@LaForet, Haven't had any problems using my French debit card online, what kind of things do you feel wouldn't work ?
ski holidays
Online ordering of new linen for the beds, more wine from the local coop etc all needed a credit card. And since we already had CHF out there from rentals, using a UK credit card meant an unfavourable exchange rate and charge. So given a cc was free, we opted to get one. Also meant we didn't need as much cash reserve in our current account. Although as mentioned, Swiss idea of credit isn't the same as here.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy