Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last Minute Ski booking - early season

Poster: A snowHead
There is a chance that I might be able to get away for a cheeky early ski this year with my daughter. Her school breaks up on the 12th December, so we could get off and have a weekend plus a couple of days before the big Christmas rush occurs starting the weekend after (19/20/21).

It will be early season, so conventional wisdom says to book flights to Geneva/Grenoble and book accommodation a week before once the snow has fallen and I can see what is open.... however.... I have no way of knowing whether *I* can get off work for those few days yet.

So. Let's assume that I was going to try and sort everything out over the weekend of the 5th December (once it is clearer which resorts are open).

a) How to get there?
Plane is one option, but would overnight train be better for cost/luggage. I normally drive for week trips, but it seems crazy for a 3-4 day trip.

b) Which country is most likely?
Which is the more likely venue that early in the season; Alps or Austria?

c) Tour Operator or Self-book?
I can't imagine that the tour operators do short trips, so I am guessing Self-Book.

d) Hotel or Chalet?
Another guess would be booking the Hotel as a standard short-stay over the web, but is it "easy" to find catered chalets for a few days before the week-long trippers turn up?

All help gratefully received.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

a) How to get there?
Plane is one option, but would overnight train be better for cost/luggage. I normally drive for week trips, but it seems crazy for a 3-4 day trip.

The plane would be generally cheaper and a car hire from Geneva for 4 days not unreasonable. Getting to Paris for the overnight train may be a bit more difficult, but you could try flying to CdG. Personally I would fly

Quote:

Or even the Austrian Alps. It is really a choice of resort not country. Remember that the big French resorts will be packed with British students

Quote:

c) Tour Operator or Self-book?
I can't imagine that the tour operators do short trips, so I am guessing Self-Book.

And why not self book. IMHO it is easier than going through a travel agent or operator

Quote:

d) Hotel or Chalet?
Another guess would be booking the Hotel as a standard short-stay over the web, but is it "easy" to find catered chalets for a few days before the week-long trippers turn up?

A Hotel will be easier, and if you hire a car then the hotel doesn't have to be in the resort. Try Aime for the Tarentaise resorts, or Gressoney for Monte Rosa.

Quote:

So. Let's assume that I was going to try and sort everything out over the weekend of the 5th December (once it is clearer which resorts are open).

Resorts publish their opening and closing dates well in advance (after all they have to start employing the staff) but certainly you could probably leave the booking until December.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jamescollings wrote:
....I can't imagine that the tour operators do short trips...

Some do, skiweekends.com and igoski.co.uk for example do trips 2-5 days. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Are you still looking? We can help you at www.liebelauterbrunnen.ch or www.lovelauterbrunnen.com
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks Ozibird. We'll be looking over the weekend before (around 5th Dec).. so every suggestion is being logged and will be explored at that time.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.

There the same thing aren't they?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It is getting closer, and I'm beginning to be drawn to Solden. Reading the Trip reports; It looks like it'll have snow by 13th December, some of the more "interesting" bars will be quiet since it is before the rush, and it has a decent/quick transfer from Innsbruck. SleazyJet do good timed flights to/from... what is not to like?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jamescollings, I haven't seen the flight schedules but it'd be worth looking at Zurich too. there are way more flights there, and from memory the drive to solden from there isn't too bad. It also gives you the option of going to most of the Swiss resorts (and St Anton) by either car or train if you want.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well... I left it as late as I could... and the lack of snow has limited my choice... So I've just booked flights to Innsbruck and plan on booking a Hotel in Solden.

What's the best/quickest/cheapest way to get from Innsbruck to Solden. Is there the equivalent of AlpiBus who will do shared transfers at a reasonable pace?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
try tirol taxi otherwise known as four seasons they do shared transfer from innsbruck and munich don't know the cost though

also if possible check out the trains if there is a station near Solden....very reliable and cheap
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You can book a shuttle transfer from the airport or main station in Innsbruck to Solden.

http://www.soelden.com/getting-there-winter

https://booking.oetztaler.at/index.php?lang=en (this takes you directly through to the shuttle booking form)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well.. There are 2 of us going and the prices look like this:
Shared Shuttle: 230Eu (possibly per person, to difficult to tell from the website)
Private Taxi: 370Eu
Hire Car: 90Eu
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jamescollings, amazing isn't it... Similar to me going to London it's technically cheaper to drive than take the train. How is that work? Least you have the comfort of your own space!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm not sure what sort of resort you are looking for but I love Obergurgle which is next door to Solden and is pretty snowsure. It would be quieter, and less concrete.

It's not a huge ski area but you can get a pass which would cover you for one day at solden too.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Actually... After posting that update on Friday... I searched for hotels and couldn't find a decently located one with space in Solden.... So I booked for Obergurgl. We're in the Haus Gurgl which has just been re-furbished (we might be the guinea-pigs for the season). We're only there for 2 halfdays and 2 full days, so I recon Ober and Hoch will be enough for us. Trip report will be written up on return.
Getting all excited now!
ski holidays
jamescollings wrote:
Well.. There are 2 of us going and the prices look like this:
Shared Shuttle: 230Eu (possibly per person, to difficult to tell from the website)
Private Taxi: 370Eu
Hire Car: 90Eu

are those prices each way? (obviously with the exception of the car hire)
snow report
Might not be your thing James but the live band at the Nederhutte is awesome and not to be missed. They play 3 or 4 times a week starting at about 5. If you want a seat you'll need to be in before 4

Hope you have a great time.
snow report
@jamescollings, we used whitedescents.com for a private transfer last year at half terms. 170euros each way door to door from Innsbruck IIRC. Service was excellent.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy