Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt/Kitzbuheler Alpen Snow Weather Report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
Thanks Sue for the benefit of your wisdom of your many years in the Alps.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@johnbarr, those are interesting stats. Every year for 10 years is, I suppose, as good as it gets. Will sort out car insurance at beginning of December as planned but will hold off Eurotunnel. Although, as Sue says, a hotel trip to the Alps over New Year is special enough that if no skiing available, the celebrations there will be a good replacement.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dougie, at the very worst you will have a car and can buy the Salzburger Super Ski pass if you need to so should be able to find somewhere to ski.
If you struggle with snow though, then so will we the week before - except we won't have a car to help us out. We're not worried though, we expect the snow to be fine.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The temperature has dropped and the freezing level is now around 1,000m. We've had light snow flurries, but more importantly, the snow cannons (at least in St Johann) were hard at it last night. Fingers crossed!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i hope that the other resorts of the area will start day - to day giving some lifts and slopes for skiing
went yesterday and today in Kitzsteinhorn.... Shocked

I go to Austria almost 12 years now for skiing. Never seen so many people....
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@johnbarr, Webcams show snow cannons at full pelt across SkiWelt and Kitzbuhel.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
i know...hopefully next weekend managed something
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi all, its starting to look good, going to Soll on the 17th Dec 2014 and webcams are showing snow Smile, hopefully there will be freezing going on, so the snow cannons can get going, I don't think we'll be able to ski down to Soll but hopefully the SkilWelt will be open at the top! Smile http://www.skiwelt.at/en/webcams.html
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
St Johann this morning seems pretty typical of the area at the moment. Natural snow cover down to the middle station, but not much below. The forecast is for much colder weather over the next week, so even if we don't have much more real snow we'll have a cover of artificial snow down to the valley pretty soon. The SkiWelt opens on Thursday - I plan to ski there on Friday and will report back.

@jackcards, I'd be surprised if you can't ski down to valley station of the gondola at Soll. Fingers crossed for you.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@jackcards, @johnbarr, we're going out to Soll on the 20th December looking forward to your reports.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Im off there on the 19th
My hands are stuck in the prayer position.
Look forward to your reports gents.
The forecast WAS for colder but now it seems to be a little warmer Puzzled Puzzled
The mini dump for Sunday coming has disappeared- still anything that can disappear can hopefully reappear?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Updated picture from St Johann showing sightly more snow and very active snow cannons.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
made a few turns today in Ellmau....3-4 slopes were open, the snow was nass...the slopes was maybe 50% bright compare to normal conditions...
ok, they made a big effort to open a few lifts and we have to admit that, but the situation is TRAGIC....we need definitely more snow...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
2 weeks today will be on the road outside Calais by now, heading for Ellmau. I feel sad for you to hear not so good at moment but, for me, a lot can happen in 2 weeks. I hope it improves for you with the bit of snow expected Tues and Wed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks Dougie...well i am back to Germany right now...this weekend i have to go to Felhorn (GER)...i am still wondering if someone could skiing but i HAVE to go, so...
at 24 i am heading to Zell am See, Saalbach etc...the conditions are also a little bit tragic but at least there is Kitzsteinhorn...i will return to SkiWelt probably late January..i hope most of the slopes will be open that time...

Puzzled
latest report
The OH is planning on buying anew swimming costume for next week's trip to Soll, which doesn't really feel right!
snow conditions
hammerite wrote:
The OH is planning on buying anew swimming costume for next week's trip to Soll, which doesn't really feel right!

Try a bigger size?
snow conditions
Laughing
snow conditions
Heading out to Kirchberg on 7 Jan...think might pack walking boots and swimming costume ... Shocked
ski holidays
I skied Kitzbuhel today for the first time this season. Having read @turms report from Ellmau I was not too hopeful, but I was pleasantly surprised. I started at the Hahnenkammbahn and, although runs to the valley were closed, the top section of 21 and the top half of runs 26 and 30 as well as most of the runs in the Pengelstein area were open.

Snow quality was good high up and slightly damp lower down, with the lower runs being covered in soft moguls by mid afternoon.

Short term forecast is showers, which will be snow on top and rain below middle stations.
latest report
@johnbarr, Great to hear. Thanks for that. If they are skiable now, I am sure they will be skiable when we get there on the 29th Dec.
ski holidays
@ johnbarr : i have skied also Kitzbühel from 10 till 13 Dec (4 days) and went to SkiWelt at 14 Dec on the way to home
i have to admit that the situtation at Kitz is far better comparing to SkiWelt.. but we must not forget that Ellmau top of the lifts is somewhere at 1.500 m ...on the other hand the most slopes in Kitz that are open, are from 1.500 m until 1.900 m altitude...
there is a kind of difference....at 10 Dec i was first time at Kitz and the snow machine produced artificial snow all day...
snow report
Had an email from Crystal... Soll will have a small area open from tomorrow, but no link over to Scheffau. Scheffau and Ellmau will be open (but will need to bus it from Soll). Crystal are organising away days to Hintertux and Kaprun for €20 per person and you'll have to organise your own lift pass.
ski holidays
hammerite wrote:
Had an email from Crystal... Soll will have a small area open from tomorrow, but no link over to Scheffau. Scheffau and Ellmau will be open (but will need to bus it from Soll). Crystal are organising away days to Hintertux and Kaprun for €20 per person and you'll have to organise your own lift pass.

If you get the AllStarCard for a week it doesn't cost much more than the SkiWelt lift pass, but also includes Kaprun, Kitzbuhel and loads of other stuff.
snow report
You don't have to go all the way to Hintertux. There is even more skiing in Mayrhofen, although at lower altitude so may be a bit slushy at times (as was yesterday and today).
snow report
@johnbarr, does the All Star card include Zillertal?

@wyspa, it's a Crystal run thing, I'm guessing they want to give people the chance of the better snow as I'm guessing the snow conditions in Mayrhofen will be very similar to that available in the Skiwelt (just a bigger area skiable).
ski holidays
@hammerite,

For detail check out: http://www.allstarcard.at/en/skigebiete-kitzbueheler-alpen-allstarcard-ski-network.html
latest report
Thanks @johnbarr, just been looking.

I think we'll just get a 5 in 7 days pass for Skiwelt and go elsewhere for the day. We'd possibly look to go and ski somewhere else for a day with normal conditions anyway as we've been to the Skiwelt before.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hammerite wrote:
@johnbarr, does the All Star card include Zillertal?

@wyspa, it's a Crystal run thing, I'm guessing they want to give people the chance of the better snow as I'm guessing the snow conditions in Mayrhofen will be very similar to that available in the Skiwelt (just a bigger area skiable).

Mayrhofen is a fair bit higher than Skiwelt as almost all skiing is over 1200m whereas Skiwelt is 650m to 1700m and that height is only on the hohe salve. From what I've seen of resorts that are open Kitz seems to be doing the best as there is a fair bit of skiing there over 1300m.

Having said that Saalbach deserve a prize for having a number of resort runs open down to 1000m, and even nursery slopes at the bottom though can't see that lasting through the early part of this week.
ski holidays
Well today I drove over Pass Thurn through Kitzbuhel to Alpbach. Even at Pass Thurn there was hardly any snow on the ground apart from that from the snow cannon. The Hahnenkamm lower slopes were green. Sad
ski holidays
I'm starting to get slightly nervous now, although it is still 3 weeks until I arrive (in St Johan). I know a lot can (and probably will) happen in 3 weeks, but that don't stop the nerves.
latest report
OK I'm a little bit further west at the moment, but went to bed and the fields outside were green. Woke up this morning and they are all white and it is still dumping down. I'm at around 700m above see level in a town, so there will be more on the slopes, especially higher up. It is due to get warmer again in the early part of the week but it just goes to show how quickly things can change here in the mountains.
ski holidays
alex_heney wrote:
I'm starting to get slightly nervous now, although it is still 3 weeks until I arrive (in St Johan). I know a lot can (and probably will) happen in 3 weeks, but that don't stop the nerves.

Forecasts still showing big freeze from around xmas day, but snow amounts sketchy. I think we have to get through the next few warm days then it should be winter.

St Johann looked horrible last year driving past from Kitzbuhel - its slopes are more generally lower down than kitzbuhel, even though they are north facing. Hopefully a lot colder by the time you go.
snow conditions
Alastair Pink wrote:
Well today I drove over Pass Thurn through Kitzbuhel to Alpbach. Even at Pass Thurn there was hardly any snow on the ground apart from that from the snow cannon. The Hahnenkamm lower slopes were green. Sad

Were green last year. The Kitzbuhel web site is interesting where they try to prove that it's getting colder over the years. Fine apart from last year where the average temp was over 5C up on normal and the warmest winter in 20 years.

Somehow though they kept the Family Strief run open, though slushy moguls at the end of the day were horrendous; it was great for a first gondola up early morning top to bottom non stop blast but after that was best left alone; ended up coming down in the gondola at the end of the day
ski holidays
buchanan101 wrote:
alex_heney wrote:

Forecasts still showing big freeze from around xmas day, but snow amounts sketchy. I think we have to get through the next few warm days then it should be winter.

St Johann looked horrible last year driving past from Kitzbuhel - its slopes are more generally lower down than kitzbuhel, even though they are north facing. Hopefully a lot colder by the time you go.

Well it's pretty certain I'll buy the allstar pass anyhow, so if the snow is better in Kitzbuhel, it is only 12 minutes (and free) on the train apparently.
ski holidays
Drops you right by the Hannenkahn lift as well.
snow conditions
It is cold and the snow machines are hard at work in St Johann tonight. But the AllStarCard is a good idea - you can also get the ski bus to Waidring or Fieberbrunn, the train to Brixen or the Post Bus to Ellmau. (The train to Kitzbuhel is free if you are in ski gear.)
snow report
johnbarr wrote:
It is cold and the snow machines are hard at work in St Johann tonight. But the AllStarCard is a good idea - you can also get the ski bus to Waidring or Fieberbrunn, the train to Brixen or the Post Bus to Ellmau. (The train to Kitzbuhel is free if you are in ski gear.)

Like the idea of putting the ski gear on just to get a free train ride.
snow conditions
i am heading the day after tomorrow to Piesendorf for Christmas and NY day...
Maybe i will try St.Johann...if it looks nice from down....
ski holidays
I skied at Leogang yesterday with snowhead espri and a friend from the UK. The new Steinbergbahn gondola whisked us to the top.

In places the snow was thin...

...but the slopes that were open were in pretty good shape until they softened up around mid-afternoon.

The forecast is now predicting colder conditions with snow down to village level on Christmas day and a bigger dump next weekend. Fingers crossed!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy