Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hokkaido, Japan 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks for the updates

Hows the forecast looking for the coming week? I'm out there this Sunday for a few days (Hirafu)

thanks

Jon
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@jonkgray78, looks like maybe a clearish day tomorrow but then snow through till Saturday, heaviest on Friday.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sunday 18 January 2015

A LION'S HEART

http://youtube.com/v/iqnsWa_mcX8

John Pidgeon's back in town and back making shapes on snow at the tender age of 88.

When he went to buy his senior lift ticket today the lady asked him which year he was born. He replied 1926 but their calendar only went back as far as 1930!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Tue 20-01-15 22:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What a legend....I'm sure that just about every snowHead would hope to be able to do something similar at that age, but not many will.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Absolutely
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Alright.. Today was pretty spectacular. Managed to be first person down the peak as the handful in front of me were faffing around with their gear snowHead
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
legend - due to idiot at 25s mark it might have been his last outing.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
True, but the kid was only about 10 years old.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Monday 19 January 2015

BEVERLY PENN

http://youtube.com/v/e5KP8-DiifM

The Wikmans & friends skiing the Niseko Annupuri powder under blue skies.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wednesday 21 January 2015

A STRING OF PEARLS

http://youtube.com/v/Gx2z9X4c1iE

It was John Pidgeon's first visit to Rusutsu today and he couldn't have had a better introduction.

Sunshine, perfect grooming and empty trails.

He'll be back.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Wednesday 21 January 2015

2-4-6-8 MOTORWAY

http://youtube.com/v/-Dmyq-o37I0

Sunshine, powder, perfect groomimg and empty trails at Rusutsu for the Wikmans.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Day 63 at Kiroro: Thursday 22 January 2015

0 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

IN THE MOOD

http://youtube.com/v/dGYkzFlGVHE

Longtime Niseko Resort Area visitors the Wikman family and John Pidgeon took a trip over the mountain today to visit Kiroro for the first time.

What did they find?

Something for all the family for all ages, and this family certainly spans the ages with grandaughter Annie coming up to her 14th birthday and grandfather John halfway through his 88th year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Not an amazing weekend snow-wise, despite our high hopes. It looked like we should have had a lot of snow through Friday and overnight into Saturday. It did fall, but not over Teine unfortunately. Kokusai apparently had a ton of snow and Teine only got around 15cm, despite being less than 15km apart!

We still had fun seeking out hits in the trees

Today was a bluebird day with no new snow over at Yubari. Very quiet there, so we still found plenty of fresh lines. This is just over the backside from the top.

View of Yubari-dake from the top of Mount Racey

Hopefully should be getting some good snowfall this week from Tuesday. I've got a couple of days off later in the week, so will take full advantage!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
God, I love this thread. Thank you (MikePow and MagsSeven) for the regular updates, videos and especially the pictures.

Will be out there based in Niseko in 3 weeks for about a fortnight. Is it fairly easy to day-trip to places like Rusutsu, Mount Racey and Yubari? We are going to be car-less. Following on from MagSeve's comment, this is going to sound like a really stupid question but how does one find out about where the best snow is?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Rishie, getting to Rusutsu for a day trip is easy from Niseko. A number of companies run transfers and guided tours over there. Mount Racey is more tricky (to clarify, Mount Racey is the name of the ski hill, Yubari is the name of the town it's in. So they're one and the same). There is public transport from Sapporo, but its slow and not direct. It's a very long way for a day trip though. A hire car would be far easier. It'd be worth checking out other areas closer to Niseko, Kiroro or one of the Sapporo hills.

For snow, it's often potluck as snowfall is so localised. www.snow-forecast gives a good early idea, but tends to underestimate the snow depths. I tend to use this radar view on http://www.jma.go.jp/en/highresorad/ You can zoom in to the area you're interested in and see where the snow is falling now, and +/- 1 hour. If you know where the ski areas are, or look on a map, you can get a very good up to the minute picture.
ski holidays
@MagSeven, Niseko was similar today. Only a small dusting of snow. Back bowl was fun but it was a day to hit powder for an hour and then get the groomers going. Australia Day tomorrow.. so a chance for me to soak up the local culture.
latest report
@MagSeven, whoops. Thanks for that, local knowledge is much appreciated.Happy
snow report
@Timmaah, how busy is it in Niseko at the mo? Are you expecting the crowds to thin after this week when Aussie school holidays finish?
ski holidays
Australia Day, take cover. Things are gonna get rowdy!

@hd, it'll probably be fairly busy through till mid Feb as it's the Sapporo Snow Festival which brings a lot of tourists to Hokkaido, then it's Chinese New Year. The powder shouldn't get quite as tracked though, as it's more beginner/intermediate piste skiers from China and SE Asia.
ski holidays
@Rishie, from Niseko there is a daily coach that does the day trip to Rusutsu.
Twice (maybe thrice?) a week a coach does a day trip to Kiroro.
Moiwa is just across the valley, daily buses there.

Loads of info and booking at the Day Center (you will find it easily when there)

Further needs a car really.

Rusutsu and Kiroro are 100% must do...100% MUST do!
snow conditions
@hd, busiest I've seen it in the three years I've been here. But as @MagSeven, said it should start getting little less busy but.. it's definitely a place where you need to hit it hard in the morning to get the goods.
ski holidays
Great at Kiroro Saturday and today Smile

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.706636832783791.1073741882.366773836770094&type=1
ski holidays
Day 65 at Kiroro: Saturday 24 January 2015

30 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

ELECTRICITY

http://youtube.com/v/bTbXrFGsCCE

The Wikman family and John Pidgeon returned to Kiroro today for their second bite of the cherry.
snow conditions
Great thread guys. Arriving in Niseko on the 1st Feab and I cant wait. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
Hmmmm, rain today with a freezing level up at around 1,000m first thing. It's starting to turn to sleet/snow now as its getting colder through the morning. Forecast is for temperatures to return to normal and for snow to continue until Thursday. Hopefully. This has certainly been the most variable January I've seen here.
latest report
Looks like a potentially massive dump over the weekend if snow forecast is to believed? (ha ha...)
http://www.snowjapan.com/japan-ski-resorts/hokkaido/kutchan/niseko-mountain-resort-grand-hirafu/snow-weather-reports
Cool
ski holidays
@hd, most people with experience of Hokkaido will tell you that snow-forecast is usually expecting a LOT less than they actually get!
Sort of the inverse to its European reputation....so on average they are spot-on Smile
ski holidays
@rungsp, yes having been following the SJ Niseko Now reports avidly I've gathered that a 5cm forecast can easily translate into a 30cm+ dump. I was therefore interested to see that snow-forecast was predicting 30cm for Sunday...what would that mean...100cm+???

Having said all that it has dropped back on the latest run, but still looks like a solid dump just before I arrive snowHead...there's a big precipitation spike on the wigglies http://www.meteociel.fr/cartes_obs/gens_display.php?ext=1&lat=42.8&lon=140.1
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Day 67 at Kiroro: Monday 26 January 2015

0 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

ABOUT TO WALK

http://youtube.com/v/_X0Yhc5O4jk

Today was the first day skiing in Japan for Chris from 'Merry Old' England, and what a cracker to start his holiday.
snow conditions
Day 69 at Kiroro: Wednesday 28 January 2015

5 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

BEGINNING TO SEE THE LIGHT

http://youtube.com/v/9c6tP49tkWo

After yesterday's rain / sleet / snow hybrid it was back to below freezing temperatures, a top up of dry powder and another glorious day of sunshine.

Perfect for the third day of Chris' holiday.
ski holidays
Pretty good day in Niseko today, only about 20-30cm but the snow was so quick you were easily creating heavy fast sloughs, and the snow was hitting you in the chest. Sadly I tweaked my knee early on so had to call it quits early on.

Been lightly snowing all day so peak gates should have a little refresh hopefully tomorrow again.
snow conditions
Seems like the snow missed Teine completely. We had a fair bit of fresh snow yesterday at home (a little outside Sapporo,) but the city and hills behind got very little. A nice blue sky day today and very cold, but the snow was quite crusty.

@Mike Pow, I was due to ride with your mate Tracey from down in Tokyo, but he arrived, had a look around and decided to head up north to Asahikawa where the conditions are looking better!

There were still nice stretches of untouched snow but it wasn't ideal. Blue skies and nice views though

Cautiously taking on some pillows

A few powder stashes heading down into the bowls

ski holidays
Yeah he said. Asahidake is primo he told me.

Knee deep at Kiroro Smile
latest report
Day 70 at Kiroro: Thursday 29 January 2015

3 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

ONE WAY TICKET TO THE MOON

http://youtube.com/v/rROEfL55V9I

Another glorious sunny day at Kiroro with fast groomers and a top up of the powder.

Chris let the skis run today.
snow report
I realise this is a bit of a stretch..

Are either @Mike Pow, or @MagSeven, heading from Niseko area to Kiroro on Sunday? We're (two of us) keen to go there to get the goods but the bus seems booked up.. The guy said if we had a group of 20 then there'd be space (go from mini shuttle to full bus).

Alternatively.. if you know of other ways please tell! I hear there's a Donan bus but it doesn't sound like it will be optimum.. I know we can train/bus but it only gets there around 12ish which won't make much sense.
latest report
Sorry I'm already over here.
ski holidays
Sorry @Timmaah, I can't help. I'm up around Sapporo!

And STILL no significant snow in this part of Hokkaido. Despite forecasts to the contrary, we've had the same warm ish tempererature and no snow that we've had for most of the week. Not a great end to a very average January.

I was at Teine again today. Took advantage of the firmer snow and clear skies to explore even more and went way out past bowls 8 and 9. Also took a line down one of the couloirs on the backside from the summit. A bit of hiking involved but worth it for something different and to get some fresh snow.

On the summit

Backcountry lunch

A couple of my friends decided it wasn't worth the effort and spent the day in the park

Forecast says snow tomorrow, but I'm not holding my breath at the moment!
snow conditions
Day 73 at Kiroro: Sunday 01 February 2015

5 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

SOMETHING BETTER CHANGE

http://youtube.com/v/4CABXRpsysE

It was a wild and windy day on the mountain but those who ventured out were rewarded with soft snow conditions on the groomed runs and powder on the ungroomed runs.

On his last day on skis this holiday Chris started to blend balancing, pivotting and edging together to enjoy smoother turns in all terrain and conditions.
ski holidays
Day 74 at Kiroro: Monday 02 February 2015

30 cm in the past 24hrs at the base of Kiroro (570m asl)

HANDS IN THE AIR

http://youtube.com/v/eElz5JtNvmA

Winter returned to Kiroro today and so did James MacKenzie.

James spent his first two days on snow at Kiroro, then days three, four and five in the Niseko Resort Area.

He was back today and has made tremendous progress, now cruising on red runs.
ski holidays
Went to Kiroro today and with the 30cm from yesterday mixed with the 30cm today got (gondola was closed yesterday).. Today was all time. Fresh lines until closing time. Faceshot galore. The usual Japow treatment.. Whilst Niseko's top was closed! Fantastic.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy