Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SkiWelt/Kitzbuheler Alpen Snow Weather Report 2014/15

Poster: A snowHead
I have started this thread even though I am Up North in England. The trouble is that I am so excited about my New Year trip to Ellmau that I can't seem to concentrate on much else! I figured if I started this thread some kind soul may keep my informed and up to date of conditions as they reach perfection by the end of December.

Please...

Anyone...?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Dougie, ha ha ... I'm off to Ellmau in Feb and was going to start this thread. You beat me to it!! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i will have some news and infos around December....
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
There will be some snow during winter
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
i hope more than last winter
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got proper hailed on up the Steinplatte a couple of weeks ago if that's of assistance, and sleeted on up the Hohe Salve and Kitzbuhlerhorn.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave of the Marmottes, Certainly whets the appetite.
turms, I hope so too. although skied in the SkiWelt a couple of days last Christmas and vast majority of runs open and decent. Only real exception was the red run down to Brixen which was shut (although this didn't stop a lot of skiers).
Kersh, Will let you know what it was like when I get back.
HutToHut, YES!!! I knew it would happen!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Dougie, I live literally just up the road on the German side of the border, the Wilder Kaiser is in my backyard so to speak. No problems skiing there last season whatsoever. The Brixen slopes suffered in the warm March, the Choralpe side was OK until season close.

Most seasons, the slopes are fine from season opening to official closing and I don't anticipate 2014/2015 being any different.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dougie, Know your excitement, fill the same way to go Mottaret this year. If you and your bunsh are good skiers remember to take the skipass for the hole area, both Kitzbühl and Skiwelt.
You will be happy about it. I stayed in Brixen some years ago, and my daughter said, why are there no mountains around here. On the Kitzbühl side there are more mountains, so if you are good skiers go for the pass for the hole area.
I think today there is even a pass for even bigger area, Samberger Sue kannst du hier helfen?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There are a variety of passes from local area to ones including the whole of the Tirol. Depends on what Dougie wants and needs. More than enough skiing for a week in the immediate area for every kind of skier to be honest. Lots of people buy the biggest possible for their week and barely scratch the surfaces of the available areas.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Samerberg Sue, Thanks. snowHead However I still prefered the larger area. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You don't need the Kitzbühel pass; the SkiWelt is plenty big enough and Westendorf has the best skiing in the area IMO anyway.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
clarky999, May be so, but the price difference is only 21 euro for 7 days. Cool
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Will be getting the All Star pass. Got to be honest, I am not a fan of the SkiWelt (cue a barrage of abuse!). I am only staying in Ellmau because the hotel we usually stay in in Kitzbuhel has shut and couldn't find another budget place other than SnowBunnies (and I won't go near there again!). Will obviously have to ski parts of the SkiWelt to get down to Brixen and will probably ski around that area for one of our 5 days. clarky999, agree about Westendorf. Love it there. Just a shame there isn't a great deal of runs. No crowds either though so that makes up for it.
Thinking about having a day on SkiJewel this year. Is the best way there to ski to Hopfgarten then get a bus?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dougie yes you can get down to Hopfgarten via Westerndorf but you will have to catch the Postbus down to Wörgl and then another up to Auffach (you need to get to that end of the Wildschonau to link across to Alpbachtal). It would probably be quicker to use the more direct slopes from Ellmau to Brixen or Westerndorf and pick up the buses there. Alternatively there is always the taxi option but no idea what it costs.
latest report
I'm not sure if Ellmau still does it but they used to do a ski show on a Tuesday night (I think) with all the ski instructors skiing in formation, on stilts on 1 ski etc.

Last time I was there there was also formation dancing in piste bashers - well worth a look.

Ellmau is a good place to stay definately livelier than some of the other places I've stayed in the ski-welt (Scheffau). Snow can be hit and miss but you can get high easily enough.
snow report
Don't overlook Going's slopes, small but surprisingly good.
ski holidays
@ Dougie : i skied only once last Winter in SkiWelt. This year i am thinking of concetrating to Kitzbühel , SkiWlet and the other smaller resorts of the area (still searching which SkiPass to buy)
ski holidays
I am back in Ellmau for the second time in Feb 2015 having visited there in jan 2013. I love it there and I love skiing resort to resort. Agree that Westendorf is an amazing area to ski and very quiet. Snow last year was crap across most of Europe in comparison to previous years so lets hope for loads of the white stuff in 2015. Dougie I can't believe you do not like the ski welt area and it is a hell of a way to ski everyday to get to Kitzbuhel (barely worthwhile). We skiied it once but got the bus there to get the full day.
latest report
mikeelsa, It may be a reasonable distance but not really that far from Ellmau. 3 or 4 runs to Brixen. Across the road and up the gondola. 3 runs to the bus stop at the bottom of the KiWest. 2 mins bus ride then up the Penglestein lift. 2 years ago, 3 of us were having a coffee at the cafe at the 3S at 10.30am when we decided to go to Ellmau. We got to Ellmau, turned around, went back to Brixen via Westondorf and still only missed the last gondola up the Penglestein by a matter of minutes.
snow report
Just to clarify having read it back: not Beixen via Westondorf. Went Brixen. Then, via Westondorf, to the bus at KiWest. Sorry that were bad grammar it was.
snow report
Bertie Wooster, were going to Ellmau this ear and looking at the weekly activities, they still have some sort of piste basher dancing display although I can't remember which evening. Never been to Ske Welt so looking forward to it!! snowHead snowHead

Kersh
snow conditions
I live in St Johann and visit the SkiWelt regularly. I'll post updates, photos etc. as soon as the season gets going. For now we have a thin covering of snow above 800m, and it's staying cold (but sunny). No sign of new snow, but hey - it's only October!

Don't forget to check out http://www.austriaskiguide.com/ and download the free guide to the area.
snow conditions
Here are a couple of pictures taken today from Ellmau golf course of the snow above Ellmau and the run back to Going village. Not yet enough to put my golf clubs away and get my skis out, but it's a start.

ski holidays
JohnBarr

Thanks for your ski guide again. It was a really useful last year as we stayed in St Johann and they had copies in our Landhaus.
Are there many changes since last year in the Schneewinkel resorts?
ski holidays
No changes at all, unfortunately. The printed version is still last year's. I may update the online version during this season, but it's really difficult to generate revenue from advert sales so I can't justify a print run. Anyone want to sponsor the ski guide? 5,000 copies printed, 4,000 distributed so far, more than 1,000 downloads.

There's a new lift in Waidring (actually, a replacement for the old, slow three-seater in a slightly different location), and the Moeseralm has been redeveloped (I had lunch there during the summer - it looks really nice). In Fieberbrunn we are waiting for the link to Hinterglemm that will be built during 2015 (finance has been secured). We had expected snow making equipment in the Eichenhof area of St Johann (the hotel there has had a major redevelopment), but last I heard the politically correct, nature loving, goodie-two-shoes brigade have scuppered that. There is also a rumour that the drag lifts in that area will be replaced by a chair lift for 2015, but it won't extend to the Kitzbuehel side of the mountain. Shame!
ski holidays
Dougie Here are a couple of pictures taken on 2nd November in Fieberbrunn (a short drive from Ellmau). The first shows that there is still snow at village level...

While the pistes have a thin covering down to the resort...

snow conditions
johnbarr wrote:

There's a new lift in Waidring (actually, a replacement for the old, slow three-seater in a slightly different location), and the Moeseralm has been redeveloped (I had lunch there during the summer - it looks really nice). !

Johnbarr, looking forward to seeing the changes in Waidring at Christmas. Is there as new restaurant near the exit to the new lift.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
johnbarr wrote:
Dougie Here are a couple of pictures taken on 2nd November in Fieberbrunn (a short drive from Ellmau). The first shows that there is still snow at village level...

While the pistes have a thin covering down to the resort...

Thanks for those pics. 8 weeks today til we leave for the Alps. So eyes on webcams and dodgy weather forecasting sites...
snow conditions
Another who will be here I. 8 weeks and really wish that Foehn would do one as it didn't play very nicely in the lead up to last years christmas ski trip. Hope it plays nicer this year. Twisted Evil
snow conditions
2waterford wrote:
johnbarr wrote:

There's a new lift in Waidring (actually, a replacement for the old, slow three-seater in a slightly different location), and the Moeseralm has been redeveloped (I had lunch there during the summer - it looks really nice). !

Johnbarr, looking forward to seeing the changes in Waidring at Christmas. Is there as new restaurant near the exit to the new lift.

There was some building activity just beyond the top chairlift station - it could be another restaurant. However, the on-line piste map doesn't show a new restaurant - but does have the new lift. The ski area opens on 6th December so I'll go and check it out as soon as I can and report back.
ski holidays
@johnbarr, thank you Very Happy
ski holidays
I skied at Kaprun this morning, it was great to be back on snow. The runs down to the Alpincenter were soft by midday, and there was no skiing below that. But pistes 4 and 5 were in good shape, and the slopes were much quieter than I would have expected for the number of people there (if that makes sense).

snow report
I skied at Kaprun again today, this time with Snowhead espri.

Conditions were slightly better than last week. The Kristallbahn chair lift was running, which opened up another couple of runs. We are still hoping that the warm Föhn wind will stay away and the first proper dump of the winter will be here sooner rather than later.
ski holidays
We're in Soll for Christmas. Second trip to the Skiwelt, looking forward to it as my first trip was only my second week skiing. Whilst I sked pretty much the whole area bar Westendorf, I'll be interested to see how much easier I find it. We won't bother with the extra bit for Kitzbuhel as we went there a couple of years ago.
snow report
I am still trying to stay patient but the first week in December is when I need to begin sorting out car insurance for extra drivers and Eurotunnel. Having only paid €50 deposit each (only 3 of us), the question is what date do I decide to sort it all or cut our losses and not go only losing our deposit rather than all costs involved in going and not skiing? Twitchy-bum time. Puzzled
ski holidays
@Dougie There are no guarantees in life, but in the 5 years that I've lived here we've had good skiing by mid-December. Ellmau's snow record is pretty good, and the whole area has great snow making equipment. I've just checked the last 10 year's snow records on the Ski Club of GB's site, and you could ski at Ellmau every year on 1st January (average 25 cm in valley, 70 cm at the top). But if there really is no snow and you have a car, you can always drive to a glacier. As I said, no guarantees - but the odds are well in your favour!
snow conditions
Dougie wrote:
I am still trying to stay patient but the first week in December is when I need to begin sorting out car insurance for extra drivers and Eurotunnel. Having only paid €50 deposit each (only 3 of us), the question is what date do I decide to sort it all or cut our losses and not go only losing our deposit rather than all costs involved in going and not skiing? Twitchy-bum time. Puzzled

If I was in your position i think i would cut my losses and cancel. We booked ours DIY and have flights and accommodation paid for and to top it off son tore hid ACL and had surgery back in October and wont be skiing. I really feel this holiday is going down swanny. This is our last family holiday courtesy of mum and dad.😨😨
ski holidays
@Dougie, if you aren't skiing until the end of December I wouldn't be too concerned by what the conditions look like in late November.
snow report
Dougie, 2waterford, I've been living out here for nearly 20 years and have spent every Christmas/New Year in the mountains since the mid 1970s (and a few less regularly before that). I have never had a Christmas where I have not been able to ski.

As nozawaonsen says, a lot can happen between now (mid-November) and the end of December! I'm still going to be spending nearly 3 weeks in lowly Austria which will be my first holiday since last March. It is a holiday where I go skiing, with the emphasis on holiday. Someone else does all the work, I just have to turn up to meals and go skiing as and when I feel like it. I won't be cancelling my hotel even if the sun shines! wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy