Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Decorating a Ski Helmet

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I appreciate this question may not appeal to all Snowheads!

Has anyone ever painted or decorated a ski helmet? I appreciate that skiing isn't all about fashion (and I'm probably the least fashionable person you'll ever meet!), but Helmets have somewhat spoiled the unusual variety of headwear that I used to see on the slopes. Granted, you still see the odd funny hat, but I always used to enjoy seeing amusing headwear.

Seeing as most helmets are quite plain, especially the better ones, I was wondering if anyone had attempted to decorate theirs? I'm looking at buying a helmet this year and I'm considering buying a white one, then finding someone with some artistic talent to decorate it for me!

Thanks, Ian
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It would almost certainly make it ineffective. I'd rather have a boring one that saved my brains in a crash rather than a pretty one that didn't.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would it? Even if you just used permanent marker or something similar?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
From http://www.uvex-sports.com/de-en/wintersports/faq/ski-helmets/

Quote:
uvex does not offer custom helmet painting. Please note that, when painting, applying stickers, or varnishing, the paints, adhesives, or varnishes may contain components which negatively affect the stability of the helmet and thus its protective effect. If changes like this have been made, we would have to exercise our exemption from liability.

There are a couple of threads on it on here somewhere.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wasn't there a thread about fancy helmet covers. The kids have got animal ones.

EDIT. Might have been started by/in response to a spammer
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
People get overly precious about this and seeing most manufacturers sticker the hell out of them, you'll be fine. I'm sure Admin will happily sell you some Snowheads stickers to improve your steez no end. Avoid sticking anything on which could penetrate the shell in the event of an accident. Avoid sticking anything on which could snag in tight spaces, so the antler horns are probably a no-no.

If you want to paint it, don't use spirit based paints as it can degrade the plastics. The shells are normally polycarbonate, so use a flexible acrylic for good results as it resists cracking. A lot of shells are gloss finished, so you may want to lightly rough up the surface with very fine grade sandpaper to get a good surface to paint on, but obviously don't go too mad with that. Personally I'd go down the masking/stenciling route and work from there with spraycans or airbrush for a finer finish.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well theres a really good reason not to buy a UVEX helmet Claude B... What next, don't get them wet, don't go out in sunshine? Do not apply to head?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Richard_Sideways, It just appeared in a search I haven't got one. I've got a snowHead sticker on the back of mine but wouldn't go for anything more elaborate.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
OP: The trick is to find out what the helmet shells are actually made from (probably ABS or polycarbonate?), and then use appropriate paints/solvents/adhesives. Most manufacturers will tell you not to do anything at all, because to do otherwise would potentially expose them to legal issues.

These guys make helmets and sell custom paint jobs with fancy airbrush work and so on, so its clearly practical: http://www.troyleedesigns.com/paint/pricing

Richard_Sideways wrote:
What next, don't get them wet, don't go out in sunshine?

Blimey, you don't expose your safety gear to UV do you? That'll wear it out in no time!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks everyone.

I've looked at the covers and people do say they make custom covers, but I imagine you can get more elaborate with a more direct decoration probably for less money too.
I'll try to accommodate some Snowheads stickers on somewhere (although I've PM'd admin a few times and haven't heard back?).

Thanks for the paint tips, Richard_Sideways. Would spraypaint or airbrush chip or scratch easily?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks Serriadh, I'll wait until I've got my helmet then work out what's feasible and what isn't Smile
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
many motorbike lids are custom airbrushed, but the material is much more rigid than a ski version.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thebronsonite, you can clearcoat ovet the top to protect but helmet vs ski edge/pole tip/kick across hall is always going to result in a scratch.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mine has a custom spray, but then im one of those Ruroc idiots that everybody hates. I use a company called http://www.reborntobewild.com/

They use paints that do not effect the integrity of the helmet. They produce some awesome work - check out there website and facebook page - if they are good enough for F1 teams, they are good enough for me Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 2-09-14 13:59; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yeah, I expect the odd scratch, but some protection would be better than none!
ski holidays
Thanks PaulC1984, I'll check it out. How much did yours cost, if you don't mind me asking?
ski holidays
Cost me £150, that included consultation, colour matching with my jacket etc. Was very very pleased with the result. I know most people here hate ruroc (god knows why I think they look cool and they do provide good protection/fit) and people tend to slate people who custom spray their lids, but hey its only the same as putting stickers all over your gear (which loads tend to do) but sexier!
snow report
Anybody paint their helmet using a brush rather than spray? What kind of paint will work on Briko FIS approved helmets?
snow conditions
Just get one of those lovely colourful sucker-attaching mohicans. Go on, you know you want to Laughing
snow report
For why? Pray, tell, for why?
ski holidays
WIFergie wrote:
Anybody paint their helmet using a brush rather than spray? What kind of paint will work on Briko FIS approved helmets?

Very helpful reply.
snow report
Boeri used to provide stickers to go on their helmets, strange they would do that if they compromise the helmet integrity that much.
I did manage to crack my Boeri helmet, but in the place where it hit the rock, not where the factory fitted sticker was.
I also split a Protec one and did not have any adornment whatsoever.
ski holidays
@WIFergie, ... to a not a very helpful original question. Why do you want to paint it?

I'd imagine typically a bad idea due to potential chemical interactions leading to possible integrity failure - and unlikely to be encouraged by the manufacturer.
snow report
@WIFergie, For brushwork you want an acrylic or latex base enamel paint. I've worked with it on polycarbonate for detail work before over-spraying.

Problem with brushwork is that the paint goes on a lot thicker than a spray or airbrush so takes a lot longer to dry properly before you can build up whatever it is you're trying to do, and the paint has a tendency to drag.
snow report
@under a new name, I have a graphic as an antidote to the proliferation of Red Bulls on so many ski helmets and other sports' equipment. It's a "No Bull" picture.
latest report
@Richard_Sideways, Thanks for the information.
snow report
@WIFergie, why not go down the 'Drink Water' route for the anti-energy drink vibe. They have a nice big di-cut vinyl stickers for $10 - you'll spend more than that on paint.

https://www.wedrinkwater.com/products/die-cut-sticker-pack
latest report
It's a difficult one. As many know, my company provides expertise in installations and inspections for theatrical machinery and lifting equipment and I do, for some reason, end up inspecting everyone's personal fall protection equipment (and thus usually all the rest of their PPE as well) as part of the theatre or company's inspections.

It is common for manufacturers to state that paints and stickers should not be used. The main reasons stated are:
- That there could be oils, chemicals, solvents etc in the paint/sticker glue etc that could react badly with the plastics used in the helmet, and weaken them.
- That applying a sticker, or a thick-coat paint job over a point of existing damage or wear could hide it from inspection
- That applying a sticker, or a thick-coat paint job to a helmet could hide evidence of damage that occurs after the decoration is applied

Personally I feel that the top one - whilst following it might be wise from a litigation sense - is a bit of a get-out clause for the manufacturer. If the material is so sensitive to oils and solvents and adhesives, then really it should only be handled with gloves on and clearly that's not practical either.

The second two are, in my opinion, more pertinent. As an inspector, it is important for me to be able to see the material in detail to study whether any damage, wear or deterioration has occurred. Particularly with expensive equipment, it is common for companies to identify that their equipment has deteriorated to a point where it might fail, and either try to paint over it, put a sign over it, or move it to an inaccessible location; to try and avoid me noticing the damage (and frankly they probably succeed sometimes - success means I didn't find out!).

Now my betting is that very few snowheads realise that their helmet, boots, goggles, gloves, back protector, airbag, etc etc... are personal protective equipment (PPE) and that if they were in the workplace, then this equipment would be legally subject to routine inspections to prevent damage going unnoticed. And thus my betting is that very few snowheads act on that principle by doing their own thorough inspections of their gear. I expect most people just get it out of storage every winter and pack it.

My advice would be that if you attach stickers to your helmet, you do so in the understanding that they may prevent damage being observed on the helmet and that therefore you:
- Carefully inspect the surface of the helmet prior to attaching the stickers to look for signs of damage
- Carefully inspect the surface of the helmet after any minor impacts, removing any stickers that might prevent you from doing this properly
- Dispose of the helmet after any major impact, regardless of whether damage is visible or not

I have stickers on my helmet too so I'm not going to tell anyone not to do it, but it cannot be at the expense of your safety. Inspections aren't meant to catch all flaws but they are designed to spot defects before they are dangerous. Inspections are commonplace in good companies because they do prevent accidents. I would encourage everyone to thoroughly inspect their gear before using it and, if necessary, remove any decoration that would obstruct a thorough inspection.

As a result of the above, I would not advocate that anyone painted their protective equipment.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy