Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are bindings changeable?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm in the process of sorting out my first set of skis. One thing I'm unsure about is the bindings. In the first instance, I'm thinking of getting some fairly standard Salomon ones (they seem to turn up on hire skis quite often). What I'd like to know is, how permanent is this decision? The fact that skis have to be drilled to fit them suggests that I might not be able to change my mind later. Do I have to get this right first time?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Why would you want to change them later? They'll probably outlast the skis anyway, so you might be better going with a better set and moving them onto your new skis in the future.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I guess it's just dawned on me that I have choice and hence have to choose. Knowing if I can change my mind later might influence my approach there.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes they can be changed. It's no big deal. If the skis need to be drilled, then you might not want to do it very often, but once or twice is fine.

Indeed, many skis have pre-drilled plates to accept certain bindings, in which case it's even easier to switch them around, as long as you stick with compatible bindings.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My off piste skis have had two sets of bindings and are still going strong after 7 years. As long as the holes are 10mm apart you'll be fine.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Since I was getting the impression that changing bindings can be done but not too often, I had a look round and got a set of last year's Rossignol Axial 2s. Nice and chunky, they seem like they should last me a while.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mywall, oh dear... Shocked
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have owned many pairs of skis and never felt the need to change a set of bindings. If you change skis you will probably want to sell your old ones and you may as well sell them with bindings.

Basically you are worrying about a non-problem.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hyperkub, Not if you plan to later switch to a freeride / touring binding.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sure, or telemark, whatever. But that's making an uncomplicated question complicated to no great purpose. I don't think conversion to touring bindings is what happens to 99% of skis with downhill bindings. A "first pair of skis" is hardly likely to be great for touring and new skis+bindings would be a more natural progression.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
hyperkub, Yup, that is much more likely.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mywall, I got a cheap deal once because some guy had specced a ski and binding combo but then didn't collect. I had touring bindings put on. Fast forward several years, having not done any touring with them, only downhill, the binding broke. So I bought some downhill bindings off ebay but when I took them to a shop they didn't want to fit them because it would be third drilling and they thought it would weaken the ski and make them dangerous. Make of that what you will.

On another slant, from what I've read there isn't too much difference in performance between different bindings. So it's unlikely you willl want to or need to "upgrade".

So the ultimately answer to your question is no it's not permanent, you don't have to get it right first time but it's unlikely to be an issue anyhow.

Oh, and having one binding taken off and another one put on is an expense you of course would want to avoid if at all possible.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As a cheapskate who buys secondhand I am probably wrong (as usual Madeye-Smiley but why buy separate skis/bindings? Apart from race skis and wide powder planks, the standard deals for all mountain/piste skis always seem to be the makers compatible binding supplied as a package with the ski. Is it really worth the hassle of changing? I ask in interest just in case I ever buy new.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy