Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Middlesbrough Snowdome - DEAD IN THE WATER (20.1.21)

Poster: A snowHead
billb wrote:
@Peter S, however, it is most likely that a greater proportion of the population in the south go skiing on holiday as they have more disposable income generally (I say this as an estranged northerner). Fridges were proposed for Swindon and Weston-S-Mare but that seems to have died a death. The only fridge I have easy access to using is in the kitchen.

That's possibly true; and as such I'd have suggested that it gives more credence to actually building a snow dome in the south. People going on skiing once a year are also surely going to be a target demographic for trips to a fridge throughout the year.

There has constantly been talk about building a snow dome but nothing of any substance has come of it. Both Southampton and Portsmouth have been recently linked but with nothing at all resulting from it. Frosty mentions MK having a slope, but it's 2 hours north of me at best and really not a viable option (and not actually in the south in any case, but that's another fruitless debate entirely).

Southampton does have a dry slope but its very short and really not great. Aside from that there's nothing else within 60-90 minutes drive that is worthwhile. A definite gap in the market, I'd have thought.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can assure you that MK and Hemel are very much in the South of the UK, and England.

They just ain't in your bit of the South.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
billb wrote:
@Peter S, however, it is most likely that a greater proportion of the population in the south go skiing on holiday as they have more disposable income generally (I say this as an estranged northerner). Fridges were proposed for Swindon and Weston-S-Mare but that seems to have died a death. The only fridge I have easy access to using is in the kitchen.

In Gloucester, we do have the longest dry slope in England and Wales - I used to take students there many moons ago (the one Eddie Edwards used). Also took them to a dry slope near Bristol airport where I had my best lesson ever from an instructor called Chris.

he's still there, recovering from a broken leg courtesy of an excited 'learner' Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Im sure there will be more skiers in the south. There are tens of millions more people living there. Whether there is a higher proportion that go skiing however may be less clear. People tend to take advantage of the facilities to hand so there will be higher than average proportions of climbers, fell runners and perhaps mountain bike trail riders up here but perhaps lower proportions of tennis players and perhaps gym enthusiasts Puzzled
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Since when was Milton Keynes in the North?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
iskar wrote:

he's still there, recovering from a broken leg courtesy of an excited 'learner' Very Happy

Oh dear, hope he recovers soon . Shocked
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Dav, @Peter S, millions in the south east but not so many in the south west which I guess limits opportunities/ viability for leisure complexes e.g. there is no decent concert hall/ performance venue of any size in Bristol. Nearest is in Cardiff over the Severn bridge. The nearest snow dome is at Tamworth, about 100 miles. Never been (to that one or any other).
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hells Bells wrote:
Since when was Milton Keynes in the North?

I was always told that anything above Watford counted as the North.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@foxtrotzulu,
That's a little harsh. I'd class Oxford as still in the Midlands.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Map, ruler, calculator.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Any news on this?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Middlesbrough is in the south Midlands, if you take a UK perspective Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Peter S, Yep, definitely south of the centre of Britain,whichever claimant to that title you choose.
And still far too eastwards. We need another dome somewhere between Manchester and Glasgow. We're getting Lake District airport: how about Lake District year-round snow centre too?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@carsey, building is scheduled to start once the access bridge in front of the Riverside Stadium is finished
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/riverside-bridge-scheme-how-works-14534932
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Grizzler wrote:

And still far too eastwards. We need another dome somewhere between Manchester and Glasgow. We're getting Lake District airport: how about Lake District year-round snow centre too?

The trouble is they need to invent electricity first. You can't keep snow cold by burning coal.
snow conditions
dp wrote:
You can't keep snow cold by burning coal.

Yes you can
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator
latest report
Andybag wrote:
@carsey, building is scheduled to start once the access bridge in front of the Riverside Stadium is finished
https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/news/teesside-news/riverside-bridge-scheme-how-works-14534932

Hopefully Middlehaven will now get fully developed. It could be stunning down there. I didn't realise the old footbridge was gone, until I tried to cycle over it a few weeks ago
snow conditions
@betterinblack, wow, so you can. there is hope for a snowdome in the Lake District after all.
snow report
Weighing in on the year old north/south discussion; anything above Tiverton is the north....anything West of the Tamar is ‘abroad’ and thus full of dodgy foreigners.
snow conditions
Quote:

by burning coal.

Coal in the Lake District ? Wrong geology i'm afraid. There are proposals looking at Coal extraction from the deep Solway coalfield north of the Lake District and the west Cumbrian coalfield also nearby, but not really in the Lake District. snowHead
ski holidays
Watford Gap Services (note: not actual Watford) is where the north begins. And that's final.

Anything east of the Tamar is "up country" and "filled with bl00dy emmets" as far as I'm concerned anyway (I grew up in Cornwall!)

I currently live in Hemel and I have to admit to being a bit baffled that we're often classified as "East of England". To me, that suggests Norfolk and so on. South, yes. South East, yes. East? No, that would mean we were either a really long way over to the right, or above the Watford Gap Services.
snow report
sparklies wrote:
Anything east of the Tamar is "up country" and "filled with bl00dy emmets" as far as I'm concerned anyway (I grew up in Cornwall!)

See, foreign. What the hell is an emmet? Them's grockles NehNeh
snow conditions
Anything South of Newark is soft
latest report
Bah incorrect Eastism. Anything sarf of Warrington is soft.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

The correct word is intelligent.
latest report
Need thermals for anywhere north of Bristol, London queues start at Stonehenge just so both grockles and emmets can gaze in wonder at a pile of stones that have been moved, rearranged and re-erected from Victorian times until the sixties. Devon and Cornwall can't agree which goes on a scone first, clotted cream or jam. Don't get me started on why we should pay to cross the Severn Bridge to get into Wales. rolling eyes
latest report
SnoodlesMcFlude wrote:
Frosty the Snowman wrote:

The correct word is intelligent.

Poor air quality, traffic, cost of living, quality of life.... not that bright then Laughing
snow report
I was born in Exeter (Devon!) and raised in Cornwall. My scones (with an "oh" sound..! sorry about that can of worms..) have cream first then jam on one side, and jam first then cream on the other. Best of both worlds!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Milton Keynes is really stuck in no mans land. Regionally it has no identity. When you get those maps showing the regions, it sits right in the middle of the South East, East and Midlands regions. Officially it's in the South East but it's a little blob in the far north east corner and a unitary authority. It's 50 miles from London 50 miles from Birmingham, 50 from Cambridge and 40 from Oxford. Northampton 20 miles to the North is definitely in the Midlands and Bedford 18 miles to the East is definitely in the East.
latest report
Timc wrote:
Devon and Cornwall can't agree which goes on a scone first, clotted cream or jam.

We know perfectly well, it's the Cornish that can't agree...just like it's the Cornish who think they invented the pasty rolling eyes
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Coal in the Lake District ? Wrong geology i'm afraid. There are proposals looking at Coal extraction from the deep Solway coalfield north of the Lake District and the west Cumbrian coalfield also nearby, but not really in the Lake District. snowHead

Nah, they take it all out of the Northumberland side instead Sad
ski holidays
Pretty much everywhere in the UK outside London looks like a postindustrial wasteland, whether south, north, east or west.

Was briefly in Oxford last year. Bar a few old buildings, what a sh*thole!
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Pretty much everywhere in the UK outside London looks like a postindustrial wasteland, whether south, north, east or west.

Interesting. Have you been to pretty much everywhere in the UK?
ski holidays
@Thesixquidman, oh don't even bother
snow report
Whitegold wrote:

Strongly disagree. Much of London looks like a post industrial wasteland too.
latest report
Problem is making money with these Fridges. They cost a fortune to put up and run and the key question is will it be sustainable in Middlesborough.
The Chill FactorE in Manchester has struggled to make money so whether it is viable is another question entirely!
snow report
I think they have all the car factories up there somewhere, so there is presumably a customer base there. Oh, wait..
latest report
There is one car factory, Nissan, in Sunderland, no others. Not sure what car factories have to do with skiing though.
snow conditions
Gavin14774 wrote:
Not sure what car factories have to do with skiing though.

It was a suggestion that maybe there won't be a car factory in the region for much longer so people wouldn't be able to afford to go skiing. I guess they will be able to switch to working in the fishing industry when that starts to boom.
snow conditions
Why would there not be a car factory? Nissan have moved production of models from Japan to Sunderland.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy