Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OH Finally Gives In!

Poster: A snowHead
AthersT, as no one has mentioned this and you have a choice of when to go I would suggest March as the better option. The days are longer, warmer and there is a better chance of sunshine. I would probably go to Austria for all the above reasons, but dont discount big resorts like Morzine/Le Gets with easy access to beginner slopes and english speaking instructors and with 1 hour transfer from Geneva airport.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've yet to come across the 1 hour transfer to Morzine; more like 2 hours.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
madlondoner, not sure how long the bus takes but when i do the occasional airport run that takes about an hour. I can make BourgSt Maurice in 2!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB wrote:
Is there a thermal baths in Obergurgl ?

No idea, but the OP asked for a place with spa facilities and there's plenty of those.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Just go to Zell am see.

-spa in Kaprun next town along
-pretty town with loads going on
-decent bars
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
There's the Aquadome just down the valley in Langenfeld, which is probably the best 'wellness centre'/spa in Austria...

Yes I know but even in a car it takes around 30 mins -
http://goo.gl/maps/aUuks

Is public transport good between Obergurgl and Langenfeld?

Whilst not a thermal bath one of the hotels at the start of Obergurgl has a very nice spa, and small outdoor swimming pool.

Aquadome in Langenfeld is doable but it is 50mins away on the bus, then a 5-10min walk so if you only want a hour or so not great.[/img]
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you go to Soldeu you can take a day off to go to Andorra La Vella and visit the Caldea Spa there.

The Ski School in Soldeu is arguably one of the best in Europe and I agree with Handy Turnip about the Blue runs that are available to beginners
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB wrote:
clarky999 wrote:
There's the Aquadome just down the valley in Langenfeld, which is probably the best 'wellness centre'/spa in Austria...

Yes I know but even in a car it takes around 30 mins -
http://goo.gl/maps/aUuks

Is public transport good between Obergurgl and Langenfeld?

No idea, sorry! I've only day-tripped with the car from Innsbruck before.

It does also have a hotel, though given the standard of the main wellness centre I would assume it is both amazing and expensive... Though that could get plus points for the OP wink I know that they do free transfers everyday to Obergurgl and Sölden too, so if the budget stretches it could be an ideal option... I don't think there's much in the way of apres in Langengeld though, but I could be wrong.

The only problem is the Aquadome is so awesome it might be difficult to drag yourselves off to the slopes! I could honestly spend a week in that place!

Seriously though, if anyone reading this ends up in Ötztal at some point, it's pretty hard to be beat a day skiing powder at Obergurgl then an evening (it's open 'til pretty late) relaxing and eating (the in-Spa restaurant is also excellent) at the Aquadome. Highly reccommended.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Good news the OH has been so excited she has booked herself a course of lessons. I believe starting next week and, I've now got a reservation for New Year week (27th-3rd) for Zell am See.

We were planning on going in Jan/March but the OH is unsure of time-off with her new job and as she will be off anyway at this time we thought this would be something fun and different to do for NY. Plus if she loves it, there will be more opportunities to go after during the season (fingers crossed).

Zell fitted with the requirements pretty well and was reasonably priced too. Only 350 Euro for a Self Catering apartment in the centre found through the tourist board. Flights are now at the extortionate end of the price scale, so giving them a miss and have got a cheapish eurotunnel ticket. We will be able to explore other nearby resorts/activities if we want.

Only thing to do now is pray for lots of early season snow to insure she is captivated by place when we arrive. Thanks for all the help.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AthersT, congrats hope it all goes well for you
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
AthersT wrote:
Good news the OH has been so excited she has booked herself a course of lessons. I believe starting next week and, I've now got a reservation for New Year week (27th-3rd) for Zell am See.

We were planning on going in Jan/March but the OH is unsure of time-off with her new job and as she will be off anyway at this time we thought this would be something fun and different to do for NY. Plus if she loves it, there will be more opportunities to go after during the season (fingers crossed).

Zell fitted with the requirements pretty well and was reasonably priced too. Only 350 Euro for a Self Catering apartment in the centre found through the tourist board. Flights are now at the extortionate end of the price scale, so giving them a miss and have got a cheapish eurotunnel ticket. We will be able to explore other nearby resorts/activities if we want.

Only thing to do now is pray for lots of early season snow to insure she is captivated by place when we arrive. Thanks for all the help.

For variety, get her up on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (5 min by free local bus); it has some of the widest, easiest blues anywhere I've ever seen.

I would avoid the Maiskogel (Kaprun - can be a bit icy, also not that interesting), or at least put Zell and the Kitz first.

Hope she enjoys it!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
For variety, get her up on the Kitzsteinhorn glacier (5 min by free local bus); it has some of the widest, easiest blues anywhere I've ever seen.

I would avoid the Maiskogel (Kaprun - can be a bit icy, also not that interesting), or at least put Zell and the Kitz first.

Hope she enjoys it!

We definitely will, she's a Geology/Geography geek so the opportunity to go and ski on a Glacier will be high on her list anyway!
Hoping to maybe have 3 days of ski school then 3 days free to do what we like. All depends on how quickly she picks things up with her lessons here. Might consider getting the SuperSalzburger pass and visit Saalbach/Hinterglemm, Maria Alm or Kitzbuhel depends on the snow cover really.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is also a short film about the glacier at the top of the Kitz glacier and the silver service has very nice food.

Also a nice high viewing platform too.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
The good thing about getting a flight is that Zell am see is on one of the main cross country train routes. You get on a 20min tram ride to the train station and then a 2 hour train journey through the Austrian countryside to Zell. It will be a great place to be on new year's eve as it's reasonably big and therefore lots going on. There's a couple of great cafes there serving amazing cakes.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Unless you have unlimited patience and a strong relationship try and avoid self teaching. Even if you are an instructor, it can be done of course but think car driving lessons ?

If you choose snowboard share private lessons for first two or three days, its far less painful except on the wallet, if ski, group should be ok.

As for resort, there's so many to choose from.
ski holidays
hsdee wrote:
Unless you have unlimited patience and a strong relationship try and avoid self teaching. Even if you are an instructor, it can be done of course but think car driving lessons ?

If you choose snowboard share private lessons for first two or three days, its far less painful except on the wallet, if ski, group should be ok.

As for resort, there's so many to choose from.

Totally agree, that's why she will be going to Ski School whereas I'm learning to Snowboard - that's gonna be the arrangement for the first half of the week then we will see. Might be able to ski/board together then.
We are both aiming for around 10 hours of lessons before we get there also. Also considering morning lessons all week then skiing together in the afternoons after meeting for lunch - new years day might be different tho! Cool
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy