Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Avoriaz.... Local ski pass?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Thinking of booking a week in Avoriaz (one skier, one boarder) and the price difference between local and full area is quite high. Is anyone able to pass comment on how good/vast the local area is? Presumably a day pass for the wider area could be bought too?

Also... I assume the local pass would never leave you in a position of being stranded and not being able to get back to the village due to restricted lift access?

Repeating runs is not an issue, skied mostly small areas in the past (levi fell in Finland) so not the type to roam out long distances anyway....

Views appreciated
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If local means Avoriaz 1800 only, you might find it a bit limited. Looks big on a map, but its actually reasonably dense, without a massive height differential.

Local Avoriaz/morzine/les gets covers more, enough for a cruising week with a few later mornings and early afternoons, but you would need to look at the logistics of moving between areas. From AVO, its its a run down to prodains, take the 15 minute every 15 minutes bus to pleney morzine and go from there. Avoid super morzine with a boarder, too much potential to lose time walking.

The full area is great, Chatel links are improving for this season, Switzerland has some gems, and no bother with being stuck where you don't want. All the limit points between areas are signposted, but can be missed in the melee of exiting lifts etc.

Not sure on day upgrades, its possible in various guises with a season pass, possibly not for a week. Would advise saving that little bit harder and getting the full pass, its worth it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would say full pass too but as minimum Avoriaz n Chatel unless end of season
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
scorpio21, I think you might find it a shame to be in Avoriaz and then not hopping over to Chatel side and also to Switzerland as all right there for you. Not sure if you can get Avoriaz/Chatel - I know that was available right at the start of the season, when Switzerland links not open but only for that first week.
If I was staying in Avoriaz and had all of that, and also Chatel and Switzerland then I am not sure I would go trekking off to Morzine and Les Gets. Some of the lifts on the Super Morzine side are being upgraded this year, we saw new pylons in there yesterday - but appreciate that you have a boarder.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I agree with Pamski and don't think that it is generally possible to get an Avoriaz/Chatel pass, shame as that's what I'd get for the majority of the time Laughing

However the Avoriaz only pass says it covers 45 lifts and 49 pistes so for someone on a budget who is used to skiing smallresorts such as Levi then I think it would suffice very well snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Unfortunately in the PdS there are a myriad of passes available and what's on offer differs depending on which resort company you buy it from. There are also workers passes and residents passes covering areas that aren't on offer to holiday-makers (e.g. the three resorts of Avo + Morzine + Les Gets). None of that helps at all, but at least you'll know why you might get different answers depending where people are 'based'.

And it gets stranger still on the slopes... Skiing off piste with a colleague last season, we accidentally dropped down to a lift under the control of Les Crosets, roughly 20 to 30m away from one under the control of Avoriaz. Ok, so we made a mistake. Except that my colleague was fine here because access was included on her monthly Avoriaz-only workers pass, but it wasn't included on my (more expensive!) season-long Avoriaz + Morzine + Les Get workers pass. The lifty looked like he was very used to it and told me to just follow the well-worn tracks around the barrier...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the tips.....finally found a piste map of just Avoriaz and a price list for day passes for the whole PdS area.
Plunge now taken, holiday booked and access all areas sorted!!!!
So excited Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the tips.....finally found a piste map of just Avoriaz and a price list for day passes for the whole PdS area.
Plunge now taken, holiday booked and access all areas sorted!!!!
So excited Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thought I would follow up with my findings as it may be useful to others pondering the same..... We bought full access passes and I'm glad we did, although we didn't go out of the local area!

The poor visibility meant the first two days were limited so by the time we had found our way in the local area and repeated our favourite runs, the week had ended. Also we had a lazy week, probably only skiing 4/5 hours a day. In different circumstances, like setting out early, skiing the whole PdS and returning for evening meal, the whole area pass would be well used....

So 2016 return visit now booked and this time we have just opted for the local pass.....it suits our relaxed way for now. Getting excited already!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy