Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno, Jan 17, HB,xfer, liftpass, lessons and ski hire, sub £500?

Poster: A snowHead
Last Winter, Custard the Rabbit, Gregory and I were minding our own business in Warth when out of the blue we were kindly invited to Livigno to get a taste of what it was like.
In particular, our hosts were very excited about the fact that Monarch had agreed to fly into Friedrichshafen this coming Winter (I understand BA do too) as this fixes the old problem of the long transfer from Milan. Hence, transfer should be just 2-3hrs.

Main points for Livigno seem to be:
- It's snow-sure from very early till very late in the season.
- It has a lot of wide slopes and, in particular gentle ones close to the town making it rather ideal for beginners.
- Being a little Wild-West-frontier-town-like, way up in the mountains, it's not constrained by normal Italian tax laws and so is generally rather inexpensive - particularly for a night out.

Putting these two together seemed to me to suggest the prospect of a trip with a particular slant towards helping get beginners up and running.
Most of us probably know someone who has been meaning to learn to ski but not found the moment yet - well this could well be it!

After a fair bit of haggling, I've managed to get, what has to surely be one of our best bargains yet.
How about everything but the airfare for sub £500? Shocked
The date will be the 17th Jan

Not everyone needs what beginners need so, we could run 2 inclusive deals:
Everyone gets:
- A week, Half Board accom.
- Rtn Transfer From Friedrichshafen.

Beginners get:
- Points based lift pass (small lifts use up fewer points than major ones so there should be enough to last a starter all week)
- Ski (and boot) Hire
- 2hrs/day Lessons (upgrade to 3hrs possible)

Not Beginners get:
- Full area 6 day lift pass
- Ski Hire (no boots)

The included ski hire will be at the most basic level which, of course, should suit beginners fine, but there'll be upgrades possible too.

Prices:
Exact prices to be confirmed but we're looking at a guide price of...
£495pp for a place in a quad room
£545pp for a place in a Triple
£595pp for a place in a Tw/Dbl

Skyscanner suggests flights are coming in at under £100 rtn.

I need an idea of how much interest there is for this as I'll need to commit to beds pretty soon.
So hit the relevant button(s), above please! snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 6-10-14 12:26; edited 9 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
xx
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lufthansa fly there too just checked prices £177 from Aberdeen via Frankfurt. Free ski carriage Good old Lufthansa.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Shame the dates exclude me. I had my first ski holiday in Livigno. Where I got hooked even though my skiing was a total fail. It was inexpensive with lots of sun, pasta & great ice cream, my kids loved it.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like a good trip and a new destination for me to notch up snowHead However, as I'm already booked to go skiing in the USA later in January, the usual dates for the PSB would be far more favourable if I'm honest....

Edit: btw and FWIW, I'm guessing the BA flights will probably work out cheaper than Monarch if you're looking to take your own skis with you snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Any further info??
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What a great idea. But since I've already booked 4 trips, including 2 Bashes, not for me this time.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Will be spending the month in Serre Chevalier, so sadly not.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sorry, defo can't do this now Sad
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Does this look like it's happening?

Dan
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sorry, been a bit busy with the ski test this past week or two but yes it is, definitely - on the 17th snowHead

Just need to sort the final price etc. (It won't be more than quoted above).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ok, will start booking flights Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Currently £73 on skyscanner
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wow! That's good snowHead
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Flight booked, If anyone else is traveling from the South West let me know Smile
ski holidays
scubadancer wrote:
FWIW, I'm guessing the BA flights will probably work out cheaper than Monarch if you're looking to take your own skis with you snowHead

It comes to a similar amount if flying from Gatwick taking a hold bag & skis. If you book BA business class going out if comes to about £179 giving you the perks on the way out & 2 hold bags each way, one can be skis.
Shame I can't make it, I love the pasta, latte macchiatos, ice cream & cheap booze in Livigno. I can't comment on the skiing as I spent much of the week in a deck chair sunbathing & watching my kids learn on the nursery slopes.
latest report
DanMcDan, Which flights have you booked? I presume it would make organisation easier if people are arriving/departing at similar times.
snow conditions
1 Passengers | Saturday 17 Jan 15 | Departing 07:25 | Arrive 10:25 | Flight ZB 7288
Daniel Grant Adult No Allocated Seats No Meal 1 Hold Bag 20kg Total
Flying Back Friedrichshafen to London Gatwick
1 Passengers | Saturday 24 Jan 15 | Departing 11:25 | Arrive 12:10 | Flight ZB 7289
Daniel Grant Adult No Allocated Seats No Meal 1 Hold Bag 20kg Total

Dan
ski holidays
DanMcDan, Thanks snowHead
snow conditions
Changed my status at the top of the thread. Now need to book flights snowHead
latest report
Flights booked! snowHead
snow report
£62 from Manchester
snow conditions
I might be interested in this along with my partner. Are there spaces left on this trip?
snow report
Oh yes calbris, definitely places. I only got final confirmation of the number of places we have yesterday. Sign-up buttons now imminent snowHead
latest report
Great news! Do you have any more information about the accommodation?
ski holidays
It's Called "Original Galli" and is right next to the bottom of the piste.
It has a little apres bar and restau.
We have the whole place but it's not huge so places will be limited to around 20.
In particular though, there are only 3 double rooms so couples need to get on the list early.

It looks like this:
snow conditions
Perfect location for first time skiers. Just across the road from the ski school & nursery slopes.
ski holidays
Really good memories of Livigno, an excellent place to learn to ski.
It felt like a 'proper' ski resort being right in the middle of the mountains, especially when it used to take 5 hours by coach to get there from Zurich.

Some excellent Italian restaurants, reasonably priced apres ski and you must try the bomardino.

You'll need some decent thermals at that time of year as it used to get really cold, I remember it being -20 in the village some evenings and the Motolino (I think) chairlift used to be very chilly.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Their motivation for inviting us was that they were excited about Monarch agreeing to run a regular Saturday service to Friedrichshafen which halves the transfer time.
It transpires since that BA have put on a flight there too!

Spoilt for choice we are Smile
snow report
Flights booked and now train booked....jeez I am somewhat organised....

Dan
latest report
Driven there twice - not for the faint hearted as you have to drive over high and windy, snowcovered mountain roads. Flown there once.

Great town with good food, great restaurants, good apres and all for probably the cheapest rate in the Alps. Though prices are rising fast!

I filled my liqueur cabinet from there last Christmas and it is still going strong. 3 litres bottle of Smirnoff for 15 euros, 1 litre of Johnny Walker black for 17 euros.
You get the picture. When we flew there 6 or so years ago the airline we went with had no weight limit on sports equipment. There was so much booze, the check
in lady thought we had a body in my board-bag!

The trip's half-board, but if you do have time to eat out I heartily recommend:

- Bait dal Ghet - an institution, very cheap, fantastic pizzas and free drinks, the hosts don't like it if you don't have a glass in your hand! Great atmosphere.
- Restaurant under the Hotel Bivio - not to be confused with the restaurant on the ground floor of the Hotel Bivio. This is on the luxury end of the scale, but for
40-50 euros a head, you can have a meal that would cost you twice that in most European cities. That place alone is reason enough for me to go back!
ski holidays
Hi All,
I just joined the forum looking for a trip. This looks great! I am a boarder though, so was wondering if there are any other boarders coming on the trip or any opinions on these slopes for boarding?
Cheers
James
snow report
Also, it appears it is a ~6 hr train trip from Friedrichshafen to Livigno, which might be problematic for return flights on the 24th from Friedrichshafen at ~11am?
Has anyone got a work around for this?

Cheers
ski holidays
@jamesmo, we have a bus transfer lined up (and included in the price Cool) - takes about 2 1/2 hours I think.

Slopes are totally fine for boarders. I think they've quite a decent park too.
snow report
Have just booked my flights! Looking forward to it!
snow report
admin wrote:

Slopes are totally fine for boarders. I think they've quite a decent park too.

And don't forget the half pipe that leads down into an excellent bar Toofy Grin
latest report
@Cacciatore, what was it they call that? Was it the "Bootsy funnel"?
snow report
@admin, Laughing Laughing I'm going to start campaigning for a name change for testosterone alley... which essentially performs the same function Toofy Grin
ski holidays
admin, I said half-pipe, not half-baked Toofy Grin

Anyway, it is Mickey's Bar.

Check it out at 16 secs...I am sure someone shouts out the name of a well-known snowHead. You may need to listen to it a few times, what with all the rabbiting going on....

Video no longer available
ski holidays
Yes - I didn't get it at first then I realised it was his 'outside world name' not his real one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy