Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Quintessential Christmas Village

Poster: A snowHead
Okay what ticks most of the boxes for a perfect Christmas village to stay and ski at? Needs to be relatively snow-sure and have perhaps sleigh-ride, ice-skating, quaint center for walking around, activities around the holiday and so on.

Alpbach, Serfaus, Filzmoos, Lech, St. Moritz, Zermatt and Wengen come to mind. Please give me some more to consider.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megeve as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bookmarking this for new ideas
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Megeve is a bit low to be reasonably sure of pretty resort-level snow(as opposed to black piles around the pavements) at Christmas. That's the trouble with the more traditional villages - they were built in places where their inhabitants would not spend all winter under the snow. Not guaranteed in Alpbach, either - same reason.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Obergurgl?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Not sure what additional activities you're after, but Madonna di Campiglio (1550m - 2500m) is a charming village/small town in the Brenta Dolomites.

Open air ice rink, plenty of trails, dog sledding, paragliding, snow-shoeing, ice climbing etc.

Some pretty skiing, more challenging stuff, great on-mountain restaurants.

Village offers a couple of clubs, if wanted, some superb restaurants, relaxed bars and all in a charming, characterful surrounding.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sterzing/Vipiteno and Meran/Merano (both in Südtirol) and Madesimo (Lombardy) are also good places for chocolate box like Christmas villages. The Südtirol ones also both have great Christmas Markets in the Advent period, not so sure about Madesimo. The ski areas for Sterzing and Meran are not very big though, Medesimo has quite an extensive ski area.

Filzmoos is the usual one in the pictures for Austria, either that or Heiligenblut just south of the Großglockner. If it is a snow poor beginning then few if any places are going to be knee deep in snow as per the Christmas Cards. Alpbach is usually pretty good for snow, especially as it has its nursery area in the middle of the village.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Zell am see was nice and pretty when I went there for xmas. They have a xmas market, a big tree and lots of lights. On xmas eve there's some dipping the xmas tree in the lake thing.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Les Arc 1950 was very pretty last Xmas, we looked down on it from Arc 2000 and wandered around on more than one evening. 2000 and 1950 are liked by a short cabine which runs from early morning to late evening. There are plenty of other activities http://www.lesarcsnet.com/activities/winter as well as torch light Santa parades etc. but I would not describe any of the French resorts I have been too as a Quintessential Xmas Village, or a Chocolate Box village as my family say. For that I think you need to look at at Austria, Germany even? and Switzerland, but the compromise may be on height. However many folk believe height is not so important as you go further east in terms of surety of snow!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Madonna di Campiglio. Not seen it at Christmas, but it would seem to tick quite a few of those boxes.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Saas Fee
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'd cross Tamworth off your list.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
DB, But not Milton Keynes Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Arabba was looking pretty under several metres of snow in early February last year - not sure what it would be like in an average year at Christmas. One of the Dolomites villages might be a good bet because the mountain surroundings are so outstandingly beautiful. They make some of the competition look decidedly ordinary.

DB, Obergurgl is hardly a quintessential Christmas village. wink Actually, I don't think Megeve is either, even with resort level snow - it's too sophisticated. Can't think of another French contender though La Clusaz might fit the bill other than the usual caveats about snow at resort level. Alpbach would be lovely with good snow cover. Murren? Only been there in summer. There must be other Swiss possibilities.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
Arabba was looking pretty under several metres of snow in early February last year - not sure what it would be like in an average year at Christmas. One of the Dolomites villages might be a good bet because the mountain surroundings are so outstandingly beautiful. They make some of the competition look decidedly ordinary.

Having been to Arabba at Christmas (snow was also very good then), I thought that, whilst pretty and charming, etc, it was quiet. There aren't too many streets to wander around and I didn't clock to many other activities, though to be fair wasn't really looking.

If there was snow like last year, I think I'd rather stay in Alleghe - ice rink and picture postcard lake etc. It is low, so snow would be a gamble IMV.
latest report
Saas Fee
snow report
Cortina might be nice. Biggish village/town, plenty to do. Low though, so possibly no snow in streets.
ski holidays
Thanks for all the responses!

I'll definitely look at Madonna, it is one of the few places in the Dolomites I haven't been to.

Zell am See is low elevation if I recall and suspect for snow that early. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.

La Clusaz and Megeve are beautiful--if there is snow.

Arabba is very quiet, we've stayed several times in both San Cassiano and Corvara which are close to there.

Cortina scenery is amazing--the town not so much. Last year was weird of course. A lot of snow in November. None until just after Christmas and then epic for the next three months.
snow report
Zell am See +1 . It also has the glacier at Kaprun.
ski holidays
Quote:

Zell am See is low elevation if I recall and suspect for snow that early. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong.

You're wrong. Resorts in that part of Austria don't rely on altitude for snow, which is a good thing as most (Zell am See, Kitzbuhel, Saalbach, Hinterglemm, Fieberbrunn etc.) start at 1000m and only go up to about 2000m. Instead, they have a different climate to the high French resorts, lots of trees to provide shelter and shade and extensive snow making. As for pretty villages at Christmas, pick any of these, plus Maria Alm, Bad Gastein, Mayrhofen etc. All are built around a village square, onion-dome church, 16th century Hotel Post and so on.
snow conditions
+1 for Saas Fee, not been at Christmas, but it is nicknamed 'the pearl of the alps' for a reason.
On a selfish note I hope Arabba is nice, we are off there this Christmas. First Christmas for us outside of Scotland. Really couldn't be doing with all the faff, liver abuse, stomach abuse, etc.
snow report
Tignes Toofy Grin. White Christmas guaranteed wink .

Failing that:
- Saas Fee
- Obergurgl
- St Martin de Belleville
- Tignes les Brevieres
- Neustift
- Dorfgastein
(Have to say though - not sure of the Christmas-snow record at the last two; or whether all have the required skating etc. Still, hopefully a few pointers.)
snow conditions

http://youtube.com/v/iCeOmWFkWfs
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/XFCoC0jseLI
ski holidays

http://youtube.com/v/s4pg2jnLgA0
latest report

http://youtube.com/v/pKl8NKrSfSA
snow report

http://youtube.com/v/yWE2eqn_7FQ
snow conditions
I has been mentioned that Maria Alm and the Hochkonig is in a snow pocket, so despite the lower elevation it is a safer bet. Do fellow snowheads agree or disagree?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Vgunn, the whole of the eastern Alps are lower than the western end, but seem to manage more than adequately despite that to be world class skiing destinations! Lots of places claim to be in a so-called "Schnee-Loch" but whether they truly exist is questionable in terms of true meteorological facts! wink I would not get too hung up on height to be honest, as they say about many things - it's not the size (height) that matters, it's what you do with it that counts in the end! Laughing

I've spent every Christmas and New Year for the past 25 years in and around the Salzburg region, initially always in St Johann im Pongau, and more recently based in Altenmarkt. Sometimes the snow has been mega, other times maybe not so great, but I have never had a time when I could not ski down to the valley if I wanted to. Whether or not there will be snow in the valleys is always questionable these days, the main settlements developed in sheltered areas where the winters would not be so extreme. I skied in Maria Alm early last season and there was snow on the ground in the car parks but it was not that "deep and crisp and even" Toofy Grin Having lots of snow around adds some magic to the Advent Markets, I am usually disappointed when the Salzburg one is "dry" as it was last year. However they are always worth a visit if you are in the area for Advent, knowing where to go is important as there are some parts to be avoided for example in Salzburg, especially when the snow is not there to add to the atmosphere. The real magic for me though is when I come out of church after Midnight Mass on Christmas Eve and it is snowing - that has occurred more years than not!
snow conditions
Samoens has a pretty village centre with covered market and church. Wouldn't guarantee snow on the ground there at Christmas though. Lech had plenty of snow at resort level last Christmas even though by normal standards it was a very poor season. The Christmas Eve carol service in the church was queued out the door, so plenty festive charm.
snow report
mountainaddict wrote:
Tignes Toofy Grin. White Christmas guaranteed wink .

Failing that:
- Saas Fee
- Obergurgl
- St Martin de Belleville
- Tignes les Brevieres
- Neustift
- Dorfgastein
(Have to say though - not sure of the Christmas-snow record at the last two; or whether all have the required skating etc. Still, hopefully a few pointers.)

I would take St MArtin de Belleville off that list, I've known it have almost no snow all season + it isn't much of a village

Tignes les Brevieres is pretty but again it's acollection of buildings not real a village and if wind is up or the cloud is down its a grim place.
latest report
+1 for Alpbach - not that snow sure though.
snow conditions
Quote:

I would take St MArtin de Belleville off that list, I've known it have almost no snow all season + it isn't much of a village

Tignes les Brevieres is pretty but again it's acollection of buildings not real a village and if wind is up or the cloud is down its a grim place.

+1
snow report
Wengen - traffic free and has an English church with a Carol Service
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy