Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Had a good start at Moiwa and then a good day at Rusutsu but no snow since the weekend and warmer temperatures mean pretty springy conditions. Very disappointed but making the most of the conditions with some ski touring. Fingers crossed for more snow but looks unlikely before the weekend. On the upside, my tree skiing (and loving!) has improved a lot.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Timmaah wrote:
Great idea! But please don't put gates in snowHead

Each resort has different agreements with the National Park authorities and/or Forest Service for which parts of the resort can and can't opened & managed.

Kiroro has seen a big increase in visitation this season from those wishing to ski off the groomed runs - easier to get to this season; curiosity; consistently better snow than other areas - but also a massive increase in the number of unprepared visitors getting stuck in holes and terrain traps.

For the 2015/16 winter season Kiroro is in talks with the Forest Service on the safest and best way to make the ungroomed, uncontrolled areas available.

The proposed snowcat operation will be on private land owned by Kiroro.

Access to the backcountry from Kiroro land will be controlled.

Once I know the particulars I'll let interested parties know.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Decent day at Teine today, despite low expectations! A dusting overnight on top of a fairly soft base. Most of the trees hadn't been touched so the snow was nice and smooth. We spend most of our day in the more sheltered and lesser known bowls.

No real snow in the forecast and a nasty warm snap on Sunday. Really hoping for a change from these warm days that we've been having for the past few weeks.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a weird year all round for snow all over the place.. Had a look at 360Niseko snowfall figures..

All up to 19th February:
2014/2015 - 968.5cm
2013/2014 - 1050cm
2012/2013 - 1262cm
2011/2012 - 1318cm

That's a pretty consistent trend...
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Timmaah wrote:
What a weird year all round for snow all over the place.. Had a look at 360Niseko snowfall figures..

All up to 19th February:
2014/2015 - 968.5cm
2013/2014 - 1050cm
2012/2013 - 1262cm
2011/2012 - 1318cm

That's a pretty consistent trend...

The older Japanese locals say that the area gets 14-15m of snowfall at the base most seasons.

If it comes early, then Spring will be dry.

If it comes late, Spring will be snowy Smile

My measurements at approx. 300m asl I've been keeping for 8 seasons prior to this one have the mean at 14.27m with a SD of 1.88m
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Mike Pow, I hope this snow shows up soon!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Rishie, let's hope so! Another relatively warm and dry day here in Central!

We went to the small and fairly unknown ski hill of Bibai today for something a bit different. Only 1 lift there but 5 or six different pistes and lots of fun little lines between them. The snow between the pistes was still in decent condition and we found lots of fun little hits to keep ourselves entertained for a morning.

Looking down from halfway up the ski area. No base lodge here!

Sort of powder snow between the pistes

Fun natural step up feature

Looks like a sunny day in the forecast for tomorrow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Day 91 at Kiroro: Thursday 19 February 2015

0 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

KIRORO BACKCOUNTRY - PROPOSED SNOWCAT TOUR TO SAPPORO KOKUSAI SKI AREA FOR THE 2015-16 WINTER SEASON

Kiroro Resort is in discussions with the Japanese Forest Service to re-introduce Snowcat Tours between Kiroro Resort and Sapporo Kokusai Ski Area for the 2015-16 winter season.

The snowcat will take Kiroro guests from the Kiroro Gondola Summit station to the Sapporo Kokusai boundary and after a day's skiing, pick up at the top of the Sapporo Kokusai gondola for the ride back to Kiroro.

There will be a strong focus on ski / snowboard improvement, route selection and backcountry safety.

Today I had the opportunity to ski tour to and from Sapporo Kokusai to ski some of the terrain which will hopefully be part of the experience next winter.

Stay tuned!

Pics here
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.721289544651853.1073741899.366773836770094&type=1

OVER THE HILLS AND FAR AWAY

http://youtube.com/v/o65OJaw3_zI
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Day 92 at Kiroro: Friday 20 February 2015

0 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

JIMMY

http://youtube.com/v/9NydWAH0Ixg

Another sunny day at Kiroro and a chance to ski with James MacKenzie again.

Day 14 on snow and he was exploring his stance and balance at speed on steeper red runs.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Blue sky day today as expected at Yubari. No new snow, nice and warm. Park session!

Couple of screengrabs. Might make an edit later...

Looks like more sunshine tomorrow. We're heading to Teine, the views should be sweet.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Here's the video from yesterday's park session at Mount Racey.

(Warning for those who disapprove - this contains copious use of a selfie pole, some skiing without poles, and even without a helmet!)

Yubari Park Session from Andy Evans
https://vimeo.com/120153226
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cracking.

Sunset shots for the win.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Teine today. Guess what?! No new snow.

Still fun though, great views and some soft mellow snow in the trees. Plus a decent park.

Views to the south of (L-R) Muine-yama, Yotei-zan and Yoichi-dake

The crew at the top of the Summit Express, overlooking the sea

Fun in the park

Forecast is looking promising, it actually looks like we might see some snow next week... We might have to remember how to ski powder by next weekend.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going through the expected warm spell today. It feels very strange, the sun is down but it's still comfortable outside in just a hoody.

Temperature of +5 at 5:44PM

This should last for the next 24 hours or so, and then temperatures will drop and we should get some snow.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks to everyone that contributes to the thread for their insight through the season. As part of a trip to Japan recently I spent a week skiing so thought is share some thoughts:
- Sapporo and the snow festival are well worth checking out, even just for an evening
- We got the train through to Niseko from Otaru and it was pretty hassle free, though do get there early for your train if you don't want to stand the whole way
- We left it late to book and the Hilton at Niseko village was all we could get, that said I'd probably stay there again. The restaurants in the small (recently developed?) village are good and the patisserie serves up a decent brekkie
- the hire options at Niseko village don't work if you want a specific type of ski. Rhythm provided a vast choice, and was much cheaper
- the buses between the towns are very easy to use
- had no problems with baggage/internal travel using both air peach for Osaka and ANA for Tokyo

Excited to come back next season and try some new areas.
ski holidays
Great tips @Alans deep bath! If you need any info for next year on other ski areas and different options in Hokkaido, please contact me!
snow report
A surprisingly decent day at Teine today despite there being rain last night in town. Seemed like some of it had fallen as snow higher up, as we managed to find a few powder stashes.

It just started snowing here, let's hope the weather is changing!
snow conditions
Three more sleeps, that is all snowHead
ski holidays
Highlights from our recent visit

http://youtube.com/v/WrQ5kJIHtI0
latest report
Pretty amazing day in Rusutsu, snowed all day, mostly fresh tracks through the trees and when they weren't freshies it was because we were skiing in our own tracks!!
snow report
Having just come home from a week each in Niseko and Furano I have to second @Alans deep bath, in thanking the posters on this thread for their helpful and informative input.
Cheers Sarge
ski holidays
@Rishie, We're probably heading to Rusutsu on Saturday. Sounds like you had a solid day! The forecast looks nice for the next few days too.

@Sarge McSarge, How was Furano while you were there?
snow conditions
@MagSeven, yup, it was pretty good. We skied Niseko today and there was some good snow to be had but one had to work hard for their turns. Tomorrow we tour Mount Yotei and hopefully back to Rusutsu on Friday for some epic epic ness!
snow report
Tim Banks and I took a little trip away from Shiribeshi the past 4 days while we waited for the powder to return.

We stayed at Hotel Paco in Asahikawa on Saturday night and Hotel Deer Valley in Asahidake on Sunday and Monday nights before returning to Kiroro last night.

Sunday 22 February 2015
Kamui Ski Links

ON THE ROAD AGAIN

http://youtube.com/v/C2BQiOzaN4M

Monday 23 February 2015
Furano

DOUBLE DECKERS

http://youtube.com/v/imTdfk9kX2Y

Tuesday 24 February 2015
Sahoro Resort

ROAD TO NOWHERE

http://youtube.com/v/XYJ_2Go57LQ

First time skiing at Furano and Sahoro. Very impressed. Will definitely return.
ski holidays
Day 97 at Kiroro: Wednesday 25 February 2015

5 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

MY SILVER LINING

http://youtube.com/v/RWxrQjLQM7Y

Back at Kiroro after a short road trip to central Hokkaido with Tim Banks skiing Kamui Ski Links, Furano and Sahoro.

And back to winter after almost a week of spring skiing.

Pics here

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.724808657633275.1073741901.366773836770094&type=3&uploaded=10

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 26-02-15 12:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
@MagSeven, Furano had good conditions with light snow off and on then good falls at the end of our week. Locals said that the base was about one meter less than average so more bamboo etc to avoid in the trees. Still the skiing was great and the policy on tree skiing was more relaxed than I was expecting from the reports I had read. They now have the start of a gate system like Niseko.
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, Hotel Paco! That place has great karaoke rooms on the top floor - big windows overlooking the city and beer taps in every room! Worth it even if you're not into the singing!

Think I'll probably be at Furano on Monday, good to hear that they're loosening up on their tree skiing @Sarge McSarge. Last time I was there was 4 years ago and they were pretty strict.
latest report
Thursday 26 February 2015
Sapporo Kokusai

ROADRUNNER

http://youtube.com/v/K5StMfYM3p0

Tim enjoying powder and soft crud at Sapporo Kokusai.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lots of snow last night up at Yubari. It was very heavy and slow though, so quite hard going with some tough walks out from the trees!

This guy might need a bit of help getting out!

Skis are all waxed up and prepped for warmer snow! Ready for a good day down at Rusutsu tomorrow!
latest report
@Sarge McSarge, do you still have to duck a rope to access the dam run or is that now accessible via a gate? Two years ago that would stay untracked for days.
snow conditions
@Timmaah, To go down to the dam there was a gate with all the warning signs about backcountry, own risk etc but other places its definitely a case of under the rope. Did not hear of anyone being told off in any way for doing this. One of our group was there three years back and said the fence lines had been seriously reduced since then. But still some strange bits of fence. For instance the area of trees under the top two seater chair (the on that you use to do the dam run) are fenced at the top with keep out signs, yet the fence line only runs about a quarter of the way down each side so easy to get in there without cutting the fence. I think they have changed their policy but have not yet rationalized the fence and sign placement to match. Whatever the situation there was some great skiing in and out of the trees. Very Happy
snow report
Real good day at Rusutsu today. Around 15cm of new snow overnight. It warmed up through the day as the sky cleared. But the views more than made up for the heavy snow.

Had a little race with the famous backwards skier.

View on the way home. Anyone spot Mt Yotei?

snow report
Fab pics
snow report
Day 99 at Kiroro: Friday 27 February 2015

5 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

Another great day of sunshine and powder for Tim Banks.

CARS

http://youtube.com/v/zK3w5k1GsF0
ski holidays
Day 100 at Kiroro: Saturday 28 February 2015

10 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

LETTING GO

http://youtube.com/v/8bK5aGAbHno

Tim Banks was deft and fleet on his feet today showing great pressure control in ever changing conditions.
ski holidays
High wind the order of the day in Niseko today, lifts shut early afternoon in Annupuri and Hirafu gondola was running at snail's pace so we called it quits. Change of scenery with a day trip to Kiroro tomorrow hopefully the winds have blown in the right direction for us snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks for the update.

Any new snow, I'm heading over tomorrow?

Snowed most of the day here in Kiroro.

Should be great tomorrow Smile
snow conditions
@Mike Pow, It was warm so the little snow there was was wet, one of our group took wrong bus and went to Hanozono and skied there anyway and said he had best snow of our trip, I think we made wrong call, temps def dropped in the afternoon and more snow came in but doubt there's been more than 5cm. Hanozono would be my pick tomorrow if we were here but I suspect you'll know best! snowHead
ski holidays
Much appreciated.

May pick up my customers and come back to Kiroro.

Calm and clear now with 10-15 cm since lifts closed yesterday.

Enjoy Smile
ski holidays
Kiroro. That is all.

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy