Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Booking family hols for Easter 2015 - worth waiting or book now?

Poster: A snowHead
Seriously considering Easter (late March - early April) for skiing this (next?) year instead of Feb half term.

This year our (Welsh) Feb half term collides with most of the rest of the UK and so we are serviously considering Easter. Family doesn't want to go at Xmas. Harrumph.

We are not really fussed about which resort to go to (so long as it's OK for 4 intermediates - 6-8 on IOS (??) scale) so is it worth booking now or holding on? We usually use a TO rather than DIY.

Cheers

Dobby
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've tended to be a champion of the last minute deal over the years, and generally used teletextholidays.co.uk to look for last minute deals at Easter, all have worked out really well.

But last season, the ski and lakes/mountain deals were dropped from teletext and I couldn't find a good alterative that was reliable, I tried many other sites but when I called up I always got the same story, "ahh, that deal has gone". That started to raise my stress levels as we got closer and closer to Easter and in the end I had to book flights and accommodation myself.

We also go away for the second week of Jan and usually book last minute for that, we were hoping to go to Schladming last Jan but ended up in Wengen, last minute means you do have to be flexible.

No one should draw conclusions from just one persons experience, but I think last year at least there were not as many good last minute deals (for Austria) as there have been in the past.

For next year I booked Schladming DIY already and am just waiting for the Easyjet April flights to be release for Easter DIY.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby, it's worth considering why last minute deals exist in the first place. As I understand it, TOs don't always have commitments on accommodation but generally do on flights. So if they're left with unsold seats, they'll do what then can to sell them. However, once they're gone, there's little incentive to do anything.

And there are far fewer flights that there are customers. Typically.

So if there's somewhere you want to go to, flying to and from particular airports, you are generally better booking in advance. If you don't care, you only need to book early enough that there are still flights.

Personally, for a family holiday, I'd be booking earlier than later to reduce stress.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, for a TO trip in school hols I would book in advance. But a DIY last minute at easter should be Ok and could give you far more choice. It's low season for accommodation in France. If driving you could do the whole thing last minute. If flying and hiring car or transfer just book flights to a major ski airport as soon as they are released. If booking accommodation in advance for easter you need somewhere with decent altitude and slopes with varied aspects for different times of day.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
While I would agree that for DIY at Easter should be fine, I ahve to admit we have just booked for Easter ourselves!

Happened to notice an apartment we ahve used before was available so decision was made
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
There have been a couple of Easters in the last 10 years or so when conditions have been pretty poor (last winter included). Unless you're booking somewhere high with a glacier anyway I'd wait. It never seems very busy to me at Easter.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Claude B, all depends on your definition of poor, but the only Easter I'd call poor was 2011 when there skiing was pretty much confined to Arc bowl. Every other year we've been there has been plenty of snow on pistes for skiing. Sure a bit slushy late in day and no powder off piste, but plenty to ski on IMO
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Yes 2011 was awful. Even then though L2A had reasonable skiing over 2500m (still 1000m to go). Last winter L2A was far better late on than ADH which I visited a couple of times during my extended stay. 2007 wasn't a great year either. Last winter was getting very bare lower down and it didn't snow much and was hot late on (I was in L2A for the last 6 weeks of the season). I guess it's just about derisking it especially if it's your only week.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I agree with Claude B that Easter can be poor, and I wouldn't book a "low" resort in advance. Nor would I wait for a "bargain" last minute tour operator - you'd be lucky to get one, in the Easter Hols. To me, the advantage of booking last minute for Easter is to see where the snow is, not look for a cheap deal. Which means DIY, probably. But last minute flights in school hols will be very expensive - so either drive or book flights to somewhere like Geneva asap and rent a car.

I will be spending Easter in Les Saisies, as I have every year since 2003. But I wouldn't recommend someone to book in advance for Saisies, even though most of the time it's fine. It's a cheap time for French accommodation (and generally pretty quiet on the slopes - hugely preferable to half term) which is why I reckon TO packages in the Easter school hols can be poor value. You pay top dollar though there is loads of empty accommodation.

BUT - privately rented accommodation is not generally discounted - owners would leave it empty rather than risk getting it trashed by bargain hunters. So the rates you see now for Easter probably won't change. What WILL change is your knowledge about where the snow is (knowledge not to be gained by posting on Snowheads in August, not that that stops them rolling eyes ).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Easter can be poor, but equally it can be fantastic!

While I agree with the book late and see where snow is, I also like the book now to get what we want idea. For us, and many others, we have a choice of Xmas skiing, equally risky for snow, February half term, too expensive for us, or Easter. The least bad option for us is this year is Easter as is early so hopefully a fair chance of snow still
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've skied every Easter since 2007 and yes there has been some great snow, almost too much one year Happy I shall be skiing until 24th April so it had better be good.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, never said I was looking for a cheap deal. Thanks for the comments about the accommodation - will have a good think about DIY'ing this year.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
dobby, no, I realise that - I was responding to the post from JimboS, who reported difficulties finding a "deal" at Easter. It's low season in France, ski-wise, but being UK school holidays is still a "money making" time for the TOs.

DIY doesn't have to be difficult, especially if you're not trying to pare the budget down to the minimum. Flights for Easter on e.g. easyJet are not available yet, but probably will be in the next month or so, so you need to be ready to pounce if that's the way you decide to go.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dobby, why would you wait if you weren't looking for a cheap deal (other than to allow snow chasing)? And Easter this year is fairly early, almost in March.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I booked in March for first week in April this year in La Tania, there were plenty of cheap deals on for companies trying to fill spaces in chalets. Booked flights separate.
snow report
Little Martin, yes, should have included that, there is that population of chalet (or hotel) owners who own or contract for the season who may also do deals.
snow report
Do you want a quality stay ? Ie can do your own free laundry and not fight for cooking space in a hostel venue?
We can help see www.liebelauterbrunnen.ch or www.lovelauterbunnen.com. 10% discount to snow heads. W are in lovely Lauterbrunnen Switzerland....easy train access and ski friendly..of course
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy