Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cheapest week for a ski holiday

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

It's that time of year where I need to request weeks off work for late 2014/early 2015. I'll probably be allowed a week off in December or January, in which we'll book a ski holiday.

There's no guarantee that I'll get the requested week, but when do you think would be the likely cheapest week(s)? Presumably January (Sat 10th, 17th, 24th or 31st - any particular one better than the others?) would be cheaper than December due to Xmas/New Year?

I've never booked earlier in the season than February before (!), so advice welcome from those (relatively) early-season lovers Smile

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
denfinella, all those weeks will be far cheaper than Christmas/New Year. From the 10th onward prices (and snow levels) tend to creep up as the month goes on. If you can go on holiday on one of those January weeks you'd be a bit bonkers to choose New Year, even if you were loaded. It's horribly crowded just about everywhere and even more crowded if, as is sometimes the case, early-season snow cover is not great.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
denfinella, A lot also depends on where you are thinking of going. The week after the eastern orthodox Christmas/New Year is usually very quiet as is the week after that. Come the end of January different regions start their winter break.

If you can wait, the cheapest but riskiest week is the week before the Christmas week. Most Austrian resorts will fully open sometime around the weekend of the 13/14th December, but the risk is whether the snow cover is good. Last year the beginning of December was actually very good in Salzburgerland, but each year is different.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, yes, I suspected that would be the case. 3rd January also seems to be cheap on some websites.

Samerberg Sue, countrywise I'm happy to go anywhere, although have only skied in France and Austria previously. January can apparently be cold so lower altitude and/or some trees might be an advantage? Haven't decided yet whether to book last minute or book in advance (or between package or DIY), but the cautious part of me worries about pre-Christmas because of the snow risk.

Out of the January weeks, are they generally about as good as each other price-wise? Main requirement is a largeish ski area (~150km+) with plenty of intermediate cruising runs.

-edit - oh, and self-drive probably not an option: two people and coming from Scotland probably makes the cost prohibitive.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've been 1st week of Jan twice now and prices are reasonable, resorts are reasonably quiet and in Austria they have some celebrations that week. Certainly would recommend it
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheapest date in my experience is the very first week of the season, usually for most TOs that is week commencing 7-10th Dec, this year it will probably be weekend of 6/7thth Dec. Go high, we tend to end up in Tignes, Val Thorens or Val D'Isere, and if you leave it late there are usually some proper bargains around due to half full chalets that the operators want as full as possible to break even.

All above three resorts have more than enough intermediate cruising runs, and plenty else besides.

Next cheapest is usually the second week of the season, then first week after New Year (but clearly not including New Year) and then you have to go really late to get a bargain and frankly by then you are starting to gamble more on conditions. By the time you book for start of Dec, you will be booking in Nov and the snow should already be on the ground in the high altitude resorts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

then you have to go really late to get a bargain and frankly by then you are starting to gamble more on conditions.

Hmm. First week of April will see better snow conditions in most places than early/mid December. Even Tignes. Well maybe especially Tignes!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mistress Panda, all good suggestions. Have actually been to Val Thorens and Val d'Isere in the past, and skied across to Tignes. However I wasn't keen on the resort runs in Val d'Isere, and Tignes and Val Thorens strike me as quite bleak for midwinter? Although yes, snow is a reliable bet there.

Have asked for w/b Sat 17th Jan, partly because if it's not possible, we'll probably get one of the weeks either side. Ending up with the week before the 6th December, or the week after 13th December, would have been bad news!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Quote:

then you have to go really late to get a bargain and frankly by then you are starting to gamble more on conditions.

Hmm. First week of April will see better snow conditions in most places than early/mid December. Even Tignes. Well maybe especially Tignes!

The first week of April is hardly "really late"
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Above 2100m the first week of May is more reliable than December and much better weather. Its also very cheap. The problem is you are limited to cham and tignes in France and glaciers elsewhere.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
denfinella, I think your instincts about trees are right. I'd prefer to risk some less-than-ideal snow a bit lower down than be stuck up in a windy treeless wilderness in Tignes or Val Thorens.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
denfinella, 17th Jan is my choice for a quiet week in Austria. The main bulk of Russians will have gone home and it'll be as quiet as it gets. Even if you get the 10th the Russian numbers will still be way down on the week before and the 24th will also be fine. If you were to wait to the 31st you start to pick up numbers as mid term approaches. I went the corresponding week to next years 31st in 2013 and was unpleasantly surprised how busy it was.

I've picked Saalbach for that week, I think the village itself would be classed as slightly higher than average for Austria but with plenty tree line skiing it should be the best of both worlds.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I can't find anything as cheap as last year (Soll in February with Crystal) package-wise this year, so it's looking increasingly like a DIY holiday. Flights into Geneva and Grenoble are both reasonable at the moment for the weeks we're interested in, and we're currently looking at Serre Chevalier, Les Saisies and Alpe d'Huez. Anyone have experience of general snow reliability of these resorts in mid-January?

pam w, I believe you're the person to ask about Les Saisies! Do you know any particularly cheap apartments there (or anywhere in L'Espace Diamant)? Have found one for just under £200 (per room for a week!) in Serre Chevalier (Chantemerle) - do you think we're likely to beat or match that?

Thank you
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't believe you guys haven't thought about Kaprun! The lift pass covers Zell am See, the local slopes and also the Glacier, so if the snow is dodgy you are always guaranteed snow on the Glacier. If you base yourself in Kaprun its less than a 10 minute bus ride either way. To give you an idea of prices, our place in Kaprun offers fully catered accommodation for £325pp/pw w/c 13th Dec & £425pp/pw w/c 3rd Jan. In either of these weeks you would avoid the queues, but being Austria there is always a party to be found for those who go looking!!! wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
denfinella wrote:
I can't find anything as cheap as last year (Soll in February with Crystal) package-wise this year, so it's looking increasingly like a DIY holiday.

When did you book that holiday?

was it a last minute jobby, or did you book it around now?

As for ADH, we went 10th January this year...............the snow was "OK".............had 1 dump in the middle of teh week which was beautiful.

If the wife and I can find a late deal we will be going back there again for the same week.

(I too have looked at DIY, but for 2 people I can't get it any cheaper than a package, and you also have the fact that if anything goes wrong the TO has to get you home)
ski holidays
1st and 2nd weeks of January are usually the only weeks that we sometimes don't rent our apartment out. One year I offered it to people at work free of charge for those two weeks but nobody with kids were able to get the time off.
snow report
kiteman69, I booked in November. Flights, transfer & accommodation were £718 (in total, not each), and there was a buy one get one half price offer on lift passes which was a bonus. Yes, for DIY to be worth it for 2 people it seems like you need to be lucky with flights, accommodation AND transfers - difficult to get a good deal with all three at once.

kate.skiwear, partly because of flights, which are cheapest to Geneva and Grenoble, we're looking mostly at France now, or anywhere close to those airports. Also looking for over c. 150km of slopes.

emwmarine, sounds promising if we do end up going with a late deal!
ski holidays
denfinella, In november, prices for January should be noticeably lower than they are now - although you will still be doing quite well to get flight transfers and Half board accom for £359 per person.

I'm usually traveling solo, so prices tend to be a bit higher PP, but I usually find that package prices drop by anything up to £100 between now and mid-November.
snow report
alex_heney, thanks for that, I didn't realise. Is it generally just packages that drop around November?
snow report
In my experience there often doesn't seem to be much difference between prices in Jan whichever week you go though the first week may be slightly cheaper. If there are only 2 of you I would be inclined to pick my week in Jan and then leave it till the last minute to book, you can then see what snow is like and you should be able to get a deal at that time of year. Depends on how flexible you are prepared to be and whether your nerves can stand the waiting!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy