Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jackson Hole or Teton Village?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Ski Gurus,

We're planning a ski holiday over Christmas this year, 2014 to Jackson Hole. We're a young couple with no kids and not sure if we should stay in Teton Village or Jackson Town? We'll be skiing pretty much every day and hoping to enjoy some night life and hopefully a glimpse of Santa Smile
If any of you have recommendations for accommodation we'd greatly appreciate your knowledge of the area!

Can't wait to hear back and thanks in advance of any replies!

Louise Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm jealous! We've been several times and always stayed in town, there is not a great deal of nightlife in either place although you can seek it out. Really only the Mangy Moose at Teton Village, which is a great place for après and can carry on, although there are another couple of smaller bars. Cowboy Bar in town is lively on Fri/Sat, don't get too lively though, they will throw you out! Silver Dollar Bar has live music, Snake River Brewing Company is good for food and beer, couple more locals bars in town. We stayed at the Lodge at Jackson, really good value we thought. Free shuttle to and from Teton, $3 on the town bus if you miss it. The skiing was the best I've known it there last season, make sure you do the day trip to Grand Targhee, it could be the best powder you've seen.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We stayed at HostelX at the bottom of the lifts , a fantastic location , it has been there for years and now the land must be worth a fortune , it is surrounded by many upmarket places .
It is clean and warm with large communal areas , but rather basic.
It is close enough to go back for lunch .
One of the staff there was fixing bindings onto water skis , he was planning on being the first one down Corbetts on them .
Corbetts was closed the week we were there , I think they were saving it for some event the following week .
We only went to the town once , not that impressed.
We flew Manchester to salt Lake City and had a week skiing there ,staying on the edge of town ,loads of resorts to go to and all connected by the skibus. Ski pass included in some hotel deals.
we had also booked very cheep flights from salt lake up to Jackson Hole and had 10 days there as the airports got snowed in !
Have fun.
Ian.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Silly semantics..........................

Jackson Hole IS Teton Village. The toddling little bare bones town of Jackson (if you even call it that) is about 10/15 minutes away by car or shuttle and neither have much nightlife so, from the standpoint of ease - convey, staying in Teton Village saves a lot of "wear and tear" and is the way to go sans car!!! I mean, why have to crank up the old rental jalopy in the a.m. (hopefully covered with new snow and in a snowstorm), drive to Jackson Hole, change out, hump your stuff further and the like and then reverse the process in the p.m., when instead you can just roll out of your slopeside or near slopeside hotel on to the slopes and reverse it later.........? A number of nice/acceptable places to stay in the village (or town if you insist) exist, let your own discrimination be the best deciding factor. The residents/locals are easy going, simple. No fanfare, no fancy dressers. Just a distant ski resort within an agricultural valley with no frills, the basics, good skiing, simple food. It's also a thankfully conservative region of the former United States, today Obamastan, fortunately not lost to the pernicious throes of Communism (liberalsim).

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 12-09-14 19:16; edited 2 times in total
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
equinoxranch, I name the UStanton
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
equinoxranch wrote:
The residents/locals are easy going, simple. No fanfare, no fancy dressers.

My impression was a little different; of billionaire oil baron ranch owners and dude ranchers. Many more were sitting on real estate fortunes. The "poor" folk live over the hill in Idaho, ski Grand Targhee and have a great quality of life. The folk were in fancy dress - cowboy hats. Fortunately not all myopic rednecks.

I can recommend staying at “The Lodge at Jackson Hole”, locally known as “The Bears” . A free shuttle to Teton Village is convenient and you are entertained by the driver who points out any wildlife by the road, tells you the history of the Hole and forces you to sing along.
refer to my trip report:
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=109638
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Agree with Lechbob, regarding The lodge - its easy, great rooms and fab breakfast to set you up all day. Shuttle is convenient and hassle free - we drove each day Toofy Grin It has increased prices somewhat though.

Heading back there again next Feb during our trip over. Staying elsewhere though Madeye-Smiley

Agree about Targhee - well worth it especially if its had fresh snow, it tends to hold it better than Jackson, and less folks.

Teton Village will give you the edge on lift lines, on powder days wink Don't think it has too much in the way of night life. The town is fairly low key too but can get lively at times, when the cowboys roll in Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stay in the 'town' otherwise you will get too bored in the evening. Jackson isn't that big but at least there's a choice and the drive is nothing. Also as others have pointed out, Grand Targhee. Had one of the best days skiing of my life. Fantastic snow without the crowds.

We stayed in from memory Buffalo Bill lodge or something. Reasonable motel style place and as Jackson is small easily walkable. Never skied the local place but it looked steep, if glassy.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
neilll wrote:
equinoxranch, I name the UStanton

+1

That is, if this isn't just another name stanton changed to.

In any case, sweeping into the same ignored bin to keep stanton company! Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nutter.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi All,
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question! We have decided to stay at the Teton Lodge and Spa so we can roll out of bed and roll out onto the newly groomed slopes 😊.

Thanks again for the advice and top tips! If you have any more keep them coming 😍
Louise
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Loubelou, We stayed in the town at the Wolf Moon Inn. Budget accommodation but very good for the money. I'd recommend it and we'd go back there.

Oh! I've just spotted that you've already made your mind up to stay at the slopes. Good choice for the skiing but I'd recommend taking the bus to the town to eat out. Despite what others say, we loved the town. It had a nice feel to it and we thought the restaurants, bars and shops were very good. It was a few years ago that we were there but (for what it's worth) the Merry Piglets was an excellent Mexican restaurant. And the Silver Dollar Saloon served good pub grub in a good atmosphere. The bison burgers were great!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Bergmeister, thanks for your reply and advice. We're planning on venturing into the town quite a bit and looking forward to trying out the various restaurants and now in particular the Merry Piglets 😄
Cant't wait for the holidays!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Loubelou, Jackson is one of my absolute favourite places to ski. We've always stayed in town (2 very happy trips at the Lodge recommended by others above) because Jackson town is full of character and has a pretty unique Western ambience that we love.

If you do head into town, make sure that you visit the Snake River Brewery - it's ridiculously busy but has some great pizza and even better beer. There are loads of good places to eat, but that place became our family favourite by a big margin.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy