Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short Break Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Having had the verbal OK from the other half to go skiing for a few days after Christmas as long as I would be back for the New Year Eve. I was wondering if you experts knew of any companies that offered short breaks, not interested in coach options. I would also do a DIY if that was deemed the best option.

Unfortunately I'm the only skier in the family so I will be organising something as a single traveller, not the best criteria over Christmas.

Anywhere that can accommodate a Intermediate skier, and not breaking the bank.

early replies the better please just in case someone changes her mind !!

Many thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christmas week is a high peak so you'd be reliant on a chalet owner/operator being happy to let a single room for just a few days (say between 26th and 30th of December or perhaps less. Add to this that peak weeks do tend to run weekend to weekend so the dates above run across two high peaks.

None of those features lend themselves to 'not breaking the bank' I'm afraid but if you're happy to arrange your own travel it may be worth posting a request on the Solutions Room of www.chaletsdirect.com
Good Luck Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiweekends (http://www.skiweekends.com/) have a few options available that would fit, though not very cheap. It's a busy time of year though.

There are a few B&Bs in Morzine that might work if you want to DIY - check booking.com for availability.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
wallyynot, you might be better off looking at hotels in Italy (or Austria) as they will typically be quieter than France...
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
wallyynot, try http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ray Zorro wrote:
wallyynot, try http://www.mountainsunltd.com/short_breaks/

I'm bookmarking that website in case my better half feels amenable to me and the lad going for another weekend later in the season! Ta muchly!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all, knew feedback would be good.

You've given me a fair bit of researching to do again thanks everyone.

Got to strike while the irons hot as they say.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
wallyynot, just to add one more to your list, try http://snowbeds.com/ - they are good for short breaks!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Overnight trains might suit - for example you could get a direct overnight service from London to Bourg St Maurice and Ski Les Arcs without a transfer

No flat beds on the Eurostar though and you'd need to change at Paris if you are not traveling on Friday (out) Saturday (back) - I think

Details:
http://www.seat61.com/ski-by-train.htm#Eurostar%20daytime%20Ski%20Train

It might be worth checking out airbnb for somewhere to stay - you would be renting a private room so read the small print
http://www.airbnb.co.uk
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Alternatively, you could stay in Innsbruck and test out different resorts in the region.

Innsbruck being a city would also make it much easier to book short stays (plus their Christmas Market should still be up which might come in handy on the souvenir front to ensure further trips).

The Ibis at the Hauptbahnhof (main station) is very handy for either taking a train (direct train to St. Anton for instance) or skibus to one of the ski many ski resorts in the area (such as Kühtai, Axamer Lizum, Patscherkofel, the Nordkette, Schlick 2000, Stubaital).

Easyjet & BA fly direct to Innsbruck from London Gatwick or alternatively, flight to Munich S-Bahn to München Ost & train to Innsbruck.

http://www.deutschebahn.com/de/start.html
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yep, as Schneeflocke says, DIY, off the beaten track. FLexibility. Only issue is you may get diverted to Munich id Innsbruck is weatherbound...but even Easyjet sorted the busses for us when we had an issue...added 5 hours to the return trip though.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I've used these before and they were very good.

http://www.karibuni.co.uk/ski-holidays/ski-weekends.html
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
A company similar to mega bus (probably slightly better coaches) now run quite a few busses from munich to innsbruck (2.5 hours ish) if you do get stuck or find a cheap flight into Munich for around 10 - 15 euros - meinfernbus Wink

Lets hope the Tirol gets more snow this year. If the summer is anything to go by (lots of rain) it should be a fantastic winter.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chalet Chardons in Tignes Les Brev is cheap accom
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
thanks again everyone.

Door is still open for me to go, might be closed and locked when I get back though !!
snow report
wally,

I've been doing some long weekend skiing for many years and lessons learned are:
1. generally better going DIY, find the accommodation, the rest is easy
2. focus on resorts within 1-2 hours drive of an airport and hire a car - maximises time in resort, car gives you more accommodation options (drive to lifts)
3. go out of peak times - people are very reluctant to taking bookings for part of a week when that is likely to mean that the miss a full week occupancy
4. counterintuitively, if you go off peak you get better options nearer departure. Reason is going back to point 3. Some hotels only take short bookings when they feel they have exhausted the chance of full week bookings. Not all though
5. I don't always do it but there is a good case for buying cheap flights to an airport with loads of resorts nearby (Geneva, Turin, Innsbruck) and backing yourself to find a hotel near the time. But again probably only offpeak

I think Xmas is tricky for short breaks
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy