Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

this years/last years/older skis - whats the difference ???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
In my lunch time, I always seem to be looking at ski's, I must be obsessed or something with skiing Wink

Which leads me to, as each season goes by there seems to always be a new set of ski's out from every manufacturer. Is there really that much difference each year or if I was to buy some, anything from the last few years will still be a "good ski".

I'm not an expert, I'm not going to be going off piste much (unless I miss a turn) so for mostly on piste are the ski's that different between the years that if I buy a cheaper pair from last year or the year before, I'll not notice any difference if I'd bought some from the new seasons ski ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
the colour?

even if you buy this year's skis, next year they'll be last year's, and probably still work Wink

2 years ago might have been a bit different, as they all raced each other to get a tiny bit of tip rocker in to all the new model piste skis, following K2's successful marketing from 3 years ago.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Depends on the model. Some skis have had nothing but graphics changes, others are completely new but with the same name.

Don't worry about how old they are though, just decide if they match what you want in a ski. Last season I bought some skis that were discontinued two seasons prior, and were designed 4-5 years before that. Very very happy with them too; they did exactly what I wanted at a very low price (well actually they were 'free' from SportPursuit).
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Little Martin wrote:
this years/last years/older skis - whats the difference ???

The most important one is price.

The second most important difference is that you might be able to find useful reviews, or even people who've owned them and formed opinions.

Everything after that is just detail wink I suspect that if you were given two pairs of suitably anonymised unused skis of similar dimensions, one pair from a few years ago and one pair new for this season, you'd be hard pressed to work out which one was the latest and greatest.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thought so, it's just a big con to get you to pay more money Wink

thanks
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My current snowboard is 10 this year so am toying with the idea of something new and shiny... But then I feel like that every year, 'tis the season after all.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My 2 newest pairs of skis are from 2004 and I think they're brill, better than the ones I hired about 5 years ago and I got 2 pairs for £100. must admit though they were a vast improvement on my older ones which are from about 94 although as others have said they're different styles of skis. Id still love to take the old long straight ones out on piste every now and again if I could justify taking them with me.

id look at it this way, you could spend 3-400 on a brand new set of skis or you could spend the same amount and get a top of the range set of powder skis and a top of the range pair of park skis which are a couple of years old
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Technology changes but unless you ski a lot changes can be too incremental to worry about. 2 years old model is still a good ski and close to the latest models but a 10 year old ski is fairly different.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just the other day I was standing in front of my 20 year old Völkl P20 RSs and was thinking I need to dump these... I don't think I could ski them anymore. Maybe I should try,just for fun (probably someone else's)!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Steilhang, For the longest time I had a set of P10RS I used to take out on the dryslope once year. Yes you can still ski on them, and yes they are fun !

Little Martin, Best ski == Free 2nd best == last years at a huuuge discount/or 2nd hand Last of all ==== this years !

Mrs Ski has just (well last year) changed from 10+ year old Dynastar Intuitiv Bigs to new-but two year old Volkl Auras --- and yes we did see a difference ! But year on year ... mostly just the colour changes...
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Piste skis are generally cruising along, little tweaks and gimmicks, but a good pair from 10 years is probably still a good pair.

Off-piste are changing pretty quickly, especially over the last 4/5 years as most started incorperating reverse camber, turning old barndoors into great rides. clarky999, is talking 4front which is cheating a bit as they were years ahead of their time back then wink

just check the camber profile is roughly the same as the new ones and you will know whether they will be as good, materials and radiuses arent doing much special.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ski, I had intuitive bigs 10 years ago and they were quite old then! would be fun to have a day on them again but they are long since sold Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So often but not always, it is, as has been thankfully already stated, a matter of graphics for all practical purposes. Yes, sometimes there's a tweak of proclaimed "improvement", but otherwise......... Well, you get it. Sure, a ski from perhpas ten years ago may not be as great as its same brand counterpart today. On the otherhand, I still sometimes use a set from ten years go whose performance is (still) anything but lacking.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ive had my k2 vicious since 2006 ... After reading much about the rocker tip and tail and the big fat mountain ski that would help my surf the powder and make it all so much easier and enjoyable, i went out and tried some. So after that I did buy another set of skis from a snowhead in 2011.. Funnily, they were a pair of 2006 k2 vicious...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If you could tell the difference between this years ski and last years ski, you wouldn't need to ask the question wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy