Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OH Finally Gives In!

Poster: A snowHead
Only 6 weeks ago my OH at the age of 24 finally learnt to ride a bike and is loving it, this is after a couple of years of quiet suggestion.
She wishes she would of learnt years ago, so you can imagine how surprised I was when yesterday she said to me whilst I was looking for a winter holiday, "I want to learn to Ski or Snowboard".

So I am now looking for somewhere for this winter (Jan or March) with the wish list:
    Good for learning to Ski or Snowboard, Good Ski/Board School (english speaking?) Things to do for non skiers (in case she decides she needs a day off), Good Spa facilities (her request), some Apres (restaurants/bars)

Will think about budget after reading any suggestions. I will probably learn to snowboard with her, so it's something we can do together.
I apologise if this has been posted before - I did search but didn't find what I was looking for.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obergurgl fits the bill and has plenty of English speaking (and British) instruction I believe.
(Certainly last time we went there my kids were with an English guy, and there were stacks more of them around.)
A bit cheaper than France and the slopes are very untaxing, so good for a beginner.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megève might be another one to look at - lots to do off the slopes, easy skiing, plenty of instruction in English.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Get her skiing before you go, whether it be dry slope or snowdome. She will enjoy it more when you get on hols and she will have gotten all the painful bits out of the way! Happy

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 11-09-14 9:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Learning to snowboard together sounds good. If you decide on France the second week of March would be ideal - after the school holidays are finished. The learning curve with snowboarding is steep - and painful unless you are uncommonly gifted. Some lessons in a snowdome (they do "learn in a day" courses which are practical if you live a long way away, but will leave you knackered and bruised). One advantage of a "learn in a day" course is that you would know by the end whether it was something you wanted to continue with!

A key thing with learning is group size. Maximum 6 is a good thing to aim for. The British school (BASS) in Megeve has had some good reports on here but Megeve is a very sophisticated and pretty pricey resort - lots of Michelin starred restaurants and shops selling gorgeous clothes with no prices on. It's also not the most convenient, but if you are snowboarding, walking around in your boots is bliss compared to doing it in ski boots. I think Obergurgl is quite expensive too, in Austrian terms - and in early March you shouldn't need high altitude to get good skiing.

A lot depends on your budget and on the type of accommodation you want. If you like hotels, Austrian resorts generally have more choice. France has more catered chalets and self-catering options. Travel, accommodation, ski pass and lessons are much the same in both countries but Austria is cheaper for mountain restaurants and bars.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Another thought - for snowboarding I would recommend a British instructor because a lot of the French ones seem to be skiers who have just "picked up" snowboarding (no idea whether the same is true of Austrian ones). Too much steering with the shoulders, rather than the feet, goes on. But for skiing, you need a good instructor in a small group - whether British, French or Austrian is less important.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Get here skiing before you go, whether it be dry slope or snowdome. She will enjoy it more when you get on hols and she will have gotten all the painful bits out of the way!

+1 you can always learn more while your there but you can enjoy it more
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, As Pam says

I put My OH through the 3 week course at Tamworth recently. If you pick at sat or sunday evening there is only 1 or 2 other people on the course and the sloipe is really quiet!! She came on leaps and bounds, but yes she was knackered by the end of it!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks. I'm pretty sure we will have a few hours before we go just to make sure that she enjoys it.
Yeah I was kind of thinking that with something like snowboarding a Brit instructor would be handy especially if there is a communication barrier plus would also help her feel more comfortable with being able to fully understand instruction. I was hoping for Austria or Italy really but could be influenced to look elsewhere. Does anyone know of any Brit Snowboarding schools in Austria or Italy? Possibly a smaller resort might suit with quieter slopes and less people in the lessons.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
On the other hand I'm not sure lessons together are good - I tried to teach her to ride the bike and we clashed alot lol - so in the end she was taught by a professional cyclist (with no emotional attachment) through the Cycle Derby scheme run by the council and she was riding by the end of the first lesson!

I like the sound of the 3 week course PaulC1984, as it's only half hour down the A38 from me - was that a series of lessons booked or an offer of some sort?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is there a thermal baths in Obergurgl ?

Bad Gastein / Bad Hofgastein.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Aosta valley should be on your radar - Courmayeur is lovely. Compact, pretty, spa resorts in the valley.

Gastein valley also a good suggestion
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AthersT, the three week course is a series of 2 hour lessons. Because it was so quiet by the end of week 2 OH was going from the top. It was well worth taking out the membership as it reduced the cost of the lesson and you get 10% off at EB, free list pass etc
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DB wrote:

There are plenty of hotels with very good spa facilities.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
capstone wrote:
Quote:

Get here skiing before you go, whether it be dry slope or snowdome. She will enjoy it more when you get on hols and she will have gotten all the painful bits out of the way!

+1 you can always learn more while your there but you can enjoy it more

+1, drag her over to the chill factore in Manchester for a days beginner lesson.

My wife learnt more in 1 day then she did on her 1st week in france
snow report
kiteman69, I will do that or the Snowdome.

What are people's thoughts on Iceland? Any one been? - from my limited knowledge, would be plenty to do and see away from the slopes, obvs top notch spa's and thermal baths etc. As a beginner boarder would it be engaging enough or is it really too limited.
latest report
If you fancy further afield. I learnt in Banff in Canada. Instruction was fantastic and there is tonnes to do if she doesn't fancy skiing.
snow report
AthersT, Iceland - the user meh on this forum lives and skis there, could try PM'ing him. I'm not sure how suitable it would be for a week's skiing booked months in advance given it gets some severe atlantic storms coming through and has similar problems to Scotland in that it's close to the sea so you can get rapid thaws (happy to be told otherwise by someone who knows more though!).
snow conditions
GET HER SKI LESSON NOT SNOWBOARD - (unless she was a skater as a kid) - having tought both and seen so many put off snowboarding by pain.

Yes you can learn to snowboard (the basics) quicker than skiing (unless you have rollerblading or ice skating) but you can learn to ski without pain - learning to snowboard invloves pain - put it this way, at uni, the likelhood of going to casualty in the first hour of skiing was <1% but in snowboarding it was 15 - 25 % - ok dryslopes are tough compared to a snowdome.

If she learns the basics of skiing and then would like to snowboard the switch is easy, the reverse is very hard.

Learning a bit about skiing in a Snowdome before you go is a GREAT idea

As for resorts I'd follow the recomendations of Megeve, Banff or Austria - Courmayeur I would leave for a 2nd trip, the runs are not great for an absolute beginner.
snow conditions
ansta1 wrote:
DB wrote:

I find a spa facility is ok for a couple of hours after skiing but would want a proper thermal baths for longer periods.
snow report
DB wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
DB wrote:

I find a spa facility is ok for a couple of hours after skiing but would want a proper thermal baths for longer periods.

There's the Aquadome just down the valley in Langenfeld, which is probably the best 'wellness centre'/spa in Austria...
snow conditions
clarky999 wrote:
There's the Aquadome just down the valley in Langenfeld, which is probably the best 'wellness centre'/spa in Austria...

Yes I know but even in a car it takes around 30 mins -
http://goo.gl/maps/aUuks

Is public transport good between Obergurgl and Langenfeld?
snow conditions
Despite me owning an apartment in France AthersT, I'd say if you want to convert Mrs AT to snowsports for life:

1. Go to Austria. The ambience is unbeatable for a first timer - a non-skiers' (or boarders') vision of a ski resort is more likely to be a village that looks like Obergurgl or Alpbach, rather than Tignes or Flaine. And the apres ski atmosphere of Austria is just wonderful.
2. Go to somewhere with snow at resort level - eg Obergurgl, Obertauern or Kuhtai (though you will need to research whether all fit the bill regarding your non-skiing criteria).

In late 1992, as a skier of a few seasons, I proposed (er going skiing to Obergurgl Laughing !) to my then girlfriend of two months (who had been on two school ski trips 20 years before) - and we've happily never looked back since. Very Happy

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Thu 11-09-14 21:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
We went to Obergurgl last year and there's a bus along to Hochgurgl that goes along again to Solden. We used it, was busy but fairly efficient. It meant the non skier in the group could meet up with us in various places for lunch. Mountain ambience was lovely in Austria (although that may have been the Aperol?)
snow conditions
I went to Soldeu in Andorra for my first time, and I'd definitely recommend it! The ski instructors are British, which makes such a difference when you're an absolute beginner, not only from a communication point of view but just from a banter perspective. It can be frustrating to learn so having a laugh with all the instructors really makes the experience enjoyable.

Plus the slopes are well groomed and there's plenty of beginner friendly blues that give you that feeling that you're skiing the whole mountain rather than just being stuck on the nursery slopes. The snow making is excellent plus it has a good reputation for sun and blue skies (though obviously not guaranteed!).

Lots of decent bars for apres ski. There's not huge amounts for non-skiers to do but if you pick a hotel with a spa (such as Piolets Park & Spa) then at least there's that option for the OH.
latest report
AthersT, but you could already ride a bike, so were "teaching" her. Not a good idea and skiing could end up the same, even if she has lessons, you won't be able to stop yourself. At snowboarding you'll both be beginners and she might pick it up faster than you do. However, I agree with Idris that snowboarding is painful - not that I'd ever have the nerve to try it on a dry slope. If your GF is - not to put too fine a point on it - a wimp, then don't go there but don't interfere with her skiing and promise not to take her on any slope she has not skied with her instructor.
ski holidays
I'm in the process of checking interest in a trip that would probably suit - well I hope so as it's designed for this circumstance Shocked
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=112021

All the bashes are very friendly and inclusive but tend to be made up of people who can already ski/board - even if they've just a week or two under their belts.
The idea this time is to get together a bash that's specifically suitable for snowHeads who are just starting out. After all, it's always nicer learning with friends.

We've got lessons, ski-hire, lift pass all included in twin deals for beginners or snowHeads who already ski.
This way, everyone's got company, doing their own thing at their own pace and no-one feels like they're holding anyone up yet we're also all in the same place for lunches and pootling around together - I'm sure you get the point snowHead
latest report
Zell am see/Saalbach? There's a spa in Kaprun that's meant to be good.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999 wrote:
DB wrote:
ansta1 wrote:
DB wrote:

I agree with this and I reckon she would prefer this too!
ski holidays
AthersT, Åre in Sweden is good, great ski school (Skistar) and there is a lot to do if you need a change.
ski holidays
mountainaddict wrote:
Despite me owning an apartment in France AthersT, I'd say if you want to convert Mrs AT to snowsports for life:

1. Go to Austria. The ambience is unbeatable for a first timer - a non-skiers' (ir boarders') vision of a ski resort is more likely to be a village that looks like Obergurgl or Alpbach, rather than Tignes or Flaine. And the apres ski atmosphere of Austria is just wonderful.
2. Go to somewhere with snow at resort level - eg Obergurgl, Obertauern or Kuhtai (though you will need to research whether all fit the bill regarding your non-skiing criteria).

In late 1992, as a skier of a few seasons, I proposed (er going skiing to Obergurgl Laughing !) to my then girlfriend of two months (who had been on two school ski trips 20 years before) - and we've happily never looked back since. Very Happy

I was thinking this - I have been to Austria a number of times and love the atmosphere - it just feels authentic to me, similarly Italy.
latest report
Handy Turnip wrote:
I went to Soldeu in Andorra for my first time, and I'd definitely recommend it! The ski instructors are British, which makes such a difference when you're an absolute beginner, not only from a communication point of view but just from a banter perspective. It can be frustrating to learn so having a laugh with all the instructors really makes the experience enjoyable.

Plus the slopes are well groomed and there's plenty of beginner friendly blues that give you that feeling that you're skiing the whole mountain rather than just being stuck on the nursery slopes. The snow making is excellent plus it has a good reputation for sun and blue skies (though obviously not guaranteed!).

Lots of decent bars for apres ski. There's not huge amounts for non-skiers to do but if you pick a hotel with a spa (such as Piolets Park & Spa) then at least there's that option for the OH.

I initially looked at Soldeu and love the idea of having a British instructor especially for the banter but I don't think it would suit - I'm pretty sure she is going to want a day away from resort or at least the slopes to recover. I.e. a day trip to Salzburg or at a Thermal Spa etc...
snow report
thecramps, I will look into it!
snow conditions
pam w wrote:
AthersT, but you could already ride a bike, so were "teaching" her

This is very true - and something that I wanted to steer clear of by agreeing we should learn to snowboard.
I think a few lessons or a day at Chill Factore or the Snowdome might help her decide whether Skiing or Boarding is best for her.
latest report
AthersT, take a look at the Radstadt/Altenmarkt area of Ski amadé as it has superb beginner facilities and good skiing for those who want to imporve. I agree with Idris, get her to learn to ski first if you want to get her hooked. You could learn to snowboard so you are both in beginner classes but not in the same one. The options for days off are great with a really good Therme in Altenmarkt and a direct train link to Salzburg if she want to take a complete day away from skiing. Loads of instructors who speak excellent English, including several native speakers (including our own flangesax among others). The transfer from Salzburg Airport is cheap (50 Euro return in a minibus taxi) and only takes 45 minutes (can be slightly longer in heavy traffic) but it is motorway all the way and fabulous scenery (e.g. the castle at Hohenwerfen which was the castle in the film "Where Eagles Dare").
ski holidays
AthersT, +1 for Soldeu, I would put the instructor aspect at the top of my list for the first year, get that bit right and you will be enjoying winter sports hols for the rest of your days, get it wrong and solo hols are on the cards ! The Piolets has a small spa area, and outside hot tub, plus you can take a bus to Anddorra la Vela to the big thermal spa Caldea if the desire is really there
On the other hand we were in Obergurgl this year, my 9 yr old son who had 4 weeks experience from previous holidays, but was still reverting to snowplough on steeper blue sections, had an English instructor Rob, who was brilliant, by the end of the week he was skiing all of the mountain, taking his mum and me into areas we don't usually venture, the Austrian schools do 2 hrs in the morning and 2 in the afternoon which really helped, it may however be a bit much for a newbie. I would go back to both resorts again for those reasons. Hope it work out for you whatever choice to take Very Happy
snow report
Samerberg Sue, I love the look of Radstadt/Altenmarkt especially being so close to so many other options for skiing/boarding within the Ski Amade. Thanks! Also I think we may well go with this plan as it will be great to be able ski/board together and be at a similar level. The OH has decided she is going to have a lesson before we book just in case she hates it. Radstadt/Altenmarkt are joint top of the list along side the Gastein valley in the list at the moment.
snow conditions
geoffknight, Thanks! There does seem to be a common theme between Austria/Andorra being the best for newbies so I think we will concentrate on that. Though I do like the look of the Bash to Livigno and we will see after she has had this lesson.
ski holidays
AthersT, Contact flangesax and see if they have any space for you, it will be a great week for you both then!
ski holidays
Hi AthersT, let us know how her lesson goes!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy