Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

another one looking for recommendations for half term!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
First time on this forum (been skiing for years, so I'm not sure why it has taken me so long to find my way here....!) and I have had a look through the many posts made on this subject, but would still appreciate some suggestions.

So, we would like some where small with good ski school for the children who will be 4 and 6. Ideally with some nice wide cruising blues that we can take them on in the afternoons. As adults we don't need miles and miles of piste, and are generally happy mixing it up and playing around on a few pistes.

Wondering about Germany - but have never been there. I loved Les Angles in the French Pyrenees when I was there several years ago (snow conditions were perfect though!) and it wasn't particularly busy. Would love some suggestions please!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, I also have a 4 year old (going on 45). You should be careful when looking at ski schools. Ensure that that will have a class just for the age group and that the facilities are what a 4 year old needs.

I wrote a small page based on my experiences on our webpage which may help.
http://www.brentaski.com/pages/skiing_children_holiday.html

I hope you find it helpful.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
annaa We have skied in Germany (at Reit im Winkl and Garmisch) - but unfortunately so long ago that I can't remember how suitable either would be for your trip.

As a general principle, Austria and Italy are a lot quieter than the major French resorts at half term. And the US/Canada are quieter still, though it's obviously a lot more expensive to get there.

In terms of Austria and small and user-friendly resorts you could consider Dorfgastein or Kuhtai. You could also have a look here:

http://www.bregenzerwald.at/w/en/skiing/snowsports/skiing/

We're going there for the first time next January. There are 29 ski areas on the lift ticket - including some small, family orientated resorts. The valley gets great reviews in the Where to Ski and Snowboard book. Not sure how English-orientated the ski schools would be though Puzzled

We also enjoyed a weekend in Foppolo in Italy a couple of seasons back. It's quite small but could well fit your criteria. Prices were very cheap compared to France and the resort itself is small with good access to the slopes. The transfer from Bergamo (by hire car) was under an hour.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks Lisa_Brentaski, we did actually take them in January - family holiday organised by my parents - to Argentiere in Chamonix. They had a fantastic time in ski school then, but the resort didn't really offer anything for them (well my eldest) to do off the nursery slopes.

I'll check out the link and other resorts mountainaddict, thanks Smile
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcoem annaa! I have kids of exactly the same ages and have just been booking up for this year. We love Austria and have gone there quite a bit in the past but now for lessons for this age we're actually going elsewhere as we're not so keen on having all day (both morning and afternoon) lessons which is pretty much all that is available through austrian ski schools with just a few exceptions, see my thread here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2566513&highlight=#2566513

For the 4 year old you will find some morning only junior classes but for my 6 year old I couldn't find any. We prefer the option, available in Swiss, (most) Italian and French resorts of half day lessons only as it allows you to do things as a family together and our 6 year old just wasn't up for more than 2 hours of "lesson" time. It may suit some but doesn't us.

If you do go for Austria Serfaus is a fantastic resort (if slightly pricey by Austrian standards) and has amazing facilities for children up mid mountain at about 2000m. Worth a look.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy